Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
PlumbBobcat wrote:
RedCat wrote:In my opinion it's pretty excessive to increase the price 5X in two years. Personally, I can probably afford it, I'm just not sure I want to. I'm also sure I can ask people to pitch in and pay their share of the cost, but that seems like a pain to me. I have a couple young kids who will also both need tickets in the next two years so I'm probably going to be spending over $1,000/year on tickets and tailgating alone, not to mention travel, lodging, and meals. In comparison, I think my wife and I paid around $250 for two tickets and a tailgate spot two years ago.

I'm sure MSU has a better idea than I do as far as the prices they can charge, but at the same time I'm guessing I'm not alone in thinking that this latest increase might be more than I'm willing to pay.

This will be my last year. I've had 4 season ticket seats and a tailgate spot since the inception of the east side tailgate. I travel from Billings and have missed 2 games in that time. I have endured being put into a cage, having my vehicle searched on entry, pat downs upon entry into the cage and double standards in rules and enforcement in relation to the west side lot. Every year we see the grizzlies come to town we can expect a cost increase...I see the trend. Next fall I will play more golf, hunt and fish more and watch the games with friends and family in the comfort of my home on the 60" HDTV. I'll save thousands of dollars.
Unfortunately that's the current trend we're on. I get it. I just don't like it. Pricing the die hards out will not be good for the stadium atmosphere which will not be good for recruiting. They are sucking their program over there dry. Why do we need to do the same here?
Paying more for tickets or a tailgate spot is not inversely proportional to the in-stadium or passion of the fans.
Really? Generally speaking, is it the blue collar or the white collar crowd that gets loud every down?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 pm

It is what it is. The free market will decide. It will ebb and flow just as the success of the program goes. I've just seen where this leads and I'm not sure it's what I want. But then again, I'm resistant to change. :shrug:

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Agreed on your last 2 posts, LTCF.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

The Big Meowski
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by The Big Meowski » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Hey Blitz, hang in there. If you were a freshman 9 years ago (and I'm assuming you graduated) you like most in your stage of life are probably not being paid nearly what you are worth. That should change here real soon. I expected to be absolutely loaded shortly after school, but man it takes some time just to get on your feet. One thing I can promise you is that everything in like if going to be more and more expensive, and I'm not suggesting that it is ok or that you should even accept that fact. The advice that I give you is simple...plan on and expect to make more money, a bunch more. There will always be stuff you can't afford, but the important stuff will always seem to happen if you have the "how can I afford it" mindset. Sorry if I am out of line here. I'm not trying to sound like your dad. Just some advice that you didn't ask for from someone that has been there.

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Hawks86 wrote:What are other ways of increasing revenue and BobcatClub donations without raising prices ?
That is one of the real questions here - I for one would think the Athletic Department administration would be acting in remiss if they did not use this tool to balance the department budget, and like it or not, (winning) football does way more than its fair share, but its that way everywhere and we simply would not be able to have the quality of athletics that we do have without the funds. The Bobcat Club's primary mission is to support MSU athletics by providing scholarship monies for all sports - that is a big part of what gets guys like Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop here in the first place. I have not once heard anyone here complain about the cost of micro-brews and how much they drop on that single item each game, so to me the other question is "am i willing to pay for what i get or be like half of society and expect someone else to do it for me". Like it or not we are all responsible in part for the product we put on the field.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:37 pm

codecat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:What are other ways of increasing revenue and BobcatClub donations without raising prices ?
That is one of the real questions here - I for one would think the Athletic Department administration would be acting in remiss if they did not use this tool to balance the department budget, and like it or not, (winning) football does way more than its fair share, but its that way everywhere and we simply would not be able to have the quality of athletics that we do have without the funds. The Bobcat Club's primary mission is to support MSU athletics by providing scholarship monies for all sports - that is a big part of what gets guys like Lulay, McGhee, and Prukop here in the first place. I have not once heard anyone here complain about the cost of micro-brews and how much they drop on that single item each game, so to me the other question is "am i willing to pay for what i get or be like half of society and expect someone else to do it for me". Like it or not we are all responsible in part for the product we put on the field.
Yep, I get that too.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:41 pm

The Big Meowski wrote:Hey Blitz, hang in there. If you were a freshman 9 years ago (and I'm assuming you graduated) you like most in your stage of life are probably not being paid nearly what you are worth. That should change here real soon. I expected to be absolutely loaded shortly after school, but man it takes some time just to get on your feet. One thing I can promise you is that everything in like if going to be more and more expensive, and I'm not suggesting that it is ok or that you should even accept that fact. The advice that I give you is simple...plan on and expect to make more money, a bunch more. There will always be stuff you can't afford, but the important stuff will always seem to happen if you have the "how can I afford it" mindset. Sorry if I am out of line here. I'm not trying to sound like your dad. Just some advice that you didn't ask for from someone that has been there.
No you're not. I appreciate the advice. I love MSU and always will but things just add up and this was just my last straw.

And, yes, I graduated in the fall of 2009. ;)

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Sounds like a lot of people have reached the point where marginal benefit no longer outweighs the marginal cost if this is the case for enough people and the bobcat club starts losing money they will be forced to reduce their price and find equilibrium. I fear this is not yet going to be case, so we can expect to continue seeing rising prices.

