Fullback???

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CATSx2
New Recruit

Fullback???

Post by CATSx2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:48 am

I know we run a spread offense, but when we need three inches why can't we put the qb under center and the backs in the I formation. In my opinion the back would get a better head of steam going forward instead of waiting for the qb to get the ball and hand off. Look at what happened the one time Prukopp went under center. Just saying in short yardage situations.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Fullback???

Post by Counter Assault » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:02 am

If I remember right, they sort of sniffed out everything we did up the middle. SJ and Knight both got stuffed hard a couple times.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:38 am

Even in pro style offenses, you are not seeing many fullbacks. It's a position you won't be seeing much of, especially in college. Could one be used? Sure. But they are different ways of getting those inches in today's offensives.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by 4thecats » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:58 pm

I was actually thinking how awesome it would be if Marino and his bad ass attitude could get in on a few short yardage plays.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:01 pm

4thecats wrote:I was actually thinking how awesome it would be if Marino and his bad ass attitude could get in on a few short yardage plays.
I was thinking that too, as I was reading the other posts, holy crap talk about clearing a hole wide open.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:44 pm

CATSx2 wrote:I know we run a spread offense, but when we need three inches why can't we put the qb under center and the backs in the I formation. In my opinion the back would get a better head of steam going forward instead of waiting for the qb to get the ball and hand off. Look at what happened the one time Prukopp went under center. Just saying in short yardage situations.
What worked on that play was that Prukop changed the play, and while he had moved up to the line and was instructing them, he called for the snap took EWU by surprise.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Walk-on
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Walk-on » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:49 am

codecat wrote:
CATSx2 wrote:I know we run a spread offense, but when we need three inches why can't we put the qb under center and the backs in the I formation. In my opinion the back would get a better head of steam going forward instead of waiting for the qb to get the ball and hand off. Look at what happened the one time Prukopp went under center. Just saying in short yardage situations.
What worked on that play was that Prukop changed the play, and while he had moved up to the line and was instructing them, he called for the snap took EWU by surprise.
I thought Prukop would get penalized for the early snap. He was not set for one second and appeared to still be moving forward when he got the snap. Perhaps a lucky break for us there. I liked the call though and think maybe the QB sneaks and dashes would have been more successful on other failed conversions.

Armchair QB and Monday Morning Extraordinaire