Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Remaining Conference Games:Biggest Challenge?

Weber State
3%
Cal Poly
13%
Portland State
0%
Idaho State
30%
uM
54%

Total votes: 207

Robert Martin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Post by Robert Martin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:All I'm saying is come November, playing football in Montana...I would rather have the top defense than the offense that puts up 50+ points a game...and its not like its just dominating and winning games with both offense and defense...you guys at this point are relying on your offense to score 35+ points to win games...almost every team is putting up 30+ on you. The most our defense has allowed is 22 to the 3 time defending champs..at their place. Something's gotta break come November doesn't it?
"As Brian Burke at Advanced NFL Stats determined after analyzing scoring during the 2002-2006 seasons: “It doesn’t appear that cold weather reduces scoring.” Cold weather does, however, seem “to slightly enhance the spread between winner and loser by depressing the score of the loser."

http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/13/foot ... conundrum/

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:06 am

merff33 wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Robert Martin wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Cledus wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Cledus wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:It will be UM hands down, and I think UM would still be favored by most...late November...temp in the high teens, low 20s? Difference is UM can win a 17-10..21-17 style game...MSU cannot. Defense wins games late in the season...nobodys gonna be scoring 45+ once November comes around, not even the high powered MSU or EWU offenses. If UM can find a way to score 21 they will most likely win those games!
Your record for predictions is absolutely laughable. Ron White said it best: if you're ugly you can get plastic surgery. If you're fat you can lose weight. But you can't fix stupid.
Explain to me where I'm wrong. I understand its easy to be excited about the Cats offense right now, and deservedly so, they're explosive. But in the rocky mountains in November teams just don't put up 50+ points...what is hard to understand about that. Specially against a very good defense. In our house? The Cats aren't used to getting series stopped right now...how will they respond if the 4th quarter comes around in Missoula and its 10-10...or 17-14.....IDK if you've seen a Brawl game EVER....but they are usually low scoring...again a defensive game benefits the Griz....if we were playing in California...ya I'd be worried because the Griz aren't scoring 45 points....you're a ****** moron if you cant understand what I'm saying!
Nobody can understand what you're saying.[/quote

Tell me the part you don't understand and I will tell you what I am saying! No time to play dumb now....you know what I'm saying is accurate...you've seen it happen to many times before.
Simple question for you. If i flip a quarter 10 times and it comes up heads everytime, when I flip it the 11th time what are the odds it comes up heads again? Let me answer that for you. It is the same odds that it is in any other flip. The outcomes of the first 10 have no bearing on the outcomes of the 11th flip. (Just like the Coastal Carolina game)

On the flip side, do you know what does go by history? National Polls.

You see, the teams last year or years before have no bearing on this years outcomes. Different conditions, different teams, and MSU has a different coaching philosphy.

By the way, who from the BSC has made the semi-finals three out of the last 4 years? And was that team a powerhouse offense or defense?

Griz are smiling, only because they don't have to play Idaho State also.
Ya except we play both MSU and EWU as conference games...like it should be always. One in which you would have a conference L.............Im just trying to understand why Cledus doesn't understand what I'm saying....most Cats posters I think would agree as they've seen it before...when it gets late fall, sometimes with snow on the ground..in November...teams don't put up 50+ point games in the BSC and defense wins championships. Its not even me being biased...its just a fact. Also Cat-Griz is generally low scoring.

I just got back to this thread today and got a big smile! :D

Nice to see you solved the argument from last year Badlands. Even you call it Cat-griz and NOT griz-Cat!!!!!

Too funny! =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^
Ive always called it Cat-Griz for many reasons..rolls off the tongue better..ladies first..and what have you.....2nd your facts suck onecat...Sam Houston beat us in Texas bud...3rd to Bobcat Steve...ya the Griz do have the best defense in the Big Sky...and its not even close!

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:43 am

If I had to lay money on the Cat-Griz game today I'd give the nod to MSU. Our defense has looked good, but I wonder what it will look like against great offenses (EWU, MSU, etc.). We held NDSU to 22, and that's good I suppose. But is NDSU really known for their offense?

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:56 am

tampa_griz wrote:If I had to lay money on the Cat-Griz game today I'd give the nod to MSU. Our defense has looked good, but I wonder what it will look like against great offenses (EWU, MSU, etc.). We held NDSU to 22, and that's good I suppose. But is NDSU really known for their offense?
I think that's what most people are getting at, there's still half the season to go.
BadlandsGrizFan wrote: Ive always called it Cat-Griz for many reasons..rolls off the tongue better..ladies first..and what have you.....2nd your facts suck onecat...Sam Houston beat us in Texas bud...3rd to Bobcat Steve...ya the Griz do have the best defense in the Big Sky...and its not even close!
People still say "ladies first?" Did I suddenly get transported back to 1995?

