Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Remaining Conference Games:Biggest Challenge?

Weber State
3%
Cal Poly
13%
Portland State
0%
Idaho State
30%
uM
54%

Total votes: 207

codecat
Member # Retired

Re: Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Post by codecat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Per Colter via twitter....Ash confirmed NA'a has been hurt and Rhett Young will be getting more snaps on Saturday. But quoted, "It's hard to bench your captain."
Hmmm. Shouldn't be hard at all to bench your captain if he's hurt, and if inserting the backup gives the team a better chance to win? Maybe that's what Ash is saying, that his leadership while on the field outweighs the lack of production from the position. I don't know... but obviously he is struggling there. Get Young in there, might be the spark we need, let Na'a be a cheerleader on the sidelines for awhile and heal up.
Another way to look at it is that Ash is protecting his players. He's realized what Na'a has done for the program and is giving him his respect.
Right, I get that, but it's 100% contrary to what he preaches. They play the players that give the team the absolute best chance to win the next game, period. We all know he played the big name guys through the bitter end last year, the guys that had earned the right to play... but they were not playing at 100% and therefore weren't giving us the best chance to win. Trust me, I'm probably one of the biggest Ash fans there are, but in this particular issue, he needs to practice what he preaches.
I'm an Ash fan as well, but would change your above sentence to say "they were not playing at 100% but must have had more value on the field (either by play or leadership), than the backups." I really think they missed his leadership on the field last year - I have no idea about this year.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 pm

codecat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Per Colter via twitter....Ash confirmed NA'a has been hurt and Rhett Young will be getting more snaps on Saturday. But quoted, "It's hard to bench your captain."
Hmmm. Shouldn't be hard at all to bench your captain if he's hurt, and if inserting the backup gives the team a better chance to win? Maybe that's what Ash is saying, that his leadership while on the field outweighs the lack of production from the position. I don't know... but obviously he is struggling there. Get Young in there, might be the spark we need, let Na'a be a cheerleader on the sidelines for awhile and heal up.
Another way to look at it is that Ash is protecting his players. He's realized what Na'a has done for the program and is giving him his respect.
Right, I get that, but it's 100% contrary to what he preaches. They play the players that give the team the absolute best chance to win the next game, period. We all know he played the big name guys through the bitter end last year, the guys that had earned the right to play... but they were not playing at 100% and therefore weren't giving us the best chance to win. Trust me, I'm probably one of the biggest Ash fans there are, but in this particular issue, he needs to practice what he preaches.
I'm an Ash fan as well, but would change your above sentence to say "they were not playing at 100% but must have had more value on the field (either by play or leadership), than the backups." I really think they missed his leadership on the field last year - I have no idea about this year.
This years defense seem so be lacking in leadership.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:01 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
Robert Martin wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:I assume the biggest reason for most's fear of the griz is past results. And technically, not even recent past. This year, i'm not sure there is a reason they should be the most feared. They may beat us, but I don't think that's any more likely than a loss to Cal Poly or even ISU.
The Accounting and Consulting Firm of Deloitte & Touche performed an audit. The findings, of the 169 ballots cast. 99 were cast by IP addresses of know Griz fans. They were able to come to the conclusion that 4 Griz fans are smart enough to know they are not the biggest challenge left on the Bobcat Schedule
LOL Ironically my girlfriend work for Deloitte doing just these things...haha weird....but I heard the second study showed that 99% of Bobcats were delusional and had yet to learn their lessons from the past.
No frickin' way that's true. =;

No way you have girlfriend [-X

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

TJMoe82
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TJMoe82 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:Hold on to your hat !! It is coming this year in a big way. GO CATS GO . FTG
This. 8)

Why must we always play the inferior role to um, even in the years we almost certainly aren't?

Expecting to get rolled by the griz has got to be my least favorite Bobcat fan trait. This would be a great year to start expecting (hoping with confidence?) something different.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:06 pm

TJMoe82 wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:Hold on to your hat !! It is coming this year in a big way. GO CATS GO . FTG
This. 8)

Why must we always play the inferior role to um, even in the years we almost certainly aren't?

Expecting to get rolled by the griz has got to be my least favorite Bobcat fan trait. This would be a great year to start expecting (hoping with confidence?) something different.
Here here! The Griz figure FAR too prominently in the Bobcat psyche. Especially in the years when we spent weeks at #1!

TJMoe82
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TJMoe82 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:13 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:
This. 8)

Here here! The Griz figure FAR too prominently in the Bobcat psyche. Especially in the years when we spent weeks at #1!
Just to beat everyone else to the punch... Those years we've been at #1 haven't turned out too spectacular.

But the point stands. Maybe even on a scale beyond the griz... If a large portion of a fan base (which surely includes some extremely close to the program) spends all year expecting the worst, is it really any surprise when the good thing going comes to an abrupt halt?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:21 pm

I know nobody is looking at the playoffs yet, but I hope we don't see Sam Houston and would love to see MSU get another shot at Eastern Washington. The Cats should win out.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Post by 77matcat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:24 pm

What a difference a few years, ok 40, makes 70s through mid eights just assumed we'd thump griz
Last edited by 77matcat on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webdav
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by webdav » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:26 pm

The next one. It's always the next one.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Idaho State puts up 56 today...any want to revisit the poll??? :D

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:57 pm

I think we can outscore ISU. I just watched the SSU and Cal Poly game. I don't think we can stop Cal Poly's triple option. I think they will handle the cats like they handled Sac State today.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

Killdeer Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Killdeer Cat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:48 pm

Weltercat wrote:I think we can outscore ISU. I just watched the SSU and Cal Poly game. I don't think we can stop Cal Poly's triple option. I think they will handle the cats like they handled Sac State today.
I agree. I am definately happy we have two weeks to work on stopping it. I watched the dUMb game and their defense isn't awe-inspiring. Davis was able to move the ball fairly easily against them until they got away from running it right at them. Stopping the option WILL be a huge challenge for our defense.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Personally I'm not as worried about the option this year. They see the read zone everyday in practice. I'm more worried about poly realizing they can pass for 300 by running the same 3 plays...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:15 pm

technoCat wrote:Personally I'm not as worried about the option this year. They see the read zone everyday in practice. I'm more worried about poly realizing they can pass for 300 by running the same 3 plays...
This. Our secondary will be our undoing if we don't start covering receivers like we have a pair.

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by SloStang » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:16 pm

Great week for the Cats to have a bye week with Cal Poly and it's triple option coming up in 2 weeks.

BTW, Cal Poly just knocked off a Sac State 56-27 on the road tonight. I think that is the same Sac State team MSU gave up 56 points and 694 yards against. I am feeling better about Cal Poly's chances.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:29 pm

SloStang wrote:Great week for the Cats to have a bye week with Cal Poly and it's triple option coming up in 2 weeks.

BTW, Cal Poly just knocked off a Sac State 56-27 on the road tonight. I think that is the same Sac State team MSU gave up 56 points and 694 yards against. I am feeling better about Cal Poly's chances.
All remaining games present challenges.However, Cal Poly received my vote...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Definitely heading into the MEAT of the schedule now! :D

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 am

Weltercat wrote:I think we can outscore ISU. I just watched the SSU and Cal Poly game. I don't think we can stop Cal Poly's triple option. I think they will handle the cats like they handled Sac State today.
I haven't seen CP anytime recently, but I do know something about the triple option. Aside from the options, counters, misdirection and reverses going on with the backs, the OL is trapping, angle and influence blocking. It's a whole different world from the spread/pro-sets almost everyone uses today. It's an old school offense often better handled by "mature" defensive coaches who have been around since it was in vogue. There may even have been a time when Coach Ash ran it. If so, I would think he'd be very involved in the game plan. If we try to morph our current defense to fit the triple option we will need to score a boatload of points to win.

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 pm

SloStang wrote:Great week for the Cats to have a bye week with Cal Poly and it's triple option coming up in 2 weeks.

BTW you almost lost to Weber last week. You should remain very worried :D

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 pm

I voted for ISU, because their strength (passing) goes up against our weakness (pass defense). I was going to vote for CP, but our run defense against Weber showed up Big Time, and with 2 weeks to prepare I think will help us to the win. um is a solid team and we could lose to them, but I think the chances of losing to ISU is greater than either CP or um, although we'll have to play well in each game to come out with a win. Certainly um's offense isn't stellar, and I'm not convinced that there defense is all that good either, but anything can happen in the brawl. If the question is, what team would you least want to loose to, my answer would be um. Since the ? is what team do you most fear.....it is ISU. Who woulda thunk it????

FYI, this year the griz get to see film on 4 teams (EWU, UND, SSU, UCD) after we have played those teams in preparing for upcoming games, where the CATS only get to see film on 1 team after um has played them (CP) in preparing for upcoming games. The point being that um will have seen game film on MSU up to 4 times prior to CAT-griz, where MSU will have only seen the griz a max of 1 time prior to Cat-griz. Don't know how big of deal that is when your preparing for MSU's past opponent and not MSU, but having the um coaching staff viewing up to 4 CAT games prior to CAT-griz can't help.