Starting QB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Herd
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Starting QB

Post by The Herd » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:15 am

What is Prukops injury? I haven't heard and did not want to read this whole forum trying to find it.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 am

Dakota has an mcl knee sprain. He may be back this weekend. I feel bad for Jake Bleskin. We as fans need to show our support to this fine young man if he gets the start again this week. I trust the coaches will make the right decision on a starter this weekend. It could be any of the three at this point. But Jake has given his all to this program. He has to live with that game for the rest of his life. He has been a model student athlete from a great Bobcat family and Bobcat Nation needs to stand behind him and show what true fans we are. He gave it his all in that game and didn't give up. Nobody feels worse than he does. He needs our support.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:11 pm

bobcatbob wrote:Dakota has an mcl knee sprain. He may be back this weekend. I feel bad for Jake Bleskin. We as fans need to show our support to this fine young man if he gets the start again this week. I trust the coaches will make the right decision on a starter this weekend. It could be any of the three at this point. But Jake has given his all to this program. He has to live with that game for the rest of his life. He has been a model student athlete from a great Bobcat family and Bobcat Nation needs to stand behind him and show what true fans we are. He gave it his all in that game and didn't give up. Nobody feels worse than he does. He needs our support.
Amen

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:25 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote: ...the selection committee showed today that they don't want us there.
What? The selection committee seeded the bracket regionally as they are required to do by the NCAA. MSU likely would have gotten the exact same matchups had they won yesterday.

As for the starting QB, I think it's safe to say that #5 will be out there if he is at all able to go.
So Costal Carolina at UM last year was a regional game? Yep!!!!
Sometimes, actually it happens almost every year, there aren't enough teams in the region and teams get sent to faraway lands. Like when Stony Brook and UNH came to Bozeman after their first round wins. People, including myself, had SDSU playing at MSU with the winner going to NDSU as long as two weeks ago. Same with San Diego at UM with the winner going to EWU.

MSU01 is correct, MSU probably would've played SDSU regardless of the outcome of the Cat-Griz game.
If the Cat-Griz game had gone the other way, I believe they would have just swapped MSU and UM, with MSU playing SD and then EWU, while UM would have drawn SDSU and then NDSU. The SD/EWU path is obviously much easier than the SDSU/NDSU path, so I think the winner of Cat-Griz was rewarded accordingly. At least I hope that's the way the committee looked at, because that seems like a fair and equitable way to do it, even though we came out on the short end of the deal.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:29 pm

John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote: ...the selection committee showed today that they don't want us there.
What? The selection committee seeded the bracket regionally as they are required to do by the NCAA. MSU likely would have gotten the exact same matchups had they won yesterday.

As for the starting QB, I think it's safe to say that #5 will be out there if he is at all able to go.
Sometimes, actually it happens almost every year, there aren't enough teams in the region and teams get sent to faraway lands. Like when Stony Brook and UNH came to Bozeman after their first round wins. People, including myself, had SDSU playing at MSU with the winner going to NDSU as long as two weeks ago. Same with San Diego at UM with the winner going to EWU.

MSU01 is correct, MSU probably would've played SDSU regardless of the outcome of the Cat-Griz game.
If the Cat-Griz game had gone the other way, I believe they would have just swapped MSU and UM, with MSU playing SD and then EWU, while UM would have drawn SDSU and then NDSU. The SD/EWU path is obviously much easier than the SDSU/NDSU path, so I think the winner of Cat-Griz was rewarded accordingly. At least I hope that's the way the committee looked at, because that seems like a fair and equitable way to do it, even though we came out on the short end of the deal.
UM wouldn't have made the playoffs at 7-5 with only 6 D1 wins.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:51 pm

91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

''

Good point...you're obviously right about that. I still believe that MSU might have been rewarded with the easier SD/EWU bracket, if we had beaten UM, and then some other team (not UM) would have been slotted into the more difficult SDSU/NDSU bracket.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 pm

John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

''

Good point...you're obviously right about that. I still believe that MSU might have been rewarded with the easier SD/EWU bracket, if we had beaten UM, and then some other team (not UM) would have been slotted into the more difficult SDSU/NDSU bracket.
You could be right. But if the griz has lost and another western school like Idaho State got in, we might have ended up in the same spot anyway. Who knows.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:06 pm

