Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Let's talk tailgate spots...again

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:48 pm

loggy wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:I understand that the Bobcat Club needs to raise money but the prices are getting out of control. I am a season ticket holder. When I told some Griz ticket holders the annual fee I pay to the Bobcat Club for "the right to purchase a season ticket", they couldn't believe it. I was too polite to ask what the Griz charge. Does anybody know what their fees are? What does a comparison look like between the two schools?
Uh, I just called them to get some info because I got curious........they charge a ton of money.

$120
$260
$420

Yeah, that's the most they charge. $420.(insert Missoula hippie joke here)

So on the plus side, if I pay $300 for the Varsity level to get my tailgate pass, I get to go to the hospitality room. So I got that going for me now.

What is the hospitality room and where is it at?
I don't know if there is one for football games, but at the basketball games the Hall of Fame room is open to Bobcat Club members. Free pop & popcorn, wine/beer for sale. Open pre-game and at halftime.
I think it's the 3rd (?) floor in the football stadium.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:39 pm

bobcatmaniac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:It sucks that some are being priced out, but before some go all postal on the Bobcat Club and/or MSU athletics. Do some research on how much their costs have went up. Just a basic search of the football budget is eye opening. Again it really, really, really, sucks, but athletics and the Bobcat Club have to find more revenues somewhere.
I agree they probably do, but don't you find it a little stupid that they chose to spend some of the money on uniforms? When I see what they do for homecoming, cat griz etc, it is almost juvenile. Seriously are they little girls going to a dance? They are footfall players. Pick a uniform and use it. We don't need a flipping fashion show with multiple clothing changes. Save a few hundred grand at least!
Yes sometimes it gets excessive but right now it is a trend in college football. To stay with pace of other schools in regards to recruiting we need to have that extra flare. I’m not saying what department should write the check but a little style goes along way with convincing some of the student-athletes potentially coming from out of state. The Montana kids will come because they are exposed to Cat/griz programs from a young age. But atmosphere sometimes can get that highly recruited player that is on the bubble..

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:47 pm

So let me see if I understand:

We run Oregon's offense

We are trying to have Oregon's fashion show

Is there anything else Oregon does that we should copy?

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:50 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:So let me see if I understand:

We run Oregon's offense

Hey they are doing something right...... At least we are not modeling our program after Wyoming..... :D

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:50 pm

We run Oregon's offense

They have Matt Lubick as an assistant coach. Convince him to come back to Bozeman?

Free money from Nike? More rain, less snow?

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:55 pm

CatBlitz wrote:

We run Oregon's offense

They have Matt Lubick as an assistant coach. Convince him to come back to Bozeman?

Free money from Nike? More rain, less snow?
Uncle Phil writing checks with several zeros?

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:38 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
loggy wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:I understand that the Bobcat Club needs to raise money but the prices are getting out of control. I am a season ticket holder. When I told some Griz ticket holders the annual fee I pay to the Bobcat Club for "the right to purchase a season ticket", they couldn't believe it. I was too polite to ask what the Griz charge. Does anybody know what their fees are? What does a comparison look like between the two schools?
Uh, I just called them to get some info because I got curious........they charge a ton of money.

$120
$260
$420

Yeah, that's the most they charge. $420.(insert Missoula hippie joke here)

So on the plus side, if I pay $300 for the Varsity level to get my tailgate pass, I get to go to the hospitality room. So I got that going for me now.

What is the hospitality room and where is it at?
I don't know if there is one for football games, but at the basketball games the Hall of Fame room is open to Bobcat Club members. Free pop & popcorn, wine/beer for sale. Open pre-game and at halftime.
I think it's the 3rd (?) floor in the football stadium.
Oh. So now I would GET to buy club access to use it? More money.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm

lutecat wrote:I think its story time. Enlighten the rest of us what you're talking about.
The late Don Hammer, long time coach and Bobcat fan in Conrad was a big time supporter. He ran Steer-A-Year as an offshoot to MSU-ASA. Basically ranchers donated a steer to the Ag College. They fed them up and sold the fat cattle, and some of the proceeds went to athletic scholarships.

When Fullerton was AD he decided to bring this in-house, which basically killed the program.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:49 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
lutecat wrote:I think its story time. Enlighten the rest of us what you're talking about.
The late Don Hammer, long time coach and Bobcat fan in Conrad was a big time supporter. He ran Steer-A-Year as an offshoot to MSU-ASA. Basically ranchers donated a steer to the Ag College. They fed them up and sold the fat cattle, and some of the proceeds went to athletic scholarships.

When Fullerton was AD he decided to bring this in-house, which basically killed the program.
Then funding for football fell flat because the cash cow died. Earle the pearl was coach and WaGriz was built.

Now you can see the seething hatred for Fullerton

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:52 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:

Then funding for football fell flat because the cash cow died. Earle the pearl was coach and WaGriz was built.

