THE DEFENSE: 'Cats have played more snaps than almost anyone

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: THE DEFENSE: 'Cats have played more snaps than almost an

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:36 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
saintcat40 wrote:Catbracket, I am just curious as to your viewpoint. Not many on Bobcat Nation have spoken up for the defense. I have never played football or coached, just watched a lot over the years. (I was a track and cross-country guy - but have always enjoyed watching football). My eyes tell me something is wrong with the defense, and the stats back it up. I just am curious what you see that makes you think it is better than it looks, or what makes you think it is fixable. You gave a bit of info earlier, and I just would like to hear more.
Colter's story on the defense had a section in it about the defense letting teams make comebacks. The reality is those comebacks had something to do with our offense and special teams failing. Stats like total yards and points can often be deceiving. You have to look at the game situation to determine if those numbers truly represent how the game was played. I hope teams we play watch the SAC and UCD tapes, because those games aren't good indicators of our defense. I'm sure they know that.

And keep in mind that even during those games, and all others this season, ther have been stretches during those games where our D played lights out. Just need to do it consistently, on every down, in every quarter.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Is our defense not making stops because they're tired, or are they tired because they're not making stops? I tend to lean towards the latter, and our defensive 3rd down % is certainly indicative of that as well.

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Is our defense not making stops because they're tired, or are they tired because they're not making stops? I tend to lean towards the latter, and our defensive 3rd down % is certainly indicative of that as well.
Yes and isn't that the biggest reason that we have played more snaps than anyone else?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Bobcat Jim wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:Is our defense not making stops because they're tired, or are they tired because they're not making stops? I tend to lean towards the latter, and our defensive 3rd down % is certainly indicative of that as well.
Yes and isn't that the biggest reason that we have played more snaps than anyone else?
MSU ranks sixth in third down stops at 40.2. They were 12-24 against SAC (the Hornets were 6-7 in the second half) and UCD, so 37.8 not counting those games. MSU is fifth in fourth down stops. 41.2

MSU is eighth in fourth down converstions. MSU has five costly fourth down failures, including two against EWU a game the offense or defense could've won on several occasions. Proving, yet again, that football is a team sport. People, even the experts forget that sometimes, as you often hear them saying QB "X" won four Super Bowls, when in fact it was QB "X's" team that won four Super Bowls, not the QB. And QB "X" will tell you that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
RockyBearCat wrote:
77matcat wrote:Believe most of our defensive players probably came from high schools that ran multiple schemes. We did over 40 years ago.

Not sure why a college level program can't.

The question I have is do you think this inflexibility is coming from the DC, HC or both.
Regarding multiple schemes. The essence of college is different than high school. In high school, especially all but about 5 or 6 huge schools in Montana, the coaches are FORCED to have multiple schemes and change them year to year. It is based on personnel. One year you have plenty of small, fast guys, next year you get a 280 lb freshman that runs a 4.7. You play differently on both sides of the ball. In college, you set the scheme you like based on your faith in your coaches and you recruit to have depth at the type of players you want. Cats did that this year but between injuries, suspensions, a well-known recruit failure, etc. We don't quite have the personnel that fits the mold perfectly.

To look at this from a simple Basketball perspective. A high school coach starts his 5 best athletes. One year might be 5 over 6 feet and they pound the ball inside. Next year 4 of them graduate and you have some great young guards and they put up 50 3's a game. In college, the coach decides he wants to be the team shooting 50 3's a game, his recruiting is for lights out guards, not 6.10 centers.
Excellent Post RBC.

It is a HUGE difference to switch up schemes.....especially with only a few practices to implement. The difference between playing a 1-technique or 3-technique 1 gap D-Line scheme, to a 0-tech (nose) that plays a 2 gap, is world's apart. As far as the Dline goes, it is unreasonable to ask them to play a different scheme at this point in the year.....and as far as the Dline goes, there really are only 2 schemes - 30 front and 40 front - everything else is a variation off of that. And the D front determines where the LBs play, and their style of play too.

As far as coverages and blitzing, that's a little different story. We should be running different coverages....and we are. We can make a huge improvement in our blitzing techniques...and as of Weber, we were - hitting gaps differently, bringing guys in different spots.

Should we play different than we have been? Yes. Should we completely switch schemes to a completely different defense like some have suggested? That is unreasonable to ask. IMO, we should pressure more and subsequently run more Man Free in the secondary....as of Weber, we are. Just my two cents.
Great posts RBC and HelenaCat - its awesome to have a couple intelligent posts on the subject.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:21 pm

it is very clear to me that some of you played the game....
:-^

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:01 pm

I finally watched the rest of the Weber game. We did not play base, but we did play fast. We brought LOTS of pressure. Even on first and second downs AND use of the corner blitz.

Sooooo...... is Marshall feeling the heat?

I noticed he changed his profile pic on twitter. Its a good ploy and it wasn't lost on me.

I will say, if he can learn to dial up the pressure to get 3 and outs, he may just work out.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 pm

What was the ploy of changing his profile pic? What was it and what is it now?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:38 pm

lutecat wrote:What was the ploy of changing his profile pic? What was it and what is it now?
It was just a generic pic before and now its a pic of his family. It was changed in the week prior to the Weber game. The ploy is an emotional one. Its a ploy to get people to see the man for more than JUST the DC. Its basic business marketing.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:57 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
lutecat wrote:What was the ploy of changing his profile pic? What was it and what is it now?
It was just a generic pic before and now its a pic of his family. It was changed in the week prior to the Weber game. The ploy is an emotional one. Its a ploy to get people to see the man for more than JUST the DC. Its basic business marketing.

that might be looking into things a little much...

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 am

ilovethecats wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I suppose it could be coincidental. But really, it's a strategy that's being taught for business marketing via social media.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:16 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I suppose it could be coincidental. But really, it's a strategy that's being taught for business marketing via social media.
ya I agree. I'd just be surprised in this case if there was that much thought but I obviously have no idea.

if I'm not mistaken he's fairly new to social media right? my guess is he started after pleas from his players and coaching friends and is still figuring things out. maybe guys like mack and ione that tweet all the time told him to get his ****** together and get a profile pic on there! :D