Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:36 pm

9 years ago when I was a freshman, I bought a tailgate spot. I believe I paid $60/$75 for that luxury. Last season MSU basically doubled the price to $200 after a few small increases over the years (which is to be expected). That $200 was going towards the costs of paving the lots, which I didn't mind paying. This season that $200 stayed because, why not, people are already paying it right? Might as well just keep it there. :roll: I was pretty vocal about that but decided whatever, it's not THAT much I guess. I don't mind holding that and using it as necessary for friends, etc... just to ensure I have a spot.

Anywho, fast forward to last week, I get a thing in the mail from MSU telling me that beginning next season everyone would be required to join the Bobcat Club in addition to the $200 for the spot. So that's $500 for a tailgate spot. That with the ever increasing prices of season tickets, I have to make a sacrifice. No more tailgate spot for us (unless I somehow get a significantly better job by then).
I suppose the demand is high enough for spots, and good for MSU, but it makes it difficult for some of us. Feels like they're weeding out the wrong people.

But just my opinion. Flame away if you want but this is getting a bit ridiculous for my taste. Apologies in advance if I'm out of my element.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:44 pm

I get what you're saying. UM made the decision to price out the diehards and cater to the deep pocket socialites. They get the bankroll, but it ain't WaGriz like it used to be. It's not loud anymore.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:32 pm

Just a few things to add before we flame away too much at the athletic department.

1. When the East side tailgate lot was transformed into its current rendition it was under control of the athletic department, which is why you saw a different set of rules for the East and West lots (think no alcohol carried in rule and the differences in tailgate start times).

2. This summer the Bobcat Club took (was given) control of the East tailgate lot.

3. In a transition meeting MSU police suggested the fee for that lot be raised (above the $200 it had already been raised to in 2013). The Bobcat Club chose not to make anyway changes for 2014.

Moving forward I don't think the Bobcat Club can (or should) administer both lots without treating them the same.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:38 pm

CatBlitz wrote:9 years ago when I was a freshman, I bought a tailgate spot. I believe I paid $60/$75 for that luxury. Last season MSU basically doubled the price to $200 after a few small increases over the years (which is to be expected). That $200 was going towards the costs of paving the lots, which I didn't mind paying. This season that $200 stayed because, why not, people are already paying it right? Might as well just keep it there. :roll: I was pretty vocal about that but decided whatever, it's not THAT much I guess. I don't mind holding that and using it as necessary for friends, etc... just to ensure I have a spot.

Anywho, fast forward to last week, I get a thing in the mail from MSU telling me that beginning next season everyone would be required to join the Bobcat Club in addition to the $200 for the spot. So that's $500 for a tailgate spot. That with the ever increasing prices of season tickets, I have to make a sacrifice. No more tailgate spot for us (unless I somehow get a significantly better job by then).
I suppose the demand is high enough for spots, and good for MSU, but it makes it difficult for some of us. Feels like they're weeding out the wrong people.

But just my opinion. Flame away if you want but this is getting a bit ridiculous for my taste. Apologies in advance if I'm out of my element.
I understand what you’re saying and I don't disagree with you. However MSU needs to continue creating revenue anyway it can. What I suggest is that you gather as many friends as you can and split the cost by making it a group tailgate. It is in your name so you will have the final say on who can be part of it. This way you can save your spot but get some help from the people that enjoy your tailgate spot with you.

On a side note I really think the reason we have not had an attendance of 20,000 + yet at a home game this year is because of the price for tickets in the Pepsi/Family Zone have gone up. Quite a few friends that travel from the Billings area say what use to be a $250 - $350 dollar weekend a few years ago to attend a home game is more like a $350 - $450 now. Each year the tickets go up it seems like hotel and food has gone up with it. Rooms at hotels on 7th Street could be found around $100 3-4 years ago, now $150 sometimes won't get you a room.

I support MSU trying to capitalize on a hot product but there are other ways to do it. Keep the tickets priced so an average family of 4 will travel to the games. A $75 season ticket in the cheap seats will keep the stadium full. What is not made in tickets sales will be caught up in Cat apparel sales, food, & beverages (hopefully beer next year).

