Grade thru 5 games

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Grade thru 5 games

Post by John K » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:54 pm

catatac wrote:
John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
gtapp wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
SaxCat wrote:I still think the Cats will lose one of the games in California. I'm not sold on this team being as great as people are talking about until they win on the road. I'm excited that the Cats are better than I thought they would be, but I could still see them struggling away from Bozeman with the three long trips to California coming up. I'm thinking 2-1 for California as the most likely outcome and 1-2 as the worst case.

Also, I'm excited to actually go to the games in Sacramento and Davis! See you there!
Not sure why you think that. Law of averages? MSU has won five straight in California, including twice in 2012. Haven't lost there since 2005.
The last time we beat Cal Poly was what the 60's? Sac has always been close games when at Sac and Davis has been an issue at Davis. So yes either 2-1 or 1-2 in CA. My guess 2-1.
1960? Since you've established yourself as someone unwilling to look anything up on your own, I'll inform you that the last time we beat CPSLO was 1996. We've lost 7 straight since then with the last coming in 2005.
OK, but that's still almost 20 years ago, and 7 straight losses is a significant losing streak. If you're looking for good omens though, we had lost 7 straight to EWU before pounding them 30-7 in 2010, so maybe 7 is our magic "streak breaking" number. My prediction that we'll lose 1 of the 3 Cali games isn't really based upon historical data though. I just think that even though we should be favored against all three teams, I believe all of them are good enough to beat us if we aren't at our best, or at least very close to it. The odds would suggest that we may be just enough "off" in one of the three games, so that one of those teams will bite us. We don't have any bottom dwellers on our road schedule this year. All of our "gimme" games are at home.
I'm not sure about that, but we'll see. I'm still pretty amazed that Sac got pummeled by... ISU? EWU beat UC Davis way worse than us, and Cal Poly looks to be struggling as well. Not sure where they'll all end up when the dust settles. Having said all that, I'm not trying to disrespect any of those three programs and it's not always easy to travel to CA and win. However, Ash coached teams usually seem to do very well on the road. I think the stats back me up on that but I'm too lazy to look them up. :lol:
Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think any of the Cali teams are playoff caliber this year, but I do believe that all of them are good enough to beat us, if we are a bit off our game, which can always happen when you're on the road. And I'd also say that all four of our road opponents are better than any of the four teams that we play at home this season. All of our home games are against 2013 bottom feeders, although both ISU and WSU appear to be significantly improved this season.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:38 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:Offense: A-
QB: A+. Biggest surprise of year.
Line: B-, Eekhoff D and needs a tutor.
RB's: A-. We need somebody stronger up the middle.
WR's: B+

Defense: B-. Disappointment vs. probably too high expectations.
Line: C.
Backers: B-
Secondary: A-

Spec Teams: A+

2-2 is exactly in line with what I expected. I am thinking we solid 7-4 this year and maybe, 8-3. If we play like we did last week against "better" teams, I think 6-5 or 7-4, but the competition also seems to look weaker ala Cal Poly and Sac State.
We're 3-2, not 2-2. We play 12 games, not 11, so we can't go 7-4, 8-3.
Man, I gotta pay attention and step away from the bong apparently. No I mis-typed the 2-2. The remainder is just pure brain farting. We are min 7-5. Perhaps 8-4.

cat_stache_fever

Post by cat_stache_fever » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:41 pm

Offense: A
Prukop has exceeded expectations, and we seem to be able to move the ball at will. See what happens when the fall/winter weather take hold

Defense: D
I LOVE the players we have on defense, but it seems there's been pockets in EVERY game this year where we've looked completely clueless and lost. IF we fade, it will likely be because of this unit and Marshall's vanilla scheme.

Special Teams: A
Minus one or two gaffes, this unit has been a VERY pleasant surprise. Kicking game is strong.

Games in California don't worry me; late season cold weather games do. I'm not sure if our defense was built for November and December. We have the talent to run the table, but I wouldnt be shocked if we dump 1-2 games in November.

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:06 pm

cat_stache_fever wrote:Offense: A
Prukop has exceeded expectations, and we seem to be able to move the ball at will. See what happens when the fall/winter weather take hold

Defense: D
I LOVE the players we have on defense, but it seems there's been pockets in EVERY game this year where we've looked completely clueless and lost. IF we fade, it will likely be because of this unit and Marshall's vanilla scheme.

Special Teams: A
Minus one or two gaffes, this unit has been a VERY pleasant surprise. Kicking game is strong.

Games in California don't worry me; late season cold weather games do. I'm not sure if our defense was built for November and December. We have the talent to run the table, but I wouldnt be shocked if we dump 1-2 games in November.
It's been mostly the offense that's been responsible for our late season slides the last few years, more so than the defense. If you look at our points per game in the first 2/3 of the season, versus the final 1/3 plus playoffs, from 2010-2013, there's been a significant decline every single year. Some people seem to believe that D-Mac wasn't a very good cold weather QB, but I think there's been more to it than that. Cramsey's offense seems to be a bit more dynamic than what we ran during DM's career, so maybe that will help us to avoid the same late season dropoff this year.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 pm

9-3 with only loss to the grizzlies. Don't think the BSC is as strong as everyone thought. Playoff bound.

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:03 pm

10 - 2 They stomp the frizz and if you think they loose in the next two weeks I believe you must not be very familiar with the team make up. Check the rooster , BIG WINS, GO CATS GO!!! :D :D :D

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 pm

I'd give MSU straight A's and I still consider the defense the strongest unit on the team. Especially considering it was their first game the Bobcats did an amazing job against Arkansas State for a long stretch on defense. They absolutely controlled BHSU (42-10 at half) a team averaging just under 500 yards/game since playing MSU, UCA (37-13 with 10 minutes to play) and team that had twice as many points on Texas Tech in the same time frame and UND (26-7 at half; 29-10 to start fourth quarter) other than a few self-inflicted wounds. They probably beat themselves against EWU. Despite the injuries, MSU is getting better every time they step on the field. The injuries are merely building depth and revealing strengths.

UCA got 214 of its 462 in the fourth quarter after trailing 37-13 and the game out of reach.
UND got 112 of its 293 yards in the last 13 minutes with the game in hand.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Exactly :goodpost:

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I would give them a C-. But, I think its mainly terrible coaching. Of course, that wont be changing anytime soon. :roll:

Hating the griz since 02.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:26 pm

btribby wrote:I would give them a C-. But, I think its mainly terrible coaching. Of course, that wont be changing anytime soon. :roll:
Earl Solomonson is terrible coaching. You apparantly don't know terrible coaching.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:59 pm

Lol, hey - just think, we could have Delaney!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 am

Offense, B+. love prukop, hate the 4th and 1's... no push at all.

Defense B. They do way better than I could ; and I have no other basis for judging them. :D

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:58 am

catman50 wrote:
catatac wrote:
John K wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
gtapp wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
SaxCat wrote:I still think the Cats will lose one of the games in California. I'm not sold on this team being as great as people are talking about until they win on the road. I'm excited that the Cats are better than I thought they would be, but I could still see them struggling away from Bozeman with the three long trips to California coming up. I'm thinking 2-1 for California as the most likely outcome and 1-2 as the worst case.

Also, I'm excited to actually go to the games in Sacramento and Davis! See you there!
Not sure why you think that. Law of averages? MSU has won five straight in California, including twice in 2012. Haven't lost there since 2005.
The last time we beat Cal Poly was what the 60's? Sac has always been close games when at Sac and Davis has been an issue at Davis. So yes either 2-1 or 1-2 in CA. My guess 2-1.
1960? Since you've established yourself as someone unwilling to look anything up on your own, I'll inform you that the last time we beat CPSLO was 1996. We've lost 7 straight since then with the last coming in 2005.
OK, but that's still almost 20 years ago, and 7 straight losses is a significant losing streak. If you're looking for good omens though, we had lost 7 straight to EWU before pounding them 30-7 in 2010, so maybe 7 is our magic "streak breaking" number. My prediction that we'll lose 1 of the 3 Cali games isn't really based upon historical data though. I just think that even though we should be favored against all three teams, I believe all of them are good enough to beat us if we aren't at our best, or at least very close to it. The odds would suggest that we may be just enough "off" in one of the three games, so that one of those teams will bite us. We don't have any bottom dwellers on our road schedule this year. All of our "gimme" games are at home.
I'm not sure about that, but we'll see. I'm still pretty amazed that Sac got pummeled by... ISU? EWU beat UC Davis way worse than us, and Cal Poly looks to be struggling as well. Not sure where they'll all end up when the dust settles. Having said all that, I'm not trying to disrespect any of those three programs and it's not always easy to travel to CA and win. However, Ash coached teams usually seem to do very well on the road. I think the stats back me up on that but I'm too lazy to look them up. :lol:
I will be at the game both this weekend and next. Will you?
No, I won't be at either. 6 home games and Cat\Griz. Otherwise it's TV for me.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:10 pm

catscat wrote:
btribby wrote:I would give them a C-. But, I think its mainly terrible coaching. Of course, that wont be changing anytime soon. :roll:
Earl Solomonson is terrible coaching. You apparantly don't know terrible coaching.
Well when you put it that way... :)

I've actually been pleasantly surprised at the Defensive Scheme this year. Love the Amoeba/Radar look that's been employed at times on 3rd downs to try to disguise coverages. Still need more DL push/disruption on obvious passing downs, but almost every team says this at the FCS level (besides NDSU).

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:25 pm

Uh...egriz style posting is supposed to be constrained to the 2nd Half No Show thread. [-X Take it there please.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:41 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:
Uh...egriz style posting is supposed to be constrained to the 2nd Half No Show thread. [-X Take it there please.
Im just disappointed in Ash. I thought he would be better. Is he good? Of course. Is he great? Not even close. Is he a great recruiter? Absolutely. I think we have seen what Ash will bring to MSU. Solid teams on the field that will always fall short. Im still happy to be a Bobcat and I will continue to make the 1100 mile trip for every game possible.

Hating the griz since 02.