Starting QB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bornbobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Starting QB

Post by Bornbobcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:47 am

I think Bleskin is a good qb, but he isn't a good fit for our offense. Our off is designed for a running qb. I don't think they can start Bleskin his confidence has to be gone and the teams confidence in him has to be gone. This isn't about jake and redemption, this is about the other players and giving them the best chance to win. The best chance is a running qb.

If Prukop can't go then Quinn should start. No disrespect to jake.

Like another poster said no matter who the qb is I will be present and loud come Saturday.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:48 am

GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote: ...the selection committee showed today that they don't want us there.
What? The selection committee seeded the bracket regionally as they are required to do by the NCAA. MSU likely would have gotten the exact same matchups had they won yesterday.

As for the starting QB, I think it's safe to say that #5 will be out there if he is at all able to go.
So Costal Carolina at UM last year was a regional game? Yep!!!!
Sometimes, actually it happens almost every year, there aren't enough teams in the region and teams get sent to faraway lands. Like when Stony Brook and UNH came to Bozeman after their first round wins. People, including myself, had SDSU playing at MSU with the winner going to NDSU as long as two weeks ago. Same with San Diego at UM with the winner going to EWU.

MSU01 is correct, MSU probably would've played SDSU regardless of the outcome of the Cat-Griz game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:52 am

Bornbobcat wrote:I don't think they can start Bleskin his confidence has to be gone and the teams confidence in him has to be gone. This isn't about jake and redemption, this is about the other players and giving them the best chance to win. The best chance is a running qb.

If Prukop can't go then Quinn should start. No disrespect to jake.

Like another poster said no matter who the qb is I will be present and loud come Saturday.
I like Jake and was very happy for him after the ISU game, but you're right. If Prukop is a no-go, then McQueary should get the nod. He led MSU to its only TD and UM still had all its starters in and they were definitely going for the shutout. It wasn't a garbage time TD, it was an impressive drive and McQ showed good skills throughout for his first significant playing time.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

If you give your kid the keys to your new pickup and he goes out and runs over a playground-do you give him the keys right away again? No way. Let Bleskin run a fake punt-but that's it.

Here's one caveat: What's SDSU's pass run like? If it's like Idaho State's and our o-line can handle them and the quarterback has lots of time then I can see trying Bleskin again. But if their pass rush is the strength of their team and Prukop can't go then McQueary. It appeared to me that McQueary's skill set is much more similar to Prukop's. He's far more athletic than Bleskin and can make something happen when the play breaks down. And it seems like against a good pass rush our offense is just a series of broken plays.

If Prukop's injury can't be made worse by playing-then for the love of all things holy-play him! Same with Shawn Johnson.

WrongleyAccused
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by WrongleyAccused » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:06 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Bleskin was the hero against ISU and the loser against UM. He played horrible yesterday. That said, our season is at this point is not looking good. Even if we somehow beat South Dakota State, there is no way we beat NDSU, Costal Carolina......They stacked the cards against us. As much as I was hoping for a possible turn around after yesterday, knowing that the griz truly didn't get the team and game they should have, the selection committee showed today that they don't want us there. So, I think if Prukop is not 100%, then you give Bleskin the chance for redemption. If it starts to go bad, play someone else. If it gets worse, run the wildcat. Even worse, punt on first down.
Who the hell annointed Bleskin the hero of the ISU game. His two picks are what kept that game close. The hero's in that game were the o'line and the second half defense. a high school qb would have thrown for 300 yards against ISU with all the time he had. Fact is he kept that game close by coughing up the ball twice in that game as well. He had a really bad game yesterday, he isn't that good. If he starts against SDSU expect 2-3 picks and an a$$ kicking. It's the playoffs, the competition will be vastly greater (something like we seen yesterday), and we can expect the same. Hope I eat crow but I've watched the cats fold in the late season too much to expect anything else.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:13 pm

technoCat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:I really don't understand the complete lack of confidence in 14 here? Wasn't he right in the competition for the starting job until the end? Obviously 10 had a horrendious day yesterday, and now he's had his shot, so next man up.
Its not a lack of faith in Quinn, I just think that Bleskin deserves one more shot.
Compared to what and by whose decree? After his first three picks, he still got four more shots at redemption by my count.

I hope Bleskin is able to put that horror show behind him, but I suspect it will take longer than seven days. He's gotta have a serious amount of mental scar tissue after yesterday and I don't think you can just wave a magic wand and it goes away.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:18 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:If you give your kid the keys to your new pickup and he goes out and runs over a playground-do you give him the keys right away again? No way. Let Bleskin run a fake punt-but that's it.