We also lost most of our grass-roots support from rural Montana, and MSU-ASA basically turned into boosters mainly from Bozeman. They still have the largest chapter, but now we have representation from all over Montana. Kramer was instrumental in bringing this back with his outreach.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:55 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:

We also lost most of our grass-roots support from rural Montana, and MSU-ASA basically turned into boosters mainly from Bozeman. They still have the largest chapter, but now we have representation from all over Montana. Kramer was instrumental in bringing this back with his outreach.
This is fascinating. Thanks for the info!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:56 pm

That was interesting. Thanks for the history lesson. Always cool to learn a little about the programs non sporting past.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:58 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:

Yes, WORST AD EVAHHHHH

How he was chosen to lead the conference is beyond my scope of understanding. He literally couldn't lead a mouse out of a brown paper sack let alone his last two gigs.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
bobcatmaniac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:It sucks that some are being priced out, but before some go all postal on the Bobcat Club and/or MSU athletics. Do some research on how much their costs have went up. Just a basic search of the football budget is eye opening. Again it really, really, really, sucks, but athletics and the Bobcat Club have to find more revenues somewhere.
I agree they probably do, but don't you find it a little stupid that they chose to spend some of the money on uniforms? When I see what they do for homecoming, cat griz etc, it is almost juvenile. Seriously are they little girls going to a dance? They are footfall players. Pick a uniform and use it. We don't need a flipping fashion show with multiple clothing changes. Save a few hundred grand at least!
No, I don't think it's stupid. We have our basic combos and all the alternates including the 1984's are sold off. They will probably make some money from all the 1984 gear.
I'm not a big fan of all the different uniforms either (mostly because I don't believe money has to be spent to motivate), however I do doubt that we are losing money on all the "special event" uniforms, because of selling them off as Hawks says, AND the Under Armour contract making that feasible. If I take myself and my preferences out of the picture I can see where a lot of people really enjoy this as well as more fans (and kids too) being able to have a jersey of their favorite player - all good things for the program.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

ECat79
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ECat79 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:21 am

Maybe this has been said already but hopefully with this change the rules are the same for both the east and west side tailgates.

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:28 am

ECat79 wrote:Maybe this has been said already but hopefully with this change the rules are the same for both the east and west side tailgates.
What is the difference in rules between the west and east side? You don't have to show a ticket anymore to get into the East side lot and there isn't anyone checking what I am bringing in any longer either. I thought both lots were to close after half and I haven't noticed anyone coming around after the game telling us to pack up and leave.

rtb

Post by rtb » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:This is pretty easy; if you don't like it - vote with your wallet. Pissing and moaning on Bobcat Nation won't be as effective.
Agreed!! Also, if you have to pay $500 to tailgate for the entire season that means you are paying just over $80 a game. I'm assuming you tailgate with at least 4 people or you're tailgate party is kind of boring. So, have each friend pitch in 20 a game(or a lot less if you have more than 3 friends) and then the cost of parking within steps of the stadium and tailgating isn't really that bad. I get that the price increase has gone up dramatically in the last few years, but I think that the price was significatnly under market value until just recently.

The best way to address this is voting with your dollars. If MSU is left with a glut of tailgate spots going unfilled next season they will probably re-evaluate the price. My guess is that all the spots will be full and demand will remain high.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:17 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:

An interesting side note: Several of my NoDak buddies commenting on Craig Bohls tenure said he visited every NoDak high school no matter the size. Takes quite a lot of energy but sure built support statewide for the program.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm

by rtb on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:10 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:
This is pretty easy; if you don't like it - vote with your wallet. Pissing and moaning on Bobcat Nation won't be as effective.

Agreed!! Also, if you have to pay $500 to tailgate for the entire season that means you are paying just over $80 a game. I'm assuming you tailgate with at least 4 people or you're tailgate party is kind of boring. So, have each friend pitch in 20 a game(or a lot less if you have more than 3 friends) and then the cost of parking within steps of the stadium and tailgating isn't really that bad. I get that the price increase has gone up dramatically in the last few years, but I think that the price was significatnly under market value until just recently.

The best way to address this is voting with your dollars. If MSU is left with a glut of tailgate spots going unfilled next season they will probably re-evaluate the price. My guess is that all the spots will be full and demand will remain high.
That and a good majority of those with tailgate spots probably are already meeting the $300 minimum Bobcat Donation level anyway, so they won't see that much of a price change (if any).

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Cats15 wrote:
ECat79 wrote:Maybe this has been said already but hopefully with this change the rules are the same for both the east and west side tailgates.
What is the difference in rules between the west and east side? You don't have to show a ticket anymore to get into the East side lot and there isn't anyone checking what I am bringing in any longer either. I thought both lots were to close after half and I haven't noticed anyone coming around after the game telling us to pack up and leave.
Well then you're out of there before they do. We've been told we needed to pack up and leave. And we're talking 4 or 5 people sitting around talking, not partying. I say this as a person that feels like I should be back in the game after halftime, but none of the tailgates on the west are cleared after halftime. Nor the ones across Kagy. Those tailgates are all pretty hopping throughout the entire 2nd half.