Next year D?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Next year D?

Post by DicTater » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:22 pm

I don't know what will change, but I know it has to. Cats were 119th out of 121 FCS teams in pass defense. I don't think that the athletes here are worse than those at Northern Col., Weber, PSU, Davis, or the other schools which figured out a way not to give up over 500 yds a game. Our pass defense was worse than Incarnate Word's. Let that sink in a minute.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:23 pm

I actually like our secondary next year. Alley and King are going to impress a lot of folks.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
99 percent guarantee Marshall returns.

So your saying there's a chance.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:57 pm

DicTater wrote:I don't know what will change, but I know it has to. Cats were 119th out of 121 FCS teams in pass defense. I don't think that the athletes here are worse than those at Northern Col., Weber, PSU, Davis, or the other schools which figured out a way not to give up over 500 yds a game. Our pass defense was worse than Incarnate Word's. Let that sink in a minute.
Ugh ... yah. That hurt. :cry:

Hey, the upside is that pass D can only get better. :mrgreen:

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 am

DicTater wrote:I don't know what will change, but I know it has to. Cats were 119th out of 121 FCS teams in pass defense. I don't think that the athletes here are worse than those at Northern Col., Weber, PSU, Davis, or the other schools which figured out a way not to give up over 500 yds a game. Our pass defense was worse than Incarnate Word's. Let that sink in a minute.
How many prolific Big Sky offenses did Incarnate Word play?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:30 am

Southern Utah threw for 319 yards per game, but went 3-9.

My point is there are so many good quarterbacks in the league, Jordan Johnson might be an honorable mention pick when the Big Sky teams come out tomorrow. I think Dakota Prukop, Idaho State's Justin Arias, Eastern Washington's Vernon Adams, Cal Poly's Chris Brown and Sac State's Garrett Safron all have resumes worthy of All-America recognition. Safron leads the nation in total offense and he's probably going to be a third-team All-Big Sky pick. It's a referendum on defenses across the conference as well as a testament to just how good the offenses in the Big Sky have been this year.

Brown rushed for 205 more yards than any quarterback ever has in the Big Sky (1,285), he scored 17 touchdowns, caught one and threw 12. He is, in my and a great many people around the league's consensus pick for the most important guy to his team. And he likely won't win MVP and there's a chance he might be second team if Prukop and or Arias get the nod.

If Vernon doesn't get hurt, he wins the Payton. He threw for 2,876 yards and 30 touchdowns (just 8 less than Arias) despite missing six weeks. His invincible reputation was certainly shattered by his foot injury, but people forget that EWU was the national title favorite after the first month of the season. With VA back and full strength, the Big Sky could certainly have a semifinalist team once again.

The quarterbacking play has been ridiculous this season. DeNarius McGhee won the 2012 MVP threw for 232 yards per game and tossed 24 touchdowns against 11 interceptions during a 13-game campaign. He averaged 2.7 yards per carry and scored 5 times on ground. That season wouldn't be in the top five in 2014.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:21 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Southern Utah threw for 319 yards per game, but went 3-9.

My point is there are so many good quarterbacks in the league, Jordan Johnson might be an honorable mention pick when the Big Sky teams come out tomorrow. I think Dakota Prukop, Idaho State's Justin Arias, Eastern Washington's Vernon Adams, Cal Poly's Chris Brown and Sac State's Garrett Safron all have resumes worthy of All-America recognition. Safron leads the nation in total offense and he's probably going to be a third-team All-Big Sky pick. It's a referendum on defenses across the conference as well as a testament to just how good the offenses in the Big Sky have been this year.

Brown rushed for 205 more yards than any quarterback ever has in the Big Sky (1,285), he scored 17 touchdowns, caught one and threw 12. He is, in my and a great many people around the league's consensus pick for the most important guy to his team. And he likely won't win MVP and there's a chance he might be second team if Prukop and or Arias get the nod.

