Tribune Cat-Griz game story

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Tribune Cat-Griz game story

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:14 am

For those of you who read the 11/23 Tribune Cat-Griz game story, did anyone else find the opening sentence to be somewhat insulting? Here is an excerpt from the e-mail that I sent to Mark Robertson, in response to that comment.

"I also took great exception to the opening sentence in your 11/23 game story "The University of Montana's football team wore the Treasure State's outline on its helmets as if to say only one team represents Montana on the football field." As an MSU alum, I found that to be very insulting. Win or lose, MSU represents Montana just as much as UM, on the football field and otherwise. I fully acknowledge that MSU fans are probably sometimes a bit overly sensitive to perceived bias, not just in the Tribune, but among virtually all of the major broadcast and print media outlets throughout Montana. That being said, I just don't think there was any reason to include a comment like that in your piece, and it contributed nothing to your coverage of the game, other than to tout the virtues of "the mighty Griz", and to belittle MSU."

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tribune Cat-Griz game story

Post by allcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 am

John K wrote:For those of you who read the 11/23 Tribune Cat-Griz game story, did anyone else find the opening sentence to be somewhat insulting? Here is an excerpt from the e-mail that I sent to Mark Robertson, in response to that comment.

"I also took great exception to the opening sentence in your 11/23 game story "The University of Montana's football team wore the Treasure State's outline on its helmets as if to say only one team represents Montana on the football field." As an MSU alum, I found that to be very insulting. Win or lose, MSU represents Montana just as much as UM, on the football field and otherwise. I fully acknowledge that MSU fans are probably sometimes a bit overly sensitive to perceived bias, not just in the Tribune, but among virtually all of the major broadcast and print media outlets throughout Montana. That being said, I just don't think there was any reason to include a comment like that in your piece, and it contributed nothing to your coverage of the game, other than to tout the virtues of "the mighty Griz", and to belittle MSU."
we still have not taken the step to be better. If we would have done those helmets, it would have been great. kudos to them for thinking of it. I don't like the line of thought that we are being belittled all of the time. You have to keep a moving target, Budweiser just dropped ads with the Clydes. We just need to stay good and still strive to get better, the mext generation will follow, if we give them something to follow.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 am

allcat wrote:
John K wrote:For those of you who read the 11/23 Tribune Cat-Griz game story, did anyone else find the opening sentence to be somewhat insulting? Here is an excerpt from the e-mail that I sent to Mark Robertson, in response to that comment.

we still have not taken the step to be better. If we would have done those helmets, it would have been great. kudos to them for thinking of it. I don't like the line of thought that we are being belittled all of the time. You have to keep a moving target, Budweiser just dropped ads with the Clydes. We just need to stay good and still strive to get better, the mext generation will follow, if we give them something to follow.
I had no problem with the decals on their helmets, but I resent the idea that the UM football program or the Tribune writer would attempt to imply that "only one team represents Montana".

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:49 am

Just wondering,,,,,, Colter,,,,, Do you know this guy?

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

Macneil4025
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Macneil4025 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:54 am

I'm not going to lie, those UM helmets were awesome!! I truly wish the Cats would stop following the Boise State model and go with matted helmets. I know everybody was all excited about the white helmets, they were ugly as all get out from what the pictures showed. Does anybody really like helmets with a massive cat head on one side and a number on the other. Go with the block M helmets, or use the old CATS logo with a matted navy blue background. Get with the times MSU athletics!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:00 pm

Last edited by wbtfg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:00 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:Just wondering,,,,,, Colter,,,,, Do you know this guy?
For whatever it's worth, he didn't actually go to UM. He went to Emory and Henry College, whatever that is. Based upon the tone of his Cat-Griz stories, I just assumed that he was a UM alum, but he's not. I don't necessarily think that he's a terrible writer, but I was really aggravated by that comment. Plus, his Cat-Griz preview story in Friday's Tribune, in which he attempted to make a case for UM getting into the playoffs, even if they lost to MSU, was not very well researched, and contained at least one obvious factual error.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:05 pm

