Freshman getting playing time

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Freshman getting playing time

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:53 am

Lots of really talented True Freshman and Redshirt Freshman getting a TON of playing time this year.

Marino
FA'anono (sp?)
Garcia
Paige
Herbert
Gates
Daly

Along with several other big names redshirting

Collins
Yates
King
Sullivan
Dodd
Prevost- he could come back?
Amos

Question- Out of all the current True Freshman and Redshirt Freshman, who will have the biggest careers when it is all said an done?

My picks:
Defense- Marino would be the obvious choice, but verdict is still out if he can get his head straight. I am a HUGE fan of Garcia and think he could end of being one of the all time greats at Safety.
Offense- Both Paige and Herbert are basically going to be 4 year starters... crazy. I'm going with Herbert, reminds me of a more athletic Bleskin.

Lot of really good young talent, the future looks bright!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Re: Freshman getting playing time

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 am

mslacatfan wrote:Lots of really talented True Freshman and Redshirt Freshman getting a TON of playing time this year.

Marino
FA'anono (sp?)
Garcia
Paige
Herbert
Gates
Daly

Collins
Yates
King
Sullivan
Dodd
Amos

Question- Out of all the current True Freshman and Redshirt Freshman, who will have the biggest careers when it is all said an done?

My picks:
Defense- Marino would be the obvious choice, but verdict is still out if he can get his head straight. I am a HUGE fan of Garcia and think he could end of being one of the all time greats at Safety.
Offense- Both Paige and Herbert are basically going to be 4 year starters... crazy. I'm going with Herbert, reminds me of a more athletic Bleskin.

Tough to say. They're all good and have just scratched the surface of what they can do. With Flotkoetter out either Herbert or Paige is gonna be a four year starter and will have huge career numbers. Maybe both with Roderick ailing.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:32 am

Noticed Alley had playing time as well. I really like Garcia. I think before the season is over he displaces Barnett.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:00 am

catscat wrote:Noticed Alley had playing time as well. I really like Garcia. I think before the season is over he displaces Barnett.
Not gonna happen. Garcia is the nickel back.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:05 am

Barnett has had some CRAZY good plays. Kidding me?

Darth Yoda

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:57 am

Barnett is an underrated player this year. No question that we suffered a serious downgrade in the defensive backfield when he didn't play. With that said, Garcia has been playing very well as a nickel and will be a very good player next year as a full time starter. This is a perfect development year for Garcia.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:04 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

My picks:

You read my mind, especially Garcia and Herbert. After seeing the latter play, it is really next man up with the Cats.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:08 pm

Am I missing something here? I will be honest, I do not know much about d-line play, but I just do not see Marino as a dominant player as people rave about. I specifically watched him last game to see what i was missing. I got nothing out of it,which tells me you guys are still jacked on his "3star" status or I really don't know defense. Which is very possible. So is Marino performing really well and I don't know what to look for, or is at the same level as all the rest of the guys on the defense?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Marino has a huge upside and is physical as imposing a player as we've had in quite a while.

That being said, he still has a lot to learn. DE is not an easy position for a true freshman, one who didn't even play football for a year, to come in and excel at. The fact that he is holding his own is encouraging to me. But no he isn't ripping teams apart, not yet. I think he will get there, maybe not this year but next or even into his junior year.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:42 pm

4thecats wrote:Am I missing something here? I will be honest, I do not know much about d-line play, but I just do not see Marino as a dominant player as people rave about. I specifically watched him last game to see what i was missing. I got nothing out of it,which tells me you guys are still jacked on his "3star" status or I really don't know defense. Which is very possible. So is Marino performing really well and I don't know what to look for, or is at the same level as all the rest of the guys on the defense?
Agreed. I watched Marino on many plays, and I am still waiting to see this 3-star take over the game at times, but haven't seen it yet,Hopefully he will settle in and do just that soon.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:45 pm

CelticCat wrote:Marino has a huge upside and is physical as imposing a player as we've had in quite a while.

That being said, he still has a lot to learn. DE is not an easy position for a true freshman, one who didn't even play football for a year, to come in and excel at. The fact that he is holding his own is encouraging to me. But no he isn't ripping teams apart, not yet. I think he will get there, maybe not this year but next or even into his junior year.
Yep, I think people are forgetting that he is a Freshman (and STARTING at DE which is impressive). I have been watching him as well and he seems to try and overpower his guy too much instead of using his hands/technique and leverage to get by the guy (note: this might also be why he is often gassed out there/conditioning). This will come with more experience, but he has all the physical tools to be a great one at MSU (assuming he gets his head on straight and follows the rules :) ).

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 pm

4thecats wrote:Am I missing something here? I will be honest, I do not know much about d-line play, but I just do not see Marino as a dominant player as people rave about. I specifically watched him last game to see what i was missing. I got nothing out of it,which tells me you guys are still jacked on his "3star" status or I really don't know defense. Which is very possible. So is Marino performing really well and I don't know what to look for, or is at the same level as all the rest of the guys on the defense?
That is just stupid. I'm not high on Marino because of a 3 star rating...... I'm high on Marino because he is a 4 star.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Yes. You're missing something. Marino plays Strong End. He ends up getting double teamed by the TE and OT regularly. In the old days you just lined your ends up and they stayed put. Nowadays the ends wait for the OL and put the bandit over the open end of the OL and the strong end goes to the TE side. Also, this was the first team we've played with a straight drop back passer. Previous games had systems that make it difficult to get sacks or tfls. And, Marino is second on the team in QB hurries despite sitting a game and playing sparingly vs UND.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:44 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Yes. You're missing something. Marino plays Strong End. He ends up getting double teamed by the TE and OT regularly. In the old days you just lined your ends up and they stayed put. Nowadays the ends wait for the OL and put the bandit over the open end of the OL and the strong end goes to the TE side. Also, this was the first team we've played with a straight drop back passer. Previous games had systems that make it difficult to get sacks or tfls. And, Marino is second on the team in QB hurries despite sitting a game and playing sparingly vs UND.
So what you are saying is he's out of shape? 8-[

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Doc3kgt
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Doc3kgt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:03 pm

I like Paige, guys is fast as hell. A few more reps to get some experience and he will be our big play guy, kind of like Henderson for the griz.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:31 pm

mslacatfan wrote:Lots of really talented True Freshman and Redshirt Freshman getting a TON of playing time this year.