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

RedCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RedCat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Catbacker_1 wrote:Sounds like a lot of people have reached the point where marginal benefit no longer outweighs the marginal cost if this is the case for enough people and the bobcat club starts losing money they will be forced to reduce their price and find equilibrium. I fear this is not yet going to be case, so we can expect to continue seeing rising prices.

In my case there is no added benefit, just a substantial increase in cost....which there has been for the past few years now. That's the way I'm starting to view it anyway.

Triple C
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Triple C » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:39 pm

:kicksrock: bummer... and I just got a tailgate spot for the first time this year. Well, guess I better make the most of it the next two games (and hopefully playoffs) as I certainly won't be buying next year at that cost. I've been considering dropping my season tickets for several years too because I just can't afford all of the additional costs associated with travel, etc.

I understand why MSU or the Bobcat Club is doing it, but I certainly don't like it and hope they understand they're at risk of pricing out some of their most adamant fans and also future supporters (my kids). I might just start working on my letter of disapproval right now and consider attending more Carroll games next year. :no:

Stitt: "Griz got 5 best in state. Small Montana class, but quality" Translation? "We didn't want all of the ones we offered"

PlumbBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by PlumbBobcat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:47 pm

Catbacker_1 wrote:Sounds like a lot of people have reached the point where marginal benefit no longer outweighs the marginal cost if this is the case for enough people and the bobcat club starts losing money they will be forced to reduce their price and find equilibrium. I fear this is not yet going to be case, so we can expect to continue seeing rising prices.

Any product or service that hits it's consumer with the percentage price increase taken by the east side tailgater is bound to lose customers. I attended MSU 35 years ago and have supported Bobcat Athletics through some pretty lean times. You are right, to me, the entertainment benefit does not keep pace with the cost. I guess the athletic department is gambling that the football team keeps winning and they can get away with jacking prices, but I have seen what a few losses and losing seasons can do to attendance. After this, I highly doubt I will be willing to support athletics through their next lean time.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I will admit I'm kind of shocked with the comments. $300 extra dollars isn't that much if you save say $10 a week over the next year. On top of that this is what happens when you have more success, more rules, I'm gonna adapt. I don't make squat but I know I like going to the games and tailgating so I know how to save for it. For those getting rid of your tickets this year I would think twice about that, the cat griz game alone next year could pay for the cost of your season tickets if you wanted to sell them. For those that are gonna go hunting and fishing more next year, I can assure that will cost you more money than going to the games. I hunt and fish and it isn't a cheap hobby especially bow hunting. For me I don't get it, and yes I have student loans, a car payment, and I have a home mortgage so I know how tight things are.

If your left, you aren’t right.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:I will admit I'm kind of shocked with the comments. $300 extra dollars isn't that much if you save say $10 a week over the next year. On top of that this is what happens when you have more success, more rules, I'm gonna adapt. I don't make squat but I know I like going to the games and tailgating so I know how to save for it. For those getting rid of your tickets this year I would think twice about that, the cat griz game alone next year could pay for the cost of your season tickets if you wanted to sell them. For those that are gonna go hunting and fishing more next year, I can assure that will cost you more money than going to the games. I hunt and fish and it isn't a cheap hobby especially bow hunting. For me I don't get it, and yes I have student loans, a car payment, and I have a home mortgage so I know how tight things are.
I'm not getting rid of my tickets, just the tailgate spot. Just to be clear.

I get saving, a dollar here and there, etc...But it's not like nothing else is going up either. I'm paying more and more for everything, not just football. You have to prioritize. If $500 is something you want to pay for, fine. But that's just not something I'm ok with. I just wonder when MSU is actually going to think too much is too much. If they're planning on not raising it the next X number of years, how many years justifies a $500 price tag?

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:29 pm

I think it's crap that they had to require a Bobcat Club membership just to own a tailgate spot for a season.

What happened to the choice to purchase a Bobcat Club membership?!?

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:36 pm

We're all big on by the numbers here....here's some numbers for you....2 years.....500%!!! Bull.

I get that it the club does alot of good but that's a big number, and I'm sorry but just because you can afford $10 per week to save up doesn't mean the next guy can. You're projecting your financial situation on everyone else and it comes across as a bit arrogant to me. You probably don't mean it that way but all the responses that are claiming it's not too bad are projecting their situation on everyone else.

There was no increase this year because they didn't know how the team would perform. Now they know they have Prukop for 2 more years and they're cashing in on him like they cashed in on DM in previous price increases of tickets.

My friends and I will continue to tailgate but this does not sit well with us.

Josh Wanago. 9943741. I plan on letting him know I'm not hppy.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:37 pm

And for a $300 increase they better spray the weeds in the lot. It looks like crap.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Make sure you have some alternative revenue generating ideas for him.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:52 pm

lutecat wrote:And for a $300 increase they better spray the weeds in the lot. It looks like crap.

Better do better than than, they better pave the darn thing and plant trees in it and dig a ditch to have a running river through the middle of it.

(Sorry, bad joke)

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
lutecat wrote:And for a $300 increase they better spray the weeds in the lot. It looks like crap.

Better do better than than, they better pave the darn thing and plant trees in it and dig a ditch to have a running river through the middle of it.

(Sorry, bad joke)
I can't wait for the river!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Heck yeah that better buy us a river.