91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

''

You could be right. But if the griz has lost and another western school like Idaho State got in, we might have ended up in the same spot anyway. Who knows.
San Diego probably plays either SHSU or SE La if MSU had won. MSU wouldn't have been put in EWU's bracket. They try to avoid that as much as possible. EWU would've played the San Diego vs SHSU or SE La winner.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:30 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

''

San Diego probably plays either SHSU or SE La if MSU had won. MSU wouldn't have been put in EWU's bracket. They try to avoid that as much as possible. EWU would've played the San Diego vs SHSU or SE La winner.
What? Why would they place UM in EWU's bracket, but not MSU? That doesn't make any sense at all. And "they try to avoid that as much as possible"? What are you talking about? They actually try to match teams up geographically as much as possible, and very often that leads to intra-conference matchups after the 1st round. In fact, there's even one intra-conference matchup in the 1st round this year, because the two teams didn't play each other during the regular season.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:32 pm

msuhunter wrote:
technoCat wrote:
msuhunter wrote:I really don't understand the complete lack of confidence in 14 here? Wasn't he right in the competition for the starting job until the end? Obviously 10 had a horrendious day yesterday, and now he's had his shot, so next man up.
Its not a lack of faith in Quinn, I just think that Bleskin deserves one more shot.
Provide one compelling reason why? Other than "he put 4 years into the program and should get the nod based on seniority".
How about the coaches watch them everyday in practice and on film and have a hell of a lot better idea of who should play than you.

IYAACYAS

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:35 pm

John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

''

What? Why would they place UM in EWU's bracket, but not MSU? That doesn't make any sense at all. And "they try to avoid that as much as possible"? What are you talking about? They actually try to match teams up geographically as much as possible, and very often that leads to intra-conference matchups after the 1st round. In fact, there's even one intra-conference matchup in the 1st round this year, because the two teams didn't play each other during the regular season.
Because MSU already played EWU and they'd have the option to not put them there while um is the logical team to put there. You're all over the map today. First you had um making the playoffs at 7-5, now this. :lol:

They try to avoid intraconference games as best they can. Sometimes they can't avoid. It's not that rare.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:56 pm

If the Cat-Griz game had gone the other way, I believe they would have just swapped MSU and UM, with MSU playing SD and then EWU, while UM would have drawn SDSU and then NDSU. The SD/EWU path is obviously much easier than the SDSU/NDSU path, so I think the winner of Cat-Griz was rewarded accordingly. At least I hope that's the way the committee looked at, because that seems like a fair and equitable way to do it, even though we came out on the short end of the deal.[/quote]

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk[/quote]''

Good point...you're obviously right about that. I still believe that MSU might have been rewarded with the easier SD/EWU bracket, if we had beaten UM, and then some other team (not UM) would have been slotted into the more difficult SDSU/NDSU bracket.[/quote]

You could be right. But if the griz has lost and another western school like Idaho State got in, we might have ended up in the same spot anyway. Who knows.[/quote]
San Diego probably plays either SHSU or SE La if MSU had won. MSU wouldn't have been put in EWU's bracket. They try to avoid that as much as possible. EWU would've played the San Diego vs SHSU or SE La winner.[/quote]

What? Why would they place UM in EWU's bracket, but not MSU? That doesn't make any sense at all. And "they try to avoid that as much as possible"? What are you talking about? They actually try to match teams up geographically as much as possible, and very often that leads to intra-conference matchups after the 1st round. In fact, there's even one intra-conference matchup in the 1st round this year, because the two teams didn't play each other during the regular season.[/quote]

Because MSU already played EWU and they'd have the option to not put them there while um is the logical team to put there. You're all over the map today. First you had um making the playoffs at 7-5, now this. :lol:

They try to avoid intraconference games as best they can. Sometimes they can't avoid. It's not that rare.[/quote]

I don't necessarily believe that they're worried about trying to avoid intra-conference games, i.e. SDSU would play NDSU in the 2nd round if they beat MSU, and there's even one intra-conference pairing in the 1st round. And talk about "all over the map"...you say they wouldn't put MSU in EWU''s bracket because they've already played each other, but UM is the "logical" choice to put there? Well EWU has already played UM too, so why is a UM-EWU matchup logical, but not MSU-EWU...what's the difference?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:00 pm

