Facts vs. Perception: Brawl history

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Facts vs. Perception: Brawl history

Post by JDoub » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:16 pm

Perception:
"Griz always win, it's not a rivalry when you win 20 of the last 22"
"little bro, we have a rivalry with Idaho, you not so much"
"Cats always find a way to lose"

Reality:
In the last 12 Brawls, UM does hold the advantage officially at 6-5. Hardly dominating. Unofficially, UM at 7-5, if you count the vacated 2011 win.
Yes, there was a streak. We all know about it and it sucks for Cat fans. But the streak ended a while back, before any of my 3 sons were born!
But, prior to "the streak" starting -- the Cats were 17-5 against the griz going back to when the Big Sky was formed, and were 22-7 going back a bit further, which is pretty dominating in my mind.

Reality is this is a rivalry and a great one.
Reality is many of the Cat-griz games in recent history (back a decade+) have been played for at least a share of the Conference title, and/or significant playoff implications.
Reality is both teams represent great football programs, and either team could win.
Don't believe this game means nothing more than any other game to griz players. not true

I guess I'm just tired of hearing about perceptions that are not reality. past is past -- how long does it take to change perceptions?

Proud to be from Montana and a Bobcat, and this game should be Game of the Week on a national stage.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Facts vs. Perception: Brawl history

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 pm

JDoub wrote:Perception:

Reality:
In the last 12 Brawls, UM does hold the advantage officially at 6-5. Hardly dominating. Unofficially, UM at 7-5, if you count the vacated 2011 win.
Yes, there was a streak. We all know about it and it sucks for Cat fans. But the streak ended a while back, before any of my 3 sons were born!
But, prior to "the streak" starting -- the Cats were 17-5 against the griz going back to when the Big Sky was formed, and were 22-7 going back a bit further, which is pretty dominating in my mind.

Reality is many of the Cat-griz games in recent history (back a decade+) have been played for at least a share of the Conference title, and/or significant playoff implications.
Reality is both teams represent great football programs, and either team could win.
Don't believe this game means nothing more than any other game to griz players. not true

I guess I'm just tired of hearing about perceptions that are not reality. past is past -- how long does it take to change perceptions?

Proud to be from Montana and a Bobcat, and this game should be Game of the Week on a national stage.
The reality is every Cat-Griz game since 1993, the winner has qualified for the playoffs. That will again be true this season.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Reality:

The reality is every Cat-Griz game since 1993, the winner has qualified for the playoffs. That will again be true this season.
Colter: that's not the reality. MSU won in 2005 and did NOT qualify for the playoffs.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Reality:

Not true. MSU won in 2005 (on the legs of Evan Groves and the backs of one of the best MSU defenses in recent memory) and did not make the playoffs, due to finishing the season 7-4. Griz ended up at 8-3, hosted CPSLO the next weekend and got beat by 2 TD's.

BAH, Bracket you beat me to it! 8)

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Htowngriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Htowngriz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Things have certainly evened out since The Streak ended, which, as much as I hate losing this game, is good for the health of the rivalry.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:29 pm

That one is my favorite, as Idaho has doubled up the W/L on them, much like they have on us. So ironic.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:31 pm

CelticCat wrote:
That one is my favorite, as Idaho has doubled up the W/L on them, much like they have on us. So ironic.
and not only that, but when was the last time they played Idaho?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:31 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Reality:

Not true. MSU won in 2005 (on the legs of Evan Groves and the backs of one of the best MSU defenses in recent memory) and did not make the playoffs, due to finishing the season 7-4. Griz ended up at 8-3, hosted CPSLO the next weekend and got beat by 2 TD's.

BAH, Bracket you beat me to it! 8)
I always mush 2005 and 2006 together. I forget that MSU lost in 2006 but went on to win a playoff game. Those two blur together.

So, in reality, every Cat Griz winner since 1993 except the Bobcats in 2005 have made the playoffs.

Htowngriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Htowngriz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:37 pm

JDoub wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
and not only that, but when was the last time they played Idaho?
2003. We continued to whip their butts even after they "moved up", so they didn't want to play anymore. Too bad, we used to play for a pretty cool trophy.

Muck the Friz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Muck the Friz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Reality:
But, prior to "the streak" starting -- the Cats were 17-5 against the griz going back to when the Big Sky was formed, and were 22-7 going back a bit further, which is pretty dominating in my mind.[/b]

My Uncle played on the 64-66 teams and talking to him the Cats dominated the series from the mid 60's to 85. The Griz won a few games in those years but it they were small streak busters of MSU's. Bottom line is MSU has dominated college football at every level it has played in. National Titles in NAIA, DII, and NCAA-IAA. That is why my signature claims our 3 Titles to their 2.

You can't spell dumb without UM...Guck the Friz!
Bobcats = 3 National Titles (we won 3 before they won 1...STILL playing catchup)
Griz = 2 National Titles