2nd half no shows

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Re: 2nd half no shows

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:13 pm

5yearfreshman wrote:I've been to Nebraska and Notre Dame games in the last few years and both have, no reentry policies. 80,000 to 95,000 people and it works for them....I like my beer as good as the next guy (in fact my wife thinks better than the next guy) but it will be the only way to get the seats full for the second half. Beer sales inside the stadium is a no brainier to me.....
Yeah, outside of UM and MSU, I've never seen re-entry policies as liberal as the ones we currently have either. I do think it's important to let people have re-entry for things like running to the car to get something or to warm up in bad weather, and I think that sort of thing could be accomplished with communications to the fans. Basically, if the tailgates were shut down and halftime, but beer was sold in the stadium (along with enough bathrooms, etc.) there would be no motivation to leave the stadium for most people, and we'd have a rowdy house for the whole game. We'd also push a lot more revenue to MSU, which isn't a bad thing.

Obviously, the huge hurdle to get over politically would be the beer in the stadium issue, but it seems like the pendulum is swinging in the right direction on that, and that it may not even be that controversial as time passes. We'd need to have some "no beer" sections for people who don't want to be around it, of course, but little things like that wouldn't be terribly hard to put into place.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:18 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:Oh. Brother longtime that is a rotten comparison I suspect you are at a very high elevation you know where the oxygen molecules have expanded and you're not getting enough to your brain. Or maybe you just have a negative reaction to anything BAC posts. :-^
:lol:
Still waiting for your explanation :eyeroll:
If you can't figure it out on your own then there's no point in trying to explain it to you via text.
Just as I thought... You can't explain it because really, it doesn't make sense. :eyeroll:
Except that you yourself and everyone around here knows that no matter how rational a point is, or how much sense it makes, you won't even entertain the idea as being right because you can't stand to be wrong about anything.
Now you're just being petty. Clearly you can't explain it because you're in full defensive mode. It's ok, nobody sees the correlation either.
Yeah I'M being petty. :roll:
You're such a joke of a poster here it's not even funny. I'm not going to teach you like you're kindergarten. The only thing petty in this thread you stating that alumni in other states that can't attend games can't have an opinion on game day matters.
I didn't say they CANT have an opinion, I just said, it's irrelevant. :shrug:

So when does your infamous line G.E.A.B.O.D show up which usually appears when someone says something you disagree with.
No that's only for asshat grizz trolls.

And wow, the level of whatever it was (idiocy?) you just typed is astounding.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:20 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:I've been to Nebraska and Notre Dame games in the last few years and both have, no reentry policies. 80,000 to 95,000 people and it works for them....I like my beer as good as the next guy (in fact my wife thinks better than the next guy) but it will be the only way to get the seats full for the second half. Beer sales inside the stadium is a no brainier to me.....
Yeah, outside of UM and MSU, I've never seen re-entry policies as liberal as the ones we currently have either. I do think it's important to let people have re-entry for things like running to the car to get something or to warm up in bad weather), and I think that sort of thing could be accomplished with communications to the fans. Basically, if the tailgates were shut down and halftime, but beer was sold in the stadium (along with enough bathrooms, etc.) there would be no motivation to leave the stadium for most people, and we'd have a rowdy house for the whole game. We'd also push a lot more revenue to MSU, which isn't a bad thing.

Obviously, the huge hurdle to get over politically would be the beer in the stadium issue, but it seems like the pendulum is swinging in the right direction on that, and that it may not even be that controversial as time passes. We'd need to have some "no beer" sections for people who don't want to be around it, of course, but little things like that wouldn't be terribly hard to put into place.
On a funny side note, a buddy we know who works with MSU said that someone texted the "help" number Saturday stating they needed beer and gave section, row, and seat number. :lol:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:22 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:Oh. Brother longtime that is a rotten comparison I suspect you are at a very high elevation you know where the oxygen molecules have expanded and you're not getting enough to your brain. Or maybe you just have a negative reaction to anything BAC posts. :-^
:lol:
Still waiting for your explanation :eyeroll:
If you can't figure it out on your own then there's no point in trying to explain it to you via text.
Just as I thought... You can't explain it because really, it doesn't make sense. :eyeroll:
Except that you yourself and everyone around here knows that no matter how rational a point is, or how much sense it makes, you won't even entertain the idea as being right because you can't stand to be wrong about anything.
Now you're just being petty. Clearly you can't explain it because you're in full defensive mode. It's ok, nobody sees the correlation either.
Yeah I'M being petty. :roll:
You're such a joke of a poster here it's not even funny. I'm not going to teach you like you're kindergarten. The only thing petty in this thread you stating that alumni in other states that can't attend games can't have an opinion on game day matters.
I didn't say they CANT have an opinion, I just said, it's irrelevant. :shrug:

So when does your infamous line G.E.A.B.O.D show up which usually appears when someone says something you disagree with.
No that's only for asshat grizz trolls.

