Does Ash have the guts to fire Jamie Marshall?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: Does Ash have the guts to fire Jamie Marshall?

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:26 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Bobcat80 wrote:Maybe page 9 of a thread isn't the best place to ask this question, but I don't think a new subject is warranted at this point. As long as we're bashing on Marshall, here goes. Something I noticed throughout the game on Saturday was the fact that our db's rarely turned their heads around on pass plays. In fact, I've noticed this a lot through the years. I know it's not always possible, but I saw a lot of passes that very easily could have been knocked down on Saturday just by simply turning the head around. Many were on 3rd down as well. Is this something that falls on Marshall and/or Brandon North as well; or is it simply that the players aren't thinking about proper technique on the field? I apologize if this has been discussed on another thread.
Apology accepted. :wink: Yes, it's been discussed at length in other threads over the years.
But its a horse we love to beat. Not quite a dead horse yet I see.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:30 pm

I really don't like hot tubs and will not support anyone that promotes their use.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:45 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:
John K wrote:
Bobcat80 wrote:Maybe page 9 of a thread isn't the best place to ask this question, but I don't think a new subject is warranted at this point. As long as we're bashing on Marshall, here goes. Something I noticed throughout the game on Saturday was the fact that our db's rarely turned their heads around on pass plays. In fact, I've noticed this a lot through the years. I know it's not always possible, but I saw a lot of passes that very easily could have been knocked down on Saturday just by simply turning the head around. Many were on 3rd down as well. Is this something that falls on Marshall and/or Brandon North as well; or is it simply that the players aren't thinking about proper technique on the field? I apologize if this has been discussed on another thread.
Not to mention that if there is contact on the play, the defender will be far more likely to get flagged for PI, if he isn't looking for the ball.
Part of this may be blamed on pure athleticism and speed. It's harder to run fast with your head turned,,,, really try it. The other thing that's over simplified
is knowing when to turn your head. Turn too soon and the receiver jukes on you and your jock strap ends up in 12th row so the safest plan on say a fly route
is to key on the receiver.
Fair enough. I'm sure that knowing exactly when to take your eyes off the receiver and look for the ball is not as easy as it looks, but it seems like most other teams do a better job in teaching that skill to their DB's, than MSU has done during the Ash/Marshall era, and our relatively low number of INT would seem to verify that.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:47 pm

Also have had this same question and here is one link to what I found,http://www.agtimes.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=7186

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:00 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
Apology accepted. :wink: Yes, it's been discussed at length in other threads over the years.
But its a horse we love to beat. Not quite a dead horse yet I see.

:lol: , It's true this get's beat to death. I probably should have just left well enough alone. It's the off season, what else do we have to talk about. :lol: :lol: I do understand also that this technique is easier said than done, regarding the best time to turn your head. Maybe I expect too much from our guys as well. I guess I figure if you're a D1 guy, you should at least be able to try to make a play on the ball. If you're giving it your all just to catch up to the receiver, then all bets are off. If you're running stride for stride though, I see no reason a play can't be made on the ball.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:11 pm

John K wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
John K wrote:
Not to mention that if there is contact on the play, the defender will be far more likely to get flagged for PI, if he isn't looking for the ball.
Part of this may be blamed on pure athleticism and speed. It's harder to run fast with your head turned,,,, really try it. The other thing that's over simplified
is knowing when to turn your head. Turn too soon and the receiver jukes on you and your jock strap ends up in 12th row so the safest plan on say a fly route
Fair enough. I'm sure that knowing exactly when to take your eyes off the receiver and look for the ball is not as easy as it looks, but it seems like most other teams do a better job in teaching that skill to their DB's, than MSU has done during the Ash/Marshall era, and our relatively low number of INT would seem to verify that.
Actually it isn't all that hard. When the receiver turns his head back to look for the ball, you turn yours too.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:16 pm

91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
catdaddy7 wrote:
John K wrote:
Actually it isn't all that hard. When the receiver turns his head back to look for the ball, you turn yours too.
I don't mean to make light of it. Yes you do need to be a good athlete to be running full speed, watching the receiver, and turn your head and quickly locate the football right when the receiver does. But you don't need ESP either.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Going back to the title of this thread......in a word "NO!"

Tonight's 5:30pm KBZK sports report had today's press conference with Coach Ash.

His words regarding the defense which was statistically one of the worst in the nation:

"We didn't perform as well on defense as we need to here, talked to the defensive staff about that, that we've got to find some ways to get better, we have to. I mean it's absolutely essential for this program. One of the ways you get better is to have good players playing for your team and so that's what we're gonna focus on right now is personnel on defense."

Sounds as though he is laying the blame for the poor performance on the players, with little regard to the coaching. If that's what he truly meant, I have no respect for the statement or the thoughts behind it. A good defense starts with the defensive coordinator working with the players he has and has had for a number of years, recognizing their strengths and building schemes and plays around them! The Cats have talent on the defensive side of the ball, they just need to be utilized correctly. Ash's statement is a cop out!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:24 pm

This albatross is going take him down.

There's loyalty and then there's stupidity. This is beyond stupid.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

CatRowdy wrote:Going back to the title of this thread......in a word "NO!"

Tonight's 5:30pm KBZK sports report had today's press conference with Coach Ash.

His words regarding the defense which was statistically one of the worst in the nation:

"We didn't perform as well on defense as we need to here, talked to the defensive staff about that, that we've got to find some ways to get better, we have to. I mean it's absolutely essential for this program. One of the ways you get better is to have good players playing for your team and so that's what we're gonna focus on right now is personnel on defense."

Sounds as though he is laying the blame for the poor performance on the players, with little regard to the coaching. If that's what he truly meant, I have no respect for the statement or the thoughts behind it. A good defense starts with the defensive coordinator working with the players he has and has had for a number of years, recognizing their strengths and building schemes and plays around them! The Cats have talent on the defensive side of the ball, they just need to be utilized correctly. Ash's statement is a cop out!
All of his statements are. This is just par for the course.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Sure, but if you beat the crap out of the receiver in the 5 yard window that the rules allow for, it gets a lot easier.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:50 pm

msuhunter wrote:

All of his statements are. This is just par for the course.

I am sorry but I have to be reading this incorrectly. It seems to me Ash is calling out the players and not the coaches. That can not be accurate is it?

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:05 pm

catgrad05 wrote:

I am sorry but I have to be reading this incorrectly. It seems to me Ash is calling out the players and not the coaches. That can not be accurate is it?
You sure wouldn't think so.... but it appears to be the case. You would think there would have been at least some mention of improving the coaching!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:22 pm

I wonder if threads like this will help our recruiting this year. :|

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:30 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:I wonder if threads like this will help our recruiting this year. :|
You know what would help recruiting? Rip off the bandaid and cut off the gangrene arm. The sooner Marshall is removed, the sooner the toxicity is eliminated.

saintcat40
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by saintcat40 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Well said, LTCF!

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:43 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:I wonder if threads like this will help our recruiting this year. :|
You know what would help recruiting? Rip off the bandaid and cut off the gangrene arm. The sooner Marshall is removed, the sooner the toxicity is eliminated.
+1

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:05 pm

Is that an accurate quote? If so, wow!

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm

PapaG wrote:

Yeah, what does that say to the players you already have who really aren't as bad as the scheme makes them.

CatRowdy

Post by CatRowdy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 pm

PapaG wrote:

Of course it's accurate; I have no interest in falsifying information to start or win an argument.
Typically KBZK posts their videos on line; sometimes it takes a day.... so you can watch the whole interview. That quote was about all he said on defense, then the interview turned to offense.