Vegas Betting Lines

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Vegas Betting Lines

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Picking us to lose by three as of now. Wow, crazy on the over\under... that's pretty high.

Montana State at Cal Poly
11/01/2014
09:05 PM (EST)

Montana State +3 -120 Over 73 -120
Cal Poly -3 -120 Under 73 -120

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Vegas Betting Lines

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:41 pm

catatac wrote:Picking us to lose by three as of now. Wow, crazy on the over\under... that's pretty high.

Montana State at Cal Poly
11/01/2014
09:05 PM (EST)

Montana State +3 -120 Over 73 -120
Cal Poly -3 -120 Under 73 -120
43-30, Cats beat Vegas while beating Poly and they hit the over/under on the nose. I like it, that may have to be my pick in the challenge this week.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Can someone explain the over/under to me? I agree it's a bit embarrassing not knowing how to read it, but I get confused. If we lose by two and the total points are over 73 does that mean whomever picked MSU and the over/under win?

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Can someone explain the over/under to me? I agree it's a bit embarrassing not knowing how to read it, but I get confused. If we lose by two and the total points are over 73 does that mean whomever picked MSU and the over/under win?
It's the total score, as in will the total score be over or under the line? In this case, will the total be over or under 73? If you bet over, then you believe the total score will be higher than 73.
Last edited by Cledus on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Bookies know the public likes to bet the over, so they generally set the total a little on the high side. In an ideal scenario, the line should split the betting public so that Vegas will win half the bets and lose the other half, and they pocket premium.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Home team is favored by 3 in a pick em game. So basically they are saying we don't know isht about either team so we'll give the nod to the home team. Sound about right Kenny Rogers?

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Can someone explain the over/under to me? I agree it's a bit embarrassing not knowing how to read it, but I get confused. If we lose by two and the total points are over 73 does that mean whomever picked MSU and the over/under win?
You bet the point spread and/or the over/under. It's not a both have to happen unless you bet both.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:11 pm

However you can tease and get up to 7 points for college and pro football at most sports books. Tease the Cats to +10 and over 67...

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by geogfather » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:58 am

There are not vegas lines. They are offshore betting lines. This game isn't available to bet in Vegas. It's incredibly rare for anything other than the FCS playoffs to be on the Vegas boards when it comes to FCS

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

geogfather wrote:There are not vegas lines. They are offshore betting lines. This game isn't available to bet in Vegas. It's incredibly rare for anything other than the FCS playoffs to be on the Vegas boards when it comes to FCS

Good Point. I seriously don't think UM beats Sac by 15, not do I think EWU beats UND by 24, but I don't know how to bet these offshore ones. Plus I think even using the offshore ones might be a risk.

http://www.sportbet.com/lines/football_college_extra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great time to be a BOBCAT!