Here's one caveat: What's SDSU's pass run like? If it's like Idaho State's and our o-line can handle them and the quarterback has lots of time then I can see trying Bleskin again. But if their pass rush is the strength of their team and Prukop can't go then McQueary. It appeared to me that McQueary's skill set is much more similar to Prukop's. He's far more athletic than Bleskin and can make something happen when the play breaks down. And it seems like against a good pass rush our offense is just a series of broken plays.

If Prukop's injury can't be made worse by playing-then for the love of all things holy-play him! Same with Shawn Johnson.
I agree, they took the rushing game away from us by stacking the box, then made Jake beat us with his arm. The only weapons he had were Tanner Roderick and 3 first-year wide receivers. With their pass rush Jake was doomed in my opinion. Start McQueary!

2024 Resume dominance

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Cledus wrote:
technoCat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:I really don't understand the complete lack of confidence in 14 here? Wasn't he right in the competition for the starting job until the end? Obviously 10 had a horrendious day yesterday, and now he's had his shot, so next man up.
Its not a lack of faith in Quinn, I just think that Bleskin deserves one more shot.
Compared to what and by whose decree? After his first three picks, he still got four more shots at redemption by my count.

I hope Bleskin is able to put that horror show behind him, but I suspect it will take longer than seven days. He's gotta have a serious amount of mental scar tissue after yesterday and I don't think you can just wave a magic wand and it goes away.
Um, mine. That's why I said I think. :D

I have a feeling benching him now will have a much worse affect on his psyche. You know getting bucked off a horse and all.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 pm

I was sitting literally 10 feet away from Bleskin. He got lit up after the Wagenmann personal foul, and to me, looked dazed. He'd come off he field, sit in his spot with his head down, and a trainer would come over to see him. It was bizarre, because the rest of the offense was being coached while Jake looked to be in pain. I'm not saying that cheap shot by 37 determined the game, but 37 knew it was the backup QB, and yes, it was clearly a cheap shot. I lost a lot of respect for 37, and what that number is supposed to mean.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:36 pm

PapaG wrote:I was sitting literally 10 feet away from Bleskin. He got lit up after the Wagenmann personal foul, and to me, looked dazed. He'd come off he field, sit in his spot with his head down, and a trainer would come over to see him. It was bizarre, because the rest of the offense was being coached while Jake looked to be in pain. I'm not saying that cheap shot by 37 determined the game, but 37 knew it was the backup QB, and yes, it was clearly a cheap shot. I lost a lot of respect for 37, and what that number is supposed to mean.
I vaguely remember that play, but this game puts a lot of trust in players doing the "right thing." When you think about it, the penalty for knocking the other team's QB out of the game is pretty small: A 15-yard penalty and a warning. Perhaps those calls should be reviewed and if the replay shows the player should've been able to stop or slow down it's an immediate ejection and one-game suspension. As a coach (a ruthless coach) would you trade losing one defensive player for taking out the opposing team's QB? Of course you would. Fortunately most players have a concious.

toM StUber

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:02 pm

PapaG wrote:I was sitting literally 10 feet away from Bleskin. He got lit up after the Wagenmann personal foul, and to me, looked dazed. He'd come off he field, sit in his spot with his head down, and a trainer would come over to see him. It was bizarre, because the rest of the offense was being coached while Jake looked to be in pain. I'm not saying that cheap shot by 37 determined the game, but 37 knew it was the backup QB, and yes, it was clearly a cheap shot. I lost a lot of respect for 37, and what that number is supposed to mean.
FFS your a whiner. He pushed your qb. He didn't tackle him , slam him to the ground or engage helmet to helmet contact. Stop with your high and mighty "I've lost all respect for what 37 means" , be a man and accept that your team got beat and your backup had the worst possible game he could have had.

To the rest of the cat fans on BN, tough game yesterday, good luck in the first round.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:20 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
FFS your a whiner. He pushed your qb. He didn't tackle him , slam him to the ground or engage helmet to helmet contact. Stop with your high and mighty "I've lost all respect for what 37 means" , be a man and accept that your team got beat and your backup had the worst possible game he could have had.

To the rest of the cat fans on BN, tough game yesterday, good luck in the first round.
Touched a nerve, did he? He's not wrong. I just watched (painfully, I might add) and it way more than a push.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
GRIZFNZ wrote:

Touched a nerve, did he? He's not wrong. I just watched (painfully, I might add) and it way more than a push.
Saw Jake early on as you described but couldn't see the play from my vantage point. Anyone see exactly what happened and time in game?

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:48 pm

I think Prukop is probably done for the year. He was not even an option yesterday which makes me think he is lprettyssore still. If he can't play, I would go with Bleskin again.. Like some have mentioned, on a short leash...