And wow, the level of whatever it was (idiocy?) you just typed is astounding.
Clearly this is going nowhere, so I'll bow out.

Keep in mind, that if anyone reads a game thread, they'll find your lunacy running rampant.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:24 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
Yeah, outside of UM and MSU, I've never seen re-entry policies as liberal as the ones we currently have either. I do think it's important to let people have re-entry for things like running to the car to get something or to warm up in bad weather), and I think that sort of thing could be accomplished with communications to the fans. Basically, if the tailgates were shut down and halftime, but beer was sold in the stadium (along with enough bathrooms, etc.) there would be no motivation to leave the stadium for most people, and we'd have a rowdy house for the whole game. We'd also push a lot more revenue to MSU, which isn't a bad thing.

On a funny side note, a buddy we know who works with MSU said that someone texted the "help" number Saturday stating they needed beer and gave section, row, and seat number. :lol:
Reminds me of my first week of college in the dorms. Looking at the sheet of phone numbers we were given, we saw "Drug and Alcohol Services" listed ... so we called it and tried to place an order. They were very rude. :D

MeerKat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MeerKat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:27 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:Before you two get into a little pissy match, let's remain on topic.

MSU has the benefit of having great accessibility to tailgating right outside of the stadium. People tend to bring better food, better drinks and there is better halftime entertainment there for them during the half as compared to inside.

Like BAC said, until the concessions, drinks and entertainment are up to par or better than what can be had out in the tailgate at halftime, this issue will always be present.

Exactly!

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:40 pm

BAC so routinely wins these debates in blowout fashion it's comical. If this was football the score would be around 63-3. I run the complete range from frustrated to embarrassed after reading LTCF's posts.

MeerKat

Post by MeerKat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:42 pm

This is stupid,

MSU has a record enrollment this year and it keeps breaking the record every year it seems. So I don't think us not having fans in the stadium at the start of the second half effects that much for a student picking out where they want to go to college. Maybe the TV station should show how much support the team and the university have by the amount of tents and flags there are in the tailgating areas at halftime. It would show how much money is spent on officially licensed Montana State apparel, tents, and other trinkets that people buy for their tailgate and to show support. Show how people have spent X amount of dollars to engineer their own custom MSU BBQ, Vehicle, and so on. I think showing how much enjoyment you can get outside the game as well as inside the game would help bring 18 to 20 year olds to the campus. Tailgating is part of MSU, by this point the team and coaches should know that the stadium might look at little emptier to start the 2nd half. The players should be just as pumped up to do their job and get more pumped up when people start pilling back in. Until they make it not a choice this will be an issue and when they take it away you may lose some of the record breaking crowds we have seen the last 4 to 5 years. Its something to get used to and lets drop this conversation forever!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:52 pm

MeerKat wrote:This is stupid,

MSU has a record enrollment this year and it keeps breaking the record every year it seems. So I don't think us not having fans in the stadium at the start of the second half effects that much for a student picking out where they want to go to college. Maybe the TV station should show how much support the team and the university have by the amount of tents and flags there are in the tailgating areas at halftime. It would show how much money is spent on officially licensed Montana State apparel, tents, and other trinkets that people buy for their tailgate and to show support. Show how people have spent X amount of dollars to engineer their own custom MSU BBQ, Vehicle, and so on. I think showing how much enjoyment you can get outside the game as well as inside the game would help bring 18 to 20 year olds to the campus. Tailgating is part of MSU, by this point the team and coaches should know that the stadium might look at little emptier to start the 2nd half. The players should be just as pumped up to do their job and get more pumped up when people start pilling back in. Until they make it not a choice this will be an issue and when they take it away you may lose some of the record breaking crowds we have seen the last 4 to 5 years. Its something to get used to and lets drop this conversation forever!
Why does any of that make it "stupid" to discuss ways to potentially make things even better? Why would we drop a conversation "forever" that could well lead to even better things for MSU in coming years? If you don't personally enjoy the conversation, it's perfectly reasonable to ignore it (as most of us do with countless topics), but it certainly doesn't seem like a "stupid" topic for people who are interested to discuss.