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:04 pm

ImagineSanta wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:If I had to lay money on the Cat-Griz game today I'd give the nod to MSU. Our defense has looked good, but I wonder what it will look like against great offenses (EWU, MSU, etc.). We held NDSU to 22, and that's good I suppose. But is NDSU really known for their offense?
I think that's what most people are getting at, there's still half the season to go.
BadlandsGrizFan wrote: Ive always called it Cat-Griz for many reasons..rolls off the tongue better..ladies first..and what have you.....2nd your facts suck onecat...Sam Houston beat us in Texas bud...3rd to Bobcat Steve...ya the Griz do have the best defense in the Big Sky...and its not even close!
People still say "ladies first?" Did I suddenly get transported back to 1995?
Lol..no I think they've started replacing the phrase with Cat-Griz.....but I agree with Tampa Griz...IDK if I'd put the cats down for a win if they played today..but they are certainly on a hot streak with that offense...it will remain to be seen if this yrs cats can avoid the ever so famous..Bobcat 2nd half collapse...that seams to haunt Bozeman regularly.

Robert Martin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Robert Martin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:45 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
merff33 wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Robert Martin wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Cledus wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Cledus wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:It will be UM hands down, and I think UM would still be favored by most...late November...temp in the high teens, low 20s? Difference is UM can win a 17-10..21-17 style game...MSU cannot. Defense wins games late in the season...nobodys gonna be scoring 45+ once November comes around, not even the high powered MSU or EWU offenses. If UM can find a way to score 21 they will most likely win those games!
Your record for predictions is absolutely laughable. Ron White said it best: if you're ugly you can get plastic surgery. If you're fat you can lose weight. But you can't fix stupid.
Explain to me where I'm wrong. I understand its easy to be excited about the Cats offense right now, and deservedly so, they're explosive. But in the rocky mountains in November teams just don't put up 50+ points...what is hard to understand about that. Specially against a very good defense. In our house? The Cats aren't used to getting series stopped right now...how will they respond if the 4th quarter comes around in Missoula and its 10-10...or 17-14.....IDK if you've seen a Brawl game EVER....but they are usually low scoring...again a defensive game benefits the Griz....if we were playing in California...ya I'd be worried because the Griz aren't scoring 45 points....you're a ****** moron if you cant understand what I'm saying!
Nobody can understand what you're saying.[/quote

Tell me the part you don't understand and I will tell you what I am saying! No time to play dumb now....you know what I'm saying is accurate...you've seen it happen to many times before.
Simple question for you. If i flip a quarter 10 times and it comes up heads everytime, when I flip it the 11th time what are the odds it comes up heads again? Let me answer that for you. It is the same odds that it is in any other flip. The outcomes of the first 10 have no bearing on the outcomes of the 11th flip. (Just like the Coastal Carolina game)

On the flip side, do you know what does go by history? National Polls.

You see, the teams last year or years before have no bearing on this years outcomes. Different conditions, different teams, and MSU has a different coaching philosphy.

By the way, who from the BSC has made the semi-finals three out of the last 4 years? And was that team a powerhouse offense or defense?

Griz are smiling, only because they don't have to play Idaho State also.
Ya except we play both MSU and EWU as conference games...like it should be always. One in which you would have a conference L.............Im just trying to understand why Cledus doesn't understand what I'm saying....most Cats posters I think would agree as they've seen it before...when it gets late fall, sometimes with snow on the ground..in November...teams don't put up 50+ point games in the BSC and defense wins championships. Its not even me being biased...its just a fact. Also Cat-Griz is generally low scoring.

I just got back to this thread today and got a big smile! :D

Nice to see you solved the argument from last year Badlands. Even you call it Cat-griz and NOT griz-Cat!!!!!

Too funny! =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^ =D^
Ive always called it Cat-Griz for many reasons..rolls off the tongue better..ladies first..and what have you.....2nd your facts suck onecat...Sam Houston beat us in Texas bud...3rd to Bobcat Steve...ya the Griz do have the best defense in the Big Sky...and its not even close!
As I sat at the Griz/Sioux game I would say the defenses are very close, in fact, I would even say the Sioux are better. They did hold you to 7 points below your average, and they scored 1 more point than their average. I don't think three bad snaps helped them at all, in fact, it caused at least 5 points (safety was 2 and FG was 3)I would say you have a better offense, by about 3 points. Wait add those 3 back to UND and take away the 2 from the Griz it would be 18 for the Sioux and 13 for the Griz before you would have had to march the whole field in 1:02 seconds to get a game winning TD. So maybe you are the same defensively and 5 worse offensively.

Crap, the Griz are worse than I thought. No wonder all the talk about he Cats OL, Dakota Prukop, and the Cats offense etc on Egriz.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Crap what happened on the other bad snap? I know the Sioux lost 24 yards. Wow, could this have been a blow out for the Sioux.

