Cliff Hysell

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Cliff Hysell

Post by GRIZFNZ » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 am

To Cat fans and his family, I'm sorry for your loss.

shill31
New Recruit

Post by shill31 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:46 am

My name is Sean Hill and I played for Coach C-Hys from 91-93. I had a spectacular 2 years playing for the Bobcats gaining All-Big Sky and Kodak All-American honors as well as being his first player as a head coach drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the 7th round of the 1994 NFL draft. I never would have made it to the NFL or accomplished what I have without C-Hys.
I was a knuckle head and doing knuckle head things. C-Hys was the person who stood up and told me not just to grow up but he showed me how to grow up. He took football away from me and he got my undivided attention. I learned a lot from Coach C-Hys about football but more than that I learned how to work as hard and you can, then harder than you think that you can. I learned how to be a man. I will always have fond memories of Coach C-Hys and a lot of lessons that I teach my kids that I coach today, I got them from Coach C-Hys. If anyone has any information about the services you can reach me directly at shill31@yahoo.com or 954-478-1628 or 305-632-7812. Thank you Bobcat Nation!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:56 am

That's awesome Sean. Growing up you were one of my favorite Cats and I love hearing all of the kind words from Hysell's former players. Very cool.

He will be missed.

nomismas
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by nomismas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:05 pm

http://msubobcats.com/news/2014/10/27/G ... 40045.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shill31
New Recruit

Post by shill31 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Thank you for the kind words.

The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!

The words that Coach C-Hys brought to Bozeman in 1991. The words he got the players to believe. The words that I tell my football team today.
The first thing he told us as he addressed the team for the first time, "Things are not right in Bozeman, that's why I am here."
Well I will use those same words today, "Things are not right in Bozemen, Coach C-Hys, because you are not here." I love you and you will be missed!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:43 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

shill31
New Recruit

Post by shill31 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Hysell's memorial is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 31, at 3 pm in Bobcat Stadium's Stadium Club (third floor), with a reception in the evening at Ferraro's Italian Restaurant in Bozeman.

I am going to try my best to be there.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:03 pm

shill31 wrote:Hysell's memorial is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 31, at 3 pm in Bobcat Stadium's Stadium Club (third floor), with a reception in the evening at Ferraro's Italian Restaurant in Bozeman.

I am going to try my best to be there.
Are you still in Miami?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Gus 2
New Recruit

Post by Gus 2 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:05 pm

My prayers go out to Callie and Kristen... That was one tough man... Gods speed coach

msubobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by msubobcat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:35 pm

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:06 pm

Same story as on msubobcats.com

I like the comments from Peter Fields.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Rest In Peace Coach

I was at MSU as a student during the tail end of the Solomonson years and it was awful. Many thanks to Hysell for getting us back on track. We owe a tone of gratitude for all that he has done.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

msusportsinfo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msusportsinfo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:04 pm

Please Note Change in Venue for Hysell Memorial:
Hysell's memorial is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 31, at 3 pm in Ballroom A of the Strand Union Building (SUB).

shill31
New Recruit

Post by shill31 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:26 pm

I am still in Miami, but I will be in Bozeman on Friday. See you then Bobcat Nation!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:41 pm

shill31 wrote:I am still in Miami, but I will be in Bozeman on Friday. See you then Bobcat Nation!
I'm always thrilled when former players come back. congratulations on you success but mostly on the growing up and passing it along.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

randy59
New Recruit

Post by randy59 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 pm

My name is Randy Morrison and I don't normally post to Bobcat Nation but I thought I would add a few comments with Cliff's passing. Cliff Hysell lived life to the fullest and then at the end he epitomized life as he taught it to his players. He worked hard to diminish his personal pain and agony. He would say that working out was the only way he could make it. He finished strong--never complaining (might've expressed a few expletives about his medication and the pain but wanted no sympathy). Amongst other physical issues, his degenerative disease finally took its toll on him. When I had my heart attack in February of 2009 and I was in the Bozeman Deaconess Hospital, Cliff was in the next room having another titanium rod inserted into his spinal column to help improve his posture. Seriously, he bent his previous titanium rod so he needed a new one!. Over the next few years, I saw him work out almost everyday. He was still strong as an ox. He would use his walker to get to the next machine and then lift, pull more weight than you could imagine. My thoughts and prayers go out to Cliff and his two daughters. You think of the resurgence of Bobcat football, you think of Cliff Hysell!! He loved football, he loved Bobcat football, he loved to fish, he loved his daughters, and he had a ton of stories to tell and yes, he loved to have a couple of drinks! Rest in Peace my friend.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:05 pm

randy59 wrote:My name is Randy Morrison and I don't normally post to Bobcat Nation but I thought I would add a few comments with Cliff's passing. Cliff Hysell lived life to the fullest and then at the end he epitomized life as he taught it to his players. He worked hard to diminish his personal pain and agony. He would say that working out was the only way he could make it. He finished strong--never complaining (might've expressed a few expletives about his medication and the pain but wanted no sympathy). Amongst other physical issues, his degenerative disease finally took its toll on him. When I had my heart attack in February of 2009 and I was in the Bozeman Deaconess Hospital, Cliff was in the next room having another titanium rod inserted into his spinal column to help improve his posture. Seriously, he bent his previous titanium rod so he needed a new one!. Over the next few years, I saw him work out almost everyday. He was still strong as an ox. He would use his walker to get to the next machine and then lift, pull more weight than you could imagine. My thoughts and prayers go out to Cliff and his two daughters. You think of the resurgence of Bobcat football, you think of Cliff Hysell!! He loved football, he loved Bobcat football, he loved to fish, he loved his daughters, and he had a ton of stories to tell and yes, he loved to have a couple of drinks! Rest in Peace my friend.

Thank you for this.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Triple C
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Triple C » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:12 pm

4thecats wrote:I will always remember Hysell up in the tower, wearing his long black duster with long cut chew in his cheek and Copenhagen in his lip. -10 below and snowing and blowing. Better not stand below him. He was as tough as they get.
Can't forget the cowboy boots. Did he ever wear anything else on the sidelines?

Stitt: "Griz got 5 best in state. Small Montana class, but quality" Translation? "We didn't want all of the ones we offered"

Jeff Robinson
New Recruit

Post by Jeff Robinson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:52 am

I covered Cliff's teams for five seasons. In the course of my work I spent hundreds of hours around Cliff. There is no one I have respected more in my 30-year journalism career. I will always remember him and am saddened by his passing. I cannot attend the services but my heart and thoughts will be in Bozeman that day. Cliff was a great man and it was my pleasure to get to know him.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 am

shill31 wrote:My name is Sean Hill and I played for Coach C-Hys from 91-93. I had a spectacular 2 years playing for the Bobcats gaining All-Big Sky and Kodak All-American honors as well as being his first player as a head coach drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the 7th round of the 1994 NFL draft. I never would have made it to the NFL or accomplished what I have without C-Hys.
I was a knuckle head and doing knuckle head things. C-Hys was the person who stood up and told me not just to grow up but he showed me how to grow up. He took football away from me and he got my undivided attention. I learned a lot from Coach C-Hys about football but more than that I learned how to work as hard and you can, then harder than you think that you can. I learned how to be a man. I will always have fond memories of Coach C-Hys and a lot of lessons that I teach my kids that I coach today, I got them from Coach C-Hys. If anyone has any information about the services you can reach me directly at shill31@yahoo.com or 954-478-1628 or 305-632-7812. Thank you Bobcat Nation!
We remember you well, Sean. Hope everything is going well for you!
=D^ =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz