Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Remaining Conference Games:Biggest Challenge?

Weber State
3%
Cal Poly
13%
Portland State
0%
Idaho State
30%
uM
54%

Total votes: 207

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:06 am

So, as we look ahead to the coming games, which team is the most concerning to you? Who will give us the biggest challenge?

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:22 am

I went with UM. . . Although Idaho State could be a tough tough game as well. I can see the guys coming out and really play well against IDST since it will be Senior Appreciation day.

UM has always and will always be the biggest game we have on our regular season. They have a great defense, Wagenman (maybe killed that spelling) is a monster, and I dont see MSU getting 40 points on them. However, their offense has not been great. Luckily for them our defense is even worse right now. I do see Montana State winning the game, but it is going to be a tough one and to me it is the biggest one left. I am excited for UM to play against Sac State and Eastern Washington to play the griz cause those games will be very telling.

Killdeer Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Killdeer Cat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:15 am

I actually fear Poly the most. My fear is that the defense will be so gassed by halftime that Poly will jam the ball down the throats of the defense for the last quarter and a half of the game. Slowly, methodically chewing up yards and keeping the offense off the field. I worry that the last 6 or 8 minutes of the game will see the front seven sucking air so bad that they will be unable to tackle and their fatigue will cause blown assignments in stopping the option. If we play to form, offensively we will strike quickly and the defense will be left to get pounded on the ground for the first two quarters. Unless we can put up some real Madden-esque numbers in the first half, I don't think we get enough possessions in the second half to put it safely out of reach.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:49 am

I say Idaho state. Manly because we know the griz game will be a tough fought battle. They have the best def in the big sky. Idaho St is usually a basement dwelling team in the big sky, but have scored a bunch of points this year. Could be an upset team. Scary

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:20 am

I went with Portland State. Not because I think they can beat the Bobcats, but I don't like their coach and it seems like they have a history of pulling some cheap crap and getting people hurt.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:29 am

Killdeer Cat wrote:I actually fear Poly the most. My fear is that the defense will be so gassed by halftime that Poly will jam the ball down the throats of the defense for the last quarter and a half of the game. Slowly, methodically chewing up yards and keeping the offense off the field. I worry that the last 6 or 8 minutes of the game will see the front seven sucking air so bad that they will be unable to tackle and their fatigue will cause blown assignments in stopping the option. If we play to form, offensively we will strike quickly and the defense will be left to get pounded on the ground for the first two quarters. Unless we can put up some real Madden-esque numbers in the first half, I don't think we get enough possessions in the second half to put it safely out of reach.
In order to chew clock and methodically work their way down the field that would mean the D was tackling the ball carrier after 4-5 yards on each carry. They usually get gashed worse than that.

I was worried about the D after last week but not really anymore. Our offense gets better every week. One or two stops is all they need to build a lead and I do believe their quick strike nature has hampered the D. How many 2-play drives did they have?

That being said the answer is none......none games worry me from here on out in the regular season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F.K.A. - MM7CAT

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 am

I see Idaho State as our biggest challenge. I think uM is definitely over rated and I don't think they can really hang with us for 2 halves. Cal Poly is an interesting call, but it is clear that Idaho State can score points and we will be in for a track meet with them. I think they are the biggest challenge, next uM, next CP.

merff33
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by merff33 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:30 am

ONE GAME AT A TIME!!!!!!!

The CATS should only be worried about Weber State right now and no one else.

OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!!!...........Dude...mark it zero.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:41 am

I wanted to vote for Idaho State just to piss off the griz fans on this board........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:44 am

Killdeer Cat wrote:I actually fear Poly the most. My fear is that the defense will be so gassed by halftime that Poly will jam the ball down the throats of the defense for the last quarter and a half of the game. Slowly, methodically chewing up yards and keeping the offense off the field. I worry that the last 6 or 8 minutes of the game will see the front seven sucking air so bad that they will be unable to tackle and their fatigue will cause blown assignments in stopping the option. If we play to form, offensively we will strike quickly and the defense will be left to get pounded on the ground for the first two quarters. Unless we can put up some real Madden-esque numbers in the first half, I don't think we get enough possessions in the second half to put it safely out of reach.
+1

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:45 am

merff33 wrote:ONE GAME AT A TIME!!!!!!!

The CATS should only be worried about Weber State right now and no one else.
I am sure the Cats are - but we are fans and don't suit up on Saturdays (thank God).

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:59 am

The race for the conference championship begins anew with Weebs. But to play along.... I think ISU has shown that they have what destroys our defense. Montana has a good defense but if we played today I think we embarrass them in Missoula. I'm not so sure against ISU.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:03 am

ISU

Mac's OL will annihilate um's "all world" defense

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:11 am

cats2506 wrote:ISU

Mac's OL will annihilate um's "all world" defense
:thumbup:

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:23 am

DriftCat wrote:
In order to chew clock and methodically work their way down the field that would mean the D was tackling the ball carrier after 4-5 yards on each carry. They usually get gashed worse than that.

I was worried about the D after last week but not really anymore. Our offense gets better every week. One or two stops is all they need to build a lead and I do believe their quick strike nature has hampered the D. How many 2-play drives did they have?

That being said the answer is none......none games worry me from here on out in the regular season.
I agree. I told a buddy yesterday that if the Bobs can get up by two scores, then the defense shouldn't be a concern because UC Dave's offense was designed to control the clock, not light up the scoreboard. For as many short drives as we had, the ending time of possession was not significantly skewed so I'm not buying that our guys were gassed.

I did select Missoula as the toughest game because there have been several times the last few years where we had the better team going into the game, but they still crushed us.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

cat_stache_fever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by cat_stache_fever » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:29 am

Gotta be, always will be UM. NO WAY we're going into WaGriz and dropping 50; not on that defense. I'd say there's a higher possibility of their high school offense putting 50 on our JV defense.

I LOVE our offense right now, but it's unrealistic to expect them to score 50+ points every game. If we're gonna make a playoff run, we're gonna have to play SOME defense. Giving up 37/600 to UCD is pretty bad any way ya spin it.

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bigkid » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:08 am

catsrback76 wrote:I see Idaho State as our biggest challenge. I think uM is definitely over rated and I don't think they can really hang with us for 2 halves. Cal Poly is an interesting call, but it is clear that Idaho State can score points and we will be in for a track meet with them. I think they are the biggest challenge, next uM, next CP.
Legit question.....have you personally watched even one play from scrimmage of a UM game or are you basing your comments on thoughts from bcn and statistics? To answer the original question I would hope fear is not a variable but I would think Weber would be the next concern. A hiccup there would hurt.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:18 am

bigkid wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:I see Idaho State as our biggest challenge. I think uM is definitely over rated and I don't think they can really hang with us for 2 halves. Cal Poly is an interesting call, but it is clear that Idaho State can score points and we will be in for a track meet with them. I think they are the biggest challenge, next uM, next CP.
Legit question.....have you personally watched even one play from scrimmage of a UM game or are you basing your comments on thoughts from bcn and statistics? To answer the original question I would hope fear is not a variable but I would think Weber would be the next concern. A hiccup there would hurt.
Well, as you well know, I watch EVERY game uM plays and I don't see any reason why the Cats should worry. Now, I will grant that on any given Saturday, but all things as they are, the griz cannot hang with the Cats. That does not mean the Cats can stop the griz however, I have no doubt that our "open gate" defense will give the home crowd something to cheer about, but, when the clock ticks 0, the Cats will have won by 10+.

Concerning Weber, no concern. I see Idaho State as our biggest challenge for a loss as I stated.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:18 am

The way our defense is playing, we could lose to ANYONE if our offense doesn't click or we get into trouble with turnovers. UM and ISU are the biggest remaining probs. I don't think PSU is any cakewalk either.

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:20 am

The next one (my standing answer each week that we have this poll).