QB Comparison

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

QB Comparison

Post by onceacat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Two sophomore Quarterbacks in the first game of the season:

One: 14-26 for 142 yards, 0 TDs 2 Ints 84.3 QBR

Two: 16-29 for 183 1 TD 2 Ints 94.3 QBR

One is Dakota Prukop in his first start ever against a blitz happy and super-fast Arkansas St team; the other is D-Mac against a pretty traditional Utah team. DMac also had a year of starts under his belt and had Elvis Apkla and Tanner Bleskin as targets.

Nobody likes to lose, and I think we all would have liked to see a better game last weekend. But I think we were all spoiled by the near miss at SMU last year and we forget how hard it is for an FCS team to hang with any FBS team, let alone one with the successes that Ark St has had.

We went to the playoffs in 2011 with D-Mac. No reason Prukop can't do the same thing this season.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Re: QB Comparison

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 am

Great comparison and I am glad someone did something like this. Dakota has gotten some underserved angst thrown his way the last couple weeks.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:16 am

catgrad05 wrote:Great comparison and I am glad someone did something like this. Dakota has gotten some underserved angst thrown his way the last couple weeks.
Yep great comparison. Prukop will get better and better and things will start to slow down for him. Plus he will always have his WHEELS if a play breaks down and defenses now have that on film to look at so they better have a SPY on him :) He should gain even more confidence this week as well and see a noticeable increase in pocket time which should allow him to set his feet more and delivery the passes on time and accurately.

You can bet with a new QB and a lot of new WR's that we could see teams defense very similar to ASU in a lot of games this year (especially early on). Load the box up and make the QB and WR beat them deep. At least this week though we should have the jets to hit the outside and up with our RB's if they clog the middle and run blitz a lot.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 am

Someone mentioned Prukop reminds them of Saffron from Sac. On the 2 long runs that were called back he really reminded me of Sam Houston's QB when they beat us twice. Nothing too flashy but when the play broke down he can make things happen. I think he is going to be very good.

fsburr1
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by fsburr1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Yes. I have thought of Brian Bell while watching Dakota at practice. I think DP may end up a better performer than Bell.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 pm

Except Bell would never be able to drag Qshawn Lee down by the shirt tail!

2024 Resume dominance

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm

onceacat wrote:Two sophomore Quarterbacks in the first game of the season:

One: 14-26 for 142 yards, 0 TDs 2 Ints 84.3 QBR

Two: 16-29 for 183 1 TD 2 Ints 94.3 QBR

One is Dakota Prukop in his first start ever against a blitz happy and super-fast Arkansas St team; the other is D-Mac against a pretty traditional Utah team. DMac also had a year of starts under his belt and had Elvis Apkla and Tanner Bleskin as targets.

Nobody likes to lose, and I think we all would have liked to see a better game last weekend. But I think we were all spoiled by the near miss at SMU last year and we forget how hard it is for an FCS team to hang with any FBS team, let alone one with the successes that Ark St has had.

We went to the playoffs in 2011 with D-Mac. No reason Prukop can't do the same thing this season.
Really appreciate this post to put things in perspective. To me it also says that our receivers as a group performed about that same as the "legendary" group that Mr. McGhee threw to (i.e. relatively the same number of pass tempts and catches, although we were a little shorter on yardage with A-State).

Edit: Another significant stat that is relative to this discussion are sacs against us: Utah had 2 and A-State had 4.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:06 pm

Helcat72 wrote:Except Bell would never be able to drag Qshawn Lee down by the shirt tail!
Yep. That was a good play by a QB - pretty good hand/arm strength, methinks.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: