NCAA Tailgating Rules Discussion

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

NCAA Tailgating Rules Discussion

Post by PapaG » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Some idiot on egriz is trying to say this is an NCAA violation. You'd think those clowns would know that a family BBQ between parents isn't a violation, but I guess not. :lol:

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopi ... ow#p982535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Player Families

Post by tampa_griz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Are you familiar with UMclassof2002's work?

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:17 pm

tampa_griz wrote:Are you familiar with UMclassof2002's work?
He used to post on this board, didn't he? I was trying to read up on the UM/NDSU game a bit, and saw that thread. Good luck against NDSU. I'm actually pulling for you guys!

What a ride

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:20 pm

PapaG wrote:
He used to post on this board, didn't he? I was trying to read up on the UM/NDSU game a bit, and saw that thread. Good luck against NDSU. I'm actually pulling for you guys!
Yeah he still does from to time. Perhaps the funniest poster out there.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 pm

tampa_griz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
So he was being sarcastic, I assume? PlayerRep thinks otherwise. :lol:

What a ride

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:27 pm

PapaG wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
So he was being sarcastic, I assume? PlayerRep thinks otherwise. :lol:
I assume so. His post ended with the following:

Freebies to players families are void where prohibited, prohibited where void, and void AND prohibited where not allowed.

PR doesn't have a very good sense of humor.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:02 pm

I honestly don't know if it's a violation or not. I haven't seen any tweets come out from @bobcatbylaws. I'm sure they're on top of it

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:05 pm

wbtfg wrote:I honestly don't know if it's a violation or not. I haven't seen any tweets come out from @bobcatbylaws. I'm sure they're on top of it
It's not an NCAA violation for parents of players to get together and tailgate with each other. :roll:

What a ride

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Being that griz fans actually called the CAU coach to correct his quote the week before the game. I'm sure the call to the NCAA has already occurred.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 pm

wbtfg wrote:I honestly don't know if it's a violation or not. I haven't seen any tweets come out from @bobcatbylaws. I'm sure they're on top of it
You need to check which legal section you're checking--I'm pretty certain you meant @bobcatinlaws--maybe they're also in @bobcatbylaws. I'd double check your references...just to be sure.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:53 pm

Isn't the difference with weinergate is that they were feeding players while this is just families without players?

hokeyfine

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Families eating without the players

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:16 pm

hokeyfine wrote:Isn't the difference with weinergate is that they were feeding players while this is just families without players?
There were no families involved in feeding the Griz players. They were booster tailgates. That's what makes this so laughable. The UM fans are on NCAA probation, and they still don't know the rules. :lol:

What a ride

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:27 pm

PapaG wrote:
hokeyfine wrote:Isn't the difference with weinergate is that they were feeding players while this is just families without players?
There were no families involved in feeding the Griz players. They were booster tailgates. That's what makes this so laughable. The UM fans are on NCAA probation, and they still don't know the rules. :lol:
Does anybody really know the rules??

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

grizatwork

Post by grizatwork » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 pm

tdub wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Does anybody really know the rules??
Good point. The rules are shifting sand and they don't apply to the big boys. That being said, players families are considered boosters according to NCAA, so they are booster tailgates technically, but if it is parents getting together, I don't see an issue.

KaliCatFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

TEMP

Post by KaliCatFan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 pm

The recent interest in our tailgate has provided us a few moments of entertainment. Thank you UMClassof2002.
For those that are interested, below are NCAA guidelines.
A couple of points......
1. Although families are not addressed throughout NCAA guidelines, for the sake of this communication, let's take the guidelines to be as strict on families as they are on student athletes.
2. "Exception for benefits provided to other students". Our tailgate has not turned anyone down. We have had students join us who are not athletes and families join us who do not have an athlete student.
3. "An institution may provide or arrange for occasional meals to team members provided by the relative of a student-athlete at any location." Although we certainly wouldn't classify our tailgate to be a meal, if we can provide an occasional meal to players, we can for families.
4. To the Griz who find what we do so fascinating, a simple lesson..... Glass Houses. Glass Houses.
5. To Player Families and others who support us and have stooped by.... Let the tailgate continue! IT IS ALWAYS A GREAT DAY TO BE A BOBCAT!

Extra Benefits

Definition: Extra Benefit (Bylaw 16.02.3) – An extra benefit is any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution’s athletic interests (including fans) to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete’s relative or friend a benefit not expressly authorized by the NCAA legislation. Extra benefit regulations pertain to prospects as well.

According to Bylaw 16.01.1, receipt by a student-athlete of an award, benefit, or expense allowance not authorized by NCAA legislation renders the student-athlete ineligible to compete while representing the institution in the sport for which the improper award, benefit, or expense was received. If the student-athlete receives an extra benefit not authorized by NCAA legislation or an improper award or expense allowance in conjunction with competition that involves the use of overall athletic skill (e.g., “superstar” competition), the individual is ineligible for all sports

Exception for Benefits Available to Other Students (Bylaw 16.01.3) – The receipt of a benefit by a student-athlete or his or her friends that is not authorized by NCAA legislation is not a violation if it is demonstrated that the same general benefit is available to the institution’s students, their relatives, and friends determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability.

Some Guidelines:

You may not provide a prospect of a current student-athlete with money, gifts, loans, flowers, etc.

You many not pay prospects of current student-athletes a fee for speaking engagements, give them free or reduced costs for professional services, pay fees for sports camps, or provide discount merchandise.

You may not allow prospects of current student-athletes the use of an automobile, provide them tickets to athletic or community events, or provide favorable housing arrangements, reduced rent or lodging of any kind.

A student-athlete or the entire team in a sport may receive an occasional meal form an institutional staff member or representative of athletics interest under the following conditions: (1) the meal may be provided in any location in the locale of the institution, (2) meals must be restricted to infrequent and special occasions, and (3) transportation to attend such meals may be provided. Please contact the IWU Athletic Director to arrange this.

An institution may provide or arrange for occasional meals to team members provided by the relative of a student-athlete at any location.

catman50
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by catman50 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:39 pm

KaliCatFan wrote:The recent interest in our tailgate has provided us a few moments of entertainment. Thank you UMClassof2002.
For those that are interested, below are NCAA guidelines.
A couple of points......
1. Although families are not addressed throughout NCAA guidelines, for the sake of this communication, let's take the guidelines to be as strict on families as they are on student athletes.
2. "Exception for benefits provided to other students". Our tailgate has not turned anyone down. We have had students join us who are not athletes and families join us who do not have an athlete student.
3. "An institution may provide or arrange for occasional meals to team members provided by the relative of a student-athlete at any location." Although we certainly wouldn't classify our tailgate to be a meal, if we can provide an occasional meal to players, we can for families.
4. To the Griz who find what we do so fascinating, a simple lesson..... Glass Houses. Glass Houses.
5. To Player Families and others who support us and have stooped by.... Let the tailgate continue! IT IS ALWAYS A GREAT DAY TO BE A BOBCAT!

Extra Benefits

Definition: Extra Benefit (Bylaw 16.02.3) – An extra benefit is any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution’s athletic interests (including fans) to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete’s relative or friend a benefit not expressly authorized by the NCAA legislation. Extra benefit regulations pertain to prospects as well.

According to Bylaw 16.01.1, receipt by a student-athlete of an award, benefit, or expense allowance not authorized by NCAA legislation renders the student-athlete ineligible to compete while representing the institution in the sport for which the improper award, benefit, or expense was received. If the student-athlete receives an extra benefit not authorized by NCAA legislation or an improper award or expense allowance in conjunction with competition that involves the use of overall athletic skill (e.g., “superstar” competition), the individual is ineligible for all sports

Exception for Benefits Available to Other Students (Bylaw 16.01.3) – The receipt of a benefit by a student-athlete or his or her friends that is not authorized by NCAA legislation is not a violation if it is demonstrated that the same general benefit is available to the institution’s students, their relatives, and friends determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability.

Some Guidelines:

You may not provide a prospect of a current student-athlete with money, gifts, loans, flowers, etc.

You many not pay prospects of current student-athletes a fee for speaking engagements, give them free or reduced costs for professional services, pay fees for sports camps, or provide discount merchandise.

You may not allow prospects of current student-athletes the use of an automobile, provide them tickets to athletic or community events, or provide favorable housing arrangements, reduced rent or lodging of any kind.

A student-athlete or the entire team in a sport may receive an occasional meal form an institutional staff member or representative of athletics interest under the following conditions: (1) the meal may be provided in any location in the locale of the institution, (2) meals must be restricted to infrequent and special occasions, and (3) transportation to attend such meals may be provided. Please contact the IWU Athletic Director to arrange this.

An institution may provide or arrange for occasional meals to team members provided by the relative of a student-athlete at any location.

Have a blast this Saturday! Sorry I wont be there but I will be watching the game. I will see you at Sac State right?

KaliCatFan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by KaliCatFan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Yes. See you at Sac State! Should we check out NCAA rules before we all sit together? :D We are looking forward to California!

BWahlberg

Post by BWahlberg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:27 pm

PapaG wrote:Some idiot on egriz is trying to say this is an NCAA violation. You'd think those clowns would know that a family BBQ between parents isn't a violation, but I guess not. :lol:

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopi ... ow#p982535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A player parent also later classified as a booster by the NCAA helped a player out who was not their son and that was one major point in the UM's violation.

Just sayin.

bobcatmaniac

Post by bobcatmaniac » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:14 am

BWahlberg wrote:
PapaG wrote:Some idiot on egriz is trying to say this is an NCAA violation. You'd think those clowns would know that a family BBQ between parents isn't a violation, but I guess not. :lol:

A player parent also later classified as a booster by the NCAA helped a player out who was not their son and that was one major point in the UM's violation.

Just sayin.
I believe the "help" you are referring to was bail money. This, my friend, is different #-o #-o #-o