'Cats hope to bounce back in the playoffs after Griz loss

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: 'Cats hope to bounce back in the playoffs after Griz los

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:01 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
BozCatsFan wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And the two touchdowns MSU scored that didn't count. Whatever way you slice it, the Griz got every single break in that game.
Two? I can think of one but am blanking on the other?

Also, UM didn't get every break. If you are giving Johnson the fumble, you have to give Salonoa (sp?) a fumble as well. He clealry had a catch in the second half where he caught the ball, turned up the field, and fumbled but the ref ruled incomplete.

Other than that, yes, most of the big turning points went UM's way.
I disagree. I watched the play many times and agree with the call

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Haha. Isn't the first, won't be the last. :-)

I disagree with your opinion that JJ fumbled. :-)
Well, I'll let you know that the Big Sky Conference disagrees with you. That play (Johnson's "incomplete pass") was submitted to the league and they agreed it should have been a fumble.
But he did!

Sorry tagged the wrong post

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:13 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
BozCatsFan wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And the two touchdowns MSU scored that didn't count. Whatever way you slice it, the Griz got every single break in that game.

Also, UM didn't get every break. If you are giving Johnson the fumble, you have to give Salonoa (sp?) a fumble as well. He clealry had a catch in the second half where he caught the ball, turned up the field, and fumbled but the ref ruled incomplete.

Well, I'll let you know that the Big Sky Conference disagrees with you. That play (Johnson's "incomplete pass") was submitted to the league and they agreed it should have been a fumble.
But he did!

BozCat, it was a joke...Walkon got it.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

mcg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mcg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:47 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
mcg wrote:My point is that cat fans are blaming the loss on a wide variety of unlikely factors: helmets, stolen signals, refs, qb throwing game, coach throwing game, coach inexplicably benching star qb, the list goes on and on. These reasons all allow the kat faithful to ignore the real (and painful) reasons the cats lost: the bobcat players were less skilled than the Griz players and the cat game plan was way inferior to the Griz game plan. The seven turnovers weren't an unhappy coincidence, they were the result of many weeks of coaching and practice and development by the Griz players and coaches. That's not a maroon colored opinion, it's what we could plainly see Saturday afternoon.
The game plan being better, I'll concede. The rest is simply not borne out in the statistics leading up to the game.
It's crystal clear which team has better players, just watch the game.

mcg
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mcg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:50 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
mcg wrote:My point is that cat fans are blaming the loss on a wide variety of unlikely factors: helmets, stolen signals, refs, qb throwing game, coach throwing game, coach inexplicably benching star qb, the list goes on and on. These reasons all allow the kat faithful to ignore the real (and painful) reasons the cats lost: the bobcat players were less skilled than the Griz players and the cat game plan was way inferior to the Griz game plan. The seven turnovers weren't an unhappy coincidence, they were the result of many weeks of coaching and practice and development by the Griz players and coaches. That's not a maroon colored opinion, it's what we could plainly see Saturday afternoon.
Half the things you named out haven't been talked about. Stop trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually I'm pretty sure each of the things mentioned are somewhere in this forum.

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:54 pm

mcg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Actually I'm pretty sure each of the things mentioned are somewhere in this forum.
mcg, if you want to compare apples to apples I would happily go over to Egriz after you lost to CP and EWU and gladly point out the plethora of threads and comments that "blame" the loss on other things other than the fact that you were outplayed that day. Except on egriz it is 10 times worse. Piss off tool.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:02 am

Doc3kgt wrote:
mcg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

mcg, if you want to compare apples to apples I would happily go over to Egriz after you lost to CP and EWU and gladly point out the plethora of threads and comments that "blame" the loss on other things other than the fact that you were outplayed that day. Except on egriz it is 10 times worse. Piss off tool.
Right. The griz got curb stomped by ewu, who got beat by NAU, who lost to south Dakota, who lost to UMbeat. Which means that the griz are a better team than UM! \:D/

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:39 am

TomCat88 wrote:Anyone remember the last time MSU was -6 turnovers? Not too many people are pointing out the roughing the punter call or the non-fumble call on Jordan Johnson. UM scored after both of those. Or we're those on the same drive? They were just as big as any turnover MSU had.
The roughing the kicker call was the right call, though - you can always debate whether it should've been 5 or 15, but there was definitely contact, and I think the hit was hard enough that roughing was warranted.

Speaking of calls, though - how come no one has mentioned the weak-ass roughing the passer penalty that gave the Cats a scoring opportunity? It ended up not mattering, because Bleskin threw a pick right afterward, but if you want to argue about calls, you can't ignore that one. It was a lot more questionable than the roughing the kicker call, IMO.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:34 am

Grizlaw wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Anyone remember the last time MSU was -6 turnovers? Not too many people are pointing out the roughing the punter call or the non-fumble call on Jordan Johnson. UM scored after both of those. Or we're those on the same drive? They were just as big as any turnover MSU had.
The roughing the kicker call was the right call, though - you can always debate whether it should've been 5 or 15, but there was definitely contact, and I think the hit was hard enough that roughing was warranted.

