Does Ash have the guts to fire Jamie Marshall?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Does Ash have the guts to fire Jamie Marshall?

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:41 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:Going back to the title of this thread......in a word "NO!"

Tonight's 5:30pm KBZK sports report had today's press conference with Coach Ash.

His words regarding the defense which was statistically one of the worst in the nation:

"We didn't perform as well on defense as we need to here, talked to the defensive staff about that, that we've got to find some ways to get better, we have to. I mean it's absolutely essential for this program. One of the ways you get better is to have good players playing for your team and so that's what we're gonna focus on right now is personnel on defense."
Is that an accurate quote? If so, wow!
Yeah, what does that say to the players you already have who really aren't as bad as the scheme makes them.
If Ash thinks it's a player problem, I'm losing hope for much of anything past just 7 win seasons until someone else takes over.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 pm

i know that tensions are high but i think some are looking a little much into these comments. for one, coaches are going to say things to the media. it doesn't meant that is ALL they have to say. they are not going to tell the media everything that is said between them and their staff.

second, everything he said is true. we DIDN'T play as well on defense as we need to. we all agree. just because he didn't come out and say this defense sucks balls doesn't mean he's downplaying how they performed.

next, he said he talked to his defensive staff about it. isn't that what we want? he knows they didn't perform well for several reasons and he talked to his staff about that.

finally, he said it's essential that we finds WAYS to get better on defense. again I agree. we do need to find ways to get better. and ONE of those ways is to get good players on that side of the ball. can we disagree with any of that? especially seeing as though we are smack dab in the middle of recruiting and kids signing i think this was a very smart thing to say. i don't however believe that he is saying everything with the defense is great, the coaching is amazing, and if we only had players we'd be unstoppable...

but i do see why people might choose to interpret his words this way at this time.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Tonight's 5:30pm KBZK sports report had today's press conference with Coach Ash.

His words regarding the defense which was statistically one of the worst in the nation:

"We didn't perform as well on defense as we need to here, talked to the defensive staff about that, that we've got to find some ways to get better, we have to. I mean it's absolutely essential for this program. One of the ways you get better is to have good players playing for your team and so that's what we're gonna focus on right now is personnel on defense."
Yeah, what does that say to the players you already have who really aren't as bad as the scheme makes them.
If Ash thinks it's a player problem, I'm losing hope for much of anything past just 7 win seasons until someone else takes over.
Pretty much relegated to mediocrity.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:41 pm

I'll have the full transcript of yesterday's press conference as well as the audio in a podcast form uploaded tomorrow.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Pretty much relegated to mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:30 pm

The thing that drove me nuts was when we couldn't stop a single drive (Eastern last year, and most of the games this year) no adjustments were ever made mid game. How stupid is it to change nothing and hope something changes?!! How about go to bump and run in the second half, or how about using a nickel package or I don't know how about ANYTHING different!!!!!!

I hate dark pink

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:45 pm

](*,)

This space for rent....

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:53 pm

The definition of insanity........continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:23 am

91catAlum wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
John K wrote:
Bobcat80 wrote:Maybe page 9 of a thread isn't the best place to ask this question, but I don't think a new subject is warranted at this point. As long as we're bashing on Marshall, here goes. Something I noticed throughout the game on Saturday was the fact that our db's rarely turned their heads around on pass plays. In fact, I've noticed this a lot through the years. I know it's not always possible, but I saw a lot of passes that very easily could have been knocked down on Saturday just by simply turning the head around. Many were on 3rd down as well. Is this something that falls on Marshall and/or Brandon North as well; or is it simply that the players aren't thinking about proper technique on the field? I apologize if this has been discussed on another thread.
Not to mention that if there is contact on the play, the defender will be far more likely to get flagged for PI, if he isn't looking for the ball.
Part of this may be blamed on pure athleticism and speed. It's harder to run fast with your head turned,,,, really try it. The other thing that's over simplified
is knowing when to turn your head. Turn too soon and the receiver jukes on you and your jock strap ends up in 12th row so the safest plan on say a fly route
is to key on the receiver.
Fair enough. I'm sure that knowing exactly when to take your eyes off the receiver and look for the ball is not as easy as it looks, but it seems like most other teams do a better job in teaching that skill to their DB's, than MSU has done during the Ash/Marshall era, and our relatively low number of INT would seem to verify that.
Actually it isn't all that hard. When the receiver turns his head back to look for the ball, you turn yours too.
I don't mean to make light of it. Yes you do need to be a good athlete to be running full speed, watching the receiver, and turn your head and quickly locate the football right when the receiver does. But you don't need ESP either.

