Official MSU Bobcat- Weber State game thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Official MSU Bobcat- Weber State game thread

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:28 pm

RickRund wrote:And I guess if we should have a down day we may have picked the right day.....
Hard to complain though. We ran for 300+. D line played amazing. It's either 300 passing and 150 rushing or the opposite. Pick your poison I guess.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 pm

RickRund wrote:And I guess if we should have a down day we may have picked the right day.....
Exactly what I was thinking

Gustofer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Gustofer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 pm

webdav wrote:
RickRund wrote:Will ask after the game is over WHAT THE HECK happened today? Just turned it on at 10:19 in the 4th.....
We played a hungry, creative team playing with house money. They faked two punts and played loose the whole game. Their D plays fast laterally, neutralizing some of our stretch game. Credit to them. They played well. We are just better.
And we played a completely different game this week. Prukop only threw 8 passes.

I think it would have been really ugly had Ash decided to open up and let the offense go. My guess is that this was an attempt to not only work on the run game some more, but also an attempt to have the D get their feet under them again. It all looked good with the exception of the secondary. No real surprise there though.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Gustofer wrote:
webdav wrote:
RickRund wrote:Will ask after the game is over WHAT THE HECK happened today? Just turned it on at 10:19 in the 4th.....
We played a hungry, creative team playing with house money. They faked two punts and played loose the whole game. Their D plays fast laterally, neutralizing some of our stretch game. Credit to them. They played well. We are just better.
And we played a completely different game this week. Prukop only threw 8 passes.

I think it would have been really ugly had Ash decided to open up and let the offense go. My guess is that this was an attempt to not only work on the run game some more, but also an attempt to have the D get their feet under them again. It all looked good with the exception of the secondary. No real surprise there though.
Prukop threw 18 passes with 11 completions.

It looked to me that the offense was pretty content with just running it down Weber's throat, keep it fairly vanilla and getting out with a W. That's just my opinion, but I've also drank a growler from Great Divide so I might not be the best judge.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:37 pm

coachouert wrote:
Gustofer wrote:
webdav wrote:

It looked to me that the offense was pretty content with just running it down Weber's throat, keep it fairly vanilla and getting out with a W. That's just my opinion, but I've also drank a growler from Great Divide so I might not be the best judge.
I've had the equivalent of a growler and I agree. Vanilla. Vanilla...I need some cookies.

Gustofer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Gustofer » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:40 pm

coachouert wrote:
Hmmm...

The ESPN stat I saw said 6 of 8.

Either way, this was a ground game all the way.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:45 pm

Gustofer wrote:
coachouert wrote:
Hmmm...

The ESPN stat I saw said 6 of 8.

Either way, this was a ground game all the way.
11/18 is what it's telling me.

Mechanical Cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mechanical Cat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:05 pm

Wins a win. It was actually a fun game to be at. Good to see the d hold as opposed to holding our d.

SaxCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by SaxCat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:54 pm

My take away was that the defense stopped the bleeding and can go into the bye week focused on building a cohesive game plan and unit. All in all, the Cats had a good day and it is hard to be really angry about anything. Sure, Daly missed some kicks that he should probably make, but he's young and had a bad day, I'll worry when it's a consistent thing.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:01 pm

Then I will take this from the day.....

So from the point of view that I got into the game late and to see the score one would think we fell flat on our face. When in fact it was a decent outing.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:06 pm

Question: Was the offensive game plan in focusing on running meant to aid the defense ins slowing down the game? Do you think they would slow the offensive attack to give the defense a rest and help bolster confidence? Sorry - sort of a conspiracy theory.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Doc3kgt wrote:I'm sorry but our secondary is dog sh!t
If our dog sh!t secondary continues allowing 13 points, I'll take it. I thought they and the rest of the defense were much improved today - Weber had a couple of long pass plays on extremely well thrown balls into good coverage, it wasn't like guys were running wide open all day.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:26 pm

As long as the offense doesn't go conservative here on out like most years in recent memory. We have had great starts to seasons and gone run run run the last weeks of the year. Hopefully today was just taking what the defense was giving us and nothing more

