The most important things about Bobcat football (sports)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

The most important things about Bobcat football (sports)

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:04 pm

In order, what are the most important things about Bobcat football (or any sport in general) for you?

For me it's:
1) That it's important, because it's really not important at all.
2) The act of actively participating with the team in some way.
3) Winning the championship.
4) Winning the next game.
5) The event itself from the start of the day to the finish.

I've always been curious about this, because when I talk to people about sports I always wonder if we're on the same wave length. I've asked this question over the years before and I always get some interesting answers, some that I've adopted myself, so please share what's important to you about Bobcat football. I'm interested to hear what's important to you about it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: The most important things about Bobcat football (sports)

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:09 pm

With all due respect Tom, I'll withhold my answers until next week. There's been a whole lotta ugliness on here, but what I want to say goes to the heart of this topic. So remind me if I don't hit on this one.

MeerKat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MeerKat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:03 am

Its a release from the daily grind. It's a place where my family (generations of Bobcats) can come together and immerse ourselves in a game, that in the big scheme of things is far less important than somethings going on in the world. For my family we have those that drive from Helena, Billings, Sometimes Sidney and friends that come from just as far to have a get together in a 10'X20' spot and hope to be part of something special that afternoon.

So for me Bobcat football brings my family together and that's the most important thing in this crazy world. Thank you Bobcat football for my fall releases from the daily grind and this crazy world!

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am

Honestly, football can't take too high of priority in my life because it is a frivolity. But it is such a big part of my life because I LOVE IT!!! I love it so much. It's such a masculine game where sometimes all it takes is to be tougher than the other guy. It's a game where you can see heart and dedication, and where playing with more heart actually changes the game.

I love Bobcat football because I AM A BOBCAT! Being an alum, I feel a real connection with the team. When they win I really feel like I won, when they lose I really feel like I lost. Being a Bobcat is a part of my identity.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:09 am

DriscollCat wrote:Honestly, football can't take too high of priority in my life because it is a frivolity. But it is such a big part of my life because I LOVE IT!!! I love it so much. It's such a masculine game where sometimes all it takes is to be tougher than the other guy. It's a game where you can see heart and dedication, and where playing with more heart actually changes the game.

I love Bobcat football because I AM A BOBCAT! Being an alum, I feel a real connection with the team. When they win I really feel like I won, when they lose I really feel like I lost. Being a Bobcat is a part of my identity.
Perfect!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:19 am

I'm not good at articulating this kind of stuff. I love Bobcat football, I get tense before almost every game. When we lose, I really feel down. I really appreciate the kids effort. I also appreciate Peter Fields and all of the puppet strings that go into running the sports programs. I also appreciate the refs that show up and make all of those lousy calls :-k . Many of these things I have come to appreciate more as I've gotten older and seen the different approaches that both teams and fans take.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:29 pm

MeerKat wrote:Its a release from the daily grind. It's a place where my family (generations of Bobcats) can come together and immerse ourselves in a game, that in the big scheme of things is far less important than somethings going on in the world. For my family we have those that drive from Helena, Billings, Sometimes Sidney and friends that come from just as far to have a get together in a 10'X20' spot and hope to be part of something special that afternoon.

So for me Bobcat football brings my family together and that's the most important thing in this crazy world. Thank you Bobcat football for my fall releases from the daily grind and this crazy world!
Family is #1 for me as well. Not just seeing my four brothers and many, many nieces and nephews so often in the Fall, but also remembering the countless MSU games as a child. Thank Mom and Dad (RIP) for all the great memories of Bobcat Football!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

standup
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by standup » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Amen brother.

it is no more reasonable for me to dictate your fan experience than it is for you to dictate mine

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:46 am

I'll echo what a couple of others have already said. For me, it's an outlet. So why football versus any other sport? Like somebody already posted, it's masculine and a gladiator sport. For whatever reason, that resonates with me more than other sports and games out there, though not as much any more as it used to.

I would also add that sports and competition in general teach a lot of significant life lessons like always doing your best and even when you do your best you don't always achieve your goals.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cats_Win_Again
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cats_Win_Again » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:55 am

LOYALTY. LOYALTY. LOYALTY. UNWAVERING LOYALTY. At every chance, it is taught and learned in life.
Disappointed in the "fair weather" posters this past week, but that is how our society rolls these days.
Can't wait for kick-off. GO CATS !!!!!!!!!!!

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:20 pm

DriscollCat wrote:Honestly, football can't take too high of priority in my life because it is a frivolity. But it is such a big part of my life because I LOVE IT!!! I love it so much. It's such a masculine game where sometimes all it takes is to be tougher than the other guy. It's a game where you can see heart and dedication, and where playing with more heart actually changes the game.

Well said. I have fond memories of watching Bobcat football with my Dad. He was in the marching band at the Aluminum Bowl in 1956. For me I guess it is a connection I still have with him even though he has passed on. I like the feeling I am part of the Bobcat Nation "tribe". It is not a requirement of my job or family responsibility but a release from every day life. For four or five hours during game day I don't have to think about anything else but what is going on with the game. I have been a Bobcat fan since I was little kid and wouldn't have it any other way. My hobby is following the team!

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:12 pm

1. Resilience 2. Expectation 3. Trust 4. Comeback. Meaning the program came back from irrelevance. The only thing missing is inspiration.