I can’t speak for everyone but I know a lot of people that would gladly drop $20 at half-time on 2 micro’s and a turkey leg or sandwich. That is one of the fun parts about the game and people in the moment won’t hesitate to spend money. However you got to get them there first… It might just be a down year for attendance for various reasons but if 8,000 + Pepsi Zone tickets are sold every year to the novice/diehard fan at a price they can justify paying we will see 20,000 + 2 -3 times a year instead of 0 this year. More people at the games means more $$$$ for MSU and Bozeman. Tickets/tailgating going up and up will turn Bobcat Stadium into WAgriz, except the Galatian Valley can't support MSU football like the Bitterroot Valley can at the U. MSU needs Great Falls/Helena/Billings area people coming to the game and that means a 2-4 hour trip. We can't afford to turn Bobcat games into a social event like griz games have become. They still get 25,000+ there, we would be lucky to get 13,000 + if we lose touch with the average income families traveling.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:40 pm

kcatz wrote:Just a few things to add before we flame away too much at the athletic department.

1. When the East side tailgate lot was transformed into its current rendition it was under control of the athletic department, which is why you saw a different set of rules for the East and West lots (think no alcohol carried in rule and the differences in tailgate start times).

2. This summer the Bobcat Club took (was given) control of the East tailgate lot.

3. In a transition meeting MSU police suggested the fee for that lot be raised (above the $200 it had already been raised to in 2013). The Bobcat Club chose not to make anyway changes for 2014.

Moving forward I don't think the Bobcat Club can (or should) administer both lots without treating them the same.
So regardless of who's in charge, my point remains the same. Why would they reject a fee increase from $200 but make it a mandatory $500? Just to benefit the Bobcat Club? Seems selfish (for lack of a better term).

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:9 years ago when I was a freshman, I bought a tailgate spot. I believe I paid $60/$75 for that luxury. Last season MSU basically doubled the price to $200 after a few small increases over the years (which is to be expected). That $200 was going towards the costs of paving the lots, which I didn't mind paying. This season that $200 stayed because, why not, people are already paying it right? Might as well just keep it there. :roll: I was pretty vocal about that but decided whatever, it's not THAT much I guess. I don't mind holding that and using it as necessary for friends, etc... just to ensure I have a spot.

I understand what you’re saying and I don't disagree with you. However MSU needs to continue creating revenue anyway it can. What I suggest is that you gather as many friends as you can and split the cost by making it a group tailgate. It is in your name so you will have the final say on who can be part of it. This way you can save your spot but get some help from the people that enjoy your tailgate spot with you.

On a side note I really think the reason we have not had an attendance of 20,000 + yet at a home game this year is because of the price for tickets in the Pepsi/Family Zone have gone up. Quite a few friends that travel from the Billings area say what use to be a $250 - $350 dollar weekend a few years ago to attend a home game is more like a $350 - $450 now. Each year the tickets go up it seems like hotel and food has gone up with it. Rooms at hotels on 7th Street could be found around $100 3-4 years ago, now $150 sometimes won't get you a room.

I support MSU trying to capitalize on a hot product but there are other ways to do it. Keep the tickets priced so an average family of 4 will travel to the games. A $75 season ticket in the cheap seats will keep the stadium full. What is not made in tickets sales will be caught up in Cat apparel sales, food, & beverages (hopefully beer next year).

I can’t speak for everyone but I know a lot of people that would gladly drop $20 at half-time on 2 micro’s and a turkey leg or sandwich. That is one of the fun parts about the game and people in the moment won’t hesitate to spend money. However you got to get them there first… It might just be a down year for attendance for various reasons but if 8,000 + Pepsi Zone tickets are sold every year to the novice/diehard fan at a price they can justify paying we will see 20,000 + 2 -3 times a year instead of 0 this year. More people at the games means more $$$$ for MSU and Bozeman. Tickets/tailgating going up and up will turn Bobcat Stadium into WAgriz, except the Galatian Valley can't support MSU football like the Bitterroot Valley can at the U. MSU needs Great Falls/Helena/Billings area people coming to the game and that means a 2-4 hour trip. We can't afford to turn Bobcat games into a social event like griz games have become. They still get 25,000+ there, we would be lucky to get 13,000 + if we lose touch with the average income families traveling.
I get that but putting it into perspective of money, everything is going up except for people's salaries. If you don't have liquidity or disposable income, you're screwed. My salary hasn't gone up 667% in the last 9 years like the tailgate spots have.

