McQueary Hopefully Starts!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

McQueary Hopefully Starts!

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:33 pm

I know we all have heard rumers on Bleskin transfering and McQueary, but hopefully if McQueary starts and does well that maybe he will second think this transfer things and with him knowing Dakota is only a wrong tackle away from being out again. Any thoughts out there?

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: McQueary Hopefully Starts!

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:09 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:I know we all have heard rumers on Bleskin transfering and McQueary, but hopefully if McQueary starts and does well that maybe he will second think this transfer things and with him knowing Dakota is only a wrong tackle away from being out again. Any thoughts out there?
It would be nice to see McQ start, we got a glimpse of what he could do last week and it's definitely leaving me wanting more. But I will almost put money on Dakota starting, he was an almost for Cat-griz and something tells me he will be a go on Saturday.

catpound

Post by catpound » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:28 pm

bleskin is close to graduating, I'd be shocked if he transfers. I'd be shocked if McQueary doesn't transfer, he is too talented to sit behind Prukop for the next 2 years after this one, with his senior year being his one year of starting. He can go to the frontier and start for 3 years.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm

I think this has been posted somewhere else, but in case not:

Jake Bleskin is in good company. Pro QBs who have thrown 5 interceptions, or more, in a single game:

Drew Brees, Payton Manning, Bart Star, Dan Marino, Jonny Unitus, Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre.

ALSO

Jake Bleskin threw for 300 yards in each of his three starts prior to having a very bad day. All of that dispite the disadvantage of not playing the rest of the season. That would rank as 5th in the FCS for yards per game this year. Hey could start at almost any school in the FCS.

He is a VERY good QB who had an extremely bad day. If Prukop is healthy - awesome, if McQ gets the nod - fantastic, and if it's JB, we are still in very good hands.

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Why another thread about the same subject????

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:56 pm

DriscollCat wrote:I think this has been posted somewhere else, but in case not:

Jake Bleskin is in good company. Pro QBs who have thrown 5 interceptions, or more, in a single game:

Drew Brees, Payton Manning, Bart Star, Dan Marino, Jonny Unitus, Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre.

ALSO

Jake Bleskin threw for 300 yards in each of his three starts prior to having a very bad day. All of that dispite the disadvantage of not playing the rest of the season. That would rank as 5th in the FCS for yards per game this year. Hey could start at almost any school in the FCS.

He is a VERY good QB who had an extremely bad day. If Prukop is healthy - awesome, if McQ gets the nod - fantastic, and if it's JB, we are still in very good hands.
I guess I'm not sold on Bleskin being a "great" BSC QB. He's thrown for a ton of yards, but whether its lack of consistent playing time or whether he really can't keep up with the pace of the college game, but he's been a turnover machine in his college starts - and a lot of really, really bad easy interceptions for the opposing team.

I dunno, I'm not a talent scout, and I totally believe he's a great athlete and a nice kid, but I'm not as sold on him as the Bobcat QB because in his time under center he's been very, very turnover prone. My opinion.
Last edited by KittieKop on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:03 pm

KittieKop wrote:

ALSO

I guess I'm not sold on Bleskin being a "great" BCS QB. He's thrown for a ton of yards, but whether its lack of consistent playing time or whether he really can't keep up with the pace of the college game, but he's been a turnover machine in his college starts - and a lot of really, really bad easy interceptions for the opposing team.

I dunno, I'm not a talent scout, and I totally believe he's a great athlete and a nice kid, but I'm not as sold on him as the Bobcat QB because in his time under center he's been very, very turnover prone. My opinion.
Fair enough, when he has put up big yardage, he has been good for a couple turnovers. I can appreciate your perspective. Agree to disagree however just from shear yardage (Shawn Johnson used to be good for a couple turnovers too)

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

ALSO

I guess I'm not sold on Bleskin being a "great" BCS QB. He's thrown for a ton of yards, but whether its lack of consistent playing time or whether he really can't keep up with the pace of the college game, but he's been a turnover machine in his college starts - and a lot of really, really bad easy interceptions for the opposing team.

Fair enough, when he has put up big yardage, he has been good for a couple turnovers. I can appreciate your perspective. Agree to disagree however just from shear yardage (Shawn Johnson used to be good for a couple turnovers too)
Absolutely, and for a lot of people SJ has carried that stigma his whole career, though I don't think its been barely an issue his last two seasons. I'm just thinking people are being overly generous with Jake for whatever reason, maybe people feel really bad about last week's game. But if there was a running back in the game who put the ball on the ground 2-3 times a game, but ran for 150 yards a game and we lost half the games he played in....I think its fair to say a lot of people wouldn't be happy with that player's game and not proclaiming that person to be a "great player".

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 pm

ALSO

I like Jake Bleskin and I've always wanted him to do well for MSU. I'm not even from Great Falls, but I love that town. It reminds of what Montana is all about every time I'm there (Charlie Russell, blue collar, Missouri River, the Falls, the State Fair, etc.). I was really hoping he'd follow up his ISU game with a big win over UM. Despite that I just can't shake the fact that he's thrown so many interceptions in so few attempts. There's no getting around it. I'd like to see him start and go 35 for 40 for 400 yards and four TDs with no interceptions and beat South Dakota State, but the simple fact of the matter is he's thrown a 11 INTs in his last three starts against SFA, ISU and UM. Two of those teams weren't very good defensively. I'm sorry, but there's no explaining that away. Part of me hopes he starts and he just completely makes me look like an utter fool, which I am by the way, but I can't bring myself to think that it'll happen. If he does start, few people will be rooting for him more than me.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

ALSO

I like Jake Bleskin and I've always wanted him to do well for MSU. I'm not even from Great Falls, but I love that town. It reminds of what Montana is all about every time I'm there (Charlie Russell, blue collar, Missouri River, the Falls, the State Fair, etc.). I was really hoping he'd follow up his ISU game with a big win over UM. Despite that I just can't shake the fact that he's thrown so many interceptions in so few attempts. There's no getting around it. I'd like to see him start and go 35 for 40 for 400 yards and four TDs with no interceptions and beat South Dakota State, but the simple fact of the matter is he's thrown a 11 INTs in his last three starts against SFA, ISU and UM. Two of those teams weren't very good defensively. I'm sorry, but there's no explaining that away. Part of me hopes he starts and he just completely makes me look like an utter fool, which I am by the way, but I can't bring myself to think that it'll happen. If he does start, few people will be rooting for him more than me.
Pretty much took the words out of my mouth Tom.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:07 am

TomCat88 wrote:

ALSO

Well said Tom. I'm in the same boat.

MeerKat

Post by MeerKat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 am

Hopefully Prukop starts! He is our best chance to win. If he can't go then I hope McQueary starts he is the future even if Bleskin can go I hope they give the ball to McQueary. Bleskin will be a senior and most likely isn't going to be our starting QB next year even if he does come back. So give the ball to Quinn if Dakota can't go and lets see what we got with him.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:59 am

TomCat88 wrote:

ALSO

Happy Thanksgiving guys. Like I said, I can appreciate where you guys are coming from. Tom, your description perfectly describes how I feel, with the exception that the stronger half believes in jake. I just want the other side of the story out there. The reason some of us seem overly generous to Jake, is because some others (not necessarily you guys) have been pretty merciless and pretty vocal and we're trying to balance that. And I also think we are letting one game dominate our definition of his career. That game was a complete anomaly.

In science and engineering, when you notice an anomaly, you completely disregard it. Something went sideways and it is not characteristic of the data set.

Regarding kitty's point about losing half the games. Prukop was 2-2 after his first four games and he had the advantage of playing them consecutively. Nothing against Prukop. He's our best and I hope he starts on Saturday. Just give a guy a few games to tighten the screws.

I just think Bleskin has earned the benefit of the doubt, and that we still need to shake off that loss and take a step back.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:21 am

DriscollCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

ALSO

Happy Thanksgiving guys. Like I said, I can appreciate where you guys are coming from. Tom, your description perfectly describes how I feel, with the exception that the stronger half believes in jake. I just want the other side of the story out there. The reason some of us seem overly generous to Jake, is because some others (not necessarily you guys) have been pretty merciless and pretty vocal and we're trying to balance that. And I also think we are letting one game dominate our definition of his career. That game was a complete anomaly.