I guess I didn't make my point very well, because everyone seems to be missing it. I couldn't care less that they put a decal with an outline of Montana on their helmets. What I objected to was the writer's comment that somehow that decal was a statement that UM, and only UM, represents Montana on the football field. Am I the only one who was bothered by that?

crackgina
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by crackgina » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Can I ask why the Cats insist on a single "M" on their helmets? That is traditionally for the University of the state that is playing. (See Michigan, Minnesota, Maine, etc...). The state university usually has an "S" somewhere on the helmet if letters are used. I would think that MSU wouldn't want to be confused with UM. Am I missing something?

rtb

Post by rtb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:18 pm

crackgina wrote:Can I ask why the Cats insist on a single "M" on their helmets? That is traditionally for the University of the state that is playing. (See Michigan, Minnesota, Maine, etc...). The state university usually has an "S" somewhere on the helmet if letters are used. I would think that MSU wouldn't want to be confused with UM. Am I missing something?

Yes, there is some history here. This is from on old post from some years ago.
This is from a Bozeman Chronicle article back in 2000 describing the design of the MSU helmet.

Our helmets will be a lighter, truer shade of gold, a unique color that our paint manufacturer is creating just for us. This shade of gold will be called Bobcat Gold, and will probably remind long-time Bobcats of the color of helmet worn by two of our great teams, the 1956 National Champions and the 1976 National Champions.

What will be distinct about this color? In mixing the paint for our helmet, it will contain some powder gathered from a gold mine here in Montana. So this color will be completely unique, and will reflect the great tradition and mystique of our state.

Possibly the most distinctive feature of the helmet, aside from the color, will be the block letter `M' on the sides, which was designed in consultation with Glen Cloninger of Spokane, (Wash.) an alum and a great friend of the program. The symbol of the `M' is present throughout this school's history, and is around us every day here in Bozeman. The `M' on the mountain outside of town, our letter jackets, old yearbooks … when you really pay attention to this school's history, you see that the block letter `M' is a constant reminder that Montana State University was Montana's first college, and remains the school that serves the largest number of Montanans in so many ways.

Another distinctive feature of our helmet will be a white center stripe outlined by a blue stripe on each side. This reflects the design of our helmet during the '80s, and honors the 1984 National Champions. The blue in the stripes and the letter `M' will be navy blue, a slight departure from recent years but one which reflects not only the tradition but the prestige of our school.

Another snipit from an article on the MSU website talks about where the M on Mount Baldy came from, which helped originate the use of the "M" around campus.

The idea for the "M" emerged in the fall of 1915 when members of the class of 1918, who were then sophomores, decided they wanted to create a monument to the school. The plan the students outlined earned them a vacation from class, and about 60 students made the trip to Mount Baldy, according to the 1918 Montanan yearbook. The class used rocks to fill in the "M" that day and returned on another day to whitewash the new letter, finishing it in the spring of 1916.

Editors of the class's 1918 yearbook called the monument symbolic of several things: "May the 'M' stand long as a symbol of our loyalty to Montana State and a reminder of what a united class can accomplish."

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:19 pm

John K wrote:I guess I didn't make my point very well, because everyone seems to be missing it. I couldn't care less that they put a decal with an outline of Montana on their helmets. What I objected to was the writer's comment that somehow that decal was a statement that UM, and only UM, represents Montana on the football field. Am I the only one who was bothered by that?
No, you were not. It incensed me, as well.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:23 pm

For whatever reason I couldn't find the artlicle you quoted, but I did find something startling. Dakota Prukop apparently got really tan on vacation and played defense and made a tackle(photo #8) :oops: Then he miraculously turned into Rob Marshall a little later. Come on Tribune, its a big game for the whole state. Get your players(for both sides) correct. #-o
Last edited by kwcat on Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:26 pm

crackgina wrote:Can I ask why the Cats insist on a single "M" on their helmets? That is traditionally for the University of the state that is playing. (See Michigan, Minnesota, Maine, etc...). The state university usually has an "S" somewhere on the helmet if letters are used. I would think that MSU wouldn't want to be confused with UM. Am I missing something?

Dear crack,
In addition to above answer, we are not from Michigan, Maine, etc....

Sincerely
kwcat

Reddevil66-MSU
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Reddevil66-MSU » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Macniel4025, this is not meant to be derogitory, but you say MSU needs to get with the times with the helmets, well, that white helmet is not one of our helmets, yet, but the design of the hlemet is so new that that helmet is the only one of its design in the country, its with the times. Also, if you haven't been paying attention, since we did our blue helmet with the number on the side I have seen numerous other schools do the same, such as NAU. Also, as far as I am concerned, Montana does feel like they are the only school in Montana, its their delusional egos, but really is it compesation for their decline in numbers, they need that to feel like State, which cries STATE envy to me. We are STATE, and what we do in athletics is front of the pack.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:32 pm

kwcat wrote:

For whatever reason I couldn't find the artlicle you quoted, but I did find something startling. Dakota Prukop apparently got really tan on vacation and played defense and made a tackle(photo 8) :oops: Then he miraculously turned into Rob Marshall a little later. Come on Tribune, its a big game for the whole state. Get your players(for both sides) correct. #-o
It was the primary game story in the Sunday (11/23) edition. Well there was a story on the front page too, but this was the one in the sports section. In the print edition, #5 was properly identified as Robert Marshall in the caption below the photo.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:33 pm

kwcat wrote:

Dear crack,

Sincerely
kwcat
And according to the Tribune writer, we don't really represent Montana, so we probably don't deserve to have an "M" on our helmets either.

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:34 pm

With the emergence of the web, local public media has suffered greatly especially print sports. Back in the day you had to nail it every time because you were
the outlet of sports data. Now with smart phones and such they are kind of shoved aside for more immediate results.

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:36 pm

John K wrote:
kwcat wrote:

For whatever reason I couldn't find the artlicle you quoted, but I did find something startling. Dakota Prukop apparently got really tan on vacation and played defense and made a tackle(photo 8) :oops: Then he miraculously turned into Rob Marshall a little later. Come on Tribune, its a big game for the whole state. Get your players(for both sides) correct. #-o
It was the primary game story in the Sunday (11/23) edition. Well there was a story on the front page too, but this was the one in the sports section. In the print edition, #5 was properly identified as Robert Marshall in the caption below the photo.
In the online edition there are 3 photos of Marshall making tackles. One of which they refer to him as Prukop. Which is funny to me. How do you look at a roster and get two of three correct?

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:40 pm

John K wrote:
kwcat wrote:

Dear crack,

Sincerely
kwcat
And according to the Tribune writer, we don't really represent Montana, so we probably don't deserve to have an "M" on our helmets either.
Lot of discussion here on helmets, off thread I know. I love the Gold helmets with the M along with the blue tops and gold pants. Clean soldiers to war look and classic.
Incidentley I like all of our helmets for change ups including the white one that hasn't been used yet.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:With the emergence of the web, local public media has suffered greatly especially print sports. Back in the day you had to nail it every time because you were
the outlet of sports data. Now with smart phones and such they are kind of shoved aside for more immediate results.
The Tribune has certainly declined in quality to some degree in the past few years, but In my opinion, it's still far and away the best paper in the state. The Gazette is not very good at all, and the MIssoulian is even worse. They cover virtually nothing that happens east of the continental divide. And is it true that the Bozeman (not quite) Daily Chronicle no longer even publishes a Monday edition? I haven't read the Independent Record much lately, so I can't really comment on it, but the Montana Standard would have to improve greatly to be considered "a joke".