Killdeer Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Killdeer Cat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:58 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:Question: Was the offensive game plan in focusing on running meant to aid the defense ins slowing down the game? Do you think they would slow the offensive attack to give the defense a rest and help bolster confidence? Sorry - sort of a conspiracy theory.
We ran the ball 53 times today and averaged almost 6 yards per attempt. I think the coaching staff took a good look at how The Dallas Cowboys have limited their defense from being exposed and made a conscious effort to do the same. Keep the ball out of the opponents' hands, keep your suspect D on the sidelines, keep them fresh, and lean on your biggest asset....the offensive line. Now they can take advantage of the bye week to rest up, heal up, and coach up on how to stop the option. Very good strategy as far as I am concerned.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Montana State never started in any better position than its own 25 today.

If Daly doesn't miss those two kicks in the first quarter, that's at least a 29-13.

Garcia doesn't get called for a bogus penalty, MSU gets a stop and gets the ball near midfield early.

Prukop and Horn don't miss the presnap calls in the first quarter on those corner chops they were running and MSU doesn't get sacked twice. Instead, they probably score two first-quarter touchdowns and that's a 40-point outing.

The offense piled up 464 yards today, rushed for 304 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry without Knight, a guy who's averaging 4.4 yards per carry and has scored 7 touchdowns.

Montana State shot themselves in the foot all evening.

Another thing to consider: Montana State is running the option on almost every play. Prukop has the chance to give, keep or throw on most plays. Watching live, it seemed to me WSU was determined to not give up anything over the top or over the middle deep. When you're running the option, you take what the defense gives you. Today, they were giving up the give to the running back on the read option. MSU took it. Prukop got sacked three times for a loss of 33 and still rushed for 60. Newell rushed for 62 yards on 12 carries. Brekke got 31 yards on 7 carries. Shawn Johnson rushed for 153 yards on 14 carries.

It wasn't 77 points, but it could have easily been 38-42 if not for a few mistakes. 304 yards rushing is good no matter who you play.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:39 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Montana State never started in any better position than its own 25 today.

If Daly doesn't miss those two kicks in the first quarter, that's at least a 29-13.

Garcia doesn't get called for a bogus penalty, MSU gets a stop and gets the ball near midfield early.

Prukop and Horn don't miss the presnap calls in the first quarter on those corner chops they were running and MSU doesn't get sacked twice. Instead, they probably score two first-quarter touchdowns and that's a 40-point outing.

The offense piled up 464 yards today, rushed for 304 yards and averaged 5.7 yards per carry without Knight, a guy who's averaging 4.4 yards per carry and has scored 7 touchdowns.

Montana State shot themselves in the foot all evening.

Another thing to consider: Montana State is running the option on almost every play. Prukop has the chance to give, keep or throw on most plays. Watching live, it seemed to me WSU was determined to not give up anything over the top or over the middle deep. When you're running the option, you take what the defense gives you. Today, they were giving up the give to the running back on the read option. MSU took it. Prukop got sacked three times for a loss of 33 and still rushed for 60. Newell rushed for 62 yards on 12 carries. Brekke got 31 yards on 7 carries. Shawn Johnson rushed for 153 yards on 14 carries.

It wasn't 77 points, but it could have easily been 38-42 if not for a few mistakes. 304 yards rushing is good no matter who you play.
:goodpost:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:56 am

profisme wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I just turned the game on and we scored a TD. You're welcome.
Oh, go find your Bobcat cape somewhere. If you had worn that while watching the game we would have won by 40 already.
Haha it's in storage. I haven't dusted that puppy off in years. Still waiting for that perfect time...

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:38 am

I had a feeling that weber's defense was going to be good. they played pretty well against ndsu. msu D and O line were great.

webdav
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by webdav » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:34 am

We basically matched what the best team in the country did against the same team. We scored one less point, gave up 3 more.

But we missed an extra point, two field goals, gave up two huge gains on very well-called and executed fake punts and extended a 3-and-out with a dubious personal foul.

Plus we had a TD called back for a hold on special teams.

Overall, this is a win. Smile.

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:10 am

Watched the end of your game against Weber state, and thought the Cats looked pretty good. Had it not been for the muffed punt, Weber might have been closer, but like someone here mentioned two missed field goals never help