Weekly Predictions Game: Week 4 vs Eastern Washington

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Weekly Predictions Game: Week 4 vs Eastern Washington

Post by vike_king » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:06 pm

clawman wrote:
Weltercat wrote:I might have to change my prediction. I am starting to think this might be like in 2010 when EWU won their NC. They hung 37 on the griz the previous week and the cats held them to 7 points in Bozeman. Taiwan Jones ran all over the field in every game except against the cats.
Jones was beat up on the bottom of the pile that game and was out for several games after that. It was a good thing in the long run though because the Eagles became more balanced and you know the rest of the story.
This year the Eagles have far more depth at running back and wide receiver. The impact of VA going down would be difficult to overcome during this game so I would expect the Bobcats to be doing whatever is necessary to take him out.
I thought he got hurt when he tried to jump over a tackler and got flipped ass-over-teakettle. He landed hard.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:22 pm

CelticCat wrote:I used to get pretty upset at refs, thinking that a holding call in the 1st quarter that brought back a 30 yard run on 3rd and 15 could change the whole outcome of a game. I slowly came to realize over time that reffing rarely affects the final score (in the rare cases where a touchdown is taken away that was obviously in bounds, etc). Good teams will win regardless. Bad calls generally go both ways, and teams move on and overcome.

Then of course I became a ref last year so my view has changed even further to that point. There are going to be games where reffing is questionable, to straight out bad, but if you let it defeat you then you deserve to lose IMO. Mentally tough teams don't let a bad call affect them.

As far as Big Sky reffing goes - there is a severe ref shortage in many areas of the county, including in Washington state where I ref. Hell, last year was my FIRST year reffing any sport of any kind ever, and I ended up reffing 3 varsity games, and have done one each of the first 2 weeks this year so far. There used to be a time in my association where you wouldn't even sniff a varsity game until maybe your 3rd year of doing JV, B and middle school games. I am nowhere near ready for many of the things that happen on a Friday night, but basically I'm thrust out there because we don't have enough guys.

This trickles up - a generation of refs who have been doing it forever are retiring, and no one is replacing them. Reffing is hard, and the best of the best obviously work their way up, but I can't imagine Big Sky refs make that much money. If you are a talented ref, you aren't going to be in the Big Sky very long, if at all, especially if numbers keep declining.
Isn't it interesting that we are more critical of a ref of a sporting event than we are of our elected officials.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

bigkid
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bigkid » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:46 pm

This has the making of a fun day and good football game. Giving the nod to msu. 35-30.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:18 am

And when someone registers on the board seemingly for the purpose of posting an allegation, that's the reaction you get.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:30 am

As much as I would love to see the cocky eags go down... I just cant see it happening.

Grass field slows them down a little.

Eags 42
cats 19

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:49 am

Go Scats Go wrote:As much as I would love to see the cocky eags go down... I just cant see it happening.

Eags 42
cats 19
Grass? Are they playing at Bozeman High?

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:16 am

tdub wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:As much as I would love to see the cocky eags go down... I just cant see it happening.

Eags 42
cats 19
Grass? Are they playing at Bozeman High?
I think somebody was on grass with that score prediction, and it wasn't Kentucky blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77