Here's to what was a so-so season

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Here's to what was a so-so season

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 pm

cat_stache_fever wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:Officer, you must not have watched our home game where the worst team in the conference kept it close.

And what does that have to do with next week. I would bet you are the type of guy that takes your family to the beach and spends the whole day bitching there is too much sand and its bright. WAAAA
It has to do A LOT with this coming game.

Nope, but I greatly challenge Pollyanna mentality that permeates this board. Hey, I hope to be proved wrong, but I am predicting losses to Cal Poly and AT LEAST one to either ISU or Montana.

Our offense is terrific when it's firing. It did not fire against Weebs. Our defense has proved highly ineffective against the run and the pass. 600/700 yards at a clip given up against the good offenses.

I'm a realist.
I agree CA. It was about this time last year when everything was great and then EWU dick punched us and sent us into downward spiral. Im still not at all sold on this defense, and ALL of Ash's teams have had some sort of last season decline. Hate to be a bummer, but 1-3 the rest of the way wouldn't surprise me at all.
You can't Drink all day if you don't start in the morning...right CSF? #-o

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

cat_stache_fever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by cat_stache_fever » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:21 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:Officer, you must not have watched our home game where the worst team in the conference kept it close.

And what does that have to do with next week. I would bet you are the type of guy that takes your family to the beach and spends the whole day bitching there is too much sand and its bright. WAAAA

Nope, but I greatly challenge Pollyanna mentality that permeates this board. Hey, I hope to be proved wrong, but I am predicting losses to Cal Poly and AT LEAST one to either ISU or Montana.

Our offense is terrific when it's firing. It did not fire against Weebs. Our defense has proved highly ineffective against the run and the pass. 600/700 yards at a clip given up against the good offenses.

I'm a realist.
I agree CA. It was about this time last year when everything was great and then EWU dick punched us and sent us into downward spiral. Im still not at all sold on this defense, and ALL of Ash's teams have had some sort of last season decline. Hate to be a bummer, but 1-3 the rest of the way wouldn't surprise me at all.
Yeah, you're right...I am pretty sh!tfaced right now. SOOO drunk in fact, I believe the Cats will score 60 points a game the rest of the way and the defense will turn into the '85 Bears. This team has ZERO flaws; book your ticket for Frisco!

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:31 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:
utucats wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:There is a difference between being a realist and a negative pessimist You guys a probably a joy to be around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anyone who posts that our defense is awful and we are never gonna win again you can call a negative pessimist, but if you point out that our defense has been torched multiple times and is a weakness that needs to be addressed you are simply paying attention. I know a lot of people who are HUGE Cat fans but get pessimistic because they want the team to win and get extremely worried when they see a weakness. Nothing wrong with that, I only dislike the ones that root against my Cats and don't know any Cat pessimists that don't hope we pull it out in the end.

I was not so much talking about you, it is more about Counter Productive and Stache, every time you come on here its about how we are going to lose. They have been wrong every week in conference.
Thanks Steve, I am 8-0 so far on predicting the game outcomes on Coach Ouert's weekly challenge. Funny I don't see you on there. I don't shovel bull$hit. I rejoice at great things and speak positively about them. I call out negative issues. And, yes, I can be Debbie Downer to the more positively inflected people on this board.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:58 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:
utucats wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:There is a difference between being a realist and a negative pessimist You guys a probably a joy to be around

Anyone who posts that our defense is awful and we are never gonna win again you can call a negative pessimist, but if you point out that our defense has been torched multiple times and is a weakness that needs to be addressed you are simply paying attention. I know a lot of people who are HUGE Cat fans but get pessimistic because they want the team to win and get extremely worried when they see a weakness. Nothing wrong with that, I only dislike the ones that root against my Cats and don't know any Cat pessimists that don't hope we pull it out in the end.

I was not so much talking about you, it is more about Counter Productive and Stache, every time you come on here its about how we are going to lose. They have been wrong every week in conference.
Thanks Steve, I am 8-0 so far on predicting the game outcomes on Coach Ouert's weekly challenge. Funny I don't see you on there. I don't shovel bull$hit. I rejoice at great things and speak positively about them. I call out negative issues. And, yes, I can be Debbie Downer to the more positively inflected people on this board.
I don't see how Coach's challenge is a relevant argument. I'm 7-1 but I'm tied with you for 27th. There are a lot of people 8-0.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:35 am

Mainly that he's not on there. But, I'm on there having predicted 6 wins... Debbie Downer predicting a minimum 8-4 season and 6 wins so far. Hesus Christopholus.

Don't get too comfy up there with me at 27th CatBlitz. I'm going to light you up in the back half of the season. #17 here I come.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:22 am

Counter Assault wrote:Mainly that he's not on there. But, I'm on there having predicted 6 wins... Debbie Downer predicting a minimum 8-4 season and 6 wins so far. Hesus Christopholus.

Don't get too comfy up there with me at 27th CatBlitz. I'm going to light you up in the back half of the season. #17 here I come.
Don't worry, I'll continue my yearly prediction letdown and finish somewhere around 90.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 am

CatBlitz wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:Mainly that he's not on there. But, I'm on there having predicted 6 wins... Debbie Downer predicting a minimum 8-4 season and 6 wins so far. Hesus Christopholus.

Don't worry, I'll continue my yearly prediction letdown and finish somewhere around 90.
that must be the letdown I'm hearing griz fans talk about. I was confused.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:18 am

cat_stache_fever wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

I'm a realist.
Yeah, you're right...I am pretty sh!tfaced right now. SOOO drunk in fact, I believe the Cats will score 60 points a game the rest of the way and the defense will turn into the '85 Bears. This team has ZERO flaws; book your ticket for Frisco!
Are you talking about last year? I think we all know there were several underlying issues that caused that. That is the only late season fade in the Ash era, as has been hashed out and proven on this board time and time again. Feel free to dig back through the threads as a reminder.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am

catatac wrote:That is the only late season fade in the Ash era, as has been hashed out and proven on this board time and time again.
Ya, isn't his record something ridiculous like 800 in November?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 am

the late season "fade" is overblown not because of how many games we lose late in the season...but HOW we have lost those games.

last season we faded. no question. we lose 3 straight and miss the playoffs. that was a collapse that really can't be argued in my opinion.

other seasons we haven't really faded. we've beat the griz a few times and made the playoffs more than we haven't. but we all remember some of those losses which give us the feeling the cats peaked too early. when we hosted ndsu and had the game in control only to piss it away and walked out of the stadium feeling like we just got blown out.

hosting the griz when we're #1 in the nation with ESPN coming to town for the playoff selection show the next day and getting just hammered. they just killed us. again, it felt like we peaked too early.

having sam Houston come to town for a much anticipated night playoff game only to once again get throttled. that game felt like we never had a shot.

these are all games that stand out. had we lost these three games in a close manner in highly competitive games that'd be one thing. in all of my examples above I believe we lost to a better team. but it's the way we lost that is tough to swallow and lasts in our memories. I don't know if one could make a case that we have late season fades. but I think one could easily make the case that we don't play our best football in the biggest games. and going a step farther sometimes we don't even play GOOD football in our biggest games. personally, that's what I would like to see change.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:59 am

ilovethecats wrote:the late season "fade" is overblown not because of how many games we lose late in the season...but HOW we have lost those games.

last season we faded. no question. we lose 3 straight and miss the playoffs. that was a collapse that really can't be argued in my opinion.

other seasons we haven't really faded. we've beat the griz a few times and made the playoffs more than we haven't. but we all remember some of those losses which give us the feeling the cats peaked too early. when we hosted ndsu and had the game in control only to piss it away and walked out of the stadium feeling like we just got blown out.

hosting the griz when we're #1 in the nation with ESPN coming to town for the playoff selection show the next day and getting just hammered. they just killed us. again, it felt like we peaked too early.

having sam Houston come to town for a much anticipated night playoff game only to once again get throttled. that game felt like we never had a shot.

these are all games that stand out. had we lost these three games in a close manner in highly competitive games that'd be one thing. in all of my examples above I believe we lost to a better team. but it's the way we lost that is tough to swallow and lasts in our memories. I don't know if one could make a case that we have late season fades. but I think one could easily make the case that we don't play our best football in the biggest games. and going a step farther sometimes we don't even play GOOD football in our biggest games. personally, that's what I would like to see change.
Sincere question: How do you fix that? Were those losses of recent memory a product of the players, the coaches or a combination of both? I'm certainly not - NOT - pointing fingers, but the games you mentioned all had the same QB at the helm too. A factor? Again, a sincere question to anyone who wants to chime in.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:31 am