The power offenses are coming, and exposure will happen for you. Too bad you don't get to play ISU also

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:52 pm

The Griz are still on the winning side, and always seem to peak at the right time. Tradition. I can't count them out. They are lucky to play the cushy teams first.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

cat_stache_fever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by cat_stache_fever » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:56 pm

I'd bet on the Cats if they played this weekend...BUT, the game is in November. The Griz ALWAYS see to get stronger as the season progresses. The Cats, unfortunately, seem to do the opposite. They pop off in September/October, then limp towards the finish line. The Griz defense may or may not be dominant, who knows? Guarantee they're physical though...might be a problem for the Cats flashy offense.

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TJMoe82
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TJMoe82 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:48 pm

I assume the biggest reason for most's fear of the griz is past results. And technically, not even recent past. This year, i'm not sure there is a reason they should be the most feared. They may beat us, but I don't think that's any more likely than a loss to Cal Poly or even ISU.

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:54 am

TJMoe82 wrote:I assume the biggest reason for most's fear of the griz is past results. And technically, not even recent past. This year, i'm not sure there is a reason they should be the most feared. They may beat us, but I don't think that's any more likely than a loss to Cal Poly or even ISU.

Robert Martin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Robert Martin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 am

TJMoe82 wrote:I assume the biggest reason for most's fear of the griz is past results. And technically, not even recent past. This year, i'm not sure there is a reason they should be the most feared. They may beat us, but I don't think that's any more likely than a loss to Cal Poly or even ISU.
The Accounting and Consulting Firm of Deloitte & Touche performed an audit. The findings, of the 169 ballots cast. 99 were cast by IP addresses of know Griz fans. They were able to come to the conclusion that 4 Griz fans are smart enough to know they are not the biggest challenge left on the Bobcat Schedule

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:04 am

Robert Martin wrote:
The Accounting and Consulting Firm of Deloitte & Touche performed an audit. The findings, of the 169 ballots cast. 99 were cast by IP addresses of know Griz fans. They were able to come to the conclusion that 4 Griz fans are smart enough to know they are not the biggest challenge left on the Bobcat Schedule
LOL Ironically my girlfriend work for Deloitte doing just these things...haha weird....but I heard the second study showed that 99% of Bobcats were delusional and had yet to learn their lessons from the past.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Robert Martin wrote:
LOL Ironically my girlfriend work for Deloitte doing just these things...haha weird....but I heard the second study showed that 99% of Bobcats were delusional and had yet to learn their lessons from the past.
Crazy! Same study shows 99% of Griz fans are still living in the past. :wink:

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:06 pm

Per Colter via twitter....Ash confirmed NA'a has been hurt and Rhett Young will be getting more snaps on Saturday. But quoted, "It's hard to bench your captain."

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Common Cat wrote:Per Colter via twitter....Ash confirmed NA'a has been hurt and Rhett Young will be getting more snaps on Saturday. But quoted, "It's hard to bench your captain."
Things that make ya go Huh!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Common Cat wrote:Per Colter via twitter....Ash confirmed NA'a has been hurt and Rhett Young will be getting more snaps on Saturday. But quoted, "It's hard to bench your captain."
Hmmm. Shouldn't be hard at all to bench your captain if he's hurt, and if inserting the backup gives the team a better chance to win? Maybe that's what Ash is saying, that his leadership while on the field outweighs the lack of production from the position. I don't know... but obviously he is struggling there. Get Young in there, might be the spark we need, let Na'a be a cheerleader on the sidelines for awhile and heal up.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:41 pm

catatac wrote:
Hmmm. Shouldn't be hard at all to bench your captain if he's hurt, and if inserting the backup gives the team a better chance to win? Maybe that's what Ash is saying, that his leadership while on the field outweighs the lack of production from the position. I don't know... but obviously he is struggling there. Get Young in there, might be the spark we need, let Na'a be a cheerleader on the sidelines for awhile and heal up.
Another way to look at it is that Ash is protecting his players. He's realized what Na'a has done for the program and is giving him his respect.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:36 pm

Common Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Another way to look at it is that Ash is protecting his players. He's realized what Na'a has done for the program and is giving him his respect.
Right, I get that, but it's 100% contrary to what he preaches. They play the players that give the team the absolute best chance to win the next game, period. We all know he played the big name guys through the bitter end last year, the guys that had earned the right to play... but they were not playing at 100% and therefore weren't giving us the best chance to win. Trust me, I'm probably one of the biggest Ash fans there are, but in this particular issue, he needs to practice what he preaches.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:49 pm

Griz. Always. Every year. MSU hasn't blown out UM since the 1980s, even when MSU had the better teams.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:56 pm

Hold on to your hat !! It is coming this year in a big way. GO CATS GO . FTG