Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Remaining Conference Games:Biggest Challenge?

Weber State
3%
Cal Poly
13%
Portland State
0%
Idaho State
30%
uM
54%

Total votes: 207

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Of remaining games, who's the most to be feared?

Post by SloStang » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Bobcat Steve wrote:
SloStang wrote:Great week for the Cats to have a bye week with Cal Poly and it's triple option coming up in 2 weeks.

BTW, Cal Poly just knocked off a Sac State 56-27 on the road tonight. I think that is the same Sac State team MSU gave up 56 points and 694 yards against. I am feeling better about Cal Poly's chances.

BTW you almost lost to Weber last week. You should remain very worried :D
You are correct, we struggled to put away Weber State away on the road. You struggled to put them away at home. They are certainly better than their record. Should be great game between two good programs. It will be even more exciting if Cal Poly can hand Montana a loss this weekend and NAU can take down EWU. If that happens it will have huge Big Sky Championship implications and the winner will be at the top of the standings with two/three games to go.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:34 pm

SloStang wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:
SloStang wrote:Great week for the Cats to have a bye week with Cal Poly and it's triple option coming up in 2 weeks.

BTW, Cal Poly just knocked off a Sac State 56-27 on the road tonight. I think that is the same Sac State team MSU gave up 56 points and 694 yards against. I am feeling better about Cal Poly's chances.

You are correct, we struggled to put away Weber State away on the road. You struggled to put them away at home. They are certainly better than their record. Should be great game between two good programs. It will be even more exciting if Cal Poly can hand Montana a loss this weekend and NAU can take down EWU. If that happens it will have huge Big Sky Championship implications and the winner will be at the top of the standings with two/three games to go.
I might be off on remembering the remaining schedules... but who would only have two games to go in league play after this weekend?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:43 pm

catatac wrote:
SloStang wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

I might be off on remembering the remaining schedules... but who would only have two games to go in league play after this weekend?
I think everyone will have 3 or 4 games remaining after this Saturday, rather than 2 or 3.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 pm

John K wrote:
catatac wrote:
SloStang wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

I think everyone will have 3 or 4 games remaining after this Saturday, rather than 2 or 3.
He said after they play us (that's next Saturday ) not after this Saturday.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:24 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
John K wrote:
catatac wrote:
SloStang wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

He said after they play us (that's next Saturday ) not after this Saturday.
Gotcha...I obviously misread that part.

Killdeer Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Killdeer Cat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
catatac wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:Well since the rest of the BigSky and most of the country just figures the Cats will start ****** their litter box the last 4 weeks of the season...there must be something wrong, theyre basing it off something.
Couldn't be S*!%head griz fans making stuff up. Nah. :roll:

LOL, exactly. Here, let me play that game. Everyone knows the Griz are just about to head into their late season slide, losing a bunch of games in November... because they always do. Fact.
For all the games and playoff appearances that place at the confluence of the Clarks Fork and Bitterroot has made, don't they have the record for losing in the Championship game? That would make them the number one losers of all time.
dUMb is the Denver Broncos of FCS.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:46 pm

How do I change my vote from the griz to Cal Poly? : :shock:

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't understand why anyone would realistically pick the griz as our toughest remaining game. Some of you guys are worse than the jokers who vote on the weekly FCS poll positions.

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:52 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Weltercat wrote:I think we can outscore ISU. I just watched the SSU and Cal Poly game. I don't think we can stop Cal Poly's triple option. I think they will handle the cats like they handled Sac State today.
I haven't seen CP anytime recently, but I do know something about the triple option. Aside from the options, counters, misdirection and reverses going on with the backs, the OL is trapping, angle and influence blocking. It's a whole different world from the spread/pro-sets almost everyone uses today. It's an old school offense often better handled by "mature" defensive coaches who have been around since it was in vogue. There may even have been a time when Coach Ash ran it. If so, I would think he'd be very involved in the game plan. If we try to morph our current defense to fit the triple option we will need to score a boatload of points to win.
I agree here. It takes a diciplined defense and some speedy linebackers to stop the triple option. I just don't see the bobcats even slowing these guys down. It could be a score fest for sure...

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:18 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:I voted for ISU, because their strength (passing) goes up against our weakness (pass defense). I was going to vote for CP, but our run defense against Weber showed up Big Time, and with 2 weeks to prepare I think will help us to the win. um is a solid team and we could lose to them, but I think the chances of losing to ISU is greater than either CP or um, although we'll have to play well in each game to come out with a win. Certainly um's offense isn't stellar, and I'm not convinced that there defense is all that good either, but anything can happen in the brawl. If the question is, what team would you least want to loose to, my answer would be um. Since the ? is what team do you most fear.....it is ISU. Who woulda thunk it????

FYI, this year the griz get to see film on 4 teams (EWU, UND, SSU, UCD) after we have played those teams in preparing for upcoming games, where the CATS only get to see film on 1 team after um has played them (CP) in preparing for upcoming games. The point being that um will have seen game film on MSU up to 4 times prior to CAT-griz, where MSU will have only seen the griz a max of 1 time prior to Cat-griz. Don't know how big of deal that is when your preparing for MSU's past opponent and not MSU, but having the um coaching staff viewing up to 4 CAT games prior to CAT-griz can't help.
Im sure coaches on both sides have watched every single game both teams have played many times over leading up to Cat-Griz!
I should have stated..."prior to CAT-griz week", not just CAT-griz.

I don't agree that both sides will have watched every single game many times over leading up to CAT-griz, based on simple time constraints. By the time CAT-griz comes around each team will have played 11 games. Assuming a condensed game film time of 2 hours per game, that means by the end of the season there are 22 hours of game film available on your opponent. The coaching staffs essentially have from SU morning until practice on M afternoon (~30 hours) to watch game film and put a game plan into action. Can they continue to review film on M night and Tu...sure, but the bottom line is by the end of the season coaching staffs don't have the same amount of review time per game available that they have earlier in the season. The amount of review time each week is 'fixed' (except bye weeks) and therefore by the end of the season the amount of review time per game decreases.

How much watching your upcoming opponent in past weeks helps I am not sure of. For example, this past week the um coaching staff watched the MSU-UCD game throughly. How many notes they made on the CATS while planning for UCD I don't know. I suspect it was not zero, but is it substantial.....probably not. When CAT-griz week comes around, the um coaching staff will have likely watched 4 of MSU game films, where the MSU coaching staff will have only watched 1 of um's game film. In past years it's been the other way around. Likely not significant, but it can't hurt.
How do you get 2 hours of game film out of 60 minutes of game? they are watching cutouts grouped by situations which are done by an intern so the coaches don't have to do the whole thing alone.

Also the defense is watching the opponents offense and vice versa, so it is averaging 30 minutes of film for each coaching group per game.

I have heard that they usually use 3 games so that's 90 minutes of film, plus anything from other games that somebody thinks needs looked at so maybe 2 hours of film per coaching group per opponent should cover it pretty well.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

SloStang
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by SloStang » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:47 pm

SloStang wrote:
Bobcat Steve wrote:

Well Cal Poly beats UM and NAU takes down EWU setting up a huge game next weekend between MSU and Cal Poly. Can not wait. Should be a great game.

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:00 am

Yes sir. Good luck. Can not wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killdeer Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Killdeer Cat » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:32 am

Doc3kgt wrote:I don't understand why anyone would realistically pick the griz as our toughest remaining game. Some of you guys are worse than the jokers who vote on the weekly FCS poll positions.
Agreed. All you pants-pissers who picked dUMb and ISU over Poly need to have your heads examined. Poly is the worst matchup we have all year. Offensively, if we play fast break football we expose our defense by putting them back on the field too often and we get trucked the entire second half. If we take the air out of the ball, we expose our defense by keeping them on the field for long extended drives and we get trucked in the 4th quarter. To be successful, we are going to have to be able to figure out how to score early and often while not letting the defense get worn down early. Then be able to shift gears and slow down to a crawl in the second half to keep the ball out of Poly's hands. We have not been able to accomplish this thus far. These guys are better than both ISU and dUMb on both sides of the ball. Not to mention the fact that you have to be absolutely assignment sound to stop the triple option, and defensively we have shown nothing which can be remotely considered sound.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:36 am

Killdeer Cat wrote:
Doc3kgt wrote:I don't understand why anyone would realistically pick the griz as our toughest remaining game. Some of you guys are worse than the jokers who vote on the weekly FCS poll positions.
Agreed. All you pants-pissers who picked dUMb and ISU over Poly need to have your heads examined. Poly is the worst matchup we have all year. Offensively, if we play fast break football we expose our defense by putting them back on the field too often and we get trucked the entire second half. If we take the air out of the ball, we expose our defense by keeping them on the field for long extended drives and we get trucked in the 4th quarter. To be successful, we are going to have to be able to figure out how to score early and often while not letting the defense get worn down early. Then be able to shift gears and slow down to a crawl in the second half to keep the ball out of Poly's hands. We have not been able to accomplish this thus far. These guys are better than both ISU and dUMb on both sides of the ball. Not to mention the fact that you have to be absolutely assignment sound to stop the triple option, and defensively we have shown nothing which can be remotely considered sound.
Yes and no. We need to score and score a lot. Watching the um game if we build a two or three score lead poly will be pressed to score more which means more passes. They missed on more passes than the Griz broke up last night. They can slow themselves down on offense and I think we will do ok with there run game. Poly is going to have a ton of yards but I am hopeing they won't have enough time to score a ton of points with them playing behind.

If it's close at half we are in trouble if we go to half with a lead I think we can pull out the win.

Idaho state actually scares me more we haven't proven we can stop an accurate QB this year

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 am

You know the problem with a lot of people on here is that it has nothing to do with what Montana did. Who the F cares, I am glad they lost but it has no affect on our game.We are a much better team. The Cats are going to go out there next Saturday and play CP and it doesn't make one bit of difference what the grizz did. As someone said in another post "you pants pissers need to get over it". GO CATS GO, and congratulations for being first in the conference.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:23 am

i actually like the match up with poly. we don't defend the pass well and they don't pass. we defend the run pretty well and that's all they do. we rush the ball better than any team they'll see and they give up nearly 200 yards on the ground. this should be a great game but one i think the cats will win.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:37 am

Killdeer Cat wrote:
Roster wise, we have the best talent and depth of any team at our level. We are in great shape, IMO, with our base 4-3. Where we could screw up is with the 6-1, 4-4, and 6-2 because they'll waggle the hell out of us leaving our corners on an island letting the receivers run all over back there.

Geez, I love well executed option football but even more, I enjoy watching gap sound and disciplined DLs and LBs, which we have only had the opportunity to view twice this year for the entire game, and that's on the coaching but I'm not about to complain about that given the overall team success.

I think we shut down the buck sweep, their leads and dives and get set up for the counter-trey, but Barnett and the rest of the secondary shine! I get more than a little upset when I see corners and safeties among a team's tackling leaders. I like to think our quarterback makes the best decisions on the field and we have so many options for him to deliver to that it's not a game by the fourth quarter if our DL and LBs stay assignment sound an entire game.

cat_stache_fever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by cat_stache_fever » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:41 am

I'd like to change my vote to THE BOBCATS. We're in the driver seat. We should be favored in all of our remaining games. The key now is to avoid the typical Ash-Cats slide and not beat ourselves.

We were almost in the same spot last year when EWU derailed our season...

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:42 am

We had this discussion leading up to EWU and I think we play the same way we did that day. Our strength is our offense and we don't want to stifle that in any way. I think we score as often and as quick as we can. Face it Cat fans, our O is built to put up points fast. With Cramsey at the helm the whole point is to keep defenses off balance by running the offense at a fast pace. I hate the idea of pulling back the reins on our offense to compensate for the defense.
All season long we've won despite our defense and it's to late to change the formula now. Their is a number of points that Cal Poly is gonna be open to giving up. If it's 50 you take everyone of them and don't pass up any opportunities to score in the name of ball control and then you hope that our defense gets enough breaks/good plays where those points add up to a win.

Robert Martin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Robert Martin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:54 am

ilovethecats wrote:i actually like the match up with poly. we don't defend the pass well and they don't pass. we defend the run pretty well and that's all they do. we rush the ball better than any team they'll see and they give up nearly 200 yards on the ground. this should be a great game but one i think the cats will win.
Exactly.. watched the game with an exgriz lineman and we thought the same thing. A balanced offense with great passing attack will be tough for them to defend.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk