Tribune Cat-Griz game story

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tribune Cat-Griz game story

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:Just read 4 pages of this. Good lord.
This made me laugh out loud. And then realize I wasted a good 30 minutes remembering where everyone went to college.
You are not really going to get them (maybe me also) started as to which school is the better academically????? :lol:

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
This made me laugh out loud. And then realize I wasted a good 30 minutes remembering where everyone went to college.
Glad I can help out.
If you ever need to know, I graduated from MSU in 2009. ;)

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:50 pm

I thought it was a fun thread. What else do we have to talk about? Everybody's hurt. We're not sure if we have a quarterback. MSU isn't gonna say until kickoff so we're all in limbo anyway. South Dakota State fans seem pretty nice and rightfully very confident. That's about it...and it's only Tuesday.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:53 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Glad I can help out.
If you ever need to know, I graduated from MSU in 2009. ;)
Mr. Nuanez drove through that place where the Clark's Fork flows out of Hellsgate Canyon, so he received a m.a. as he paid his fee and got his B and went to class most days and got his A... :lol: He started it... :D

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:I thought it was a fun thread. What else do we have to talk about? Everybody's hurt. We're not sure if we have a quarterback. MSU isn't gonna say until kickoff so we're all in limbo anyway. South Dakota State fans seem pretty nice and rightfully very confident. That's about it...and it's only Tuesday.
We could talk about how much Auburn sucks and how bad Saban and all of his staff and players want redemption in the Iron Bowl...

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
GRZZ wrote:I just think it is amusing that some in this thread are implying that the Missoulian having several UM grads as editors and editors of editors and so on, has been a good thing for UM. Have any of you read the Missoulian the last five years or so? The Missoulian broker the alleged gang rape story the day before the semifinal game at SHSU, and went on from there. No amount of UM grads at that paper could have stopped it, nor should they have.

The Kaimin and Bobby Hacuk seemed to fight constantly. The Kaimin was putting light on the arrests during Hauck's tenure well before the Missoulian. All those writers were obviously UM educated...I have yet to read a UM grad who has any problem criticizing UM...

A reporter's job isn't to be the PR arm of anything, the Chronicle should not be the PR arm of MSU. That isn't the way journalism is supposed to work. And heck, the biggest UM homer at the Missoulian is Speltz, and he didn't even go there.
The Missoulian is just one of many Lee Enterprise Newspapers (Billings, Butte, Livingstoned, Missoula off the top of my head). The Tribune is one of Gannetts as is this paper:http://www.tallahassee.com/

I've noticed there's a definite difference in tone from region to region and town to town within the rags of certain chains. Fact of the matter is most home town papers accentuate the positive of their community. What happened within your community is and was newsworthy at that point in time. Would you rather read this about your beloved town:http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/bigfor ... 22d7a.html
I'm confused about what you're trying to say...The Missoulian had a duty to cover all of the UM scandal stuff, and they did it. This incident you link to has also been heavily covered in the Missoula press, and still is...I'm missing the point you are trying to make.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:13 pm

John K wrote:I guess I didn't make my point very well, because everyone seems to be missing it. I couldn't care less that they put a decal with an outline of Montana on their helmets. What I objected to was the writer's comment that somehow that decal was a statement that UM, and only UM, represents Montana on the football field. Am I the only one who was bothered by that?
After how they represented our state 3-4'years ago, national headlines.. This guys a dip sh**, and no your not the only one. Im sick of how people think the jizz walk on water... hell fish jizz in water.. what makes them so special.

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:20 pm

GRZZ wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
GRZZ wrote:I just think it is amusing that some in this thread are implying that the Missoulian having several UM grads as editors and editors of editors and so on, has been a good thing for UM. Have any of you read the Missoulian the last five years or so? The Missoulian broker the alleged gang rape story the day before the semifinal game at SHSU, and went on from there. No amount of UM grads at that paper could have stopped it, nor should they have.

The Kaimin and Bobby Hacuk seemed to fight constantly. The Kaimin was putting light on the arrests during Hauck's tenure well before the Missoulian. All those writers were obviously UM educated...I have yet to read a UM grad who has any problem criticizing UM...

A reporter's job isn't to be the PR arm of anything, the Chronicle should not be the PR arm of MSU. That isn't the way journalism is supposed to work. And heck, the biggest UM homer at the Missoulian is Speltz, and he didn't even go there.
The Missoulian is just one of many Lee Enterprise Newspapers (Billings, Butte, Livingstoned, Missoula off the top of my head). The Tribune is one of Gannetts as is this paper:http://www.tallahassee.com/

I've noticed there's a definite difference in tone from region to region and town to town within the rags of certain chains. Fact of the matter is most home town papers accentuate the positive of their community. What happened within your community is and was newsworthy at that point in time. Would you rather read this about your beloved town:http://www.flatheadnewsgroup.com/bigfor ... 22d7a.html
I'm confused about what you're trying to say...The Missoulian had a duty to cover all of the UM scandal stuff, and they did it. This incident you link to has also been heavily covered in the Missoula press, and still is...I'm missing the point you are trying to make.
The only thing I would hope you gain out of the two links I thought I posted (sorry--cut and paste) is that local media has to be somewhat partial to the overall good of and to the community. Like it or not both Missoula and Tallahassee did (and do) a great job of uncovering some rather boorish behaviors, but the Gannett paper in Tallahassee (unlike Great Falls) glosses over the wayward children of the college there. One can only suppose it's because there is so much other negative news in the area to report.

