SDSU @ MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

SDSU @ MSU

Post by CelticCat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:19 am

First round, winner goes to NDSU.
Last edited by CelticCat on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

MeerKat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: SDSU @ MSU

Post by MeerKat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:23 am

We're In! Time to put yesterday behind us. We're all 0-0. It starts Saturday in Bozeman!

merff33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by merff33 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:39 am

We stop their run game, we win.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!

OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!!!...........Dude...mark it zero.

Robert Martin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Robert Martin » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:47 am

merff33 wrote:We stop their run game, we win.

GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!
Sumner's first game back was against NDSU, I was at that game, a little rusty, but is playing better now. Tough to stop Zenner, which will not matter as long as the Cats get back to two dimensions instead of just one. They can't score enough if the Cats play like they can on offense.

Cat in SoDak
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cat in SoDak » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:47 am

I live in Brookings, so have had a first hand look at the Jackrabbits.

Very physical, solid team. Excellent RB and have been very good on offense overall since their senior QB came back from injury.

If we get our speed guys back, we match up pretty well with the SDSU defense.

Should be a good one.

TS4341
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by TS4341 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 am

That whole conference is Physical! We need to pound the ball more and be physical, we have the Oline do that!

jackrabbit3
New Recruit

Post by jackrabbit3 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:14 am

Just wanted to give a little input. If you stop our run game you believe you will win? I just want to add a few stats on our passing game from the last two games. Keep in mind our four year starter missed 8 games due to a broken foot.

Austin Sumner: 11/22/2014 16-32 395 Yards 3TDS 0-INT
11/15/2014 21-37 366 Yards 6TDS 0-INT

This goes along with our record setting receiver in Jake Weinke who is now I believe third on all time freshman fcs receiving yards and td's. Returing starter Jason Schneider who also is an all time record setter. These are both guys that are 6'4.

Then not to mention our two year all-American running back in Zach Zenner. I believe our pass compliments our run and vice versa.

I hope for a good game, but to say if you stop our run you win the game is erroneous.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 am

MeerKat wrote:We're In! Time to put yesterday behind us. We're all 0-0. It starts Saturday in Bozeman!
Not only that, but I'm not so sure MSU wouldn't be playing SDSU with the winner going to Fargo even if it had won yesterday. There was a slight chance that MSU would get seeded, but I doubt that would've happened based on how the seedings just released.

So MSU is probably where it was going to be all along.

SDSU is a quality team and MSU will need to be on top of its game to win. Getting Prukop and Johnson back at full strength is vital, because SDSU is going to put up some points and run clock. They crushed Cal Poly early in the season and put up 44 points on them. Also beat SUU 26-6 on the road.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:38 am

jackrabbit3 wrote:Just wanted to give a little input. If you stop our run game you believe you will win? I just want to add a few stats on our passing game from the last two games. Keep in mind our four year starter missed 8 games due to a broken foot.

This goes along with our record setting receiver in Jake Weinke who is now I believe third on all time freshman fcs receiving yards and td's. Returing starter Jason Schneider who also is an all time record setter. These are both guys that are 6'4.

Then not to mention our two year all-American running back in Zach Zenner. I believe our pass compliments our run and vice versa.

I hope for a good game, but to say if you stop our run you win the game is erroneous.
it's pretty standard football strategy to try to stop the run to win the game. i don't think anyone was implying that you can't throw the ball. but you guys seem to be a pretty good running team and after briefly looking over your games you seem to be a run first team.

hell...the cats can throw the ball around pretty good too but i think most of us here would agree that if you stop our run game you have a great shot at beating us.

nothing i'd be offended by if i were you... :shrug:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 am

jackrabbit3 wrote:Just wanted to give a little input. If you stop our run game you believe you will win? I just want to add a few stats on our passing game from the last two games. Keep in mind our four year starter missed 8 games due to a broken foot.

Are you coming to MSU for the game? Pretty neat that we get to watch tall receivers again... :lol:

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 am

TomCat88 wrote:
MeerKat wrote:We're In! Time to put yesterday behind us. We're all 0-0. It starts Saturday in Bozeman!
Not only that, but I'm not so sure MSU wouldn't be playing SDSU with the winner going to Fargo even if it had won yesterday. There was a slight chance that MSU would get seeded, but I doubt that would've happened based on how the seedings just released.

