The.... Good. Bad. And.. Ugly.. Thoughts?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

The.... Good. Bad. And.. Ugly.. Thoughts?

Post by Counter Assault » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:55 pm

GOOD: #1. MSU's offense is SMOKING HOT. WHITE HOT. #2. I think many would agree, this is easily the loudest and one of the craziest games ever in Bobcat Stadium. The House got Rocked..

Bad. We should have won and we didn't. We could have seen more D pressure during the second half. Couple of turnovers hurt us, but we gave them some too.

Ugly. We should have won and we didn't. At least we weren't the Griz and have to come home from M-Fing Fargo today after losing inside a dome.

I hate to say it, I walked out of that game thinking everyone gave every millimeter of what they had. Hats off to Vernon and EWU's offense - they are simply, ridiculously good.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: The.... Good. Bad. And.. Ugly.. Thoughts?

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Good: MSU's defense held EWU to about 80 rush yards after the first quarter. Defense held VA to a 134 QBR and forced three TOs. MSU has improved every week.

Bad: Dropped passes and fumbles. Failing to make 4th down conversions.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Good: Barnett interception was awesome!
Two sacks in a row right before half!

Bad: couldn't stop Forte

Ugly: Penalties at the worst possible times. Killed our drives, kept theirs alive.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 am

Good: MSU played more than well enough to win, by which I was more than pleasantly surprised. Provided the Cats stay reasonably healthy, I see no reason why they can't run the table in conference play. EWU is the best offensive team we'll play all regular season. I predict many blowouts with this offense this season.

Bad: Officiating, as usual. Just overall shoddy work.

Ugly: Going 0-2 on 2pt. conversions to EWU's 1-1. That was the game. I don't mind going for 2 early in a game against lesser competition, but in a game that figures to go down to the wire and every point will be critical, take the f-ing points, ESPECIALLY in the first half. I hope Ash/Cramsey learned their lesson.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:29 am

I didn't like going for it on 4th at our 40 during the 4th qtr. they immediately scored on that

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:45 am

Good: I thought the coaches game planned this one very well. Though I'm no football expert, they did what I thought gave us the best chance to win -- score fast and score often. Even Forte running all over us I did not think was a big deal. To Jim Marshall's credit (still don't like him), he had to choose between stopping the passing game and stopping the running game and I believe he made the correct decision.

Bad: Unforced errors, e.g. fumbles and failed two pointer.

Ugly: Disappointed with the loss, but very happy with the effort and progress made. If I have to come up with something that's ugly, I'll say that EWU's red turf is heinous.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:49 am

Counter Assault wrote:I didn't like going for it on 4th at our 40 during the 4th qtr. they immediately scored on that
I absolutely loved that call. You beat EWU by scoring more touchdowns than they do, not by being conservative and trying to play a field position game that can be negated by one big play by their offense. I think Ash learned that lesson last year, and did a fantastic job of giving MSU the best possible chance to beat an extremely good opponent.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:55 am

I agree, aggressive is good and we were most of the day. Giving EWU the ball on our 40 is like handing them a touchdown. I think that was unwise, not "aggressive."

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:41 am

I still think that had the cats not run the stupid prevent D on that last 4th & 10 when the eagles had the ball, the cats win.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:44 am

I watched this game in Seattle surrounded by Eagles fans... And they were quiet and sad all game!

The good: The O looks as good as anyone in FCS. Props to the fans that attended the game... YOU WERE LOUD! People not watching our game, which wasn't very many since our game was featured there, were like WHOA that stadium is nuts! that was definitely the loudest I've ever heard bobcat stadium!

The Bad: EWU was particularly vulnerable through the air, I though we should have lit them up more in a few instances, but the total effort was great and we should have won but didn't :(

The Ugly: officiating blew... and it was very frustrating to watch EWU run the ball. Our D I think decided EWU was not going to run the ball I guess, even though everytime VA held the ball out there, sometimes for 10 secs I swear, they ran the ball... It was such a telegraphed run, the whole team should have recognized it 1 sec after the snap. D needs to wake up.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 am

Good: This team can compete! Now we need to win the games we should through the conference schedule (all of them :D ). Fans were awesome, on their feet, and as loud as they could be.

