Next year D?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Next year D?

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 pm

We all know that our defense this year is nothing like the defenses we have had for many years. I am curious to know what we have for players coming up, what we are looking at for recruits, if we will try and land some JC or drop down players, if we may have a new Defensive coordinatior, and if we can get back to being a top defensive team? I hope that next year is a better year for our defense, but I know we lose a lot this year. Just curious to see how Ash goes about trying to get this defense back to what they are capable of being.

Punters are people too!!

KittieKop

Re: Next year D?

Post by KittieKop » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:00 pm

I think that's a great question. Recruiting and spring signing will be interesting this coming year. As well as seeing if there's a change at the defensive helm, as there probably should be.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:26 pm

You would have to start with Marshall? Does he stay or go? My guess is he stays so there is that. JC drop downs have never worked out well for us with a few exceptions so I would not count on that. I think the DL will be better next year. Thomas and Bignell got valuable experience, Sheridan is back, Wilcox will hopefully be back and I think Yates will be very good. LB will be a big concern. We lose our top 5 LB's. Collins will be good in time but Braun and Christianson can't seem to stay healthy. We lose most of our dbacks. Keyton is back but did not have a great year. Garcia looks good but after that we have a lot of youth and inexperience. As bad as our D was this year I would expect next year to be worse. But then again, a lot can happen in 9 months.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:41 pm

99 percent guarantee Marshall returns.

Here's what I think will be the 2-deep depth chart for the MSU defense when spring ball begins. Safety is a BIG concern.

DE – Robert Wilcox, junior - Grambling State transfer is a physical beast. Two blown out knees have hindered his career.

Zach Hutchins, junior — After overcoming academic ineligibility and back surgery, he's played pretty well during conference play.

Tyrone Fa’anono, Freshman — Thrust into action because of the Marino fiasco. He's got alot of potential and could move inside.

DT – Nate Bignell, senior — Joe's son came on early with a pair of sacks, but hasn't seen much time down the stretch. Tons of potential.

Tucker Yates, RS freshman — MSU has been able to redshirt him despite the fact he appeared on the first 5 two-deeps of the season.

NT – Taylor Sheridan, Senior — He's been solid this year. MSU desperately needs him to take the next step next year.

Conner Thomas, Junior — He's got the size and athleticism to be dominant. Will they give him the time he needs to excel?

Bandit – Odin Coe, Senior — He is what he is.

Devin Jeffries, Soph — former Class AA Defensive MVP could get more run next season.

SLB – Blake Braun, Soph — Played as a true freshman, sat out this year because of shoulder surgery. He's a rangy former high school safety.

Mac Bignell, Soph — Joe's younger son was a former walk-on safety. Like his dad, he's hearing impaired but one tough SOB.

MLB – Grant Collins, RS freshman — If he continues to progress, he has the potential to be an all-timer.

Robert Walsh, Senior — Solid walk-on should crack the two-deep in the spring.

WLB – Wyatt Christensen, Soph — The question is can Christensen come back after two severe knee injuries?

Joey Michaels, Senior — former transfer is physical imposing. But can he play?

CB – Bryson Keeton, Senior — He's been incredibly inconsistent this season. But his talent is apparent.

Trace Timmer, Senior — Kurt's middle son is tough and can hit. Will they give him a chance?

SS – Demonte King, RS freshman — Safety is MSU's biggest weakness. King was one of MSU's biggest recruits last season.

West Wilson, soph — Walk-on who's yet to play any meaningful minutes.

FS — Khari Garcia, Soph — Hard hitter, but can he learn his assignments?

Demonte King, RS Freshman

CB – Bryce Alley, Soph— Played as a true freshman and MSU thinks his skills are advanced for his age.

Jaylen Price, Soph — fastest player on the team sat out this season with a shoulder injury.

Montana State loses Na'a Moeakiola, Cole Moore, Alex Singleton, Eryon Barnett, Rob Marshall, Deonte Flowers and Taylor Dees from the starting lineup. Defensive tackle is the only spot the Cats will upgrade. The defense has a long ways to go to get back to the level they played at for the last decade before this season.

Cats_Win_Again
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cats_Win_Again » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Reach out to the Biology Dept. and genetically clone Newell (Linebacker) and Griebel (safety)....Those two will tackle and cover......that's 2 quick "in-house" solutions to 2015.
If the NCAA prohibits cloning, then JC it is.....I do hope they give Timmer a shot in the secondary.......I think he will be solid back there.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:02 pm

If you want the defense to be better, the philosophy needs to change first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:10 pm

FTG06' wrote:If you want the defense to be better, the philosophy needs to change first.

Won't happen.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:15 pm

60's Cat wrote:
FTG06' wrote:If you want the defense to be better, the philosophy needs to change first.

