Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Remaining Conference Games:Biggest Challenge?

Weber State
3%
Cal Poly
13%
Portland State
0%
Idaho State
30%
uM
54%

Total votes: 207

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:I voted for ISU, because their strength (passing) goes up against our weakness (pass defense). I was going to vote for CP, but our run defense against Weber showed up Big Time, and with 2 weeks to prepare I think will help us to the win. um is a solid team and we could lose to them, but I think the chances of losing to ISU is greater than either CP or um, although we'll have to play well in each game to come out with a win. Certainly um's offense isn't stellar, and I'm not convinced that there defense is all that good either, but anything can happen in the brawl. If the question is, what team would you least want to loose to, my answer would be um. Since the ? is what team do you most fear.....it is ISU. Who woulda thunk it????

FYI, this year the griz get to see film on 4 teams (EWU, UND, SSU, UCD) after we have played those teams in preparing for upcoming games, where the CATS only get to see film on 1 team after um has played them (CP) in preparing for upcoming games. The point being that um will have seen game film on MSU up to 4 times prior to CAT-griz, where MSU will have only seen the griz a max of 1 time prior to Cat-griz. Don't know how big of deal that is when your preparing for MSU's past opponent and not MSU, but having the um coaching staff viewing up to 4 CAT games prior to CAT-griz can't help.
Im sure coaches on both sides have watched every single game both teams have played many times over leading up to Cat-Griz!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:46 pm

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:I voted for ISU, because their strength (passing) goes up against our weakness (pass defense). I was going to vote for CP, but our run defense against Weber showed up Big Time, and with 2 weeks to prepare I think will help us to the win. um is a solid team and we could lose to them, but I think the chances of losing to ISU is greater than either CP or um, although we'll have to play well in each game to come out with a win. Certainly um's offense isn't stellar, and I'm not convinced that there defense is all that good either, but anything can happen in the brawl. If the question is, what team would you least want to loose to, my answer would be um. Since the ? is what team do you most fear.....it is ISU. Who woulda thunk it????

FYI, this year the griz get to see film on 4 teams (EWU, UND, SSU, UCD) after we have played those teams in preparing for upcoming games, where the CATS only get to see film on 1 team after um has played them (CP) in preparing for upcoming games. The point being that um will have seen game film on MSU up to 4 times prior to CAT-griz, where MSU will have only seen the griz a max of 1 time prior to Cat-griz. Don't know how big of deal that is when your preparing for MSU's past opponent and not MSU, but having the um coaching staff viewing up to 4 CAT games prior to CAT-griz can't help.
Im sure coaches on both sides have watched every single game both teams have played many times over leading up to Cat-Griz!
I should have stated..."prior to CAT-griz week", not just CAT-griz.

I don't agree that both sides will have watched every single game many times over leading up to CAT-griz, based on simple time constraints. By the time CAT-griz comes around each team will have played 11 games. Assuming a condensed game film time of 2 hours per game, that means by the end of the season there are 22 hours of game film available on your opponent. The coaching staffs essentially have from SU morning until practice on M afternoon (~30 hours) to watch game film and put a game plan into action. Can they continue to review film on M night and Tu...sure, but the bottom line is by the end of the season coaching staffs don't have the same amount of review time per game available that they have earlier in the season. The amount of review time each week is 'fixed' (except bye weeks) and therefore by the end of the season the amount of review time per game decreases.

How much watching your upcoming opponent in past weeks helps I am not sure of. For example, this past week the um coaching staff watched the MSU-UCD game throughly. How many notes they made on the CATS while planning for UCD I don't know. I suspect it was not zero, but is it substantial.....probably not. When CAT-griz week comes around, the um coaching staff will have likely watched 4 of MSU game films, where the MSU coaching staff will have only watched 1 of um's game film. In past years it's been the other way around. Likely not significant, but it can't hurt.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:32 pm

I can pretty much guarantee Ash will have watched film for all the 2014 UM games prior to Cat\Griz. He will have a solid game plan in place and the Cats will be ready. However... that is a month away yet and we have a bye to prep for, as you prep for a dangerous CP game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:

I should have stated..."prior to CAT-griz week", not just CAT-griz.