Bad: Would love to see more pressure from the DL - I think they are very good, but could be great. Not sure what to say about 4th downs - loved that we went for it, but just seemed like the eagles knew exactly what we were going to do or had a better effort (again, not sure what to do there).

Ugly: The great smoke out of section 108-110 or 111. What is up with the BBQ under the stands filling the stadium with smoke? Isn't there a better place for this?

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:36 am

The good: THE GAME!

The Bad: the turnovers for the Cats

The Ugly: Giving up the long pass with a minute to go on 4th and forever. ( I know: great pass, good coverage, but....)

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:37 am

Yeah, that's the MSU concession underneath. I agree it's nasty.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:39 am

Counter Assault wrote:Yeah, that's the MSU concession underneath. I agree it's nasty.
Don't even go there!!!!!!!!!

BBQ works no matter where, no matter what!!! :twisted:

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:48 am

The good: The Cat fans

The bad: The idiot next to me that bitches about EVERYthing, even when the Cats run a good play.

The Ugle: The officials, missed calls both ways. If you have the game recorded watch Shawn's run back just before the half. Stepped out of bounds at the 29, tackled at 40. Ball spotted at 40. Where do these blind idiots come from?

cat_stache_fever

Post by cat_stache_fever » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:59 am

Good: MSU's offense and special teams. Don't look now, but I think we may have upgraded at the QB position.

Bad: defense is still leaving a ton of plays on the field. Officiating was embarrassing...again.

Ugly: my hangover right now

I hate losing to a bunch of talkative punks like EWU(the majority of their team, some coaches too, we're HIGHLY interested with what the crowd was doing and saying...at all times during the game). That said, crazy, massively entertaining football game between two GREAT teams. Wouldn't be surprised if the Cats run the table. I also wouldn't be shocked if EWU has a bit of a let down next week....don't even know who they play.

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:57 am

Good: Vernon Adams was the 2nd best QB on the field, and it wasn't even very close. 196 vs 134 QB rating. Prukops is clear big sky MVP at this point in the season IMHO....

Bad: o-line can't make a push in short yardage situations; most important 3 times on 4th & short.

Ugly: anemic 4th quarter. Cats led (or were tied) for 59:33. Three games so far with a big drop off in performance. Losing Marino hurt, Dees got hurt early, although he came back. Depth could be a real problem here.

Ugly 2: officiating. Big no calls on the ewu db shove in 1st; chop block that sprung forte on his long TD run; taunting in the end zone. Routinely moving the spot to where prukops knee went down instead of where the ball was.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Lovethecats75 wrote: The Ugle: The officials, missed calls both ways. If you have the game recorded watch Shawn's run back just before the half. Stepped out of bounds at the 29, tackled at 40. Ball spotted at 40. Where do these blind idiots come from?
Yes! That one was literally right in front of me, he stepped way out on his cut back. The line judge was trailing just a few yards behind but totally missed. There were plenty of poor calls both ways, the refs were bad but they were equal opportunity bad.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:40 pm

Forgot to add...

Good: Daly is outstanding on kicking as evidenced by no chatter about that aspect of the game. Deep kick-offs.

Question: Do you think with fans not getting back to their seats quickly (yes, a lot better this game) for the start of the 3rd, it played a part in deferring the kick until the second half (unlike last week)? Stadium did not need to be loud while Cats were on offense...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

suptscott
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by suptscott » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Good: The total team effort, aggressive play calling, shaun john showed up, the crowd actually came back in the third qtr, Hello Mr. Roderrick glad you are back.

Bad: Missed a couple of huge third down stops and dropped passes

Ugly: walking out with a loss after we played so hard

I don't like a loss, but that was the best bobcat game I have ever watched! My throat is horse today.