If Vernon doesn't get hurt, he wins the Payton. He threw for 2,876 yards and 30 touchdowns (just 8 less than Arias) despite missing six weeks. His invincible reputation was certainly shattered by his foot injury, but people forget that EWU was the national title favorite after the first month of the season. With VA back and full strength, the Big Sky could certainly have a semifinalist team once again.

The quarterbacking play has been ridiculous this season. DeNarius McGhee won the 2012 MVP threw for 232 yards per game and tossed 24 touchdowns against 11 interceptions during a 13-game campaign. He averaged 2.7 yards per carry and scored 5 times on ground. That season wouldn't be in the top five in 2014.
So do you feel that the defenses as a whole where better in 2012 or have the offensive schemes/personnel gotten that much stronger since 2012? Just as an example I think that both MSU and ISU have much faster schemes and in ISU they have both passing and rushing this year while 2012 they where almost solely a passing team. However, did other teams have as much of a drop off in defense as we have had? Tech we were one of the if not the worst defense in the league for yardage even worse than EWU which has had a porus defense for a few years.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:01 pm

I don't think our secondary is that bad. The Cats, as far back as Kramer, have had great defenses because they had great defense lines. We just don't think year.

The Big Sky is too good of a passing conference to get away with not having a pass rush, plain and simple. Any QB in this league will pick you apart if given 4 or more seconds in the pocket.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Who's the guy that is here taking classes that is expected to play next year, but not on the football team? A transfer from somewhere if memory serves. Is he on D?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm

lutecat wrote:Who's the guy that is here taking classes that is expected to play next year, but not on the football team? A transfer from somewhere if memory serves. Is he on D?
I believe he is a WR from back east--New Jersey or New Hampshire or something. There is also the TE from Miami.

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:24 pm

91catAlum wrote:
How many prolific Big Sky offenses did Incarnate Word play?
I realize that there are a lot of good passing teams in the Big Sky, but I also realize that Big Sky teams such as UNC, Davis, Weber, PSU, No Dak, were all better than the Cats on pass defense. I don't think that those schools have better athletes than MSU. MSU had 2 players on the first team Big Sky defense. The five schools I named had a total of one player on the first team. Yet, MSU is worse than all of them. Its just a fact. The question is, and I don't pretend to have the answers, what is going to be done about it?

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:29 pm

CelticCat wrote:I don't think our secondary is that bad. The Cats, as far back as Kramer, have had great defenses because they had great defense lines. We just don't think year.

The Big Sky is too good of a passing conference to get away with not having a pass rush, plain and simple. Any QB in this league will pick you apart if given 4 or more seconds in the pocket.
Agreed. The Cats have a decent secondary, but because of the scheme and because Marshall loves to have them play so far off the ball - it hurts.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:44 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
lutecat wrote:Who's the guy that is here taking classes that is expected to play next year, but not on the football team? A transfer from somewhere if memory serves. Is he on D?
I believe he is a WR from back east--New Jersey or New Hampshire or something. There is also the TE from Miami.
The Miami guy. That's who I was thinking of.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I don't think our secondary is that bad. The Cats, as far back as Kramer, have had great defenses because they had great defense lines. We just don't think year.

Agreed. The Cats have a decent secondary, but because of the scheme and because Marshall loves to have them play so far off the ball - it hurts.
Baring something major, it's pretty much understood Flowers is at least going to get a good opportunity to demonstrate his skills for Sundays. If Barnett can miraculously get healthy, he's also going to get that chance.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Cat Grad wrote: Baring something major, it's pretty much understood Flowers is at least going to get a good opportunity to demonstrate his skills for Sundays. If Barnett can miraculously get healthy, he's also going to get that chance.
Flowers, despite being one of the Big Sky Conference’s premier cornerbacks, has no aspirations to try his luck in the NFL. “I know it sounds crazy,” he said. “In today’s society, it’s definitely something of an anomaly. I was talking about it with my mom and sister and I just don’t really want to do that.”

