Olson over Prukop??????

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Letterman

Olson over Prukop??????

Post by topshelfthepuck » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:45 am

Not much has been said out the BSC awards and all conference selections. However, a total head scratcher to me is how in the heck did the coaches figure that Olson deserved the Newcomer of the Year over Dakota? Yes, the SUU QB had a nice season after transferring over from BYU, but the coaches didn't even figure him in as a selection for any of the three all conference teams! Prukop is on the Payton Award List, had to be in consideration for offensive player in the conference, he has stats that rate toward the top of the BSC and FCS, was selected for on an all conference team and the list goes on.
There is no doubt that the Big Sky has some of the best QBs in the country at this level of football and next year will be much of the same. I just felt like Prukop got robbed on an award that most people had him easily penciled in for, by a quality QB that certainly isn't a top 5 guy in our conference, yet! Anyone else find this to be odd?

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Olson over Prukop??????

Post by GRZZ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am

Didn't Prukop see a bit of playing time two years ago and then red shirt last year?

Several of you would know better than I, but I thought you had to be seeing your first action to be eligible for newcomer.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 am

GRZZ wrote:Didn't Prukop see a bit of playing time two years ago and then red shirt last year?

Several of you would know better than I, but I thought you had to be seeing your first action to be eligible for newcomer.
No, Dakota had his first collegiate start at Arkansas State this fall.

I am unsure of the technical difference between a sophormore and red-shirt froshman but I am pretty sure that Dakota Prukop was a true froshman last year.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:04 am

GRZZ wrote:Didn't Prukop see a bit of playing time two years ago and then red shirt last year?

No Prukop red shirted 2 years ago and never saw the field last year. (I guess it doesn't matter which one you call his redshirt year).
But according to Colter, the award goes to either a freshman or a transfer. So Prukop wasn't eligible if that's the case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:17 am

I'm pretty sure Newcomer of the Year goes to a player that transfers in.

From BSC website in 2013:
Previously, the league only honored a Newcomer of the Year, which went to either a freshman or a transfer. A separate Freshman of the Year honor was added this season. The conference is also recognizing three All-Conference squads for the first time.
Since they added Frosh of the Year, I assume that Newcomer of the Year is for transfers only.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:20 am

Prukop didn't qualify as this is his 3rd year in the league.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:23 am

wbtfg wrote:Prukop didn't qualify as this is his 3rd year in the league.
I'm pretty sure anyone that comes to a BSC school as a freshman out of high school doesn't qualify. They qualify for Frosh of the Year.

Prukop does get the first annual Tomcat88 Sophomore of the Year Award for the BSC and all of FCS. Congrats Dakota on a job well done. :)

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 am

TomCat88 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:Prukop didn't qualify as this is his 3rd year in the league.
I'm pretty sure anyone that comes to a BSC school as a freshman out of high school doesn't qualify. They qualify for Frosh of the Year.

Prukop does get the first annual Tomcat88 Sophomore of the Year Award for the BSC and all of FCS. Congrats Dakota on a job well done. :)
=D^

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 pm

91catAlum wrote:

No Prukop red shirted 2 years ago and never saw the field last year. (I guess it doesn't matter which one you call his redshirt year).
But according to Colter, the award goes to either a freshman or a transfer. So Prukop wasn't eligible if that's the case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Yeah, third year in the program is what I was getting at whether he played or not.

TomCat's award is well earned. :-)

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.