The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KalCat76
BobcatNation Letterman

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Post by KalCat76 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:38 pm

The good definitely was the play of the DL and the defense improvement overall. Coe's best game ever as a Bobcat. Singleton and Sheridan both played their usual solid game. If the Defense Keeps improving they could be in good shape by Cat/griz.

The bad has to be our pass defense. Still sucks. Only good thing is the Fizz pass defense yesterday was just as bad.

The ugly would be the punt coverage. Once is acceptable, twice was ugly.

KeepTheChange
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly

Post by KeepTheChange » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:14 pm

What do the griz have to do with the game this week?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:49 am

good/bad/ugly.. blah blah blah, we won, defense looked better, special teams, Coe, Newell, etc etc etc.

Favorite play of the Game:
When the weber defender completely form tackled Herbert like 2 seconds before the ball even got there on a pass play. Every ref on the field through a flag, as it was the MOST blatent Pass Interference call anyone has ever seen.... and the defender immidiately jumps up, sticks his hands up toward the ref and (I'm assuming) was yelling "What did I do?!?" "What did I do?!?!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone in our section got a pretty good laugh out of that one.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:06 am

mslacatfan wrote:Every ref on the field through a flag
Thanks for reminding me! The back judge threw his flag further than the ball!

My favorite play was the sack at the end, with Coe rolling to grab it and then holding the ball in the air.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 am

mslacatfan wrote:good/bad/ugly.. blah blah blah, we won, defense looked better, special teams, Coe, Newell, etc etc etc.

Favorite play of the Game:
When the weber defender completely form tackled Herbert like 2 seconds before the ball even got there on a pass play. Every ref on the field through a flag, as it was the MOST blatent Pass Interference call anyone has ever seen.... and the defender immidiately jumps up, sticks his hands up toward the ref and (I'm assuming) was yelling "What did I do?!?" "What did I do?!?!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone in our section got a pretty good laugh out of that one.
:lol: The fact that he did the "what did I do???" shoulder thing makes that a SportsCenter highlight IMO. :lol: It's nice having some comic relief every once in a while out there.

DicTater
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by DicTater » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 am

The good was the W. I'm not concerned about the offense, everybody's going to have an off day. Prukop seemed to get frustrated because Weber wouldn't allow him to get outside.

I do have a couple of concerns moving forward. These aren't complaints, but more along the things that need to be addressed.
First, our middle linebacker got 0 tackles. I don't think I've ever seen a game where the middle linebacker got 0 tackles. although Ash said prior too the game that Rhett Young would play more, he really didn't. Next up is the option game of Cal Poly. We can't beat Cal Poly with a 10 man defense. Against that offense, everyone needs to be able to run and to tackle.

Second is the pass defense. Although the D line got some pressure, once again, the Cats allowed a career passing game against them. In the 4th quarter, weber went solely to a 4 wr alignment. Weber had no rushes in the 4th. With 4 wrs, Cats attempted to cover the slots, including #1, their most elusive guy, with linebackers. Yet, MSU never adjusted. They did not go to a nickel the entire 4th quarter. Not only that, but they kept the MLB who didn't have a tackle, in the game and had him try to cover slot receivers. It is baffling to me why the defensive coaches are so stubborn. Looking ahead, the Cats will need to score in the 70s against ISU to win.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 am

I thought the name of this thread was the good the bad the Jamie Marshall??

Good--BOBCATS WIN. Defense stuffed the run. Chad Newell was used more and got to show off his hard nosed abilities. (At Knights expense I know).

Bad--The start time for this game, sucked a$$ in my opinion. We stared into the sun for the whole 2nd half. It wasn't fun. Mostly annoying to be honest about it. I know it's a tv deal with the griz too, but we don't HAVE to start back to back with them. I think it would have better to start at 5:30.

Jamie Marshall--coaches get crucified for switching to Prevent defenses. But when Weber is in a situation where everyone knows they have to throw, why can't we get our slowest LB off the field and replace him with ANY DB? I see the different packages roll in and out of the game and fully understand them, but we played Base and we didn't play fast in the fourth quarter. Any team can align themselves to get our LBs in a mismatch. Our DC needs to go somewhere else to coach.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Killdeer Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Killdeer Cat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:56 pm

94VegasCat wrote:I thought the name of this thread was the good the bad the Jamie Marshall??

Good--BOBCATS WIN. Defense stuffed the run. Chad Newell was used more and got to show off his hard nosed abilities. (At Knights expense I know).

Bad--The start time for this game, sucked a$$ in my opinion. We stared into the sun for the whole 2nd half. It wasn't fun. Mostly annoying to be honest about it. I know it's a tv deal with the griz too, but we don't HAVE to start back to back with them. I think it would have better to start at 5:30.

Jamie Marshall--coaches get crucified for switching to Prevent defenses. But when Weber is in a situation where everyone knows they have to throw, why can't we get our slowest LB off the field and replace him with ANY DB? I see the different packages roll in and out of the game and fully understand them, but we played Base and we didn't play fast in the fourth quarter. Any team can align themselves to get our LBs in a mismatch. Our DC needs to go somewhere else to coach.
Didn't they also broadcast the Notre Dame/FSU game as a triple header? I thought I heard them mention that during the broadcast as I watched it on BSTV. I'm pretty sure if they did, they weren't going to give up the ad dollars for the ND/FSU game to broadcast the MSU game at 5:30.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:46 pm

94VegasCat wrote:I thought the name of this thread was the good the bad the Jamie Marshall??

Nickel packages: I mentioned this in another thread last week, but with the offenses in the big sky, I think our base defense probably needs to be nickel. Football is a game of match ups and our lbs are getting exposed regularly.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Yup. #1 was a real speedster compared to the line backers covering him. Was pretty obvious soooo I'm not sure why we don't adjust or change things up with a 5 package. Has anyone that goes to Qback meetings asked Ash the same. Kinda like the 600lb gorilla. If so would love to hear the explanation.

I did like the corners moving up for a good part of the game. Maybe were trying new things in small portions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Clint Eastwood. Lee Van Cleef. Eli Wallach.
WAAAAA-ah-AAW-ah-AAW, Waa-waa-waaa!