Marino
FA'anono (sp?)
Garcia
Paige
Herbert
Gates
Daly

Collins
Yates
King
Sullivan
Dodd
Amos

My picks:

Personally I think we'll good this year, damn good next year and in the race for NC in 2 years. We have lots of young talent on this team, lots of 3 and 4 year starters coming up. Plus the player we already have will get better with time. We are loaded at WR for the next 4 years.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:21 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
If you notice as well, MSU has revamped its Viper third down package to more aply resemble a radar defense. It includes two corners (Keeton, Flowers), two safeties (Marshall and Barnett), a nickel (Garcia, four linebacker (Moore, Singleton, Young and Moeakiola), one defensive end with his hand down (Coe) and one standup defensive end. The standup has sometimes been Marino, but the last two games, it's been Zach Hutchins. Third downs are the best chance for sacks, hence why Marino's pass rushing stats may not be eye-popping.

Also, even great players like Brad Daly and Caleb Schreibeis padded their stats against bad teams. Daly had four sacks against Colorado Mesa last year. Marino was only about 50 percent condintiong wise for the Black Hills game and every other opponent has been quality. Once MSU enters the meat of their conference schedule and his conditioning continues to improve, he'll start to stand out more I'd imagine.

catpound
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catpound » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:56 am

Right now after watching Marino alot in this young season he is as overblown, overhyped player as I can remember at MSU since I've been watching (1984). He is not producing pass rush, not making plays in the run game, and has been suspended for a game. Through 4 games he has 7 total tackles- 4 solo; 1 tackle for loss and 0 sacks. he looks like he is out of shape, which should not be the case after all fall camp and 4 games to get in shape. I have to admit he does look really good in pads, but so far he is not producing. all that being said you can tell he has skills and definitely the body/strength to be a great player, right now it appears his mind set is not right and maybe it never will be. I foresee him being a 1 yr player here, he just seems like he is not that into it.

Early in their careers it looks like Garcia- he seems to always be around the ball and a playmaker; Paige- he has the potential to be a big play, home run hitter type; and Gates- first extensive action was against UND and produced 3 catches for 85 yds, have the potential to have excellent careers.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:50 pm

catpound wrote:Right now after watching Marino alot in this young season he is as overblown, overhyped player as I can remember at MSU since I've been watching (1984). He is not producing pass rush, not making plays in the run game, and has been suspended for a game. Through 4 games he has 7 total tackles- 4 solo; 1 tackle for loss and 0 sacks. he looks like he is out of shape, which should not be the case after all fall camp and 4 games to get in shape. I have to admit he does look really good in pads, but so far he is not producing. all that being said you can tell he has skills and definitely the body/strength to be a great player, right now it appears his mind set is not right and maybe it never will be. I foresee him being a 1 yr player here, he just seems like he is not that into it.

Early in their careers it looks like Garcia- he seems to always be around the ball and a playmaker; Paige- he has the potential to be a big play, home run hitter type; and Gates- first extensive action was against UND and produced 3 catches for 85 yds, have the potential to have excellent careers.
That's a pretty aggressive statement against a true freshman after just a couple games. He was hobbled by the ankle, did something boneheaded and got suspended. He hasn't played a pure full strength game yet. The speed transition for a true freshman is steep enough. Now compound that with a year off. I'm sure the game hasn't "slowed down" for him yet. Patience. The kid is way too physically gifted to not have him out there getting him to full game speed. He has the tools in the toolbox to become one of the best defensive ends to play here. He'll learn how to use the right tools at the right times.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:24 am

tdub wrote:
catpound wrote:Right now after watching Marino alot in this young season he is as overblown, overhyped player as I can remember at MSU since I've been watching (1984). He is not producing pass rush, not making plays in the run game, and has been suspended for a game. Through 4 games he has 7 total tackles- 4 solo; 1 tackle for loss and 0 sacks. he looks like he is out of shape, which should not be the case after all fall camp and 4 games to get in shape. I have to admit he does look really good in pads, but so far he is not producing. all that being said you can tell he has skills and definitely the body/strength to be a great player, right now it appears his mind set is not right and maybe it never will be. I foresee him being a 1 yr player here, he just seems like he is not that into it.

That's a pretty aggressive statement against a true freshman after just a couple games. He was hobbled by the ankle, did something boneheaded and got suspended. He hasn't played a pure full strength game yet. The speed transition for a true freshman is steep enough. Now compound that with a year off. I'm sure the game hasn't "slowed down" for him yet. Patience. The kid is way too physically gifted to not have him out there getting him to full game speed. He has the tools in the toolbox to become one of the best defensive ends to play here. He'll learn how to use the right tools at the right times.
Imagine what he will be like AFTER a full year in our conditioning program!!! :shock: