Idaho State on the rise.

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Idaho State on the rise.

Post by Anacomando » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:57 pm

Don't be surprised if Idaho State makes a push for the Big Sky Championship; granted it's unlikely, but the offense can put up points...could very well be undefeated in conference right now! This is what Kramer does...by next year they will be a perennial threat in the Big Sky!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Idaho State on the rise.

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Anacomando wrote:Don't be surprised if Idaho State makes a push for the Big Sky Championship; granted it's unlikely, but the offense can put up points...could very well be undefeated in conference right now! This is what Kramer does...by next year they will be a perennial threat in the Big Sky!
Idaho State is at Northern Colorado this weekend, gunning for their first road win since 2006. The Bengals play at Portland State, home against Cal Poly, at Montana State and home against Weber. To win the Big Sky title, they are going to have to win out and hope the Griz can beat Eastern Washington in Cheney. It will take at least five and probably six Big Sky wins to make the playoffs, so ISU will have to win UNC, PSU and Weber for sure and split with the 'Cats and Cal Poly.

I think it's a long shot as I don't think any of those games are gimmes. UNC is much improved, PSU is really struggling but has a boat load of talent and as you all saw on Saturday, Weber is pretty darn good despite its record.

The improvements are noticeable though and I agree with your premise, Anacomando. Kramer has it rolling. If he can find a new quarterback to replace Justin Arias, which he will, they will keep it running because RB Xavier Finney is only a sophomore. Stud lineman Skyler Phillips is only a sophomore as well.

ISU is averaging 41.7 points, 569.7 yards including 367.3 passing. They are averaging almost 30 first downs and 85.4 plays per game! Arias has already thrown for 2,845 yards and 25 touchdowns compared to just 5 interceptions. Finney leads the Big Sky with 955 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns. Mario Jenkins, this week's BSC defensive player of the week, has nine tackles for loss and three interceptions to lead the defense.

One thing is certain: Idaho State isn't the Big Sky doormat anymore.

talon38
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by talon38 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Yes, ISU is for real!! NO DOUBT. This game(MSU) or any team who faces them will not be an easy win as Eastern found out. TWICE we had them down by 17 in the game and they just make BIG plays on offense and come back, no quit. They have a great passing QB and a crazy good BYU transfer WR (#7) who is big and strong, he was killing us. They also have a really good RB who leads the BSC in rushing. However, there defense sux. There team is 45% JC and FBS drop downs since recruiting Highschool athletes has been tough the last few years. They also have a damn good D-line, but the LB's and DB's can be had. Cats should win this one, but expect a lot of offense on both sides.

Robert Martin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Robert Martin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:26 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Anacomando wrote:Don't be surprised if Idaho State makes a push for the Big Sky Championship; granted it's unlikely, but the offense can put up points...could very well be undefeated in conference right now! This is what Kramer does...by next year they will be a perennial threat in the Big Sky!
Idaho State is at Northern Colorado this weekend, gunning for their first road win since 2006. The Bengals play at Portland State, home against Cal Poly, at Montana State and home against Weber. To win the Big Sky title, they are going to have to win out and hope the Griz can beat Eastern Washington in Cheney. It will take at least five and probably six Big Sky wins to make the playoffs, so ISU will have to win UNC, PSU and Weber for sure and split with the 'Cats and Cal Poly.

I think it's a long shot as I don't think any of those games are gimmes. UNC is much improved, PSU is really struggling but has a boat load of talent and as you all saw on Saturday, Weber is pretty darn good despite its record.

The improvements are noticeable though and I agree with your premise, Anacomando. Kramer has it rolling. If he can find a new quarterback to replace Justin Arias, which he will, they will keep it running because RB Xavier Finney is only a sophomore. Stud lineman Skyler Phillips is only a sophomore as well.

ISU is averaging 41.7 points, 569.7 yards including 367.3 passing. They are averaging almost 30 first downs and 85.4 plays per game! Arias has already thrown for 2,845 yards and 25 touchdowns compared to just 5 interceptions. Finney leads the Big Sky with 955 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns. Mario Jenkins, this week's BSC defensive player of the week, has nine tackles for loss and three interceptions to lead the defense.

One thing is certain: Idaho State isn't the Big Sky doormat anymore.
Because of scheduling, 2 FBS, and 2 non-D1 schools, ISU has to win the remaining games to get to 7 D1 wins, and get in the playoffs.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm

talon38 wrote:Yes, ISU is for real!! NO DOUBT. This game(MSU) or any team who faces them will not be an easy win as Eastern found out. TWICE we had them down by 17 in the game and they just make BIG plays on offense and come back, no quit. They have a great passing QB and a crazy good BYU transfer WR (#7) who is big and strong, he was killing us. They also have a really good RB who leads the BSC in rushing. However, there defense sux. There team is 45% JC and FBS drop downs since recruiting Highschool athletes has been tough the last few years. They also have a damn good D-line, but the LB's and DB's can be had. Cats should win this one, but expect a lot of offense on both sides.
Talon, if I were you, I'd go back and retake English 101.

Also, study the differences between, "there", "their" and "they're".

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

rippinandtearin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rippinandtearin » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:20 pm

It's really dandy to see ISU worth a damn again. Always beneficial to have a charter member of the conference and relatively geographically near rival be competitive again. Only adds to the conference and makes our games with them relevant once more.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote: Idaho State is at Northern Colorado this weekend, gunning for their first road win since 2006.
that is a remarkable stat.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:46 pm

Why is this on the Bobcat football board?

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:Why is this on the Bobcat football board?
because bobcat fans want to talk about it? because their head coach used to be a bobcat coach? because a member of their staff is a bobcat all american? because they're in our conference? because we play them soon? :shrug:
Last edited by ilovethecats on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:15 pm

I'll believe the ISU hype when they DO actually produce something - like a road win. People have been hyping Sac State every year they've been in the conference that "this might be their year" too, and we all know how that works out. I'm skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 pm

rippinandtearin wrote:It's really dandy to see ISU worth a damn again. Always beneficial to have a charter member of the conference and relatively geographically near rival be competitive again. Only adds to the conference and makes our games with them relevant once more.
Good post - I agree completely. I think 2003 was the last time they were relevant in the Big Sky, so it's been a long time coming for them.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

SkyRider
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SkyRider » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:31 pm

KittieKop wrote:I'll believe the ISU hype when they DO actually produce something - like a road win.
Done.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:16 pm

SkyRider wrote:
KittieKop wrote:I'll believe the ISU hype when they DO actually produce something - like a road win.
Done.
And in a big way!! 46-12 over the team (UNCU) that beat the team (NAU) that just beat the #2 team in the nation (EWU) today. I think the BSC is going to be very interesting the rest of the season, with teams beating up on each other. Not necessarily many great teams in the league this year, but lots of parity. It turns out that EWU isn't unbeatable after all, at least until VA comes back, and the bottom dwellers from last season all seem to be improved this year.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:47 pm

And with 348 yards rushing.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN