Yesterday's lost lies squarely on the defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Caddislover
BobcatNation Redshirt

Yesterday's lost lies squarely on the defense

Post by Caddislover » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Last night I saw a lot of blame directed towards our offense, which is deserved to an extent for turning the ball over seven times. What I saw in the game is an offense trying to make up for the inadequacies of our defense. From the kick of you could tell the Griz offense was going to move the ball at will and what evidence is there from the rest of the season to show this would change. I saw Jake putting the ball in tighter spots than he should have, but when you know your defense isn't going to help what other choice do you have. The offense knew they had to score and score often. With this recipe for success at some point to see the result we saw yesterday.

With all that said I don't blame the players. I see the frustration from them on the field. The Cats have dead weight holding them back and it is on the sidelines. The players are playing their best within the system, but not to their potential. I see loads of talent on defense, but it consistently under achieves. If we as fans are frustrated, how think the players themselves feel knowing they can play better? Jaime Marshall is not putting these players in a position to succeed nor to play to their potential.

In order for our offense to run to its max potential, our defense needs to have the ability to get off the field. The argument that our offense scores too quickly, thus wearing down our defense is false. There are many examples of teams running the spread offense that have above average defenses and are not fatigued by the end of the game. Watching those teams, you can see how much more affective the offense is at wearing down defenses. Things need to change not only for our program to move on, but for Marshall to gain a new perspective and scenery for his own career. Right now he is dragging the whole team down with him.

I'm sorry for such a long rant, but this has been festering all season, and the offense disproportionately being blamed for the loss I had to say something. With all this said I will be standing in my seat on Saturday yelling and encouraging our team on until my voice goes like I have been since I started going to games in 97 and nothing will change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Yesterday's lost lies squarely on the defense

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Caddislover wrote:Last night I saw a lot of blame directed towards our offense, which is deserved to an extent for turning the ball over seven times. What I saw in the game is an offense trying to make up for the inadequacies of our defense. From the kick of you could tell the Griz offense was going to move the ball at will and what evidence is there from the rest of the season to show this would change. I saw Jake putting the ball in tighter spots than he should have, but when you know your defense isn't going to help what other choice do you have. The offense knew they had to score and score often. With this recipe for success at some point to see the result we saw yesterday.

With all that said I don't blame the players. I see the frustration from them on the field. The Cats have dead weight holding them back and it is on the sidelines. The players are playing their best within the system, but not to their potential. I see loads of talent on defense, but it consistently under achieves. If we as fans are frustrated, how think the players themselves feel knowing they can play better? Jaime Marshall is not putting these players in a position to succeed nor to play to their potential.

In order for our offense to run to its max potential, our defense needs to have the ability to get off the field. The argument that our offense scores too quickly, thus wearing down our defense is false. There are many examples of teams running the spread offense that have above average defenses and are not fatigued by the end of the game. Watching those teams, you can see how much more affective the offense is at wearing down defenses. Things need to change not only for our program to move on, but for Marshall to gain a new perspective and scenery for his own career. Right now he is dragging the whole team down with him.

I'm sorry for such a long rant, but this has been festering all season, and the offense disproportionately being blamed for the loss I had to say something. With all this said I will be standing in my seat on Saturday yelling and encouraging our team on until my voice goes like I have been since I started going to games in 97 and nothing will change that.

:shock:
first, a loss never lies "squarely" on one person or group. it's a team game and many people played a role in that beatdown yesterday. but when an offense barely musters 300 yards and gives the ball away SEVEN times it is frankly shocking that anyone could watch that game and blame the defense exclusively. our defense played pretty much how they have all year. our offense did not.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:16 pm

Sorry, but "no" to the title of this thread.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:23 pm

I've been a huge critic of the defense and Marshall, which I still believe is rightly deserved, but I thought the D held more than it's own given the situations the offense put them in. Um had what amounts to SIX EXTRA POSSESSIONS due to turnovers.

