Spinning Bobcat

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spinning Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 am

Just a guess on some extensive research. They will end up doing phases. While they are doing that, so are we.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 am

The Griz will have their remodel done before EWU even breaks ground and theirs has been out since what 2009-2010? Our renderings just came out this year.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks Denny!

Punters are people too!!

msubobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by msubobcat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 am

The most frustrating thing about it is we have a scoreboard capable of showing replays however we choose not to.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:49 pm

KittieKop wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:I want something better because the better your stadium and facilities are, along with how good your team is, the better your recruiting will be. EWU is about to start remodeling their stadium, and it will only help them. The time needs to come soon that the East bleacher go away and something new is put up, and a new screen needs to be put in. That is what you do if you want to be the best.
Maybe if you cry and stomp your feet a little harder daddy will give you what you want.

I didn't see anyone else standing in line with $1 million when it came scoreboard time.

While you're at it, figure out a way to retire the debt from the 1998 remodel, plus the debt from the 2010 remodel. Maybe pass a coffee can at the game.

And EWU? Yeah, they've been shopping that remodel since - I believe - 2010 and haven't started jack. Remember MSU's long range remodel plan from about 2008?

I don't think he is crying and stomping his feet. Nor do I think anyone is taking away the generous gift that was given to the Bobcat football program. I think the argument is MSU. Dropped the ball when spending the generous donations. No matter how clear of a screen you have, it does not matter if it is too small to see. That's why they should have gone bigger with a little less quality and spent the same amount of money. Because you really can't see anything from the endzone section.

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:25 pm

I for one would love to see a Decibel Meter on the screen on 3rd downs by the opposing team. Real time so the crowd can see how loud we get.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 pm

5yearfreshman wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:I know it's been beat to death before on here, but It Pi$$es me off that we have a nice big scoreboard and 75% of the time we get to see the CAT Logo spinning around. I know it would be a real bad thing to show anything controversial and have the crowd get rowdy but could we at least get the advertisement on the very bottom of the screen removed or made smaller so you could see the full screen when they do show a replay. Going to be a long 12 days before the next game so might as well beat this to death again......................
I saw several replays on the screen, so it's not like they never use it for that. From MSU's perspective, I can see why they don't always show replays of controversial plays. They are quite rightly trying to promote an atmosphere of good sportsmanship and respect for the opponents and officials - just look at the video that gets played prior to every game. Replaying controversial calls that MSU fans will always biasedly think went against us at first glance doesn't do much in accomplishing that. It's better for the team to move on from a bad call and focus on the next play - I'd say it's better for the fans to do that as well and watch the replay when you get home if you would like to do so.

Also if you want the size of the ads to be reduced, prepare for an increase in ticket prices as MSU finds a way to make up for their lost advertising revenue!
Several replays....wow didn't they do great. What about several more? So Next year when they start using instant replay to change calls on the field Bobcat fans get to go home and watch the 10:00 news to see it......If booing the refs for making a bad call is bad Sportsmanship then we should stop making noise when our defense is on the field so their team can hear the quarterback, that would be good sportsmanship.......and if I have to pay another $50 dollars a ticket each year so we could use a scoreboard for the intended propose..... sign me up.
Well, I wasn't looking up to the screen for a replay after every single play...but they do show replays quite often. Making noise when the defense is on the field isn't bad sportsmanship, that's home field advantage. Bad sportsmanship is verbally abusing opposing players or referees - like I said, MSU is rightly trying to eliminate this kind of behavior. With the amount of alcohol that fans consume at these games and the emotion we all feel about wanting the Bobcats to do well, once you give the crowd a reason to get angry it can turn ugly quick. What kind of behavior do we as a fan base want the young children in the crowd to see the adult fans engaging in?

Overall I think the scoreboard is certainly showing some signs of wear and tear, but is pretty damn awesome compared to what we had, which had a screen that was darn near smaller than what a lot of us have in our living rooms now but was state of the art stuff back in about 1995 when it was installed!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:46 pm

MSU01 wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:I know it's been beat to death before on here, but It Pi$$es me off that we have a nice big scoreboard and 75% of the time we get to see the CAT Logo spinning around. I know it would be a real bad thing to show anything controversial and have the crowd get rowdy but could we at least get the advertisement on the very bottom of the screen removed or made smaller so you could see the full screen when they do show a replay. Going to be a long 12 days before the next game so might as well beat this to death again......................
I saw several replays on the screen, so it's not like they never use it for that. From MSU's perspective, I can see why they don't always show replays of controversial plays. They are quite rightly trying to promote an atmosphere of good sportsmanship and respect for the opponents and officials - just look at the video that gets played prior to every game. Replaying controversial calls that MSU fans will always biasedly think went against us at first glance doesn't do much in accomplishing that. It's better for the team to move on from a bad call and focus on the next play - I'd say it's better for the fans to do that as well and watch the replay when you get home if you would like to do so.

Also if you want the size of the ads to be reduced, prepare for an increase in ticket prices as MSU finds a way to make up for their lost advertising revenue!
Several replays....wow didn't they do great. What about several more? So Next year when they start using instant replay to change calls on the field Bobcat fans get to go home and watch the 10:00 news to see it......If booing the refs for making a bad call is bad Sportsmanship then we should stop making noise when our defense is on the field so their team can hear the quarterback, that would be good sportsmanship.......and if I have to pay another $50 dollars a ticket each year so we could use a scoreboard for the intended propose..... sign me up.
Well, I wasn't looking up to the screen for a replay after every single play...but they do show replays quite often. Making noise when the defense is on the field isn't bad sportsmanship, that's home field advantage. Bad sportsmanship is verbally abusing opposing players or referees - like I said, MSU is rightly trying to eliminate this kind of behavior. With the amount of alcohol that fans consume at these games and the emotion we all feel about wanting the Bobcats to do well, once you give the crowd a reason to get angry it can turn ugly quick. What kind of behavior do we as a fan base want the young children in the crowd to see the adult fans engaging in?

Overall I think the scoreboard is certainly showing some signs of wear and tear, but is pretty damn awesome compared to what we had, which had a screen that was darn near smaller than what a lot of us have in our living rooms now but was state of the art stuff back in about 1995 when it was installed!
I understand the rationale behind wanting to encourage sportsmanship by not showing replays of controversial calls, but if most other college venues are showing those plays, then why shouldn't we? And it seems like not even very many replays of non controversial plays are being shown anymore...fewer than in previous seasons it seems like. I would much rather have more replays, versus Kiss Cams, Mustache Cams, Rock Band Cams, et al. I know that all of those generate revenue because they're sponsored by various organizations, but why couldn't they just sponsor the replays instead...at least some of them? Before and/or after the replay, they could have a quick audio and/or video blurb..."here's your Company X replay" or something like that. I have no complaints about the quality or size of the screen, but I would like to see it utilized in way that would contribute more to the game day experience. It seems like most other schools do that, so I don't know why we can't/don't.

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:30 pm

I love our scoreboard, but totally agree as to why spend the money on a hi-def screen if they aren't going to use it for anything more than the pre-season movie night. I don't even mind the ads, but every game is televised therefore every play should be replayed (even a stuffed run up the gut and incomplete pass) and it would be awesome to see live video on every play too.

If they aren't going to do that, then do some imaginative things with the video capabilities like a really cool Mustache cam... and Kiss cam... and Rock Band cam... and Muscle cam... and Non Imagination cam....

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:43 pm

I can only think of positive plays for the opponent shown on the screen. And it shows its wear and tear more when the spinning Cat is up and less on the replays in my mind. It is very frustrating to me that their are always ads up when those could be put on the side and not on the screen itself. It really does seem like a waste because it is soooo under utilized.

Platinumcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Platinumcat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:45 pm

I also like the scoreboard. But, the lack of replays shown has become a real source of irritation to the group that I sit with at the games.
I like the ideas of showing plays live and then a replay. The kickoff return for a td that was called back for a hold is a play that I would have liked to see the replay on. It's not always to challenge the call in the field. Many times I missed an aspect of the play because I was focused on something different.
Not being willing to utilize a great tool, such as our scoreboard, to its full ability is what will continue to frustrate people.
Finally, does anyone know who the proper person is to contact regarding this within the sports department?

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

5yearfreshman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 5yearfreshman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:51 pm

MSU01 wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I'm sure glad MSU is going to change the culture of Football....no more booing the ref's when they make terrible calls. No more alcohol because Bobcat fans will get angry and ugly... You must be at a different game than me, I have mostly happy drunks around me and maybe even including me :D (according to my wife). Do I want to bring my grand-kids to a game in a few years and let them enjoy Bobcat Football, you bet.....they won't be hearing anything any worse than whats on TV and the Movies. Please Tell me how you would stop 20,000 Bobcat fans from booing a bad call, like when a running back is on the ground and he gets back up and runs in for a TD ( I guess it was only 19,999 because you didn't boo)
I always look to the scoreboard to see if they will show the replay....and yes I get to see the Spinning Bobcat more than replays ....a lot more

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm

I agree, as a visitor to your fine stadium several times I always wonder why no replays?