Speaking of calls, though - how come no one has mentioned the weak-ass roughing the passer penalty that gave the Cats a scoring opportunity? It ended up not mattering, because Bleskin threw a pick right afterward, but if you want to argue about calls, you can't ignore that one. It was a lot more questionable than the roughing the kicker call, IMO.
I wasn't saying it was a bad call. It was a mistake by MSU. No question. The reason I mentioned that and the non-fumble is because they gave the Griz two additional possessions on top of the other seven. These two were just as significant in that regard as the other seven.

Its likely the Griz win the game even if none of the nine occur because MSU, as is pointed out in the "mystery" thread, has a knack for playing poorly on offense in this game. Or the Griz have a knack for playing great defense in this game. It's frustrating to watch. It's gotten so bad that I've only been at or watched two of the last five live and those were the 2011 and 2014 games, so you know what I'll be doing next year. :lol: :(

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:29 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Grizlaw wrote:

I wasn't saying it was a bad call. It was a mistake by MSU. No question. The reason I mentioned that and the non-fumble is because they gave the Griz two additional possessions on top of the other seven. These two were just as significant in that regard as the other seven.

Its likely the Griz win the game even if none of the nine occur because MSU, as is pointed out in the "mystery" thread, has a knack for playing poorly on offense in this game. Or the Griz have a knack for playing great defense in this game. It's frustrating to watch. It's gotten so bad that I've only been at or watched two of the last five live and those were the 2011 and 2014 games, so you know what I'll be doing next year. :lol: :(
Gotcha. And I agree. Presumably you would agree, though, that the same could be said of the roughing the passer call on Bleskin, right? That one bailed MSU out on a 3rd down, and gave the Cats one of their red zone opportunities. I also happen to think it was the wrong call, though I admit I'm biased...

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:13 am

Grizlaw wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Grizlaw wrote:

Gotcha. And I agree. Presumably you would agree, though, that the same could be said of the roughing the passer call on Bleskin, right? That one bailed MSU out on a 3rd down, and gave the Cats one of their red zone opportunities. I also happen to think it was the wrong call, though I admit I'm biased...
Yes, the same could be said for that play and you're not biased for thinking that. However, had there not been a penalty called it would've set up a fourth-and-2 at the UM 46. Not a certain punting situation. Hard to say what happens if MSU goes for it, but the way things went they'd probably fail to convert.

It's rare for a team to get through a game without a couple plays like that. I guess that's why I'm not pointing them out about UM. Its mistakes fell within the expected norm.

The fact that you point out that you might be biased probably means you're fairly objective. :)

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BozCatsFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BozCatsFan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:14 am

GRZZ wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
BozCatsFan wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

But he did!

BozCat, it was a joke...Walkon got it.
My bad. I always get upset when things are clearly a joke and people dont get it. Now I'm one.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:16 pm

The roughing the kicker was not enough contact for 15. Yes for 5, but no way for 15.

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:22 pm

lutecat wrote:The roughing the kicker was not enough contact for 15. Yes for 5, but no way for 15.
Uh huh...

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:19 pm

onceacat wrote:
Doc3kgt wrote:
mcg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Right. The griz got curb stomped by ewu, who got beat by NAU, who lost to south Dakota, who lost to UMbeat. Which means that the griz are a better team than UM! \:D/
http://www.scores.com/college-football/ ... /time/1510

Curb stomp?

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Grizlaw wrote:
lutecat wrote:The roughing the kicker was not enough contact for 15. Yes for 5, but no way for 15.
Uh huh...
He ran in to the punter's plant leg. That is going to be a roughing call every single time.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Stumbled. Tripped and was trying to avoid him.

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:31 pm

lutecat wrote:Stumbled. Tripped and was trying to avoid him.
Semantics. Touch the plant leg any more than with a feather, you are going to get that penalty almost every time.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Wasn't even a feather. Was an excellent flop. Going straight to NBA

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:08 am

Talked to someone in the program about that exact play. A weird fluke. Montana State had a block on. They sent four, UM had three. Chad Newell was supposed to be the wedge breaker, the guy who blew up a blocker and the next guy follows him through the gap for the block. But the guy in the middle screwed up and took the wrong guy.

Watch the play again if you have the game on record. The middle guy whiffs and Newell is bracing himself for the hit already. It's why he had his head completely down and looked like he was off balance, stumbling forward. He didn't get a good dive but rather ran through the kicker's non-kicking leg and knocked him down.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:40 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Talked to someone in the program about that exact play. A weird fluke. Montana State had a block on. They sent four, UM had three. Chad Newell was supposed to be the wedge breaker, the guy who blew up a blocker and the next guy follows him through the gap for the block. But the guy in the middle screwed up and took the wrong guy.

Watch the play again if you have the game on record. The middle guy whiffs and Newell is bracing himself for the hit already. It's why he had his head completely down and looked like he was off balance, stumbling forward. He didn't get a good dive but rather ran through the kicker's non-kicking leg and knocked him down.
The rule says if its questionable, then it should be called roughing. I didn't see the replay, so I don't have an opinion. I will say that some officials have a bad habit of watching the flight of the ball, which takes their eyes off the players. If you have it recorded watch for that. If you think the call was wrong, that may be the cause.

toM StUber