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:31 pm

We have always had an awesome defense. But then, never got above 7-4 with Kramer. You cannot possibly blame the defense for yesterday. They played well. I do wish Marshall would bid us all adios. Tired of him. Ash just let him go, I dont care if he is your bff. Say goodbye.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:36 pm

msuhunter wrote:I've been a huge critic of the defense and Marshall, which I still believe is rightly deserved, but I thought the D held more than it's own given the situations the offense put them in. Um had what amounts to SIX EXTRA POSSESSIONS due to turnovers.
exactly. look at this "drive" chart and tell me again how this is on the defense?!

punt
interception
interception
interception
interception
fumble
punt
interception
punt
fumble
TOUCHDOWN!!!! YAY!!! \:D/

seven turnovers guys. seven. five turnovers sandwiched between two punts. but ya it's ash's fault. or our defenses. wow. #-o

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:39 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
msuhunter wrote:I've been a huge critic of the defense and Marshall, which I still believe is rightly deserved, but I thought the D held more than it's own given the situations the offense put them in. Um had what amounts to SIX EXTRA POSSESSIONS due to turnovers.
exactly. look at this "drive" chart and tell me again how this is on the defense?!

punt
interception
interception
interception
interception
fumble
punt
interception
punt
fumble

seven turnovers guys. seven. five turnovers sandwiched between two punts. but ya it's ash's fault. or our defenses. wow. #-o
have you ever seen a game where 1 player had 7 turnovers and he wasn't pulled ?

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

TS4341
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by TS4341 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:41 pm

Caddislover wrote:Last night I saw a lot of blame directed towards our offense, which is deserved to an extent for turning the ball over seven times. What I saw in the game is an offense trying to make up for the inadequacies of our defense. From the kick of you could tell the Griz offense was going to move the ball at will and what evidence is there from the rest of the season to show this would change. I saw Jake putting the ball in tighter spots than he should have, but when you know your defense isn't going to help what other choice do you have. The offense knew they had to score and score often. With this recipe for success at some point to see the result we saw yesterday.

Dude, WTH are you smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:42 pm

They were totally faked out by Johnson's alleged injury. Pretty sneaky on the griz's part to play that up. We didn't think he could run and he did. They, as per typical, didn't get any stops deep in griz territory. They were terrible on third down-again as per usual. But they did cause a big turnover and held them only 34 points despite the 7 turnovers. That's not too bad. The 7 turnovers never gave them a chance to lose it.

How many players on defense retired between last season the beginning of this season due to injuries? How many players had season ending injuries? Wilcox comes to mind. How many players have been carrying major injuries all season long (Na'a Moeakiola)? I don't think this defense stood a chance from the first game-it wouldn't have mattered who was coaching them. We're going to need some help from the transfer and JC ranks to shore them for next season.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:50 pm

cats2506 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

punt
interception
interception
interception
interception
fumble
punt
interception
punt
fumble

have you ever seen a game where 1 player had 7 turnovers and he wasn't pulled ?
fwiw, bleskin only had 6 turnovers. the other fumble lost was credited to newell.

but i'm not sure i have. he had 5 turnovers in the first half and i fully expected to see quinn start the second half. i was surprised but i don't know this team like ash and his staff do. that's the difference between me and many people. i don't pretend to have all the answers or know more than the coaches. especially not the coaches that are with these kids every day. maybe ash didn't have faith in a freshman? maybe he doesn't have faith in either but would rely on the kid with more gametime experience? there are several reasons why he might have made the decisions he did. i don't know. i do know how easy it is to sit in my recliner on sunday and second guess all the calls made yesterday.

and as i stated earlier, there is not a doubt in my mind that if he brought in quinn to start the 3rd quater and he played terrible too there'd be some on this board calling out that decision too. saying he gave up on bleskin. saying he through a freshman into the fire. etc.

