Garrett Marino dismissed from Bobcat football team (FREE)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Garrett Marino dismissed from Bobcat football team (FREE

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:21 pm

I am curious though, that if this "kid" really cleaned up his act and got his crap together both in the classroom and on the field, would you guys want him back on this team? I think sometimes you have to fall hard to get back up, and maybe he just thought he would always get away with just getting by and being himself.

Punters are people too!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 pm

codecat wrote:
allcat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:Is this the first time Ash has ever dismissed a player from the team???.... I can't think of any others
No, he sent an offensive lineman packing a couple years ago.
Not 100% sure on the following but where I have the Chronicle, I'm sure that I made the note after reading the article. The others I wrote down after reading something but have no idea what the source was.

Mar/2011...DeSean Thomas (have no verification)
Mar/2011...Killian Fitzpatrick (no verification)
Feb/2012...Trey Spirlin (think this can be validated by a Chronicle article 03/18)
Feb/2012...Roger Trammell (think Chronicle verification/appeal denied)
Mar/2013...Christian Keli'i (think Chronicle verification 03/18)
Oct/2013...Ijumaa Armstrong (have no verification)
I can confirm the last four of these. I got here right when Spirlin was dismissed from the team. Trammell was dismissed by Peter Fields after the incident at Bar IX in which he got in a fight with MSU basketball Xavier Blount. Christian Keli'i essentially expelled himself. You can figure out why. Armstrong was one of the most outlandish dismissals I've heard of. It was never released to the public so I'd rather not share it here, but mark my words, it was something I haven't heard before and highly doubt we'll hear again.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:41 pm

Outlandish by the coaches or by Armstrong ?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Wasn't it one of those "me first" deals?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:54 pm

What did Armstrong steal a coach's wife? :shock:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:59 pm

I thought Kurt Davis was dismissed also?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 pm

91catAlum wrote:I thought Kurt Davis was dismissed also?

Knee injury I think

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 pm

91catAlum wrote:I thought Kurt Davis was dismissed also?

I think he tore his ACL, and retired. I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:Players gotta buy into the Bobcat way or its the highway. Sorry to see him go. I always like to see success stories on players that need a second chance
Yeah, you never know. He could change his ways and be back on the team next year, ala Brad Daly. Or not.
Brad Daly wasn't dismissed.

The hardest part this deal with Marino is our coaching staff bent over backwards to get him here, gave him several opportunities and he still pissed it away. All of the time and his scholarship could have gone to a DE who wanted to be here and learn how to be a better person and player. I highly doubt the coaching staff would let him come back. I really wanted to see him make it and make it big, who know the sky was the limit. Hopefully he gets his head straight and make it some where.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:58 am

Some people are just wired wrong. If they have issues, sometimes it's noticed earlier, sometime later. In the Marino's case it probably took interactions with college coaching/expectations and the pressure of academics that made him blow a gasket. He obviously couldn't control the anger and direct it into athletic accomplishment anymore.

2024 Resume dominance

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 am

FTG247365 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:Players gotta buy into the Bobcat way or its the highway. Sorry to see him go. I always like to see success stories on players that need a second chance
Yeah, you never know. He could change his ways and be back on the team next year, ala Brad Daly. Or not.
Brad Daly wasn't dismissed.

The hardest part this deal with Marino is our coaching staff bent over backwards to get him here, gave him several opportunities and he still pissed it away. All of the time and his scholarship could have gone to a DE who wanted to be here and learn how to be a better person and player. I highly doubt the coaching staff would let him come back. I really wanted to see him make it and make it big, who know the sky was the limit. Hopefully he gets his head straight and make it some where.
All the while his scholarship crap? come on, are you saying you would not take a chance on this kid? Connor Thomas appears to have turned it around, this kid does not want to grow up yet.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:46 am

GoCats18 wrote:I am curious though, that if this "kid" really cleaned up his act and got his crap together both in the classroom and on the field, would you guys want him back on this team? I think sometimes you have to fall hard to get back up, and maybe he just thought he would always get away with just getting by and being himself.
Everyone deserves a second chance, even third or fourth. But, I am guessing he would really have to go to great lengths to prove he is worthy of another gamble. He would have to show a truly humble attitude towards the team and coaching staff. I wish Garrett the best, he can become a great individual.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:25 am

msu_agfan wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:I am curious though, that if this "kid" really cleaned up his act and got his crap together both in the classroom and on the field, would you guys want him back on this team? I think sometimes you have to fall hard to get back up, and maybe he just thought he would always get away with just getting by and being himself.
Everyone deserves a second chance, even third or fourth. But, I am guessing he would really have to go to great lengths to prove he is worthy of another gamble. He would have to show a truly humble attitude towards the team and coaching staff. I wish Garrett the best, he can become a great individual.
I would absolutely give him another chance, with the normal stipulations that go with any player that's been through something like this. No schollie until earned, fully academically eligible, serves his suspension, etc. He needs to prove that he WANTS to be part of THIS team, not just on some team where he can keep playing.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 am

Wasn't this already his 2nd chance? If you take his first go-around with ASU....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

tdub

Post by tdub » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:41 am

mslacatfan wrote:Wasn't this already his 2nd chance? If you take his first go-around with ASU....
He wasn't kicked off the ASU team, it was academic eligibility. He grey-shirted, I believe. But if you want to say this was 2nd chance, then give him a 3rd.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14 am

tdub wrote:
msu_agfan wrote:
I would absolutely give him another chance, with the normal stipulations that go with any player that's been through something like this. No schollie until earned, fully academically eligible, serves his suspension, etc. He needs to prove that he WANTS to be part of THIS team, not just on some team where he can keep playing.
I think this was his 3rd and final chance, preseason fight with BB players, suspended for game for violating team rules, fight with Godeckie (sp), 3 strikes and you are out

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 am

cats2506 wrote:
tdub wrote:
msu_agfan wrote:
I think this was his 3rd and final chance, preseason fight with BB players, suspended for game for violating team rules, fight with Godeckie (sp), 3 strikes and you are out
Winner winner chicken parm dinner

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

tdub

Post by tdub » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:21 am

cats2506 wrote:
tdub wrote:
msu_agfan wrote:
You're probably right. And my guess is he'll be gone from Bozeman very soon, if he isn't already. My point is that if this truly wakes him up and he chooses the right path, and the coaches put the right path in front of him, he could come back. But I also understand perfect worlds rarely exist.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 am

This may actually provide a spark to the defense. The perceived lack of effort, especially pass rush, can, and often times is, related to something cancerous within a team. I have a suspicion this could've been a major problem within the defense...you have a 4 star recruit coming in that everyone outside of the team is talking about, excited about, etc. but he comes into fall camp with a chip on his shoulder, gets into fights or whatever was happening and disrupts team chemistry big time, especially on the defense. I suspect Garret's departure will "free up" the defense to play the way they are capable of playing without having to worry about this.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:58 am

I'm bummed to see Marino go, but I'm extremely proud of our coaches for making players toe the line. It's the best thing for all involved.