Yup. Been saying this for years. Our corners an safeties drive me nuts. Or maybe nuttier. Did someone earlier say we coach them to not look for ball when receiver does???? That would be real weird but would explain why no one seems to do what is a natural reaction for that position.

Man up and bump. Takes receivers out of their routes and are closer to line of scrimmage for run D.

Best athletes on the team usually are corners/safeties. Need combo of speed, athletisizem (sp) and ability/affinity to blast folks. Only position more fun to play than corner is free safety.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:05 am

ilovethecats wrote:i know that tensions are high but i think some are looking a little much into these comments. for one, coaches are going to say things to the media. it doesn't meant that is ALL they have to say. they are not going to tell the media everything that is said between them and their staff.

second, everything he said is true. we DIDN'T play as well on defense as we need to. we all agree. just because he didn't come out and say this defense sucks balls doesn't mean he's downplaying how they performed.

next, he said he talked to his defensive staff about it. isn't that what we want? he knows they didn't perform well for several reasons and he talked to his staff about that.

finally, he said it's essential that we finds WAYS to get better on defense. again I agree. we do need to find ways to get better. and ONE of those ways is to get good players on that side of the ball. can we disagree with any of that? especially seeing as though we are smack dab in the middle of recruiting and kids signing i think this was a very smart thing to say. i don't however believe that he is saying everything with the defense is great, the coaching is amazing, and if we only had players we'd be unstoppable...

but i do see why people might choose to interpret his words this way at this time.
I agree, tensions are high! The season is over and a good majority of us don't think with the talent we have we should be sitting at home.
As far as telling the media everything... this is an interview where a very friendly and defensive Ted Dawson asked what does Ash think of of the calls to have him fired.... so wouldn't it reason that Ash would tell everything he is doing to correct what he perceives as problems? The gamesmanship is over, there is no opponent next week!

Second he did come out and say the personnel on defense was not good... may not "sucks balls" but he did blame the personnel... no mention of the coaching. Let's not forget those kids out there are told what to do! They are coached during the week and during the game they have their assignments and are accountable to perform. If they don't perform it entirely up to the coaches to make changes!

So talk to the defensive staff? Sure good start, but apparently the defensive staff doesn't want to point the fingers at themselves so the simple answer is we don't have the talent... seriously we only have the talent to be one of the worst defensive teams in the nation? I don't buy it! And if you say yes that's what we have... what have we been doing the last eight years to not end up with the worst talent in the nation? Is that the players fault too?

And Finally... yes having good players is one WAY to have a good defense. BUT it is not the ONLY good way! It is simply, as you put it ONE way! Eight years of coaching should not subject the team to ONE way of blame for poor defense. The coaches HAVE to accept their share of blame. Refuting the responsibility for performance is nothing short of a cop out, and what message does that send to the team? To the Recruits?

With the exception of Ash, I have never heard an MSU coach pass an entire season of blame off to just his players! Time to man up Ash and take the blame where it rests. Unless you face your short comings, you will never be able to fix them!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:39 am

CatRowdy wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:i know that tensions are high but i think some are looking a little much into these comments. for one, coaches are going to say things to the media. it doesn't meant that is ALL they have to say. they are not going to tell the media everything that is said between them and their staff.

I agree, tensions are high! The season is over and a good majority of us don't think with the talent we have we should be sitting at home.
As far as telling the media everything... this is an interview where a very friendly and defensive Ted Dawson asked what does Ash think of of the calls to have him fired.... so wouldn't it reason that Ash would tell everything he is doing to correct what he perceives as problems? The gamesmanship is over, there is no opponent next week!

Second he did come out and say the personnel on defense was not good... may not "sucks balls" but he did blame the personnel... no mention of the coaching. Let's not forget those kids out there are told what to do! They are coached during the week and during the game they have their assignments and are accountable to perform. If they don't perform it entirely up to the coaches to make changes!

So talk to the defensive staff? Sure good start, but apparently the defensive staff doesn't want to point the fingers at themselves so the simple answer is we don't have the talent... seriously we only have the talent to be one of the worst defensive teams in the nation? I don't buy it! And if you say yes that's what we have... what have we been doing the last eight years to not end up with the worst talent in the nation? Is that the players fault too?

And Finally... yes having good players is one WAY to have a good defense. BUT it is not the ONLY good way! It is simply, as you put it ONE way! Eight years of coaching should not subject the team to ONE way of blame for poor defense. The coaches HAVE to accept their share of blame. Refuting the responsibility for performance is nothing short of a cop out, and what message does that send to the team? To the Recruits?