kcatz

Post by kcatz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:51 pm

I haven't received my letter yet. Is the new requirement a specific Bobcat Club donation plus $200, or is it a flat $500 fee for a tailgate spot?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm

kcatz wrote:I haven't received my letter yet. Is the new requirement a specific Bobcat Club donation plus $200, or is it a flat $500 fee for a tailgate spot?
I think if you're already a bobcat club member like you have to be for season tix, it won't cost more than the $200-$250

kcatz

Post by kcatz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:59 pm

That's what I suspected.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:26 pm

I just opened up my letter. I plan to call the bobcat club in the next few days. I will probably be dropping some f bombs. I get that prices go up but now you're asking me and my friends (we already have a group of 3) to pay MORE THAN DOUBLE after it doubled last year? A c note says our tickets go up significantly next year too. Have to capitalize on Prukop and all. I know they don't kick out the west side tailgates as fast as the east side if at all after the half and game. They can kiss my rosy red you know what if they charge us a bobcat club fee and treat us differently in every other regard like currently.

I totally get MSU generating revenue but this is rediculous. Our seats have more than doubled since the new end zone was built too. Let's let football games be the playground for the rich. I know I can't keep this up much longer.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:53 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
kcatz wrote:I haven't received my letter yet. Is the new requirement a specific Bobcat Club donation plus $200, or is it a flat $500 fee for a tailgate spot?
I think if you're already a bobcat club member like you have to be for season tix, it won't cost more than the $200-$250
Yeah it's the whatever you're paying for the membership plus the $200 (or $300 if you have an RV spot). So $200-$300 spot and minimum $300 Bobcat Club if you aren't already.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:55 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Yeah it's the whatever you're paying for the membership plus the $200 (or $300 if you have an RV spot). So $200-$300 spot and minimum $300 Bobcat Club if you aren't already.
Whoa... There's $300 RV spots? I thought they were all $1000+

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Whoa... There's $300 RV spots? I thought they were all $1000+
I guess? :shrug:

This is what my letter said (sorry about the potato quality):

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:22 am

Hmmm

RedCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RedCat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 am

I haven't received my letter yet, but do I have it correct that they're now requiring a $300 minimum bobcat club membership, plus the $200 for the spot? If that's the case than the price of my tailgate spot has gone up 5X over the past two years....seems a bit steep.

ddlalum
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ddlalum » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 am

Kind of torn on this one….
On the one side, if there is an opportunity to charge a just price based on demand to generate scholarship monies, go for it.
However, I would hate to see students priced out of this aspect of game day. We need to do what we can to cater to the students, and I don’t think this helps.
Having a tailgate spot, I don’t have an issue with the increase as long as students still have access at a reasonable price. $500, is not reasonable for a student.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 am

I don't see a problem with them raising the tailgate prices. Matter of fact I think they should, I would much rather raise tailgate spots compared to ticket prices. It's real easy raising 500 for a spot. We usually have a lot of family members at our spot every game. Everybody pitch in $25 for a season worth of fun and it's paid for more than once. Or you buy the spot everybody bring the food, beer, etc..., is way worth it in my eyes. Raising the ticket prices is another issue because you can't split one ticket. Raising tailgate prices makes monetary sense in my eyes, and I'm surprised they didn't go up at the beginning of this year.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:35 am

So I take it there isn't really a true "student tailgate" lot anymore like there once was over on the east side.? That is a shame for the students cause some of my best memories from college were the cat games and the tailgates

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:01 am

This is pretty easy; if you don't like it - vote with your wallet. Pissing and moaning on Bobcat Nation won't be as effective.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:03 am

MSU announced some additional single stall tailgate spots in the south fieldhouse parking lot this last summer/early fall. I called to get in on that and was told I had to be a$500 Bobcat Club member to access those. I'm only at the $300 level so I had to pass, but I agree with many that its getting harder and harder to access football games. Most regular people don't have hundreds of spare dollars laying around.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?