Second FG attempt

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Second FG attempt

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:27 am

Did the TV have a good replay of this? Apparently Daly thought it was, gauging by his reaction and so did Colter's brother Brooks, who was standing right below the goal post.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Second FG attempt

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 am

It was wide left as far as I could tell from the tv.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks. Brooks said the ball sailed left after it went through.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:30 am

TomCat88 wrote:Thanks. Brooks said the ball sailed left after it went through.
It could have, the stream quality, as mentioned, left some to be desired here in Denver

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:51 am

I had a poor angle on both. Did he miss the first by much????

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:01 pm

catscat wrote:I had a poor angle on both. Did he miss the first by much????
Maybe 2-3 feet?

ghobs95
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ghobs95 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:49 pm

I was in the student section right behind the upright and it seemed to me that it went about as close to straight over the upright as possible, which of course would be a made field goal by rule...

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:04 pm

With today's technology every stadium could be set up to take a snap shot of the ball as it crosses the plane of the goal posts and uprights. It just happens too often

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

TboneCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TboneCat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:11 pm

ghobs95 wrote:I was in the student section right behind the upright and it seemed to me that it went about as close to straight over the upright as possible, which of course would be a made field goal by rule...
Actually, by rule that is no good. The rule straight out of the NCAA rule book:
SECTION 4. Field Goal
How Scored
ARTICLE 1. a. A field goal shall be scored for the kicking team if a drop kick or
place kick passes over the crossbar between the uprights of the receiving team’s
goal before it touches a player of the kicking team or the ground. The kick shall
be a scrimmage kick but may not be a free kick.
The emphasis is added by me, but is the important part, when any part of the ball goes over the upright it is no good as it has to pass between the uprights.

ghobs95
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ghobs95 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:41 am

That's my fault. The NFL rules state that a field goal over the upright is good, I didn't realize that the NCAA rule was different.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am

TboneCat wrote:
ghobs95 wrote:I was in the student section right behind the upright and it seemed to me that it went about as close to straight over the upright as possible, which of course would be a made field goal by rule...
Actually, by rule that is no good. The rule straight out of the NCAA rule book:
SECTION 4. Field Goal
How Scored
ARTICLE 1. a. A field goal shall be scored for the kicking team if a drop kick or
place kick passes over the crossbar between the uprights of the receiving team’s
goal before it touches a player of the kicking team or the ground. The kick shall
be a scrimmage kick but may not be a free kick.
The emphasis is added by me, but is the important part, when any part of the ball goes over the upright it is no good as it has to pass between the uprights.
Can it not exceed the height of the uprights? The way the rule is written you could be a jerk and take it that way. It's poorly written and should state how the refs rule if it goes directly over the upright.

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm

I was right underneath the upright on the field. The ball was too close to call, I would have leaned on it being good, but standing their, I had to look at the ref to see the call. It was that close.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Doing a little searching on this it appears the rule is slightly different between college and NFL. In the NFL the ball can be above the upright and be good while in college it has to be completely within the inside of the upright, even if above the physical upright. In other words, from what I have found in the NFL the ball must be within the plane extended upwards of the OUTSIDE of the uprights whereas in college the ball must be within the plane extended upwards of the INSIDE of the uprights. This is just in a short bit of research, so I could be wrong in all of this but this is what I found.

Perhaps this distinction is why we saw the Griz kicker upset about a failed FG (against NoDak I think?) and then Daly this week. The NFL rule got a bit of play a year or two ago in a fairly highly publicized case so it's likely that the general public (possibly including players) is thinking that the NFL rule should be what is being followed in college. I know that is the case for me until I found this info.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 pm

I finally watched this again. It looked good by 3 feet, but its hard to tell for sure.

When I first responded, I must have been thinking of the first field goal.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2