Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 am

codecat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:What are other ways of increasing revenue and BobcatClub donations without raising prices ?
That is one of the real questions here - I for one would think the Athletic Department administration would be acting in remiss if they did not use this tool to balance the department budget, and like it or not, (winning) football does way more than its fair share, but its that way everywhere and we simply would not be able to have the quality of athletics that we do have without the funds. The Bobcat Club's primary mission is to support MSU athletics by providing scholarship monies for all sports - that is a big part of what gets guys like Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop here in the first place. I have not once heard anyone here complain about the cost of micro-brews and how much they drop on that single item each game, so to me the other question is "am i willing to pay for what i get or be like half of society and expect someone else to do it for me". Like it or not we are all responsible in part for the product we put on the field.
=D^ =D^

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps a $300 membership is too steep for some. I will voice my opinion at the next meeting based on this feedback. Maybe we need to require an entry level booster membership in order to keep the tailgate spot. how would you all feel about $125 or $150? Also, IMO, if all of the tailgaters are booster members, then the other restrictions need to go away, such as clearing the spots at a certain time after the game.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 am

RedCat wrote:
Catbacker_1 wrote:Sounds like a lot of people have reached the point where marginal benefit no longer outweighs the marginal cost if this is the case for enough people and the bobcat club starts losing money they will be forced to reduce their price and find equilibrium. I fear this is not yet going to be case, so we can expect to continue seeing rising prices.

In my case there is no added benefit, just a substantial increase in cost....which there has been for the past few years now. That's the way I'm starting to view it anyway.
As I said on another post, what if the added benefit is no restrictions, like the west lot?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 am

I certainly hope that all of the whining, pissing and moaning being done in this thread has or will be equally directed to the Bobcat Club. Spin your wheels all you want here but it won't amount to much. If you're really that dejected and miffed, let the powers that be know.

Until then, all of you should be grateful and happy that we all are a part of rising and dominant program. Go Cats.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 am

One point I would make that hasn't really been mentioned; the Bobcat Club shot callers are typically wealthy white middle to older adult males... Not exactly a perfect reflection of our fan base.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:52 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:I certainly hope that all of the whining, pissing and moaning being done in this thread has or will be equally directed to the Bobcat Club. Spin your wheels all you want here but it won't amount to much. If you're really that dejected and miffed, let the powers that be know.

Until then, all of you should be grateful and happy that we all are a part of rising and dominant program. Go Cats.
Sorry. I was unaware the required response was, "What, you want to charge me more money? That's not enough. I won't be happy until I'm giving you 90% of my paycheck, MSU." No coming to BN to vent our frustration. Got it.

I plan to give the Bobcat Club a call. Don't worry.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:55 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:I certainly hope that all of the whining, pissing and moaning being done in this thread has or will be equally directed to the Bobcat Club. Spin your wheels all you want here but it won't amount to much. If you're really that dejected and miffed, let the powers that be know.

Shouldn't MSU be grateful, not us? I chose to go to MSU, it didn't choose me. I choose to drive my ass 2 hours each way to go the game, spend my money on Football tickets, tailgate, gear, etc. I shouldn't have to feel grateful for anything, it's always been my decision. I'm just as faithful as everyone else, I just might not have the money to show it like some others can/do.

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:59 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
codecat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:What are other ways of increasing revenue and BobcatClub donations without raising prices ?
That is one of the real questions here - I for one would think the Athletic Department administration would be acting in remiss if they did not use this tool to balance the department budget, and like it or not, (winning) football does way more than its fair share, but its that way everywhere and we simply would not be able to have the quality of athletics that we do have without the funds. The Bobcat Club's primary mission is to support MSU athletics by providing scholarship monies for all sports - that is a big part of what gets guys like Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop here in the first place. I have not once heard anyone here complain about the cost of micro-brews and how much they drop on that single item each game, so to me the other question is "am i willing to pay for what i get or be like half of society and expect someone else to do it for me". Like it or not we are all responsible in part for the product we put on the field.
=D^ =D^

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps a $300 membership is too steep for some. I will voice my opinion at the next meeting based on this feedback. Maybe we need to require an entry level booster membership in order to keep the tailgate spot. how would you all feel about $125 or $150? Also, IMO, if all of the tailgaters are booster members, then the other restrictions need to go away, such as clearing the spots at a certain time after the game.
I would be all about that. I don't mind a membership to the BC, but I do think that $300 is a little steep.

By the #'s, 500% in 2 years. I think some of the people that don't get the frustration of the increase need to realize how big of a percentage that is. Gas is no longer 3.159 right now, tomorrow its going up to 15.80 per gallon. That 6 pack of Bud is no longer $6, its $30. You richey riches that can easily afford this increase(I'm kidding here, just wanted to throw out a little ha ha) are no longer living in your 3 million dollar houses, their now 15 million(again I'm kidding), your dime bag is now 50¢ :-^ . I'm just saying its a big increase percentage wise.

PlumbBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PlumbBobcat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:09 am

ImagineSanta wrote:

Shouldn't MSU be grateful, not us? I chose to go to MSU, it didn't choose me. I choose to drive my ass 2 hours each way to go the game, spend my money on Football tickets, tailgate, gear, etc. I shouldn't have to feel grateful for anything, it's always been my decision. I'm just as faithful as everyone else, I just might not have the money to show it like some others can/do.
+1

Sig, that's an awful high horse you're sitting on there pardner. Believe me, the powers that be will be well aware of this thread.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:10 am

The Butcher wrote:One point I would make that hasn't really been mentioned; the Bobcat Club shot callers are typically wealthy white middle to older adult males... Not exactly a perfect reflection of our fan base.
You got the "white" "middle" part right, at least for me, but I will tell you that there are several on the Board with young families, and even a few young singles. I will assist in voicing all of your concerns to the rest of the board, however in full disclosure, I've been on a waiting list for a bit for a TG spot on the west side, so this move may create an opportunity for some. BTW I don't sit very often and I yell.... a lot.

Just ask my wife :D :D

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:14 am

It sucks that some are being priced out, but before some go all postal on the Bobcat Club and/or MSU athletics. Do some research on how much their costs have went up. Just a basic search of the football budget is eye opening. Again it really, really, really, sucks, but athletics and the Bobcat Club have to find more revenues somewhere.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:14 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
The Butcher wrote:One point I would make that hasn't really been mentioned; the Bobcat Club shot callers are typically wealthy white middle to older adult males... Not exactly a perfect reflection of our fan base.
You got the "white" "middle" part right, at least for me, but I will tell you that there are several on the Board with young families, and even a few young singles. I will assist in voicing all of your concerns to the rest of the board, however in full disclosure, I've been on a waiting list for a bit for a TG spot on the west side, so this move may create an opportunity for some. BTW I don't sit very often and I yell.... a lot.

Also, I've been an MSU-ASA and now Bobcat Club member since I was 24, in 1984. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we would not have Bobcat Athletics at this level without the Bobcat Club and all of the groups preceding like Steer A Year! Who else remembers MSU-ASA and Steer A Year?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:

Also, I've been an MSU-ASA and now Bobcat Club member since I was 24, in 1984. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we would not have Bobcat Athletics at this level without the Bobcat Club and all of the groups preceding like Steer A Year! Who else remembers MSU-ASA and Steer A Year?
Yeah, Fullerton screwed that up. He got jealous of Hammer's cut, tried to take it over, and killed it. That's what I remember about it.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:29 am

So, I think we've learned that tailgating leads to ticket sales.... That's useful

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:32 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:

Yeah, Fullerton screwed that up. He got jealous of Hammer's cut, tried to take it over, and killed it. That's what I remember about it.
Exactly. My dad was a member virtually his entire life until Fullerton F'd it up!!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:37 am

I think its story time. Enlighten the rest of us what you're talking about.

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:44 am

Hawks86 wrote:It sucks that some are being priced out, but before some go all postal on the Bobcat Club and/or MSU athletics. Do some research on how much their costs have went up. Just a basic search of the football budget is eye opening. Again it really, really, really, sucks, but athletics and the Bobcat Club have to find more revenues somewhere.
I agree they probably do, but don't you find it a little stupid that they chose to spend some of the money on uniforms? When I see what they do for homecoming, cat griz etc, it is almost juvenile. Seriously are they little girls going to a dance? They are footfall players. Pick a uniform and use it. We don't need a flipping fashion show with multiple clothing changes. Save a few hundred grand at least!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:53 am

bobcatmaniac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:It sucks that some are being priced out, but before some go all postal on the Bobcat Club and/or MSU athletics. Do some research on how much their costs have went up. Just a basic search of the football budget is eye opening. Again it really, really, really, sucks, but athletics and the Bobcat Club have to find more revenues somewhere.
I agree they probably do, but don't you find it a little stupid that they chose to spend some of the money on uniforms? When I see what they do for homecoming, cat griz etc, it is almost juvenile. Seriously are they little girls going to a dance? They are footfall players. Pick a uniform and use it. We don't need a flipping fashion show with multiple clothing changes. Save a few hundred grand at least!
No, I don't think it's stupid. We have our basic combos and all the alternates including the 1984's are sold off. They will probably make some money from all the 1984 gear.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 am

Also I think the majority around here wanted them to keep the throwbacks and put them into the rotation. The possible white helmets have also been received positively.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:55 pm

PlumbBobcat wrote:
ImagineSanta wrote:

+1

Sig, that's an awful high horse you're sitting on there pardner. Believe me, the powers that be will be well aware of this thread.
There's A LOT of chatter on this thread. A lot. That same effort and energy is probably better directed at the Bobcat Club, not bitching about here. That's all I'm saying. If anyone is upset about this; solutions and communication to those that set these policies are where the effort should be expended.

Oh, and yes. Totally come here and discuss it. At no point did I say that was unacceptable. My point is that the effort expended here is the same for those that have set this unpopular policy.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

loggy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by loggy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 pm

lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:I understand that the Bobcat Club needs to raise money but the prices are getting out of control. I am a season ticket holder. When I told some Griz ticket holders the annual fee I pay to the Bobcat Club for "the right to purchase a season ticket", they couldn't believe it. I was too polite to ask what the Griz charge. Does anybody know what their fees are? What does a comparison look like between the two schools?
Uh, I just called them to get some info because I got curious........they charge a ton of money.

$120
$260
$420

Yeah, that's the most they charge. $420.(insert Missoula hippie joke here)

So on the plus side, if I pay $300 for the Varsity level to get my tailgate pass, I get to go to the hospitality room. So I got that going for me now.

What is the hospitality room and where is it at?
I don't know if there is one for football games, but at the basketball games the Hall of Fame room is open to Bobcat Club members. Free pop & popcorn, wine/beer for sale. Open pre-game and at halftime.