Flowers is looking forward to pursuing his other passion after graduation: youth ministry. “One thing people don’t know about me as much is that I want to be a minister. I love playing the game, but I’m looking forward to going a different direction in the future.”
http://msuexponent.com/2014/11/20/athle ... e-flowers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote: Baring something major, it's pretty much understood Flowers is at least going to get a good opportunity to demonstrate his skills for Sundays. If Barnett can miraculously get healthy, he's also going to get that chance.
Flowers, despite being one of the Big Sky Conference’s premier cornerbacks, has no aspirations to try his luck in the NFL. “I know it sounds crazy,” he said. “In today’s society, it’s definitely something of an anomaly. I was talking about it with my mom and sister and I just don’t really want to do that.”

Flowers is looking forward to pursuing his other passion after graduation: youth ministry. “One thing people don’t know about me as much is that I want to be a minister. I love playing the game, but I’m looking forward to going a different direction in the future.”
http://msuexponent.com/2014/11/20/athle ... e-flowers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How cool is that!! I commend the young man as I've an uncle who spent 37 years as a minister and some cousins who went into the ministry. I applaud him. Maybe we could get him to become a chaplain somewhere down the road, not that I'd want our present team chaplain to go anyplace.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Hawks86 wrote:

Boy that's amazing. Truly a legit good kid. Makes me have even more respect for him than I already have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:32 pm

lutecat wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
The Miami guy. That's who I was thinking of.
No it's not. You are thinking of Anthony Davis Jr. He was the top recruit in New England, a kid who got offers from Maryland when he was in the DC area early on and then moved to Vermont for prep school after losing his senior season to an injury. After a fifth year as a prep, he verbally committed to Virginia Tech. He had a Garrett Marino-like situation where he signed, but never qualified. He sat out last season. MSU recruited him but didn't have a scholarship nor wanted another academic risk. He moved here for school but is not practicing with the team or a member of the athletic department in any way. If he can pull grades this fall, I imagine he'll try to join the team for winter conditioning or spring ball.

He's 6-3 and 205 pounds. Here's his film: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:35 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:

Boy that's amazing. Truly a legit good kid. Makes me have even more respect for him than I already have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flowers sat down at the podium at the press conference today and was told that he was a first-team All-Big Sky pick. He was truly, utterly, genuinely surprised. He admitted to not playing well against Idaho State or Montana and said:

“You just are telling me now, so thank you,” Flowers said. ‘Thank you. I’m dead serious, I had no clue about all-conference or anything. I don’t know…I guess it’s a great honor to be considered as a good player in the Big Sky. It’s a very competitive conference with great defensive players. I’m thankful for that. I don’t want to talk too much about myself because I’m surprised to be honest. These last two games, I’ve definitely struggled defensively. That happens as a defensive back, but you have to have a short memory and bounce back. I’m definitely looking forward to this week and trying to get a win with my teammates. But it did take hard work. I’m gifted. I don’t want to give myself too much credit. I just want to thank God because I’ve been given a gift.”

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Deonte was asked if he'd be able to step back and take it all in knowing Saturday marks his last home game. He said:

“I’m not going to let anyone take the fun out of this game for me,” Flowers said. “I’m going to have fun. That’s going to be my first and foremost thought. You never know. You always want to go into the game wanting to win, but it could always be your last game. It could be your last play. You could get hurt. It’s possible. I want to go in and be very thankful, play my hardest, play for my teammates and above all, have fun.”

He's a cool kid, man. Not self-absorbed at all. He was leaving the Fieldhouse one day and I was at MSU men's practice watching with former coach Stu Starner. Deonte came and sat with us and talked to us for almost an hour. He wanted to know all about the hoops team. As sad as this sounds, that's a rarity in this generation. But you could tell he was a fan of all his fellow athletes.

He'll make a tremendous minister. He walks the straight and narrow as well as any "star" I've covered here or anywhere. What he says he's about is what he's about.