As for what the TV broadcast shows ... not sure we could get them to do that kind of special tailgating feature for us for each game (although I'd love for them to do so as well), so we're often stuck with doing what we can to make the game itself look like a rowdy and fun atmosphere in a standard TV football game telecast format.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Darth Yoda wrote:BAC so routinely wins these debates in blowout fashion it's comical. If this was football the score would be around 63-3. I run the complete range from frustrated to embarrassed after reading LTCF's posts.
Did you just come here to hurl insults like CatBlitz? Or did you have something to add?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Spot on!

MeerKat

Post by MeerKat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:16 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:

Why does any of that make it "stupid" to discuss ways to potentially make things even better? Why would we drop a conversation "forever" that could well lead to even better things for MSU in coming years? If you don't personally enjoy the conversation, it's perfectly reasonable to ignore it (as most of us do with countless topics), but it certainly doesn't seem like a "stupid" topic for people who are interested to discuss.

As for what the TV broadcast shows ... not sure we could get them to do that kind of special tailgating feature for us for each game (although I'd love for them to do so as well), so we're often stuck with doing what we can to make the game itself look like a rowdy and fun atmosphere in a standard TV football game telecast format.
Whats stupid is that we have this same discussion every year. Nothing is going to change so why do we keep bringing it up? All we do is find out who likes to tailgate and who prefers to stay in the game. Their is a reason MSU hasn't and won't change this. Because the majority of the fans like it as seen by the amount that leave the stadium.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:20 pm

So you know for sure that this won't change with regards to the stands being full after halftime in the coming years? You're sure that MSU will never sell beer in the stadium?

Well, I'm not sure about that, and I'm not sure how anyone could be sure about that. Obviously lots of other people aren't sure about either of those things, either. So we will probably continue to see people brainstorm and opine on this topic for years to come. Who knows, maybe if enough people opine that they want beer sold in the stadium on this board, that will actually accelerate the process? And maybe, just maybe, the more this is discussed, the more vigilant people will be about getting back to their seats after halftime, even if no changes are made? That would seem like a pretty good result as well, right?

You may want to avoid these threads in the future, though, if you think they are stupid. :shrug:

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:50 pm

Its not just about butts in the seats, its also about the number one concern of every athletic dept. in the country, and that's money. MSU is missing out on millions of dollars in lost revenue. I don't think it will be very long before they decide to get that money. Its inevitable. Why do you think that no pro stadium of any sport allows reentry? Concessions are a huge part of their revenue. Face it, college sports are run on money. MSU already sells beer on the west side, there is no reason it can't be expanded

The argument that tailgating at halftime is some sort of sacred tradition is kind of ridiculous. In almost all places, tailgating occurs before and after the game, not during the game. 20 minutes is not enough time to do anything except quickly down a beer. If you would rather sit around and drink, and barbecue, and socialize, why bother to even go to the game? Hell, the University of Utah doesn't sell beer but bars reentry. They sell a lot of soda. Pretty soon, U of U and BYU will be the only campuses that don't sell beer at football games.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Tailgating has become a HUGE cash cow for MSU now. They are continually looking for more avenues to generate funds in this area. Let's take the F lot. 5 years ago, it was first come first serve. 3 years ago, 20 of us said we would pay for a spot on the blvd. MSU said ok for $120 and it would be roughly 15' wide. 2 years ago, they sold 30 spots, narrowed it down to 10' AND upped the price to $250. This year, there are 59 spots sold throughout the F lot. Meanwhile, the standard tailgate lots continue to be full and rates continue to rise there as well.

Why would MSU ever consider damaging that cash cow? As Meercat stated, there is a tremendous amount of time and money spent on not only fees, but equipment, preparation and better food and beverage options. Having that available before, after, and during halftime makes the entire gameday experience more enjoyable which clearly has had an impact which has lead to a boost in ticket sales.