John K wrote:If the Cat-Griz game had gone the other way, I believe they would have just swapped MSU and UM, with MSU playing SD and then EWU, while UM would have drawn SDSU and then NDSU. The SD/EWU path is obviously much easier than the SDSU/NDSU path, so I think the winner of Cat-Griz was rewarded accordingly. At least I hope that's the way the committee looked at, because that seems like a fair and equitable way to do it, even though we came out on the short end of the deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk[/quote]''

Good point...you're obviously right about that. I still believe that MSU might have been rewarded with the easier SD/EWU bracket, if we had beaten UM, and then some other team (not UM) would have been slotted into the more difficult SDSU/NDSU bracket.[/quote]

You could be right. But if the griz has lost and another western school like Idaho State got in, we might have ended up in the same spot anyway. Who knows.[/quote]
San Diego probably plays either SHSU or SE La if MSU had won. MSU wouldn't have been put in EWU's bracket. They try to avoid that as much as possible. EWU would've played the San Diego vs SHSU or SE La winner.[/quote]

What? Why would they place UM in EWU's bracket, but not MSU? That doesn't make any sense at all. And "they try to avoid that as much as possible"? What are you talking about? They actually try to match teams up geographically as much as possible, and very often that leads to intra-conference matchups after the 1st round. In fact, there's even one intra-conference matchup in the 1st round this year, because the two teams didn't play each other during the regular season.[/quote]

They try to avoid intraconference games as best they can. Sometimes they can't avoid. It's not that rare.[/quote]

I don't necessarily believe that they're worried about trying to avoid intra-conference games, i.e. SDSU would play NDSU in the 2nd round if they beat MSU, and there's even one intra-conference pairing in the 1st round. And talk about "all over the map"...you say they wouldn't put MSU in EWU''s bracket because they've already played each other, but UM is the "logical" choice to put there? Well EWU has already played UM too, so why is a UM-EWU matchup logical, but not MSU-EWU...what's the difference?[/quote]
John--I could be wrong but I think he's saying that if MSU would have won UM wouldn't be in so they would have left MSU with the SDSU/NDSU route and would have avoided the conference matchup in the 2nd round. By UM winning they didn't have a choice and UM got the easier route because of the win over MSU. Hopefully that makes sense. If that doesn't then I'm as confused as you.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:37 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote: What? The selection committee seeded the bracket regionally as they are required to do by the NCAA. MSU likely would have gotten the exact same matchups had they won yesterday.

''

They try to avoid intraconference games as best they can. Sometimes they can't avoid. It's not that rare.
They avoid intra-conference games in the first round only. After that it's completely regional as much as possible. If um wins their first round game they go to EWU. If we lose our first round game, SDSU goes to NDSU. If UNI wins they go to Illinois State.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:12 pm

I'll be cheering my head off no matter who the starter is.

I don't think Bleskin is as bad as his game Saturday. He is very capable of winning games for us with his arm.

But with Bleskin, we need more than Newell, Brekke, and no true WR threats. We'll need the full stable of backs.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:19 pm

CelticCat wrote:I'll be cheering my head off no matter who the starter is.

I don't think Bleskin is as bad as his game Saturday. He is very capable of winning games for us with his arm.

But with Bleskin, we need more than Newell, Brekke, and no true WR threats. We'll need the full stable of backs.
My thoughts exactly. I don't care who plays. They are all Bobcats and I will support THE HELL out of them!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:43 pm

John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

''

Exactly why we would have drawn a rematch with EWU in the second round. First one was OOC

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Looks like Bleskin is out!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

joe_montana_state
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by joe_montana_state » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:06 pm

Here is a seriously messed up question. If both prukop and Bleskin are out we obviously start mcqueary. Great. Who the hell is our 4th string if he goes down? Rodrick? Griebel? Shawn john and the wildcat?

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 pm

gtapp wrote:Looks like Bleskin is out!
So is that on an injury or other list somewhere gtapp? Cant seem to find it.