One thing I did not like was the play calling with Bleskin was different than what the cats have called this season. Once Quinn came in, we went back to the read option, and had a little success

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:49 pm

I think Prukop is probably done for the year. He was not even an option yesterday which makes me think he is lprettyssore still. If he can't play, I would go with Bleskin again.. Like some have mentioned, on a short leash...

One thing I did not like was the play calling with Bleskin was different than what the cats have called this season. Once Quinn came in, we went back to the read option, and had a little success

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:58 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:

Typical Griz d-bag. The Cats got their ass kicked. That has nothing to do with my firsthand observation of Bleskin after that drive was over.

I had a blast tailgating, and stayed at the stadium in a box until they kicked us out at 8:30. There is always one Griz d-bag, and I was surprised I didn't encounter him yesterday. Looks like my luck just ran out.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

4thecats wrote:I think Prukop is probably done for the year. He was not even an option yesterday which makes me think he is lprettyssore still. If he can't play, I would go with Bleskin again.. Like some have mentioned, on a short leash...

To me it seems as if Ash has been in control of the play calling again, starting about the Weber game, play calling that didn't make sense for the situation, 3rd and 9 and throw the ball 7 yards on the sideline. Bleskin had lots of time during the ISU game to make reads, set his feet and make a nearly perfect throw. Yesterday the griz brought the house every other down, keeping Jake from getting into a rhythm. To me our play calling was pretty vanilla, with most runs going between the tackles.

I still believe JB is a good QB, yesterday wasn't his day, we should have gone with Quinn earlier, give him the chance to turn the game around. Next Saturday, give Jake the start, but rotate Quinn in and see who can get into a rhythm early and open up the play book.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:34 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
4thecats wrote:I think Prukop is probably done for the year. He was not even an option yesterday which makes me think he is lprettyssore still. If he can't play, I would go with Bleskin again.. Like some have mentioned, on a short leash...

To me it seems as if Ash has been in control of the play calling again, starting about the Weber game, play calling that didn't make sense for the situation, 3rd and 9 and throw the ball 7 yards on the sideline. Bleskin had lots of time during the ISU game to make reads, set his feet and make a nearly perfect throw. Yesterday the griz brought the house every other down, keeping Jake from getting into a rhythm. To me our play calling was pretty vanilla, with most runs going between the tackles.

I still believe JB is a good QB, yesterday wasn't his day, we should have gone with Quinn earlier, give him the chance to turn the game around. Next Saturday, give Jake the start, but rotate Quinn in and see who can get into a rhythm early and open up the play book.
they are the same playcalls, just a difference in how they are executed by the QB

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:39 pm

cats2506 wrote:
FTG247365 wrote:

they are the same playcalls, just a difference in how they are executed by the QB
agreed.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Starting QB

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:43 pm

WrongleyAccused wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Bleskin was the hero against ISU and the loser against UM. He played horrible yesterday. That said, our season is at this point is not looking good. Even if we somehow beat South Dakota State, there is no way we beat NDSU, Costal Carolina......They stacked the cards against us. As much as I was hoping for a possible turn around after yesterday, knowing that the griz truly didn't get the team and game they should have, the selection committee showed today that they don't want us there. So, I think if Prukop is not 100%, then you give Bleskin the chance for redemption. If it starts to go bad, play someone else. If it gets worse, run the wildcat. Even worse, punt on first down.
Who the hell annointed Bleskin the hero of the ISU game. His two picks are what kept that game close. The hero's in that game were the o'line and the second half defense. a high school qb would have thrown for 300 yards against ISU with all the time he had. Fact is he kept that game close by coughing up the ball twice in that game as well. He had a really bad game yesterday, he isn't that good. If he starts against SDSU expect 2-3 picks and an a$$ kicking. It's the playoffs, the competition will be vastly greater (something like we seen yesterday), and we can expect the same. Hope I eat crow but I've watched the cats fold in the late season too much to expect anything else.
Couldn't say it any better. Bleskin, like most D-1 QB's, looks great when allowed to stand in the pocket without any pressure. Hell, our defense proves that point just about every week! But he has never, in two seasons, looked even remotely competent when there is any kind of pressure. Want to know why he played pretty well against ISU? Because they have one of the worst defenses/pass rushes in the entire country. He threw 2 picks when they actually did get some pressure. No need to explain yesterday. I'm a GF guy, would love nothing more than to see another GF boy lead my Bobcats into the playoffs, but the overwhelming evidence says he's in over his head. If Dakota can't go, Quinn should get the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO CATS GO!!!