KittieKop wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Sincere question: How do you fix that? Were those losses of recent memory a product of the players, the coaches or a combination of both? I'm certainly not - NOT - pointing fingers, but the games you mentioned all had the same QB at the helm too. A factor? Again, a sincere question to anyone who wants to chime in.
I'm not real sure to be honest. I think it's just the next step we need to take if we want to be viewed as a top fcs team. 10 years ago all we wanted was to be in the playoffs. 8 years ago all we wanted was to host a playoff game. I think fans, players and coaches alike were happy to be there. and I'm not trying to downplay the accomplishment. making the playoffs is a great accomplishment. but we need to take the next step.

in my opinion we need some signature wins to build on. at the very least we can't get blown out of these games especially at home. we won't be taken seriously as long as this keeps happening. but we need to win these games. I think that would go a long way. imagine if sam Houston came to town and we beat them and advanced. that can be built on the following season too. instead they waxed us at home and in my opinion that stays with a staff and the players.

as far as how to actually do this I don't know. I'm just a fan and I don't pretend to know the game as well as others. in fact, one could make the statement that "it's clear I never played the game". but I think ash and his staff need to get the players to go into these games expecting to win. so far that part doesn't pass the eye test for me.

this had more to do with the late season fade talk than anything. I do believe it's overblown because other than last year we really don't fade in terms of wins and losses. but when we do lose, it's usually pretty bad which gives the impression that while other teams are getting better late....we seem to play worse late. I don't know to be honest.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:18 pm

After watching the above games I believe the coaching staff needs to hire a sports phycologist, go to clinics or both. IMO these Cat teams were clearly not ready to play. Looks almost like he or someone hurts the teams demeanor prior to big game more than help.

I don't believe you can Phil Jackson young college guys. Sometimes you need to get in their face if they aren't performing.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:00 pm

catatac wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

I'm a realist.
Are you talking about last year? I think we all know there were several underlying issues that caused that. That is the only late season fade in the Ash era, as has been hashed out and proven on this board time and time again. Feel free to dig back through the threads as a reminder.
Yes, it was only last year and we pretty much know the causes of that, but some on here are still disgruntled enough about the previous coach (the pusher) to miss any opportunity to take a shot at one or two of the coaching staff irregardless of number of wins or winning percentage (of coaches who have coached here for 3 full years or more).

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 am

Counter Assault wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:
utucats wrote:

Thanks Steve, I am 8-0 so far on predicting the game outcomes on Coach Ouert's weekly challenge. Funny I don't see you on there. I don't shovel bull$hit. I rejoice at great things and speak positively about them. I call out negative issues. And, yes, I can be Debbie Downer to the more positively inflected people on this board

Your right I am not in on that but you don't have to guess I would be 6 -2 not because I have a false sense of euphoria but I truly believe we have a chance and will win all of the games we have played and will. I know a lot of the boys spend a lot of time around and the thought of losing before the game starts has not ever crossed my mind. We just look at things differently, I am not saying your wrong but I wouldn't want to go around looking for negatives in one of the things in life I truly love, other people are paid to do that.

More than anything though THE CARE BEARS come on man, enjoy your week hope you will be at the game. GO CATS GO !!!! FTG

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:05 am

I'm with Kittie Kop; the Cats are going to get housed this weekend. There's no chance. They are so done for ...

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:14 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:I'm with Kittie Kop; the Cats are going to get housed this weekend. There's no chance. They are so done for ...
=;

:lol:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:20 pm

KittieKop wrote:I like logging in and like reading reading about team and individual match ups. I don't mind reading about why the Cats don't match up well to a certain offense our defense. I don't like Chicken Littles panicking because we've thought A was a great team, and B beat A, so now since we were worried about A we're absolutely screwed because we are playing B next. I don't have a problem saying the last four games are going to be challenging and explaining why, but the ISU is as good as EWU so we should be scared, Poly beat UM so we should be scared is garbage. We shouldn't at this point in this program be SCARED of anyone! Respect or recognize we don't match up with a team is great, but some people are such on the little brother syndrome. The Cats should be favored in their last four games, and I expect them to win all of them. Be a realist, but where does it get you fearing another team and expecting to lose, other than you're never disappointed I guess.
This.....is spoken by a wise man. Wake up and believe people.

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG