WR SITUATION McQueary?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

WR SITUATION McQueary?

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:28 am

Why is this kid not playing WR. We have two qb's on the chart and if Prokup gets injured then we pull him from the WR position. Keeping talent on the sidelines is stupid. The other freshman we have playing now will be good in a year or two, but give him some opportunites and them some time to mature and get used to college football. If not I fear we lose him next year. Why would he stay around and sit? Takes someone really buying into the program and I don't see many doing that with his talent. He's as talented as Roderick and could possibly be just as good as receiver. Especially now with Flot out for the year. Not many true freshman going to step up and take over. I haven't seen anyone of them out there who shows they can at this time.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Re: WR SITUATION McQueary?

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:32 am

I'd LOVE to see him play receiver on the 2 deep.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:36 am

Don't forget that he just had major back surgery and is lucky to be playing at all.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:36 am

You don't just say "hey Quinn...go out for a pass!" When they decide to make him a wideout it may take a couple of weeks before he's ready for game action...and he has to earn his way into playing time.

2024 Resume dominance

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:41 am

Helcat72 wrote:You don't just say "hey Quinn...go out for a pass!" When they decide to make him a wideout it may take a couple of weeks before he's ready for game action...and he has to earn his way into playing time.
This is why I would love to see Johnson and or Brekke get in there as a WR more. That way we can have one more back on the field. If its Johnson we can also have Knight in the game as a lone back, Knight and Brekke in the backfield in two back sets and or Knight and Newell. Johnson could still get his touches just from a different spot. We already know he can catch and so can Brekke.

I would love to see a set with Paige, Johnson, Griebel (sp) and Roderick as receivers and a power Knight or Newell in the backfield. Speed all over on the outside with power in the backfield we could tear it up all over the field with that lineup.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:54 am

The father of a freshman wide receiver told me that Quinn McQueary practiced with the wide receivers last week. Practice was closed, so I couldn't confirm for myself. He warmed up with the quarterbacks on Saturday. If he is in fact playing wide receiver, he hasn't cracked the rotation yet.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:56 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:The father of a freshman wide receiver told me that Quinn McQueary practiced with the wide receivers last week. Practice was closed, so I couldn't confirm for myself. He warmed up with the quarterbacks on Saturday. If he is in fact playing wide receiver, he hasn't cracked the rotation yet.
last week you said there was a surprise at WR for the ND game??? who were you talking about?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:00 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:The father of a freshman wide receiver told me that Quinn McQueary practiced with the wide receivers last week. Practice was closed, so I couldn't confirm for myself. He warmed up with the quarterbacks on Saturday. If he is in fact playing wide receiver, he hasn't cracked the rotation yet.
last week you said there was a surprise at WR for the ND game??? who were you talking about?
I probably shouldn't speak on behalf of Colter, but based on his post above, I'd guess that he was talking about McQueary.

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat_gld » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:00 am

I also saw #14 doing some pregame drills with the receivers on Saturday.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:14 am

John K wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
I probably shouldn't speak on behalf of Colter, but based on his post above, I'd guess that he was talking about McQueary.
I was talking about McQueary. I asked a few coaches about the rumored switch and got resounding "absolutely nots", so I didn't write anything. I'll ask at the press conference tomorrow.

spring creek cat

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Ash said in his pregame interview on the radio, that McQueary had practiced at receiver but was basically only going to be available in an emergency situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:53 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Helcat72 wrote:You don't just say "hey Quinn...go out for a pass!" When they decide to make him a wideout it may take a couple of weeks before he's ready for game action...and he has to earn his way into playing time.
This is why I would love to see Johnson and or Brekke get in there as a WR more. That way we can have one more back on the field. If its Johnson we can also have Knight in the game as a lone back, Knight and Brekke in the backfield in two back sets and or Knight and Newell. Johnson could still get his touches just from a different spot. We already know he can catch and so can Brekke.

I would love to see a set with Paige, Johnson, Griebel (sp) and Roderick as receivers and a power Knight or Newell in the backfield. Speed all over on the outside with power in the backfield we could tear it up all over the field with that lineup.
That is a good use of Johnson and or Brekke, and has not gone entirely unnoticed by Cramsey - Johnson has had two good catches out of the slot where he motioned (without getting the hand-off ) and continued with a wheel route to the opposite side. I haven't noticed any more plays where they have worked out of the slot but that could be just because I have not noticed it.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Are all of the practices closed from here on out?

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

Catzfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catzfan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 pm

catgrad05 wrote:

Either Johnson or Brekke could be used just as the Seahawks use Percy Harvin, both are those types of players.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:02 am

I think we have some decent receivers right now, I just want to see the o-line pull it together and actually give Prukop a pocket to throw from. This was supposed to be the best O-line in the conference, and they are good, but they aren't owning defenses like I thought they would. Prukop has been sacked a lot, and seems like he has to create a play to many times. I think Paige is a stud and Gates (#19?) needs to see a lot more playing time. Plus, I never understand why we don't throw to our tight ends more.

Punters are people too!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:19 am

GoCats18 wrote:. Plus, I never understand why we don't throw to our tight ends more.
Tiai is 3rd on the team in catches. Don't worry, everybody in this offense gets their day.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:22 am

GoCats18 wrote:I think we have some decent receivers right now, I just want to see the o-line pull it together and actually give Prukop a pocket to throw from. This was supposed to be the best O-line in the conference, and they are good, but they aren't owning defenses like I thought they would. Prukop has been sacked a lot, and seems like he has to create a play to many times. I think Paige is a stud and Gates (#19?) needs to see a lot more playing time. Plus, I never understand why we don't throw to our tight ends more.
I agree that the O-line has been good so far, but certainly not great. It's the biggest and most experienced O-line that we've had in recent memory, and quite frankly, I expected better. As has been noted several times already, they also haven't had very good pushes on the numerous 3rd/4th and 1 plays that we've had in the last two games.

rippinandtearin
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rippinandtearin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:10 am

I have some complete hearsay that McQueary possibly desires to move to WR. The story is that he and Prukop are too close in age and McQueary just wants to play and contribute to the team. Rumor is that he has requested to move to WR.

catpound

Post by catpound » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:20 am

The coaching staff needs to find a way to get him on the field, WR seems to be the logical choice, he is too talented to be standing on the sidelines in a red hat. At least the throwback pass they tried to Prukop would probably work better if Quinn was out there to throw it with some some zip on it and Dakota might not get killed that way! I did notice him on there on the "hands" team when they were expecting an onsides kick.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Colter just tweeted that McQueary will work heavily at WR for the rest of this season while remaining the #3 QB.

Also that Roderick will practice today.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk