Knight??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Knight??

Post by Plainiac » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:15 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:While Knight may be a touch better in very short yardage situation (and by touch I mean very little). I've always thought Newell had a bit more wiggle and home run potential. Is a better receiver out of the backfield, and is much better in pass blocking. Every team needs a guy like Knight but Newell is just more versatile. Plus his drive is contagious. He's rapidly become one of my favorites of the current Cats.
When Knight is in the game, he's getting the ball. He's not good at anything else. On the sidelines, he seems like he doesn't want to play sometimes. During the Griz game, he wasn't going into the offensive huddles before each possession or any of that. He tapped out of the Idaho State game after his third touchdown and declined to go back in. Newell does everything well. Knight basically is only a dominant player inside the 10-yard line.

Fourteen different running backs in the Big Sky garnered all-conference honors, including third-team honors for Shawn Johnson and honorable mention honors for Newell and Gunnar Brekke. Knight scored 12 touchdowns and did not garner any recognition. What else do you need to know?
Not returning to the game after scoring his third TD is bad new. But, on the flip side..he's apparently good at what he does...score touchdowns.
William "Refrigerator" Perry of the mid-80's Chicago Bears, A huge 340 DL was sent in to play fullback when the ball was within a yard or two of the goal line. It got in. And after all, the game is really all about the ball, getting it, keeping it and getting into the other guys end zone.

I might have phrased that differently.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:45 pm

newell has passed up knight beause he is better at all aspects of the game, including short yardage running, especially as of late. he is definitely the heart of this team. He just does everything full speed, with heart and does them well.

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

catpound wrote:newell has passed up knight beause he is better at all aspects of the game, including short yardage running, especially as of late. he is definitely the heart of this team. He just does everything full speed, with heart and does them well.
I agree. Only question is: Newell, most valuable player, or mostest valuable player?

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:While Knight may be a touch better in very short yardage situation (and by touch I mean very little). I've always thought Newell had a bit more wiggle and home run potential. Is a better receiver out of the backfield, and is much better in pass blocking. Every team needs a guy like Knight but Newell is just more versatile. Plus his drive is contagious. He's rapidly become one of my favorites of the current Cats.
When Knight is in the game, he's getting the ball. He's not good at anything else. On the sidelines, he seems like he doesn't want to play sometimes. During the Griz game, he wasn't going into the offensive huddles before each possession or any of that. He tapped out of the Idaho State game after his third touchdown and declined to go back in. Newell does everything well. Knight basically is only a dominant player inside the 10-yard line.

Fourteen different running backs in the Big Sky garnered all-conference honors, including third-team honors for Shawn Johnson and honorable mention honors for Newell and Gunnar Brekke. Knight scored 12 touchdowns and did not garner any recognition. What else do you need to know?
Knight has set himself up to be the short yardage guy, ground and pound, score TD's. He has picked hard some good runs, picked up 1st downs, I think he is doing just what the coach's ask of him, go hard. It didn't take long for opponents to figure out 95% of the time when he is in the game he is getting the ball. Let him keeping pounding the ball and scoring TD's.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Does it matter that everyone on the field knows he's getting the ball anytime he's in, if they still can't stop him from getting the yards he needs?

We've had a number of almost purely short-yardage backs recently. CJ Palmer is the first one to come to mind.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:13 pm

I think Mr Knight has played well. Tougher to get the yards he gets when everybody knows what hes gonna do.
Surprising for that reason we haven't thrown some out of those formations.

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Glad Newell became the guy. What a stud. What happened to Knight? He's a junior isn't he?