Caddislover
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Caddislover » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:11 pm

CatBlitz wrote:Sorry, but "no" to the title of this thread.
Well it got your attention. No, I definitely don't believe the defense is solely to blame. The point that I am try to make is that it is a cumulative effect from the beginning of the season. If you watch your defense the entire season not stop anybody, then what is your mind frame going to be when you see the opening drive get marched down the field, albeit a field goal?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:24 pm

Caddislover wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:Sorry, but "no" to the title of this thread.
Well it got your attention. No, I definitely don't believe the defense is solely to blame. The point that I am try to make is that it is a cumulative effect from the beginning of the season. If you watch your defense the entire season not stop anybody, then what is your mind frame going to be when you see the opening drive get marched down the field, albeit a field goal?

My thought after that first drive was "great, they can take FG's while we score TD's!" They had one good play on that drive and otherwise we held them pretty well. If the mentality of the offense is that fragile (I don't think it is), then they shouldn't even be playing at all. I'm just as critical of our defense, but you can't possibly begin to blame them for yesterday's debacle. Holding them to 34 points after 7 turnovers was pretty impressive actually.

GO CATS GO!!!

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:56 pm

Funny thread...seems like that guy that just talks to hear himself talk but really doesn't matter if it makes any sense

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Pretty much this. All of it.

This thread title = :?:

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:08 pm

:-k

FTG- GO CATS GO!

msutrackfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by msutrackfan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Seems to me that at the beginning of this season most BN posters were saying that it was the defense that was going to be the strength of the Bobcats. Wow! Now 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I know there have been some key injuries but .......

Gustofer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Gustofer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:32 am

To the OP, what are you smoking?

Our defense, unlike the rest of the year, played great yesterday...especially in the 2nd half.

Were you watching the same game as the rest of us? This loss lies squarely on Ash and Bleskin...in that order.

Yes, the Cats have traditionally been known to have a strong defense. Not this year. They have been ineffective and uninspired. The line has been pathetic and the secondary even worse. They have, however, improved to the point that they might be able to hold of a high school team. Things are looking up.

I surely expected a whole lot better from having Ioane as a coach.

griz since earl solo
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by griz since earl solo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:05 am

Not hardly. =; The Griz came out in a spread formation that had a base package of 5 plays, purportedly. They had been running a pro formation under Delaney for the past 3 years. I'm sure Griz fans were as shocked as the Cats "D". A myriad of turnovers multiplied with a few other factors such as Nguyen recovering his own fumble alotted the Griz a 27-0 lead at half. The Cats made adjustments and held the Griz to "ONE" td in the second half. It was not Jakes day and we were stunned how long Ash left him in. Sometimes it just isn't your day. McQueary may not have been able to save the day, but he was the next option and he looked good considering the circumstances. Just my two cents. I've watched 5 or 6 of your games this year and when Prukop is in you can move the f.....g football quite well.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 am

griz since earl solo wrote:Not hardly. =; The Griz came out in a spread formation that had a base package of 5 plays, purportedly. They had been running a pro formation under Delaney for the past 3 years. I'm sure Griz fans were as shocked as the Cats "D". A myriad of turnovers multiplied with a few other factors such as Nguyen recovering his own fumble alotted the Griz a 27-0 lead at half. The Cats made adjustments and held the Griz to "ONE" td in the second half. It was not Jakes day and we were stunned how long Ash left him in. Sometimes it just isn't your day. McQueary may not have been able to save the day, but he was the next option and he looked good considering the circumstances. Just my two cents. I've watched 5 or 6 of your games this year and when Prukop is in you can move the f.....g football quite well.
This is spot on. The Griz hadn't run much Zone Read in the games that I casually watched them. Combine that with Johnson in a boot all week, and who wouldve game planned for the Zone Read. We sure didn't....and it showed. But, we adjusted to it.....yes, I said that the Defense made adjustments - because they did.

That...and the 7 turnovers....3 inside the 5. Not our day at all. But to lay this one at the feet of the Defense shows lack of Football IQ.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:06 am

Why in heavens name did we wait till half to make defensive adjustmenys