'Cats embracing bye with Cal Poly on the horizon

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

'Cats embracing bye with Cal Poly on the horizon

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:18 pm

Montana State is 4-0 in Big Sky play as week off gets underway.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 'Cats embracing bye with Cal Poly on the horizon

Post by Bobcat Steve » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 am

There is more to football than being on the field.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 am

Bobcat Steve wrote:There is more to football than being on the field.
OK, I agree, but what specifically do you mean?

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

JimBob Marshall, a.k.a. Master of the Sieve wrote:“We are an easy target on the defensive end when the offense is putting up so many points,” Marshall said. “It’s about doing your job, not playing hero ball and being assignment-sound. That’s what you saw on Saturday. That’s what has to continue.
:bs:
Give me a break - now you're playing the victim? Makes me sick. MSU's identity has almost ALWAYS been a dominant defense. JimBo's "All About That Base" is KILLING this tradition.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:50 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
JimBob Marshall, a.k.a. Master of the Sieve wrote:“We are an easy target on the defensive end when the offense is putting up so many points,” Marshall said. “It’s about doing your job, not playing hero ball and being assignment-sound. That’s what you saw on Saturday. That’s what has to continue.
Give me a break - now you're playing the victim? Makes me sick. MSU's identity has almost ALWAYS been a dominant defense. JimBo's "All About That Base" is KILLING this tradition.
That was Rob Marshall, not Jamie.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:54 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
:oops: Whoops, sorry Rob. Buuuut, the point is still valid. JM's AATB is killing MSU's defensive identity...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
:oops: Whoops, sorry Rob. Buuuut, the point is still valid. JM's AATB is killing MSU's defensive identity...
I agree but I also agree with rob too. I think he's right. when one unit is doing so well it often makes the other unit look even worse than they really are. and in our case, with a pretty average defense, they end up looking awful. you saw it firsthand this weekend. our offense was average and coach ash and coach mac both attributed the win to the defense. I thought our defense looked just alright. but they looked better than usual and especially so because it was the worst we've seen our offense look.

I still maintain that our defense isn't quite as bad as they've looked so far. but not real great either. :?

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:50 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
I agree but I also agree with rob too. I think he's right. when one unit is doing so well it often makes the other unit look even worse than they really are. and in our case, with a pretty average defense, they end up looking awful. you saw it firsthand this weekend. our offense was average and coach ash and coach mac both attributed the win to the defense. I thought our defense looked just alright. but they looked better than usual and especially so because it was the worst we've seen our offense look.

I still maintain that our defense isn't quite as bad as they've looked so far. but not real great either. :?
However, statically they are not average. In pass yards given up and total yards we are towards the bottom as in bottom of the country. (pass defense number 119 of 121, and # 111 in total defense yards allowed per game). I'm sorry but the "its who we've played" line is also BS when your that bad. If we were middle of the country say 50-60 sure but #111 of 121 that is bad defense no matter how you slice it. If we had an "average" defense which may still happen btw we would be a very very dangerous team but until that happens the defense is well below average.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

However, statically they are not average. In pass yards given up and total yards we are towards the bottom as in bottom of the country. (pass defense number 119 of 121, and # 111 in total defense yards allowed per game). I'm sorry but the "its who we've played" line is also BS when your that bad. If we were middle of the country say 50-60 sure but #111 of 121 that is bad defense no matter how you slice it. If we had an "average" defense which may still happen btw we would be a very very dangerous team but until that happens the defense is well below average.
well I don't think the who we've played line is BS. but I also don't think it's the sole reason that our defensive numbers are so bad. I don't think it has to be one or the other. which is why I maintain that we won't be #119 and #111 in a few weeks. I've been as hard on the defense as anyone, and I agree they need to play much better if we're going to continue to win. but i'll be money we won't be 119 and 111 in the next few weeks.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 pm

I posted this elsewhere, in the common opponents threads: we held UND & UCD to the same points per drive as the griz. We stopped ewoo on half of their possessions. That's not bad.

We also give up huge yards per play. That's to be expected vs shsu & ewoo, but not so much against UCD. I can think of 5 or 6 plays off the top of my head that the d has given up of 50 yards +. Thar is really bad.

This d is all over the map. I would argue that it was great against EWU, UCA, and for a half each against SSU & ARST. It was lights out against UND. But it was awful in the 2nd half against UCA and SSU, and most of the game vs UCD.

I know we gave up lots of points against EWU, but we stopped them on 3rd down 6 of 12 times and had 3 takeaways. That's really good! I'm willing to bet that with nobody else does that (with VA and forte in the lineup).

Point being, is this defense has been all over the map. But the cats are undefeated, and have only been challenged once on the conference schedule. Now, with CPSU, isu, and um to finish out the season, it going to get really interesting.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:44 pm

Well, as much as I would love to keep bashing the defense, they were the difference in the Weber State game. Offense finally struggled a little bit, mainly getting points on the board, but the defense made sure Weber didn't score much either. Going forward though, Cal Poly is the true test. This will prove if we are capable of being a playoff team or not. Time for the defense to step up and play like we know they can. I know they can play better, now is the time.

Punters are people too!!

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 am

Completely off subject but didnt want to start a new thread. Has there been a game time scheduled yet for the idaho state game? Game time on espn is still show TBA..

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 am

NewEra wrote:Completely off subject but didnt want to start a new thread. Has there been a game time scheduled yet for the idaho state game? Game time on espn is still show TBA..
According to msubobcats.com it starts at 1:40. Cat-grizz starts at 3:10.

NewEra
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NewEra » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:11 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
NewEra wrote:Completely off subject but didnt want to start a new thread. Has there been a game time scheduled yet for the idaho state game? Game time on espn is still show TBA..
According to msubobcats.com it starts at 1:40. Cat-grizz starts at 3:10.
Thanks

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:26 am

GoCats18 wrote:Well, as much as I would love to keep bashing the defense, they were the difference in the Weber State game. Offense finally struggled a little bit, mainly getting points on the board, but the defense made sure Weber didn't score much either. Going forward though, Cal Poly is the true test. This will prove if we are capable of being a playoff team or not. Time for the defense to step up and play like we know they can. I know they can play better, now is the time.
I agree.