Peter Fields

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

slccat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Peter Fields

Post by slccat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:28 pm

First Post on BCN and probably my last, but I cannot let this one go. Garrett Marino gets kicked off the team and they revoke his scholly on Tuesday. He gets arrested last night night! Why is he still in Bozeman? Shouldn't Peter Fields have had someone personally make sure the kid was sent to the airport and sent off? I am not justifying anything he did, but it sounds like they just totally gave up on this kid and said figure it out kid! While a lot of kids have the means to get home I have no idea if he did or not, but shouldn't the athletic department step up and make sure this kid gets home? Now he has a fun court date to deal with! Hope you get your life figured out Marino. You obviously have some anger issues to work through and I hope you realize that.

SonomaCat

Re: Peter Fields

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:37 pm

slccat wrote:First Post on BCN and probably my last, but I cannot let this one go. Garrett Marino gets kicked off the team and they revoke his scholly on Tuesday. He gets arrested last night night! Why is he still in Bozeman? Shouldn't Peter Fields have had someone personally make sure the kid was sent to the airport and sent off?
I think it's illegal to kidnap somebody -- neither the coaches nor Peter Fields (who is strangely being called out here -- if anything, wouldn't this be on the coaches for recruiting him?) have no power to tell people who aren't on the team where they can or can't go. He didn't get kicked out of school, did he? It would be quite bizarre (and a total contradiction to the ethos of "student-athletes") if the athletic department kidnapped a student and shipped them out of Bozeman during the middle of a school week.

The reality is that he was given a chance with the Bobcats, and that didn't work out. He's not on the team anymore. Whatever happens is on him and only him.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:42 pm

You can't make people leave like that.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:46 pm

Wow. Great logic. Sounds like an old movie where the sheriff drops a bum off at the county line and tells him not to come back to these parts. Not sure Fields has that authority. [WINKING FACE]

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

slccat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by slccat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:47 pm

You are correct on everything! I guess i am just bitter at the whole process. Good post.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:50 pm

We expect football players to be ruthless and aggressive and violent and nasty ... but we expect them to be able to turn that off at the right times. Some people apparently can't do that.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:30 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
slccat wrote:First Post on BCN and probably my last, but I cannot let this one go. Garrett Marino gets kicked off the team and they revoke his scholly on Tuesday. He gets arrested last night night! Why is he still in Bozeman? Shouldn't Peter Fields have had someone personally make sure the kid was sent to the airport and sent off?
I think it's illegal to kidnap somebody -- neither the coaches nor Peter Fields (who is strangely being called out here -- if anything, wouldn't this be on the coaches for recruiting him?) have no power to tell people who aren't on the team where they can or can't go. He didn't get kicked out of school, did he? It would be quite bizarre (and a total contradiction to the ethos of "student-athletes") if the athletic department kidnapped a student and shipped them out of Bozeman during the middle of a school week.

The reality is that he was given a chance with the Bobcats, and that didn't work out. He's not on the team anymore. Whatever happens is on him and only him.
While slccat's rant is misguided, you are wrong. What happens after a guy leaves the team should be a reflection of the leadership of the team, and that the team took care of someone who was once part of the team.

If everything someone did was only "on them," Mike Kramer would still be the head coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:34 pm

FTG06' wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

While slccat's rant is misguided, you are wrong. What happens after a guy leaves the team should be a reflection of the leadership of the team, and that the team took care of someone who was once part of the team.

If everything someone did was only "on them," Mike Kramer would still be the head coach.

I'm pretty sure that kidnapping is in fact illegal.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:37 pm

FTG06' wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

Setting aside the fact that I think you are forgetting a lot about the Kramer years (a lot of what happened was by coaches and players on the team at the time, not by guys that had been kicked off already as is the situation we are talking about), I will happily concede that a person could argue that the coaches are at fault for bringing that guy into Bozeman in the first place (which is why I said that in my post). That said, I'm not aware of this guy having any criminal record in the past, so it would be a stretch to say that the coaches would have known that him getting arrested was a likely result of recruiting him. He came in as a known academic risk -- not necessarily as a behavior risk.

What did he get arrested for? I assume it was some sort of bar fight? Or was it something potentially even worse like torture/murder or being a part of a large drug ring made up of current and former players or selling meth on a recruiting trip?

