TSN poll: EWU 6th, MSU 8th, um 12th

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: TSN poll: EWU 6th, MSU 8th, um 12th

Post by catbooster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 pm

TSN is a media poll. There is a separate coaches' poll (which is more likely voted by AD's or their staff) and the AGS poll, which is fans.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:50 am

TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:How is 5-3 (4-1) Cal Poly unranked after beating now #12 5-3 (3-1) Montana 41-21 in a game that wasn't even that close? :shock:
I don't know how that happens, but I do know that the FCS polls have done things like this for years. There alway seems to be a lag effect every week. The only thing I find solace in is the fact that if the season ended today the selection committee would, in this case, put Cal Poly in the playoffs ahead of UM.

But it is frustrating that people who are supposedly, and accept the task of, following the FCS closely aren't following it as closely as thousands of fans across the country.
It's certainly not just an FCS thing. You frequently see situations like that in the FBS polls too. From one week to the next, teams are only going to rise or fall a certain amount after a win or loss, no matter the margin, and regardless of the strength or weakness of their opponent. That's precisely why some people don't think the polls should begin until a few weeks into the season, because teams' pre-season ranking can really skew their ranking throughout the entire season, even though it's based mostly upon last year's results, and a program's history and tradition.

We also sometimes benefit from this. We were still ranked in the top 25 at the end of last season, even though we clearly weren't one of the top 25 teams in the nation at that time, but we were ranked so high going into the EWU game, that we were only going to fall so far, despite losing our final three games. If we were to lose to CP on Saturday, most likely we'll still be ranked ahead of them too, no matter how badly we lost, and even though we would both have one BSC loss and identical overall records, simply because we were ranked so much higher than them going into the game. That's just the way the polls work, for better or for worse, for both FBS and FCS,

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:17 pm

wapiti wrote:AGS poll has:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33
AGS is garbage anymore. It's all NDSU fans who bag on anyone who isn't in the MVFC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:32 pm

FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33
AGS is garbage anymore. It's all NDSU fans who bag on anyone who isn't in the MVFC.

It was great when I used to vote in it back in the day. It's all Missouri Valley fans now.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:50 pm

I used to vote as well. Can't really stand AGS now.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:32 pm

CelticCat wrote:I used to vote as well. Can't really stand AGS now.
Haven't been there in years. Even CS has taken a dive.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33

It was great when I used to vote in it back in the day. It's all Missouri Valley fans now.
In fairness, the big sky is something like 1-6 against the mvfc right now. SDSU (a mid-level MV team) destroyed cal-poly. South Dakota, winless in MVP play beat NAU and hung right there with the fizz.

Maybe if we don't want NDSU fans to bag on the non-mvfc conferences, we might actually have to win some games...

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:00 am

onceacat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33

In fairness, the big sky is something like 1-6 against the mvfc right now. SDSU (a mid-level MV team) destroyed cal-poly. South Dakota, winless in MVP play beat NAU and hung right there with the fizz.

Maybe if we don't want NDSU fans to bag on the non-mvfc conferences, we might actually have to win some games...
Or actually play them...too easy...continue!

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33

It was great when I used to vote in it back in the day. It's all Valley fans now.

Oooooh, good one! You sure showed us! =D^

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 am

catdaddy7 wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33

It was great when I used to vote in it back in the day. It's all Valley fans now.

Oooooh, good one! You sure showed us! =D^
You should have seen it coming.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:24 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33

UM lost that game. You're not exactly helping our case.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:55 pm

FTG06' wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quo

You're right we should have bought them out because they're good and we were afraid to play them because gosh darnit this year is supposed to be "OUR YEAR"!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:02 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
EWU 7
MSU 10
dUMb 15
CP 24
ISU 32
NAU 33

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quo

You're right we should have bought them out because they're good and we were afraid to play them because gosh darnit this year is supposed to be "OUR YEAR"!
Why would you buy them out knowing they're coming to Misdoula next year? That game will be a money maker. Might even get ESPN game day for that one if NDSU wins another championship.

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:14 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:Why would you buy them out knowing they're coming to Misdoula next year? That game will be a money maker. Might even get ESPN game day for that one if NDSU wins another championship.
They're not very good with money and numbers over there in Missoula. Making decisions based on economics is a foreign concept.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Sotallytober wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:Why would you buy them out knowing they're coming to Misdoula next year? That game will be a money maker. Might even get ESPN game day for that one if NDSU wins another championship.
They're not very good with money and numbers over there in Missoula. Making decisions based on economics is a foreign concept.
That and it's not really an option for them, but they keep pounding their chests about how they didn't buy them out.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:16 pm

If you guys aren't careful, he'll get mad again and tell you how he makes more money than you do. :|

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:03 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:If you guys aren't careful, he'll get mad again and tell you how he makes more money than you do. :|
Being that dumb and making that much money means he fooled somebody into thinking he was smart.

At least he has acting skills.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:26 pm

John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:NAU is 27th, Cal Poly 28th. ISU 45th.
I suppose it's to be expected, given their recent history, but ISU should be way higher than 45th. They're now in the top 25 in the Sagarin ratings, the 2nd highest ranked BSC team, behind only EWU. I know the Sagarins are not always all that accurate, but they surely should be higher than #45. Sagarin has the BSC as 1-EWU, 2-ISU, 3-MSU, 4-UM (after being 2nd all season), 5-CP, 6-NAU.
Reputations kind of hang with you. We know they are not the ISU Bungles anymore but voters on AGS have no clue. The Griz are very average but they are still in the top 10 based on reputation.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.