2nd Half Slump

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

2nd Half Slump

Post by 4thecats » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:55 pm

Well it has been mentioned by griz fans recently, and to be fair they have a valid point. The Cats have had a tendency to have a 2bd half of the season slump. So is the close game to a winless Weber team a sign of the dreaded 2nd half slump? Are teams going to figure out how to stop the Bobcats offense by slowing down the success of Prukop?

Robert Martin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: 2nd Half Slump

Post by Robert Martin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:03 pm

4thecats wrote:Well it has been mentioned by griz fans recently, and to be fair they have a valid point. The Cats have had a tendency to have a 2bd half of the season slump. So is the close game to a winless Weber team a sign of the dreaded 2nd half slump? Are teams going to figure out how to stop the Bobcats offense by slowing down the success of Prukop?
I mentioned this on a different forum at the beginning of the year. The Griz will be happy they do not get to play Weber State, though winless in the conference, they are far from a bad team. Just look at the box score, and watching the game between them and NDSU shows it. If I recall correctly, Weber ran a fake field goal, that should have been a TD. At that point the game changes.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400553551

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Weber State would beat UC Davis.

Punters are people too!!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:47 am

4thecats wrote:Well it has been mentioned by griz fans recently, and to be fair they have a valid point. The Cats have had a tendency to have a 2bd half of the season slump. So is the close game to a winless Weber team a sign of the dreaded 2nd half slump? Are teams going to figure out how to stop the Bobcats offense by slowing down the success of Prukop?
It is not going to happen this year (even though the schedule is pretty tough to end the season). We have had some injuries and had guys step up this year which is great. I think teams will use Weber's defensive style against us the rest of the way, but they better have some speed back there like Weber did at the LB and safeties. Weber sold out on the spy on Prukop but it cost them in the run game. We should have had about 17 - 20 more points (shot ourselves in foot with some overthrows/penalties/missed FG's/fake punts) or the score would have been more like 43-13 or so. Hats off to Weber though. They are very close to being a tough team (along with UND).

The Cats have VERY good chemistry this year. It is now a 4 game season to end the year ..... 0-0. Cal Poly is up next and the Bobcat team should have their full attention. I am glad we get a week to heal up but also practice against Cal Poly's offense (we have the speed players to practice that). The OL needs to carry this team on their back to end the season because when they play well, our O plays lights out.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 am

Yes, they like to bring it up, but is it true? They also like to use just November. Last year was definitely a slump. Are quarterfinal loses considered a slump?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:38 am

No, the Cats don't have a tendency to have a 2nd half slump. That is just typical anti Cat propaganda by some Griz fans. We absolutely did have a late season melt down last year, I'll concede that. But look at the past few years. Big Sky Conference champs or co champs, first round byes, playoff victories. What have the Griz done lately? How long has it bee since they've even shared the Big Sky title, let alone gone "deep" in the playoffs?

Weber has a pretty good team, and they played hard. It's great to know that the Cats can have an off day offensively, make some pretty bad mistakes, and still come away with a comfortable win.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:08 am

Records for the 2nd half (last 5 games in 11 game seasons and last 6 in 12 game season) of the season since 2010:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3

Outside of last year, I wouldn't say we've had a collapse, but we have had issues scoring points in the latter half of seasons. I remember for a few years there, we couldn't score more than 16 points in November and on.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:15 am

Even if you give um credit for wins in the games they vacated in 2011, we still have the same record in the second half of the regular season as um over the past four seasons at 15-6 to 15-6. Last year we went 3-3 over the last half. Other than that we're 12-3.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:33 am

CelticCat wrote:Records for the 2nd half (last 5 games in 11 game seasons and last 6 in 12 game season) of the season since 2010:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3

Outside of last year, I wouldn't say we've had a collapse, but we have had issues scoring points in the latter half of seasons. I remember for a few years there, we couldn't score more than 16 points in November and on.

Good point on the records. Bit for some reason I feel our offense slumps in November because teams have figured us out. Or. Our awesome defense starts to get run on like crazy in November. We may still be winning, but it has definitely been a trend to struggle in certain areas late in the season. Is this because we have been out coached and teams figure out our tendencies and we fail to adjust?

Brad_CAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Brad_CAT » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:49 am

Not every game can be a 40 point victory in the Big Sky Conference. Every year the Cats, Griz, and Eagles squeak out victories, but that's what the good teams do. Take the victory and move on. Playing Weber was a dangerous game. They had nothing to lose. Why not fake a couple punts and give your team some confidence. Plus Weber is way better than their record - very fast on D. Cramsey will need to continue to evolve this offense. I wish the Cats would have stretched Weber a little more down the field as they continued to creep up but for some reason I just didn't feel like the Cats were going to lose this game. I think Cramsey felt the same way and kept the play calls very vanilla. Less on film for the opposing teams as we go down the stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 am

catatac wrote:
No, the Cats don't have a tendency to have a 2nd half slump. That is just typical anti Cat propaganda by some Griz fans. We absolutely did have a late season melt down last year, I'll concede that. But look at the past few years. Big Sky Conference champs or co champs, first round byes, playoff victories. What have the Griz done lately? How long has it bee since they've even shared the Big Sky title, let alone gone "deep" in the playoffs?

Weber has a pretty good team, and they played hard. It's great to know that the Cats can have an off day offensively, make some pretty bad mistakes, and still come away with a comfortable win.
Well, In 2011 they went to the semi-finals. Yes, I count that no matter what the "official" records show. Despite having pretty good records in the 2nd half of the season except for last year, the offense tailed off towards the end of the season every year from 2010-2013. In each of those seasons, early on the offense was very prolific (although not as spectacular as it's been this year) but then struggled to score points late in the season, even against average teams. I don't know if it's because teams figured us out, or if it was weather related, or whatever, but it's definitely been a pattern the last few years.

That being said, I'm not ready to push the panic button just because the offense struggled a little against WSU. But 3 of our final 4 regular season games are against legitimate BSC title contenders, so the offense is going to have to do better than they did Saturday, if we want to do more than just split our remaining games. Just as playing better for one game against WSU isn't necessarily an indication that everything is fixed on defense, the offense being held down for one game doesn't necessarily mean that the wheels are starting to fall off on that side of the ball.