Music

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Music

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:01 pm

The kickoff music is the biggest problem I think. The song is very cool and great to listen. But you can not yell or sing or get into it verbally at all.

Just play the same song they played for years on kickoffs. I remember you could yell/sing to it and could jump up and down. It did a great job of getting the student section and everyone else going!

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Am I the only one who has ever heard of "Cat Scratch Fever"? Great riffs, and, like so many other songs you guys have referenced in the 2 or 3 times it has appeared in the last two years it has never come CLOSE to the killer chorus lines. After a score instead of between plays for example?

Surfandski
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Surfandski » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:29 pm

I said this somewhere else and I'll say it again: A few thoughts about the new announcer- yes, he's new, and yes, he's different, but I say give the guy a break. Tyler was here for 8 years (?) and we get used to specific things. Announcing is a very hard job, and I think he's handling it very, very well.

I think anyone who has ever done announcing or public speaking knows how difficult that is. Let's give the guy more than two games to become perfect. Willing to do it yourself? If not, be reasonable.

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Surfandski wrote:I said this somewhere else and I'll say it again: A few thoughts about the new announcer- yes, he's new, and yes, he's different, but I say give the guy a break. Tyler was here for 8 years (?) and we get used to specific things. Announcing is a very hard job, and I think he's handling it very, very well.

I think anyone who has ever done announcing or public speaking knows how difficult that is. Let's give the guy more than two games to become perfect. Willing to do it yourself? If not, be reasonable.
The music has nothing to do with the announcer. Different people

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:36 pm

tagleason wrote:Am I the only one who has ever heard of "Cat Scratch Fever"? Great riffs, and, like so many other songs you guys have referenced in the 2 or 3 times it has appeared in the last two years it has never come CLOSE to the killer chorus lines. After a score instead of between plays for example?
As for an avg ted nugent song. No I wouldn't say that is the pump up jams that we are looking for. You can always find songs that some people love to rock to. But when DJing for an entire stadium you are looking for songs that most people recognize and the majority of people will get pumped up.

Not a select few

Surfandski
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Surfandski » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:44 pm

sdsyvie wrote:
Surfandski wrote:I said this somewhere else and I'll say it again: A few thoughts about the new announcer- yes, he's new, and yes, he's different, but I say give the guy a break. Tyler was here for 8 years (?) and we get used to specific things. Announcing is a very hard job, and I think he's handling it very, very well.

Yes, true, I know, but people were complaining before, I thought I would jump in. I have to say, I think it's all difficult at the beginning of the season, especially with all new people in the music, announcer, board, etc,, trying to figure everything out. Have some mercy people. It's game two!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:52 pm

I remember back when I was in school we did " the kids aren't alright" by the offspring before kickoff. Try NOT getting jacked up during that song.

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:56 pm

Surfandski wrote:
sdsyvie wrote:

Yes, true, I know, but people were complaining before, I thought I would jump in. I have to say, I think it's all difficult at the beginning of the season, especially with all new people in the music, announcer, board, etc,, trying to figure everything out. Have some mercy people. It's game two!

That's fair

But I know msusportsinfo has had people on here before taking feedback etc.

Surfandski
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Surfandski » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:01 pm

sdsyvie wrote:
Surfandski wrote:
sdsyvie wrote:

That's fair

But I know msusportsinfo has had people on here before taking feedback etc.
Full disclosure- I know the new announcer, and if people want him to work on something, he will. And, I'm sure the music folks would love some feedback too. But good grief, a little positive and constructive feedback goes a long way, and I'm sure would be appreciated.
And, if they are listening, I would love some Kongos and Fallout Boy anytime. :)

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:06 pm

The announcer at the stadium was Jason Walker and the announcer on the radio was Tyler Wiltgen. Which announcer are you referring to?

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:08 pm

Disagree surfandski. I'm betting more than a "very few" people in the building have heard of "Cat Sratch Fever" based on the millions sold. I'd also bet the hard driving licks will garner some attention and the lyrics are pretty self explanatory. Just one of many great songs out there. What happened to Iron Man anyway? Hey, what did you think of Haines?

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:12 pm

Oops. Meant to respond to sdsyvie. My mistake!

AKCat1

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:17 pm

I really miss GNR on defense! I kinda of wish they would have about 6 songs stay throughout the years.

bobcatalum07
New Recruit

Post by bobcatalum07 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Hey guys-
Just wanted to give a quick explanation as to the possible reasons why it's been a rough start for the crew working behind the scenes. I've done music for the last two and a half years for all sports (including football) and graduated in December. Like myself- a lot of the team I started athletics with 3 years ago have gone- Jason, Conner, Nathaniel, Leslie. Football is the most overwhelming sport when it comes to sound effects/music because its constant and you have to be ready on the fly- in between music for huddles etc. I left my playlists of football music but the kid running the music is going through his first season of football as an intern running music. I'm not sure msusportsinfo checks bobcat nation frequently anymore, so I would recommend an email up to the athletics office if there's a general consensus that there are areas of opportunity.

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:29 pm

Good info and great advice. Thanks!

AKCat1

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:40 pm

bobcatalum07 wrote:Hey guys-
Just wanted to give a quick explanation as to the possible reasons why it's been a rough start for the crew working behind the scenes. I've done music for the last two and a half years for all sports (including football) and graduated in December. Like myself- a lot of the team I started athletics with 3 years ago have gone- Jason, Conner, Nathaniel, Leslie. Football is the most overwhelming sport when it comes to sound effects/music because its constant and you have to be ready on the fly- in between music for huddles etc. I left my playlists of football music but the kid running the music is going through his first season of football as an intern running music. I'm not sure msusportsinfo checks bobcat nation frequently anymore, so I would recommend an email up to the athletics office if there's a general consensus that there are areas of opportunity.
Good first post. Don't know the name of the song that you played before kickoff, but it certainly did get the students, players and the stadium as a whole involved. If you have contact with the new guy, please recommend that he goes back to that. As far as the rest of the tunes, out with the old, (cats scratch fever, isn't gonna get anyone pumped up) and in with the new.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Team10 wrote:
Good first post. Don't know the name of the song that you played before kickoff, but it certainly did get the students, players and the stadium as a whole involved. If you have contact with the new guy, please recommend that he goes back to that. As far as the rest of the tunes, out with the old, (cats scratch fever, isn't gonna get anyone pumped up) and in with the new.
I think you're talking about Zombie Nation from Kerncraft 400 for kickoffs

I liked the AC/DC tradition we had for multiple points in the game.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:32 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Team10 wrote:
I think you're talking about Zombie Nation from Kerncraft 400 for kickoffs

I liked the AC/DC tradition we had for multiple points in the game.
Yep, Zombie Nation, bring it back! I would also recommend Know Your Enemy by Rage Against the Machine for when the defense takes the field.

Surfandski
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Surfandski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:20 am

tagleason wrote:Disagree surfandski. I'm betting more than a "very few" people in the building have heard of "Cat Sratch Fever" based on the millions sold. I'd also bet the hard driving licks will garner some attention and the lyrics are pretty self explanatory. Just one of many great songs out there. What happened to Iron Man anyway? Hey, what did you think of Haines?
Sorry- disagree on what? I love cat scratch fever!

Surfandski
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Surfandski » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:21 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:

The announcer at the stadium was Jason Walker and the announcer on the radio was Tyler Wiltgen. Which announcer are you referring to?
I'm sorry, I meant Jason. I was not paying attention to what I typed. Thanks for clarifying my post.