SDSU is a quality team and MSU will need to be on top of its game to win. Getting Prukop and Johnson back at full strength is vital, because SDSU is going to put up some points and run clock. They crushed Cal Poly early in the season and put up 44 points on them. Also beat SUU 26-6 on the road.
So we were just doing Mick a favor and letting the griz into the playoffs. We just pretended not to show up. Since we were going to have this game no matter what.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:46 am

lutecat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

So we were just doing Mick a favor and letting the griz into the playoffs. We just pretended not to show up. Since we were going to have this game no matter what.
ya i'm sure that's what tom was saying... :roll:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:55 am

lutecat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

No, I'm just pointing out the playoff situation in a factual sense, not in a motivational (or lack of motivational) sense. MSU still had a lot to play for and a lot to be bummed out about. Conference title and ring, beating the Griz for bragging rights, knocking the Griz out of the playoffs. In fact, I doubt MSU was even thinking about its playoff seeding prior to the game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Potomac Griz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Potomac Griz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

You forgot one little tiny tidbit of info about those last 2 games you played. They were against bottom dwellers of your conference (0-8 South Dakota and 3-5 Western Illinois) :P

No doubt South Dakota State is damn good, and even better now that they have their QB back. However if the Cats are able to stuff the run and turn you into a one dimensional team I really like the Bobcat's chances of coming away with a victory. If you guys come into Bozeman and chew up the clock with your run game & balanced attack keeping the Cats very good offense off the field well...then I like your chances.

I wish this game wasn't at the same time as the Griz vs San Diego game. It should be a fun game to watch with one of the top offenses in the FCS (with a somewhat questionable defense unfortunately) going up against a very good and balanced team statistically in terms of passing, rushing and pass & run defense rankings. Hoping Prukop is back healthy, the cats shake off yesterday's disaster & do the Big Sky proud in the playoffs!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
lutecat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

No, I'm just pointing out the playoff situation in a factual sense, not in a motivational (or lack of motivational) sense. MSU still had a lot to play for and a lot to be bummed out about. Conference title and ring, beating the Griz for bragging rights, knocking the Griz out of the playoffs. In fact, I doubt MSU was even thinking about its playoff seeding prior to the game.
Sorry. That was my fault. I meant that myself to be a dig at the griz. You know one thing to say to griz fans. I knew what you were saying .

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:03 pm

I think we're gonna get rolled...but I'll be there cheering my head off anyway. Go Cats.

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Lucky?

Post by clawman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Toward the end of the selection show it was mentioned.
Last 3 in were:
Indiana State (7-5, 4-4 in the MVFC)
Montana State (8-4, 6-2 in the Big Sky)
Stephen F. Austin (8-4, 5-3 in the Southland)

First 4 out were:
Bethune-Cookman (9-3, 6-2 in the MEAC)
Idaho State (8-4, 6-2 in the Big Sky)
William & Mary (7-5, 4-4 in the CAA)
Youngstown State (7-5, 4-4 in the MVFC)
Why is it the Cats are hosting a game rather than traveling to SDSU?

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lucky?

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 pm

clawman wrote:Why is it the Cats are hosting a game rather than traveling to SDSU?
$$$-that's it. In the non-seeded games the host school has nothing to do with who is regarded to be better. We put in a higher bid. We'll probably take a bath on the game because I'm sure attendance will be incredibly low by our standards. I don't know if there's a booster slush fund to cover the cost or what.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Lucky?

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:27 pm

clawman wrote:Toward the end of the selection show it was mentioned.
Last 3 in were:
Indiana State (7-5, 4-4 in the MVFC)
Montana State (8-4, 6-2 in the Big Sky)
Stephen F. Austin (8-4, 5-3 in the Southland)

First 4 out were:
Bethune-Cookman (9-3, 6-2 in the MEAC)
Idaho State (8-4, 6-2 in the Big Sky)
William & Mary (7-5, 4-4 in the CAA)
Youngstown State (7-5, 4-4 in the MVFC)
Why is it the Cats are hosting a game rather than traveling to SDSU?
It's a bid process in the first round. MSU outbid SDSU apparently.

toM StUber

Theee Catrabbit
New Recruit

Post by Theee Catrabbit » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Potomac Griz wrote:

You forgot one little tiny tidbit of info about those last 2 games you played. They were against bottom dwellers of your conference (0-8 South Dakota and 3-5 Western Illinois) :P

No doubt South Dakota State is damn good, and even better now that they have their QB back. However if the Cats are able to stuff the run and turn you into a one dimensional team I really like the Bobcat's chances of coming away with a victory. If you guys come into Bozeman and chew up the clock with your run game & balanced attack keeping the Cats very good offense off the field well...then I like your chances.

I wish this game wasn't at the same time as the Griz vs San Diego game. It should be a fun game to watch with one of the top offenses in the FCS (with a somewhat questionable defense unfortunately) going up against a very good and balanced team statistically in terms of passing, rushing and pass & run defense rankings. Hoping Prukop is back healthy, the cats shake off yesterday's disaster & do the Big Sky proud in the playoffs!

Do you mean the "cellar dweller" that only lost to Montana by 8, and beat NAU? Or the other one that just beat a playoff team yesterday? Because that would be correct. That's the reality in the Valley.

Should be a great game come Saturday! Looks like it's going to be some nice Jackrabbit weather.