With the exception of Ash, I have never heard an MSU coach pass an entire season of blame off to just his players! Time to man up Ash and take the blame where it rests. Unless you face your short comings, you will never be able to fix them!
I don't get this. We've had some damn good defenses in the past 8 years. Damn good.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:40 am

I think he could have worded it differently and he was just saying they are putting a priority on recruiting defense. People are going to read into it depending on which side of the aisle you are sitting in. I sure would have liked to have been in that meeting and heard exactly what was said.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Mechanical Cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mechanical Cat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 am

catatac wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:

I don't get this. We've had some damn good defenses in the past 8 years. Damn good.
Ya, but not good against good talent. Just good against mediocre talent.

Mechanical Cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mechanical Cat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:50 am

Mechanical Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
CatRowdy wrote:

Ya, but not good against good talent. Just good against mediocre talent.
And I think it has been proven when we meet up with good offensive lines that do diminish our pass rush. We become extremely one dimensional. (I know. its already been discussed, a lot)

Qui Tam Cat
New Recruit

Post by Qui Tam Cat » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:13 am

This equivocation is disappointing, to say the least. I don't think there are many Bobcat fans out there who regularly watched our team through the past few years and thought that our defense lacked talent. This year we didn't have a Buchanan winner anchoring the line like we did the past two years, but we can't count on having that player on our team each and every season. This year, despite excellent, experienced talent (Singleton and Flowers, to name two), we were exposed in a big and embarrassing way.

Watching the drive that put SDSU at 47 summed up everything you need to know about the Bobcats defense this year. Multiple 3rd and long situations where our players backed off of the receivers and let them get the 1st down were frustrating to watch. The most irritating part of it all is that we certainly had our chances to stop them and get a score to tie the game. Instead, the lackluster positioning cost us the game. I don't think that is in dispute for anyone but Jamie Marshall.

If we lose our best assistants because of this blow-hole, then I think that should tell us all something about his leadership going forward.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:12 pm

There are so many threads out there right now I don't know where to post my question, but this seems as good a spot as any.

Can somebody elaborate on what happened to Ploessl? I always had the impression he was the OC who came with Ash from Drake and that Ash was throwing a lifeline to Svoboda, who was just marking time waiting for a position to open up for him somewhere in the nation.

The reason I ask is that Ash's first year, there was lots of positive fan feedback on the breath of fresh air from a b.s. Don Bailey offense. Lots of people, myself included, remarked how for the most part they weren't scratching their heads trying to figure out what was going through the coaches' minds in regards to play calling. Not only that, production and scoring went up. I definitely thought that offensively we were much improved.

I don't even remember what happened with Ploessl leaving. I just remember him being gone one day and ushering in the era of one-year offensive coordinators. I don't remember any kind of press when he left, it just seemed like he was gone. To listen to chatter here, it sounds like Ploessl was fired but allowed to leave with a little bit of dignity. The offensive production seemed to be an improvement over what we were used to in the Kramer era, so I don't get why he was let go. Was it personal? Some kind of "creative difference," or something else?

By every indication I've got, Ploessl had as much connection to Ash as Jim Marshall does, so why does Ash hang on to Marshall when he's shown that he got rid of Ploessl?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Cledus wrote:There are so many threads out there right now I don't know where to post my question, but this seems as good a spot as any.

Can somebody elaborate on what happened to Ploessl? I always had the impression he was the OC who came with Ash from Drake and that Ash was throwing a lifeline to Svoboda, who was just marking time waiting for a position to open up for him somewhere in the nation.

The reason I ask is that Ash's first year, there was lots of positive fan feedback on the breath of fresh air from a b.s. Don Bailey offense. Lots of people, myself included, remarked how for the most part they weren't scratching their heads trying to figure out what was going through the coaches' minds in regards to play calling. Not only that, production and scoring went up. I definitely thought that offensively we were much improved.

I don't even remember what happened with Ploessl leaving. I just remember him being gone one day and ushering in the era of one-year offensive coordinators. I don't remember any kind of press when he left, it just seemed like he was gone. To listen to chatter here, it sounds like Ploessl was fired but allowed to leave with a little bit of dignity. The offensive production seemed to be an improvement over what we were used to in the Kramer era, so I don't get why he was let go. Was it personal? Some kind of "creative difference," or something else?

By every indication I've got, Ploessl had as much connection to Ash as Jim Marshall does, so why does Ash hang on to Marshall when he's shown that he got rid of Ploessl?
Blackmail

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:53 pm

A simple search shows what happened with Plossel. No conspiracy.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:33 pm

This speaks well for the man! I wish Marshall this kind of success.

http://www.thonline.com/mobile_new/news ... 8da0f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:32 pm

Cat_gld wrote:This speaks well for the man! I wish Marshall this kind of success.

http://www.thonline.com/mobile_new/news ... 8da0f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here or at some high school?