The link from the Big Fork Eagle is an article by a former Missoulian reporter portraying Missoula in a not so positive light. I liken his article to the Kalispell media refusing to report on the huge Canadian Drug Bust in central Montana by Canadians headed for the Flathead with all their drugs.

It's an editors choice I suppose whether they want to suppress news and/or hype the community.

Again, all I really wanted to do was reiterate what RichK started and that was simply MSU don't get nearly the love we deserve. Now, can I go? RichK started all this for what it's worth...I just chimed in with my 2 cents worth... :lol:

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:34 pm

RichK hasn't posted anywhere in this thread. Man, you guys are crazy.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:I thought it was a fun thread. What else do we have to talk about? Everybody's hurt. We're not sure if we have a quarterback. MSU isn't gonna say until kickoff so we're all in limbo anyway. South Dakota State fans seem pretty nice and rightfully very confident. That's about it...and it's only Tuesday.
This is an excellent thread. The open discussion is always worthwhile, especially when it stays civil even if a great many of you have issues.

griz5700

Post by griz5700 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Oh yeah, if some journalist said the Cats represented the only football team in MT, in whatever fashion, Griz fans would laugh all day long. Cuz... guess what? That's how we feel. We are the top team. Doesn't matter what anyone says. Sorry.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

PRIDE - TRADITION - GRIZ
http://goo.gl/A6rsSA

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:10 am

tampa_griz wrote:RichK hasn't posted anywhere in this thread. Man, you guys are crazy.
If you served, and based upon your posts, I highly doubt it, you had to have been a jarhead! Who started the thread, Stenbeck you are not... :shock:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:15 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
This is an excellent thread. The open discussion is always worthwhile, especially when it stays civil even if a great many of you have issues.
Issues that cause you problems and problems that cause you issues...brevity is the answer to clarity in lieu of inconsequential volumn. Jargon or gibberish. Depends upon the era.

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:29 am

Cat Grad wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:RichK hasn't posted anywhere in this thread. Man, you guys are crazy.
If you served, and based upon your posts, I highly doubt it, you had to have been a jarhead! Who started the thread, Stenbeck you are not... :shock:
JohnK :wink:

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:50 am

Wow. So much to digest. I started to type some stuff out, but its not going to placate the bias of the one or two that are harping on bias. :-^ :-^ :-^ :lol:

Wasn't it back in the late 90's that the Chronicle had a big time bias against all things Bobcat? And they overhauled the whole sports staff at one point?

My favorite sports reporter moment in Bozeman was when the guy that did the Bobcat Sports report, the skinny young guy, his name escapes me, was interviewing Denarius at Specs, I believe during the Selection Show, and the reporter stated something that was wrong, DM corrected him, but it was so loud the reporter couldn't hear him and just nodded his head. DM looked a little annoyed.

Just out of curiosity where did Gwen go?

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 am

lutecat wrote:Wow. So much to digest. I started to type some stuff out, but its not going to placate the bias of the one or two that are harping on bias. :-^ :-^ :-^ :lol:

Wasn't it back in the late 90's that the Chronicle had a big time bias against all things Bobcat? And they overhauled the whole sports staff at one point?

My favorite sports reporter moment in Bozeman was when the guy that did the Bobcat Sports report, the skinny young guy, his name escapes me, was interviewing Denarius at Specs, I believe during the Selection Show, and the reporter stated something that was wrong, DM corrected him, but it was so loud the reporter couldn't hear him and just nodded his head. DM looked a little annoyed.

Just out of curiosity where did Gwen go?
I heard that Gwen did a 180 and is now writing fiction!

Jobu

Post by Jobu » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:41 am

allcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:Mr. Nuanez, in your own convoluted way with this list of credentials, you've only solidified the MSU faithful's perception of not only media bias but a rather blatant disregard of MSU. Where would one naturally assume that list of credentialed media types would place a lowly Land Grant Institution on the academic ladder?

Not arguing, just asking you to detach yourself from yourself, take a step back and ask for an objective summary in your own mind. Your predecessor at the comical was an elite "Colorado" graduate, correct? What broad stereotypes did he paint about the community and team members at MSU? Many times not very subtly either. I believe he even compared his junior high exploits to our football team in one of his columns--a couple of years after MSU extended their winning streak over his school.
Apparently you built that high rise on the grassy knoll.

:lol: :lol:

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:57 pm

griz5700 wrote:Oh yeah, if some journalist said the Cats represented the only football team in MT, in whatever fashion, Griz fans would laugh all day long. Cuz... guess what? That's how we feel. We are the top team. Doesn't matter what anyone says. Sorry.

The difference is that you saying you're the top team (in your opinion) is not the same as a reporter tacitly supporting that it is a factual statement.

Grisly Fan
New Recruit

Post by Grisly Fan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Sotallytober wrote:
griz5700 wrote:Oh yeah, if some journalist said the Cats represented the only football team in MT, in whatever fashion, Griz fans would laugh all day long. Cuz... guess what? That's how we feel. We are the top team. Doesn't matter what anyone says. Sorry.

The difference is that you saying you're the top team (in your opinion) is not the same as a reporter tacitly supporting that it is a factual statement.
Yeah unless it happens to be true then it is EXACTLY the same. Let me illustrate. The weatherman says it is raining. I look out the window and (in my opinion) it looks to be raining and I post that on a forum. Exactly the same, right?

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm

This is just getting sad. Frazier never whined about the writers calling Ali the better pugilist. Smokin' Joe beat Ali one out of three contests, but he never cried about biased writers who called Ali the better fighter. When you don't like the outcome on the field, blame the writers? :-({|=