In science and engineering, when you notice an anomaly, you completely disregard it. Something went sideways and it is not characteristic of the data set.

Regarding kitty's point about losing half the games. Prukop was 2-2 after his first four games and he had the advantage of playing them consecutively. Nothing against Prukop. He's our best and I hope he starts on Saturday. Just give a guy a few games to tighten the screws.

I just think Bleskin has earned the benefit of the doubt, and that we still need to shake off that loss and take a step back.
Good point about Prukop's start, though his losses were Arkansas State and Eastern. I have some other points to make, but I'm going to leave this one here because I don't want this to start looking like a Bleskin-bashing thing because its certainly not meant to be that. So, for whoever starts on Saturday - go get 'em, we're all behind you!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:33 am

DriscollCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

ALSO

I'll politely disagree. Bleskin is doing something wrong. It's probably something technical. Even if you discount the UM game he's still making mistakes that lead to interceptions. He threw two against ISU and four against SFA. Even if you count his first game when he threw none, he's averaging nearly three a game, which is unacceptable. You can't QB a college team at any level when you throw INTs so frequently. He didn't throw any against Colorado-Mesa(?), then threw four against SFA. Threw two against ISU, then five against UM. That's a bad trend. Perhaps they've identified what he's doing wrong, but if not it's hard for me to think he should start.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:54 pm

I take your point Tom. I will agree to politely disagree. I have read a lot of your posts and I can tell that you are a thoughtful and circumspect guy. I don't want to keep pushing this issue because I think Jake has already taken more than his fair share of criticism here and I can see that continuing will continue to evoke criticism when we should be moving on anyway. Here's to respectful dialogue between Bobcats who disagree, and here's to a playoff win at home. Go Cats!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:19 pm

DriscollCat wrote:I take your point Tom. I will agree to politely disagree. I have read a lot of your posts and I can tell that you are a thoughtful and circumspect guy. I don't want to keep pushing this issue because I think Jake has already taken more than his fair share of criticism here and I can see that continuing will continue to evoke criticism when we should be moving on anyway. Here's to respectful dialogue between Bobcats who disagree, and here's to a playoff win at home. Go Cats!
Indeed, I just wanted to reinforce why I was saying what I was saying. Your posts are always respectful and respected. I appreciate that. :)

toM StUber

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:16 am

TomCat88 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

ALSO

I'll politely disagree. Bleskin is doing something wrong. It's probably something technical. Even if you discount the UM game he's still making mistakes that lead to interceptions. He threw two against ISU and four against SFA. Even if you count his first game when he threw none, he's averaging nearly three a game, which is unacceptable. You can't QB a college team at any level when you throw INTs so frequently. He didn't throw any against Colorado-Mesa(?), then threw four against SFA. Threw two against ISU, then five against UM. That's a bad trend. Perhaps they've identified what he's doing wrong, but if not it's hard for me to think he should start.
Ok guys here is the deal. Re watch the griz game. Bleskin severely hurt his throwing arm on the 2nd play of the game, I will not disclose the extent of the injury. Quinn is a redshirt so you burn him in a game that you expect win or lose you still make the playoffs. I'm pretty proud of Jake to be able to play through the injury and hope it wasn't so severe he can't play tomorrow.

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 am

Bsmithmsu wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

ALSO

Ok guys here is the deal. Re watch the griz game. Bleskin severely hurt his throwing arm on the 2nd play of the game, I will not disclose the extent of the injury. Quinn is a redshirt so you burn him in a game that you expect win or lose you still make the playoffs. I'm pretty proud of Jake to be able to play through the injury and hope it wasn't so severe he can't play tomorrow.
Quinn used his redshirt year last year. He is in his second year at MSU.

-Elias P. Harmon-

Bsmithmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bsmithmsu » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 am

The roster still shows him as a redshirt.