Won't happen.
But we're gonig to play base and we're going to play it fast! 8)

:mrgreen:

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 pm

60's Cat wrote:

Won't happen.
I disagree. After the offense choked itself last year, Ash recognized the need for change and said as much. The precedent is already there.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:22 pm

FTG06' wrote:
60's Cat wrote:

Won't happen.
I disagree. After the offense choked itself last year, Ash recognized the need for change and said as much. The precedent is already there.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm inclined to think that was just more coach-speak.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
60's Cat wrote:

Won't happen.
But we're gonig to play base and we're going to play it fast! 8)

:mrgreen:
Playing base, playing it fast, and getting our backsides handed to us when it matters since 2007 \:D/ \:D/ That's the Marshall Plan

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:31 pm

You guys throw your shoulders out yet slapping high fives and patting yourselves on the back for your witty snarkiness? :roll:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:35 pm

KittieKop wrote:You guys throw your shoulders out yet slapping high fives and patting yourselves on the back for your witty snarkiness? :roll:
I just hope they don't have the MSU training staff work on them-they'll never make it back.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:19 pm

if we don't get players that can be effective in Marshall's defense, (e.g. defensive ends that threaten sacks, corners that can play press, safeties that are physical and athletic) , we need to change the defense.

2024 Resume dominance

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:54 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:You guys throw your shoulders out yet slapping high fives and patting yourselves on the back for your witty snarkiness? :roll:
I just hope they don't have the MSU training staff work on them-they'll never make it back.
Now even the training staff is taking shots. Wow.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:56 pm

The foundation of every defense is to:
1- Stop the run.
2- Pressure the QB.

Save a few exceptions, we have done ok on #1. We have not had a good year pressuring the QB.

GRZSLAYER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by GRZSLAYER » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 pm

I know there is a lot of hatred towards Coach Marshall. Trust me I could drive the bus if needed. To me Ash and Marshall have glaring weaknesses in their coaching technique and it simple comes down to this. They know what their going to do and will do nothing to change it. It is what it is and if the kids can't do it or just aren't talented enough to do it then we just talk about how they were just not gap sound, out of assignment and so on.

I am not proclaiming Chip Kelly a God like most people do in sports media, even though he's no slouch. After his starting QB this year Nick Foles went down all the media jumped all over him about how Sanchize would fit his offense. His response was simply. Tell me what players I have to play with and I will tell you what offense we will run. WOW. There is a cutting edge thought. If only so many other coaches would think like that and to me it would seem to be just common sense. Actually fit a scheme around the talent you have. Not beat a square peg into a round hole.

That to me is why I continue to lose respect for Ash and Marshall and why our defense will never get better. We succeeded early because we had people like Fletcher, Ogden, Schreibis, Daly, Minter, and most of all Owens. These guys just refused to lose and would do whatever to overcome it. I think we have a lot of young talent on this defense, but will it be developed or put into a position to succeed. My souring opinion tells me no.

Dakota Prukop -MSU Quarterback
Dude on my plane is wearin a Montana Grizzlie shirt. I'm pretty sure he's the reason our whole plane smells like B.O.

Kurt Davis-MSU Receiver
I needed a change for one, but for two, I HAD to go to Coach Haucks rival school.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:29 pm

GRZSLAYER wrote:I know there is a lot of hatred towards Coach Marshall. Trust me I could drive the bus if needed. To me Ash and Marshall have glaring weaknesses in their coaching technique and it simple comes down to this. They know what their going to do and will do nothing to change it. It is what it is and if the kids can't do it or just aren't talented enough to do it then we just talk about how they were just not gap sound, out of assignment and so on.

I am not proclaiming Chip Kelly a God like most people do in sports media, even though he's no slouch. After his starting QB this year Nick Foles went down all the media jumped all over him about how Sanchize would fit his offense. His response was simply. Tell me what players I have to play with and I will tell you what offense we will run. WOW. There is a cutting edge thought. If only so many other coaches would think like that and to me it would seem to be just common sense. Actually fit a scheme around the talent you have. Not beat a square peg into a round hole.

That to me is why I continue to lose respect for Ash and Marshall and why our defense will never get better. We succeeded early because we had people like Fletcher, Ogden, Schreibis, Daly, Minter, and most of all Owens. These guys just refused to lose and would do whatever to overcome it. I think we have a lot of young talent on this defense, but will it be developed or put into a position to succeed. My souring opinion tells me no.
Yeah I agree, sometimes I wonder how dominate those players you mentioned would have been in a more aggressive defensive scheme. If you list all the top talent we've had here in the last 8 seasons it is tough to understand how we have been dominated in November and December.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:53 pm

utucats wrote:
GRZSLAYER wrote:I know there is a lot of hatred towards Coach Marshall. Trust me I could drive the bus if needed. To me Ash and Marshall have glaring weaknesses in their coaching technique and it simple comes down to this. They know what their going to do and will do nothing to change it. It is what it is and if the kids can't do it or just aren't talented enough to do it then we just talk about how they were just not gap sound, out of assignment and so on.

Yeah I agree, sometimes I wonder how dominate those players you mentioned would have been in a more aggressive defensive scheme. If you list all the top talent we've had here in the last 8 seasons it is tough to understand how we have been dominated in November and December.
I'm probably piling on here, but I too agree. Really, it's the cause of my frustration and many others that have voiced their frustrations these last few days.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:57 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:The foundation of every defense is to:
1- Stop the run.
2- Pressure the QB.

Save a few exceptions, we have done ok on #1. We have not had a good year pressuring the QB.
I think that begs the question, why?

Poor DB play so they don't have enough time? Do we just not have the talent on the d-line? Are our coverages not effective which gives them an open receiver to throw to?

I think it is a combination of everything.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level