Spinning Bobcat

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Spinning Bobcat

Post by 4thecats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:Replays would be great. Being able to hear the announcer in the SEZ would be even better. Our sound system sucks bad. A couple remote speakers would be a cheap and effective way of heightening an already good gameday experience. Please don't tell me its fine up there until you watch a game from my seats. It's not.
I don't think they need to add speakers. I sit in the sez too. I agree, hard to hear but I think it is more the case of noise shed politeness than anything. I remember the very 1st game with the new endzone. System was booming. Then the noise shed in the paper came. What do you know. Can't hear anymore. V sounds an aweful lot like canon shed. I sure am tired of MSU being so damn sensitive to every complaining person their is in this world. Just like no replays to hurt feelings.

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:03 pm

@Ftg'06...when the Griz first installed our large screen, much of the camera work was done by students. not sure if that is still the case, but no doubt it provided valuable experience

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:27 am

grizband wrote:@Ftg'06...when the Griz first installed our large screen, much of the camera work was done by students. not sure if that is still the case, but no doubt it provided valuable experience
It's a great use of creativity that already exists, it helps the university expand its media program, and a core of students has the chance to build their resumes. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:01 am

Does anyone recall the exact amount that was spent on our video board? I would also like to add that I am not saying the donation given wasn't generous, I am just saying that I don't think the University should have just ran out and said, oh we have this much $$$$ to spend, lets buy this one. They should have said, we were given this much money, if we can double or triple what was given, we can buy a scoreboard and video screen that will last for years to come. Our scoreboard itself is very nice, the video screen is a joke. There are black lines on it, the quality from the end zone is poor, the ads on the side need to go, the Bobcat head gets old to look at, the graphics are pretty outdated, and the sound quality is not that great. Honestly though, I go to the games to watch the Cats win. I understand that we will probably not see a whole lot done to our stadium for several years and that is the way it will always be. It could be better, but it works. Oh well, just win the game is all I care about anymore.

Punters are people too!!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:15 pm

I can understand where MSU might want to promote good sportsmanship by limiting replays, especially controversial ones, but do not agree with sugar coating the refereeing at the expense of the Bobcat faithful ticket holders or those advertising on the board. To me, this policy ignores the truth as it happens on the field whether it be whether we like it or not, whether we call it "good" or "bad". If the ref's can't handle being booed and living up to the consequences of their decisions the perhaps they should give up game calling all together. There should be zero tolerance though for anyone throwing something on the the playing surface and I would support coming down on them as hard as statute would allow. There was a time (I'm thinking as late as 2008-2009) when we showed the replay of most every play so I got into the habit of looking at the scoreboard after every play if I wanted another peek at something. I have gotten out of that habit now and can tell you that I seldom look to the scoreboard any more other than player introductions and a few of the sponsored cam events, so if there are others like me out there I would guess the advertisers on that board are getting a lot less hits on their name than they could be getting, the refs are being shielded from verbal feedback, and we as fans are being denied what most venues in the country still provide as part of game day.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:42 pm

codecat wrote:I can understand where MSU might want to promote good sportsmanship by limiting replays, especially controversial ones, but do not agree with sugar coating the refereeing at the expense of the Bobcat faithful ticket holders or those advertising on the board. To me, this policy ignores the truth as it happens on the field whether it be whether we like it or not, whether we call it "good" or "bad". If the ref's can't handle being booed and living up to the consequences of their decisions the perhaps they should give up game calling all together. There should be zero tolerance though for anyone throwing something on the the playing surface and I would support coming down on them as hard as statute would allow. There was a time (I'm thinking as late as 2008-2009) when we showed the replay of most every play so I got into the habit of looking at the scoreboard after every play if I wanted another peek at something. I have gotten out of that habit now and can tell you that I seldom look to the scoreboard any more other than player introductions and a few of the sponsored cam events, so if there are others like me out there I would guess the advertisers on that board are getting a lot less hits on their name than they could be getting, the refs are being shielded from verbal feedback, and we as fans are being denied what most venues in the country still provide as part of game day.
Plus, would replays really generate much, if any, more booing anyway? The crowd reacts in a pretty hostile manner to any questionable call, and I'm not sure it would be that much worse if/when they showed a replay. And in some instances, it might actually mitigate the initial negative reaction, if the replay showed that the call was correct after all. I too remember when they still showed replays of almost every play. Actually, I think it was even more recent that 2008-09. I'm thinking the reduction in the number of replays shown coincided very closely with the advent of the new scoreboard in 2011, which is really sort of ironic.

5yearfreshman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 5yearfreshman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 pm

So now that we have beat it to Death again...... and I see that 95% of the postings are for some kind of change. How and Who needs to be contacted? IF enough people contact the right person maybe some change could be accomplished. The best post to me were the ones that suggested that it could be used with the Film and TV Department :idea: ........ . What a great training tool . Anybody know the How and Who :?:

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:01 pm

5yearfreshman wrote:So now that we have beat it to Death again...... and I see that 95% of the postings are for some kind of change. How and Who needs to be contacted? IF enough people contact the right person maybe some change could be accomplished. The best post to me were the ones that suggested that it could be used with the Film and TV Department :idea: ........ . What a great training tool . Anybody know the How and Who :?:
Here's the director of the film school's page from the university:

http://sfp.montana.edu/docs/facultypages/daig.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:56 am

John K wrote:
codecat wrote:I can understand where MSU might want to promote good sportsmanship by limiting replays, especially controversial ones, but do not agree with sugar coating the refereeing at the expense of the Bobcat faithful ticket holders or those advertising on the board. To me, this policy ignores the truth as it happens on the field whether it be whether we like it or not, whether we call it "good" or "bad". If the ref's can't handle being booed and living up to the consequences of their decisions the perhaps they should give up game calling all together. There should be zero tolerance though for anyone throwing something on the the playing surface and I would support coming down on them as hard as statute would allow. There was a time (I'm thinking as late as 2008-2009) when we showed the replay of most every play so I got into the habit of looking at the scoreboard after every play if I wanted another peek at something. I have gotten out of that habit now and can tell you that I seldom look to the scoreboard any more other than player introductions and a few of the sponsored cam events, so if there are others like me out there I would guess the advertisers on that board are getting a lot less hits on their name than they could be getting, the refs are being shielded from verbal feedback, and we as fans are being denied what most venues in the country still provide as part of game day.
Plus, would replays really generate much, if any, more booing anyway? The crowd reacts in a pretty hostile manner to any questionable call, and I'm not sure it would be that much worse if/when they showed a replay. And in some instances, it might actually mitigate the initial negative reaction, if the replay showed that the call was correct after all. I too remember when they still showed replays of almost every play. Actually, I think it was even more recent that 2008-09. I'm thinking the reduction in the number of replays shown coincided very closely with the advent of the new scoreboard in 2011, which is really sort of ironic.
I agree with you about it being questionable if they would generate much more booing. I think that persons throwing things on the field is another issue and has more to do with internal personal problems it that cannot be controlled and can exist whether sober or drunk. I do however remember them slowing down the replays on the old scoreboard and even wondered if it was because of having difficulties getting different technologies in sync so it could be 2010 that I'm remembering.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!