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm

DCC2MSU wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

I'm pretty sure that kidnapping is in fact illegal.
Ya don't say?

Hence why I said the originators rant was misguided.

And to clarify, Kramer was no saint, I haven't forgotten anything about that era, because it was a dark time. I'm simply highlighting the fact that accountability goes far beyond the individual when you are talking about something like a football team, especially this team.

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:43 pm

Fortunately for that Cats today and tomorrow, none of this matters AT ALL.

So... Carry on complaining about a failed student athlete that made a terrible bomb.

It isn't the MSU athletic systems f*cking fault. Are you kidding me!!!!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:54 pm

slccat wrote:First Post on BCN and probably my last, but I cannot let this one go. Garrett Marino gets kicked off the team and they revoke his scholly on Tuesday. He gets arrested last night night! Why is he still in Bozeman? Shouldn't Peter Fields have had someone personally make sure the kid was sent to the airport and sent off? I am not justifying anything he did, but it sounds like they just totally gave up on this kid and said figure it out kid! While a lot of kids have the means to get home I have no idea if he did or not, but shouldn't the athletic department step up and make sure this kid gets home? Now he has a fun court date to deal with! Hope you get your life figured out Marino. You obviously have some anger issues to work through and I hope you realize that.
Does Marino get a few days to go through the withdrawal process from school if he chooses to do so? Does he get a few days to pack up his personal belongings in preparation to move back home? Sheesh - MSU clearly took a gamble here that did not pay off, but let's not go insane about it. Holy crap.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 am

His tuition is paid, regardless if by the athletic department, Marino or both. That being the case I don't see any reason he can't stay in school until the end of the semimester should he want to, and even beyond........on his own dime. He wasn't banished from the university. Can't see the athletic department asking the registar for their money back.
In any case, I believe Marino left the football team pretty much the same guy as the one who came to Bozeman. He had a great opportunity and it didn't work out. Happens all the time....=life.

Cat in NC
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat in NC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:29 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:
FTG06' wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

Setting aside the fact that I think you are forgetting a lot about the Kramer years (a lot of what happened was by coaches and players on the team at the time, not by guys that had been kicked off already as is the situation we are talking about), I will happily concede that a person could argue that the coaches are at fault for bringing that guy into Bozeman in the first place (which is why I said that in my post). That said, I'm not aware of this guy having any criminal record in the past, so it would be a stretch to say that the coaches would have known that him getting arrested was a likely result of recruiting him. He came in as a known academic risk -- not necessarily as a behavior risk.

What did he get arrested for? I assume it was some sort of bar fight? Or was it something potentially even worse like torture/murder or being a part of a large drug ring made up of current and former players or selling meth on a recruiting trip?
The Google tells me it was DUI. 10/18 at 2:29AM.

Travis Bickford
MSU '95

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:43 am

Well for sure all of Marino's problems are Peter Fields fault. After all he was only reprimanded for his behavior 4 or 5 times. If only Fields would have just talked to the kid and explained things, the kid would have turned this around long ago. When people say that someone needs to take responsibility for their own actions, they are naive. After all it takes a village.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:07 am

slccat wrote:First Post on BCN and probably my last, but I cannot let this one go. Garrett Marino gets kicked off the team and they revoke his scholly on Tuesday. He gets arrested last night night! Why is he still in Bozeman? Shouldn't Peter Fields have had someone personally make sure the kid was sent to the airport and sent off? I am not justifying anything he did, but it sounds like they just totally gave up on this kid and said figure it out kid! While a lot of kids have the means to get home I have no idea if he did or not, but shouldn't the athletic department step up and make sure this kid gets home? Now he has a fun court date to deal with! Hope you get your life figured out Marino. You obviously have some anger issues to work through and I hope you realize that.
Yes, it is a generally accepted principle of human development that nothing can be done about someone's "condition" until they want to do something about it. Also, I think it is simply basic respect.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:14 am

bcatfan1 wrote:Wow. Great logic. Sounds like an old movie where the sheriff drops a bum off at the county line and tells him not to come back to these parts. Not sure Fields has that authority. [WINKING FACE]
That made me laugh out loud. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 pm

And here's the problem with the world. Personal responsibility apparently isn't expected anymore. This was Garrett Marino's fault. No one else's. He can handle it, and maybe this is just the thing he needed, to help him grow up.