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:58 pm

That would be an excellent internship for someone in the media/film area of study at MSU.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:20 pm

FTG06' wrote:That would be an excellent internship for someone in the media/film area of study at MSU.........

It would seem to me that many educational opportunities are not taken advantage of. I would think sports photography would be a class. What ever happened to the drone we saw pictures of?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:34 pm

allcat wrote:
FTG06' wrote:That would be an excellent internship for someone in the media/film area of study at MSU.........

It would seem to me that many educational opportunities are not taken advantage of. I would think sports photography would be a class. What ever happened to the drone we saw pictures of?
Liberal influence probably took over and shifted the focus to the "native tribes" of Ekalaka.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:47 pm

5yearfreshman wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

I'm sure glad MSU is going to change the culture of Football....no more booing the ref's when they make terrible calls. No more alcohol because Bobcat fans will get angry and ugly... You must be at a different game than me, I have mostly happy drunks around me and maybe even including me :D (according to my wife). Do I want to bring my grand-kids to a game in a few years and let them enjoy Bobcat Football, you bet.....they won't be hearing anything any worse than whats on TV and the Movies. Please Tell me how you would stop 20,000 Bobcat fans from booing a bad call, like when a running back is on the ground and he gets back up and runs in for a TD ( I guess it was only 19,999 because you didn't boo)
I always look to the scoreboard to see if they will show the replay....and yes I get to see the Spinning Bobcat more than replays ....a lot more
MSU isn't going to change the culture of football because the current culture is a whole lot of fun, but they should at least be doing what they can to promote as positive and family-friendly an atmosphere at athletic events as they can. Whether showing replays or not has any effect on the atmosphere at games I really don't know, so perhaps we've progressed far beyond the original point of the thread. Maybe I'm being a bit too Helen Lovejoy here (won't somebody think of the children!!!) but since moving to end zone seats when the new expansion was built I've had a lot more kids around me at games and have certainly tried to be conscious of that in my behavior.

I boo the refs when I think they've made a bad call, but I don't really care if a replay isn't shown because the game moves on to the next play and hopefully so does the team on the field. I also like to enjoy a few beers although I generally do so after the game instead of before/during unless it is a night game, so I have zero interest in removing alcohol from games. Perhaps I am at a different game from you, because some of the people who sit around me are definitely not happy drunks and love to pour forth the vitriol on anyone (visiting players, referees, even Bobcat players and especially those incompetent Bobcat coaches) at the first sign of anything going wrong. There's nothing productive or useful about that type of stuff.

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 pm

John K wrote:
I understand the rationale behind wanting to encourage sportsmanship by not showing replays of controversial calls, but if most other college venues are showing those plays, then why shouldn't we? And it seems like not even very many replays of non controversial plays are being shown anymore...fewer than in previous seasons it seems like. I would much rather have more replays, versus Kiss Cams, Mustache Cams, Rock Band Cams, et al. I know that all of those generate revenue because they're sponsored by various organizations, but why couldn't they just sponsor the replays instead...at least some of them? Before and/or after the replay, they could have a quick audio and/or video blurb..."here's your Company X replay" or something like that. I have no complaints about the quality or size of the screen, but I would like to see it utilized in way that would contribute more to the game day experience. It seems like most other schools do that, so I don't know why we can't/don't.
That's a pretty good idea about selling the sponsorship for the replay, I suspect they could sell that for a pretty large chunk of change. Maybe that would be enough motivation for them to show all the replays? Someone here with a large ad budget and a desire to advertise on gameday should hit up Bobcat Sports Properties with a proposal to do so.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Replays would be great. Being able to hear the announcer in the SEZ would be even better. Our sound system sucks bad. A couple remote speakers would be a cheap and effective way of heightening an already good gameday experience. Please don't tell me its fine up there until you watch a game from my seats. It's not.

4thecats

Post by 4thecats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:I for one would love to see a Decibel Meter on the screen on 3rd downs by the opposing team. Real time so the crowd can see how loud we get.

Awesome idea. It has been discussed in the passed, unfortunately we ended up with the one we have. It is a start, but it would be great to have it put upan actual crowd noise reading. I actually liked how the announcer did it on second down.