Clearly, MSU has found the "sweet spot" regarding tailgating.

Even Ash has backed off somewhat about getting people back before kickoff. On Cat Chat he said,"I know you've got to get out there and do your thing, but try and make it back sooner." (Or something close to that)

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:09 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Tailgating has become a HUGE cash cow for MSU now. They are continually looking for more avenues to generate funds in this area. Let's take the F lot. 5 years ago, it was first come first serve. 3 years ago, 20 of us said we would pay for a spot on the blvd. MSU said ok for $120 and it would be roughly 15' wide. 2 years ago, they sold 30 spots, narrowed it down to 10' AND upped the price to $250. This year, there are 59 spots sold throughout the F lot. Meanwhile, the standard tailgate lots continue to be full and rates continue to rise there as well.

Why would MSU ever consider damaging that cash cow? As Meercat stated, there is a tremendous amount of time and money spent on not only fees, but equipment, preparation and better food and beverage options. Having that available before, after, and during halftime makes the entire gameday experience more enjoyable which clearly has had an impact which has lead to a boost in ticket sales.

Clearly, MSU has found the "sweet spot" regarding tailgating.

Even Ash has backed off somewhat about getting people back before kickoff. On Cat Chat he said,"I know you've got to get out there and do your thing, but try and make it back sooner." (Or something close to that)
Nobody is talking about getting rid of tailgating. I agree that would be a horrible suggestion. It brings in some revenue (about $30K per year or so, per your numbers?), but more importantly it creates a great pre and post-game atmosphere that makes it a fun day and makes people want to buy tickets for the game. So it's a crucial part of the gameday experience.

The question is -- would people be less likely to go to games if, instead of emptying the stadium at halftime to walk to their cars/tailgates to get a beer and re-entering the stadium later, they could just stay in the stadium for the entirety of the game and buy a beer in the stadium at halftime (or any other time)?

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Ok. Add ten minutes to half time and add a reminder and or a clock that is heard or can be seen by tailgate areas.

IMHO. Won't make matters worse. Most folks in our area just are out for a beer (one) and don't have time or loose track of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:36 pm

I can see how this is such a polarizing topic for people on both sides of the argument. People watching on tv want to see a full and rowdy stadium, and people at the games want to be able to enjoy the full game experience. This is my two cents and is not intended to influence anyone. I've been a season ticket holder in section 111 for 5 years and own two tailgating spots. The game is still the number one reason why I'm there and I always make it back into the stadium no later then one or two mins after the second half starts. I would love to see the stadium full for the second half but to defend tailgaters (at least the ones on the east side because I don't think the rules apply to the west side) MSU limits the tailgating to two hours before the game the short 20 min at halftime then their kicking you out as soon as the game ends. Now, I spend upwards of a hundred dollars a game between food and drinks and would love to be able to enjoy some more time before and after the game then halftime would not matter as much and I might stay in at half. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels this way and im sure there are people that spend way more then I do. Like I said just my two cents thought I would give another perspective.

P.S. This is coming from a full time student working towards their engineering degree while working full time. No, I not rich, my parents are not rich, I am just willing to pay the 2000+ dollars a year to experience bobcat football the way I want to.

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

DicTater

Post by DicTater » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:42 pm

LTCF, I don't think the fee for tailgating in any way approaches the money that MSU can make from selling beer. You say that in Lot F there are 59 spaces at $250 per year which means $14,750 to MSU per year. On the other hand, selling a pint of draft beer at $5 will make about $4 for MSU. If they sell 10,000 beers per game, that is a profit of $40,000 per game, times 6 games equals $240,000 per year. Plus, I don't think that everyone who pays for a tailgate spot will discontinue if they can't go out at half time. No body is suggesting an end to tailgating, just the half time flight.

But, like I said, the decision will ultimately be made on one basis, and that is money. Now, I don't believe that beer sales will begin until the east side stands are constructed. The infrastructure is not available on the east side presently. But, I will guarantee you that the infrastructure (heating, cooling, and plumbing) will be included in new construction and beer money will be used to pay the bonds. It is just too much money to continue to pass up.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:43 pm

Good points, catbacker. Maybe MSU needs to strongly consider extending tailgating hours, especially post-game (for day games, anyway). I assume that would be a good thing for egress traffic on top of it.