I don't agree that both sides will have watched every single game many times over leading up to CAT-griz, based on simple time constraints. By the time CAT-griz comes around each team will have played 11 games. Assuming a condensed game film time of 2 hours per game, that means by the end of the season there are 22 hours of game film available on your opponent. The coaching staffs essentially have from SU morning until practice on M afternoon (~30 hours) to watch game film and put a game plan into action. Can they continue to review film on M night and Tu...sure, but the bottom line is by the end of the season coaching staffs don't have the same amount of review time per game available that they have earlier in the season. The amount of review time each week is 'fixed' (except bye weeks) and therefore by the end of the season the amount of review time per game decreases.

How much watching your upcoming opponent in past weeks helps I am not sure of. For example, this past week the um coaching staff watched the MSU-UCD game throughly. How many notes they made on the CATS while planning for UCD I don't know. I suspect it was not zero, but is it substantial.....probably not. When CAT-griz week comes around, the um coaching staff will have likely watched 4 of MSU game films, where the MSU coaching staff will have only watched 1 of um's game film. In past years it's been the other way around. Likely not significant, but it can't hurt.
Ok let me rephrase that...I PROMISE YOU that by the time the Cat-Griz game comes around that both staffs have watched every play from every game...multiple times....and you can take that to the bank!

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:54 pm

I can't help but think that our defensive coordinator has his plan already set for the Cat Griz game. Seriously has he changed his scheme from any one game to another all season? or made any meaningful and successful in-game adjustments? Rant over.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:54 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:I can't help but think that our defensive coordinator has his plan already set for the Cat Griz game. Seriously has he changed his scheme from any one game to another all season? or made any meaningful and successful in-game adjustments? Rant over.

I laughed.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 am

where is the choice? ALL OF THE ABOVE.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Im worried about all of them. I really thought Ash's November slide might start in October. But, the Cats came out and played decent in the 2nd half. Im thankful there wasnt any October slide. November is here; Ash and Company have a lot to prove when it comes to winning late in the season. Im looking forward to November.

Hating the griz since 02.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:43 pm

The Cats are 6-1 after the bye week under Ash.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:13 pm

btribby wrote:Im worried about all of them. I really thought Ash's November slide might start in October. But, the Cats came out and played decent in the 2nd half. Im thankful there wasnt any October slide. November is here; Ash and Company have a lot to prove when it comes to winning late in the season. Im looking forward to November.
Again, I'm not sure where this is coming from - outside of last year. I'll borrow the numbers that CeltiCat posted in another thread. Although I think 2011 should be 4-2... because we lost to the Griz AND a lost a second round playoff game.

Records for the 2nd half (last 5 games in 11 game seasons and last 6 in 12 game season) of the season since 2010:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 pm

catatac wrote:
btribby wrote:Im worried about all of them. I really thought Ash's November slide might start in October. But, the Cats came out and played decent in the 2nd half. Im thankful there wasnt any October slide. November is here; Ash and Company have a lot to prove when it comes to winning late in the season. Im looking forward to November.
Again, I'm not sure where this is coming from - outside of last year. I'll borrow the numbers that CeltiCat posted in another thread. Although I think 2011 should be 4-2... because we lost to the Griz AND a lost a second round playoff game.

Records for the 2nd half (last 5 games in 11 game seasons and last 6 in 12 game season) of the season since 2010:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3
Its 4-1 counting regular season only. I wouldn't consider losing in the playoffs as part of a second half collapse, especially consider the losses were to UND, which went on to win three straight titles, and SHSU, which went to the title after beating us. Last years 3-3 mark was more a product of injuries than anything Ash or the coaches did.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:43 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
catatac wrote:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3
Its 4-1 counting regular season only. I wouldn't consider losing in the playoffs as part of a second half collapse, especially consider the losses were to UND, which went on to win three straight titles, and SHSU, which went to the title after beating us. Last years 3-3 mark was more a product of injuries than anything Ash or the coaches did.

It's not what the coaches did but rather what they didn't do and that is not living up to their often chanted mantra of next man up. There were too many times when an injured player played when the next man up would have provided the team a better chance of success. Bottom line is they need to practice that mantra as much as they speak it.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
catatac wrote:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3
Well if that's the case, the numbers aren't correct then.

2013 we won five in a row then lost the last three. That is the only late season melt down that I see. 5-3
2012 we won five in a row, including beating UM, winning a playoff game, lost playoff game in the 3rd round. 5-1
2011 we won 9 in a row, lost to UM, won a playoff game, lost playoff game in the 3rd round. 10-2
2010 we won 4 in a row, including beating UM, lost playoff game in the 2nd round. 4-1
2009 we won three in a row, lost to UM, missed the playoffs. 3-1
2008 we won four in a row, lost to UM, missed the playoffs. 4-1

Another way to look at this is... between 2008 and 2012, the only "late season losses" we suffered were against UM, SHSU, and NDSU. Keep in mind, UM used to be very, very good.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:06 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
catatac wrote:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3
I think if you actually looked at the scores, rather than just the W-L record, you'd find that there's some credence to the "second half dropoff" theory. The average PPG has generally been significantly lower in the second half of the season, as compared to the first half, or in some cases it was the first 2/3 versus the last 1/3. When I have more time, I'll go back and look up the scores, and provide documentation.

catdaddy7
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catdaddy7 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:53 pm

John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
catatac wrote:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3
I think if you actually looked at the scores, rather than just the W-L record, you'd find that there's some credence to the "second half dropoff" theory. The average PPG has generally been significantly lower in the second half of the season, as compared to the first half, or in some cases it was the first 2/3 versus the last 1/3. When I have more time, I'll go back and look up the scores, and provide documentation.
I'll go along with that but I'm wondering if at least part of that is due to deteriorating weather later in the year. With all due respect to DMG he had a tough time hanging onto the ball when it got cold. We'll see if Prukop has the same difficulty.

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:10 pm

catdaddy7 wrote:
John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
catatac wrote:

2010 - 4-1
2011 - 4-1
2012 - 4-1
2013 - 3-3
I'll go along with that but I'm wondering if at least part of that is due to deteriorating weather later in the year. With all due respect to DMG he had a tough time hanging onto the ball when it got cold. We'll see if Prukop has the same difficulty.
Yes, if you're going to try to use stats to support your thesis, then be sure to look at more than just the score or total yards. There are a lot of variables. Weather conditions, quality of opponent, injuries, etc.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am

Well since the rest of the BigSky and most of the country just figures the Cats will start ****** their litter box the last 4 weeks of the season...there must be something wrong, theyre basing it off something.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:Well since the rest of the BigSky and most of the country just figures the Cats will start ****** their litter box the last 4 weeks of the season...there must be something wrong, theyre basing it off something.
Couldn't be S*!%head griz fans making stuff up. Nah. :roll:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

KittieKop wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:Well since the rest of the BigSky and most of the country just figures the Cats will start ****** their litter box the last 4 weeks of the season...there must be something wrong, theyre basing it off something.

LOL, exactly. Here, let me play that game. Everyone knows the Griz are just about to head into their late season slide, losing a bunch of games in November... because they always do. Fact.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:45 am

catatac wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

LOL, exactly. Here, let me play that game. Everyone knows the Griz are just about to head into their late season slide, losing a bunch of games in November... because they always do. Fact.
For all the games and playoff appearances that place at the confluence of the Clarks Fork and Bitterroot has made, don't they have the record for losing in the Championship game? That would make them the number one losers of all time.